Charles Fischer

Tommy Trojan Torment Thread...

...because, "I never said I was noble."

Caleb's every night between now and Saturday...

• Haha 4
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

It isn't a Husky, is it?

• Yikes! 1
  • Haha 3
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

A repeat of that year's running game versus Tommy Troy?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I’m not a Caleb Williams fan but he is an elite college QB and has given it his all (perhaps pressing too much at times, which is understandable given USC’s porous defense).  

Makes you wonder - if Riley can’t win at USC with Caleb, how’s he going to win without him?

• Oh no! 1
  • Whew! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 2

You know what interesting about this reaction is that there are a media folks who are saying "that looks like a man who wants to win and if I am a GM of an NFL team, that's what I want".

I guess.  I've never been a GM or a scout.  I would say that from my perspective I would rather see a guy that jumps off the bench after a loss, walks to the middle of the field, congratulates the winner for a job well done and then leaves the field in dignity.  All the emotions can certainly come out in the locker room, but to have this reaction be the face of my franchise??  I dunno.

I just think this has more of the "Mommy, they didn't play fair" vibe to me versus "I am SICK of losing"....could be my USC dislike showing there.

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

1699163182777-png.440950

• Haha 4
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

800? He’s talking 1st half, right?

• Haha 2

img_2627-jpeg.440868

• Haha 3

Mr. FishDuck

My 8-4 prediction for USuC this season could even be 7-5. Which just brings more joy and laughter

• Like 1

img_2626-jpeg.440870

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Remember when we thought Brady

Hoke and Don Pellum were the worst DCs we'd ever seen?  

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Trojan Tears.jpg

Trojan Tears sweeten my coffee....

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Trojan Tears2.jpg

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I am having WAY too much fun with this...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/5/2023 at 9:29 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

You know what interesting about this reaction is that there are a media folks who are saying "that looks like a man who wants to win and if I am a GM of an NFL team, that's what I want".

I guess.  I've never been a GM or a scout.  I would say that from my perspective I would rather see a guy that jumps off the bench after a loss, walks to the middle of the field, congratulates the winner for a job well done and then leaves the field in dignity.  All the emotions can certainly come out in the locker room, but to have this reaction be the face of my franchise??  I dunno.

I just think this has more of the "Mommy, they didn't play fair" vibe to me versus "I am SICK of losing"....could be my USC dislike showing there.

Williams gave everything he had in that game and I am sure he is down on himself for the two mistakes he made that ‘cost’ his team the game (only because their D is beyond porous).  

He clearly wanted that game and a shot at the P12 title and because he wasn’t perfect he didn’t realize that goal.  

I can totally understand his reaction.  To want something so badly and to give everything you have to get it only to fall just short would gut anyone.  I can’t think of many people that age with the emotional control to hug it out at the end of the game.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Charles you are having way too much fun. You probably should stop but I recommend you pour it on.

Ktmguy 2018, Williams is a great talent but a poor team leader. He gives his all for stats and points, his stats and his points. He strives to win but his team needs his leadership.

You are so right that you want your leader to be front and center. On the front lines encouraging the D to fight on.

Not pouting on the sidelines but leading his team not just in victory but in defeat as well. He is an exceptional talent playing a big boy game.

Next year, if he leaves early, he will be playing a grown man’s game. Time to show that you can take it like a man, no matter what....

I will not underestimate the great sc offense. The Duck D could and will play great and yet could give up 50 points. 

So it’s all hands on deck, total focus, sharp execution and SCORE on every offensive possession.

Until the Duck D takes control of the game....

Nothing matters but improve, beat usc and finish this new week, 1-0..

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/5/2023 at 9:47 AM, CalBear95 said:

I can totally understand his reaction.  To want something so badly and to give everything you have to get it only to fall just short would gut anyone.  I can’t think of many people that age with the emotional control to hug it out at the end of the game.

I totally see what your saying here. 

I guess from my perspective, this was NOT the outlier of his reactions.  His reaction to the Utah loss, to sit on the bench and not go to congratulate the winning quarterback, reactions to the Tulane loss, to the TWO Utah losses last year, and don't get me started on painting the obscenity directed at Utah on his fingernails.

I can completely chalk it up to pouring everything out to win and the sheer emotions pouring out of you when you see all you've worked for down the drain.  However, as a GM, is THIS what I want to see from my franchise quarterback?  Again, I don't know because I have never been a GM.  

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Fight On,😭 LOL

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

From Trojan fans on their own board....

"The Oregon game is going to be brutal. They’ll pile on too in order to make a statement. Could get really ugly."

"I'm not sure I can watch getting blown out by the Zeros."

"Not even going to watch it. My health is more important."

"Lanning is going to try to break records and there's nothing that we'll be able to do to stop him from doing so."

"USC v Oregon will be the first game in many years that I will not watch. It’s gonna be a massacre and my heart can’t take it. I was so drained after yesterday’s game that I’m still drained this morning."

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/5/2023 at 10:02 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

I totally see what your saying here. 

I guess from my perspective, this was NOT the outlier of his reactions.  His reaction to the Utah loss, to sit on the bench and not go to congratulate the winning quarterback, reactions to the Tulane loss, to the TWO Utah losses last year, and don't get me started on painting the obscenity directed at Utah on his fingernails.

I can completely chalk it up to pouring everything out to win and the sheer emotions pouring out of you when you see all you've worked for down the drain.  However, as a GM, is THIS what I want to see from my franchise quarterback?  Again, I don't know because I have never been a GM.  

Ah, that I didn't know. That is definitely not a way I would want to show up (it isn't consistent with my value system) 

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey, give Grinch a break . . . He didn't miss a single tackle, he didn't miss a single assignment, and he didn't line up in the wrong zip code.

He is merely the architect of such plans.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2023 at 10:44 AM, Steven A said:

Hey, give Grinch a break . . . He didn't miss a single tackle, he didn't miss a single assignment, and he didn't line up in the wrong zip code.

He is merely the architect of such plans.

It will be interesting to see if he keeps his job after the season that's for sure. 

The post from TrojanHoss shows just how delusional the spoiled children fanbase STILL is. Heck, we purged the frustration from losing to them hatred DECADES ago. That happened in the 90's. And we've been better ever since.  

Sure, we still hate them. But certainly not because we're jealous of them.

• Like 2

USC initiated the destruction of our conference, and their fans were dancing on its grave.  

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/5/2023 at 6:26 PM, Charles Fischer said:

A repeat of that year's running game versus Tommy Troy?

Against those same three teams, Oregon's D gave up 307 on the ground and 2 rushing TDs. Looking forward to what Bucky & Co. will do.

I think I'll rewatch Kenyon Barner putting up over 300 on the Trojenz in 2012 just to get in the right frame of mind.

• Thumbs Up 2

OUCH!

Gotta love this espn quote after Johson ran for 199 yards before first contact "We'd say it would be hard for a back to do that against 11 traffic cones, but that comparison might be giving usc's defense too much credit".

• Wow 1
  • Haha 2
  • Mic drop 3
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

This game really presented a dilemma for me.  I truly wanted both sides to LOSE and LOSE UGLY!  The problem was as the lead kept switching, I found myself going back and forth, rooting for the other side.  It was enough to drive a man to drink,(which it did!)

So, by the time it was over, and the way it ended I found myself rooting against the Dawgs.  I slept well knowing that both defenses made complete fools of themselves.  

Defense?? Defense??? we don' need no steenkin' defense.

(Apologies to BLAZING SADDLES.)

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/5/2023 at 11:17 AM, Steven A said:

OUCH!

Gotta love this espn quote after Johson ran for 199 yards before first contact "We'd say it would be hard for a back to do that against 11 traffic cones, but that comparison might be giving usc's defense too much credit".

And with Bucky Irving... Will he even go down? Sometimes it takes like 6 guys touching Irving before he actually goes down. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2023 at 5:11 PM, David Marsh said:

Bucky

You mean "Bucky Rearview Irving"?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2023 at 6:38 PM, Joe fricken said:

Defense?? Defense??? we don' need no steenkin' defense.

(Apologies to BLAZING SADDLES.)

Joe fricken.,

Actually, the genesis of that quote came from "The Treasure of Sierra Madre" with Humphrey Bogart and more. In that movie, the Mexican bandits were replying to a request by the miners to see their badges after the bandits identified themselves as Federales (the Mexican constabulary), "Badges? Badges? We don' need no stinkin' badges!" Great movie, as was "Blazing Saddles". The two movies are demonstrate very different different genres.

However, as with Cal, we must wait until we see the results of the game before we high step into the stadium. I would never want to lose to the Trojans, Sun Devils, Beavers, and/or the Huskies (again). All it took earlier this year was the Safeties misplaying the long ball 2-3 times early and late, and less than creative playcalls in the Red Zone and at midfield. Our HC, our OC, and our QB will be ready with the best creative plays.

Why do I use the term creative? Because the Husky staff studied our trends in specific situations and made educated guesses as to which plays our leaders would call in those situations, or something similar. Damned good educated guesses, wouldn't you say? Our Ducks must out-think all these teams and then out-perform them as individual players/units and as a team. We have those kinds of leaders and players, and we practice the right ways!

Go Ducks! Win Ducks, win!

KCDuck1

Edited by KCDuck1
  • Applause 1
  • Like 2

Report from southern california:  

The new defensive coordinator, Sha Na Na, will be installing his new "doo wop" defensive scheme. 

As part of the this exciting transition, the current eleven starters on defense will be replaced by traffic cones. 

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

I won't fault Caleb for letting his emotions flow after that loss - the guy really is a warrior and he gave everything he had to try and win that game.  I remember what one of the Greek writers once wrote about a Spartan general on his choice of a good warrior to face a dangerous enemy.  "Give me men who can cry (for the loss of their comrades).  Those men will fight!"

I'm sure Caleb will recover himself enough to give Oregon a real run next Saturday night.  I am not a Trojan fan but I can recognize a darn good QB when I see one and USC has more than a punchers choice.  Oregon needs to put the pedal down hard and never let up on this team.  I think Dan Lanning, Will Stein and Tosh Lupoi will have the Ducks ready to go.

Edited by Mic
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/5/2023 at 8:52 PM, Triphibius said:

Report from southern california:  

The new defensive coordinator, Sha Na Na, will be installing his new "doo wop" defensive scheme. 

As part of the this exciting transition, the current eleven starters on defense will be replaced by traffic cones. 

And here I thought the new DC would have come out of the same arena that taught Grinch the OLE' D? 

On 11/5/2023 at 9:27 AM, OregonDucks said:

I’m not a Caleb Williams fan but he is an elite college QB and has given it his all (perhaps pressing too much at times, which is understandable given USC’s porous defense).  

Makes you wonder - if Riley can’t win at USC with Caleb, how’s he going to win without him?

He's not unless a miracle happens with the new DC hire, even then it takes time to reform an entire defense with the magnitude it needs to change right now.

Hubris: excessive pride or self-confidence.

Riley, Caleb, et al, come into Autzen without anything to lose. Caleb will not play in SC's lesser bowl game. So, other than the game versus UCLA, Saturday is Caleb's Super Bowl and Riley's last hope for 2023 redemption. 

Oregon is in the playoff mix and USC is not.

This is still a Blue Chip roster coming into Eugene. Badly coached on D? You know it. But lots of weapons on O and at this point in the season why not let it all hang out?

I'll Shout at the game's end.

I still recall Justin Herbert at ASU. No Easy Day. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Your paragraph text.png

I Don't Want to Play Oregon

Edited by Red Eddy Green
  • Haha 3

As Duck fans we are used to some great O and some decent D but we haven't had the depth ever that we have now. However WE have nothing to fear, Ducks by 24.

As bad as Grinch is at defense, there is an offensive coordinator in your new conference that had to be fired by the A.D because he was the coach's son. I won't name him, but fans are rejoicing at his announced removal last week. 

On 11/5/2023 at 8:14 PM, GatOrlando said:

As bad as Grinch is at defense, there is an offensive coordinator in your new conference that had to be fired by the A.D because he was the coach's son. I won't name him, but fans are rejoicing at his announced removal last week. 

Woah! Ferentz was fired? AD finally stepped in and did the right thing. Sports is supposed to be a meritocracy. I'm sure the boosters gave the AD an ultimatum. He goes or we go.

On 11/5/2023 at 9:24 PM, Solar said:

Woah! Ferentz was fired? AD finally stepped in and did the right thing. Sports is supposed to be a meritocracy. I'm sure the boosters gave the AD an ultimatum. He goes or we go.

Yeah, he was given the mandate of averaging at least twenty points a game this season. At least that's what I heard. Hawkeye fans are at a crossroads right now. They know their slate is getting much tougher starting next year, but they don't know if they really want new leadership heading into the unknown. They've had some of the easiest paths to the conference title game with the three heavies in the East, but have made only two. Winning none.

Next year there are no divisions. They're recruiting level is actually around where Washington is. But their offense is rated in the 100's. USC on the other hand has top ten classes, yet they can't field a top fifty defense? It's gonna be interesting to see who fixes their issues best this off-season. My only regret is we won't see a Grinch defense vs a B. Ferentz offense.

This year a tilt between Iowa and USC would be the open gate vs the limping horse.

Edited by GatOrlando

On 11/5/2023 at 10:21 AM, Charles Fischer said:

...because, "I never said I was noble."

Caleb's every night between now and Saturday...

So... I have no issues with a stud athlete after a heartbreak loss --- or when they suddenly wake up and realize that their team pretty much sucks and is very likely destined for the infamous "Weed Eater Poulan Bowl," breaking down in tears.

I get it, although I'd kind of prefer if they saved it for the locker room. And I was relieved to hear that Caleb's dog did not travel with the team. 

In 6th grade, I even remember some of us crying with our parent(s) on the sideline after a tough loss. 

But for me, and I'm just speaking for myself here, to have a 20 year old dude jump into his mommy's arms in the stands and have a breakdown kind of moment on national tv, is a bit over-the-top, and causes me to at least question his ability to control his emotions during a critical game time moment.

And while it may never be an issue for him, if I am an NFL GM, it would still give me cause for pause.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Ya know, Grinch was an excellent DC at WSU. Maybe Grinch isn't the problem. Lincoln Riley is the HC, he has charge of the offense, defense and special teams. Is Riley the problem? We should know in the next couple years.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It’s rumored that the first 1000 fans through the turnstiles will receive a Caleb Williams bobble head hugging a puppy dog.

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/6/2023 at 3:37 PM, Log Haulin said:

Ya know, Grinch was an excellent DC at WSU. Maybe Grinch isn't the problem. Lincoln Riley is the HC, he has charge of the offense, defense and special teams. Is Riley the problem? We should know in the next couple years.

It'll be interesting to see where Grinch ends up and what kind of success he has at his new post.  However, looking at the records, Riley is 18-6 at USC; Lanning is 18-4, both in their 2nd season. 

Krasnowski: USC is college football’s villain

The words “USC” and “villain” have always been synonymous. From the Pete Carroll era to celebrities on the sideline, USC and its Hollywood atmosphere has always been easy to hate.

Even in the hapless years before Lincoln Riley was hired as head coach, USC felt like a sleeping giant stirring in its rest.

When Riley’s move to Southern California was announced, Oklahoma Sooner fans were incensed. Think Mario Cristobal to Miami times a hundred.

At the time of his departure, Riley was — and probably still is now — public enemy No. 1 in Norman. Sooner fans hate him.

USC fans love him.

Riley is the man behind the rebuild of the once listless Trojans. More than anything, USC is relevant once again and the Trojans have certainly done that in a unique fashion.

At the forefront of the sports revolution, USC has made the most of its national brand and boosters by building its roster through the transfer portal and athletes Name Image Likeness.

That certainly makes them hateable.

To acess the details in the Daily Emerald, click here.

• Cool 1

Bill Oram: USC’s decline into the Meh of Troy is karmic justice for killing the Pac-12

So this is how it ends for USC, more than a century after the Trojans joined what would become the Pac-12 Conference and less than 18 months after they killed it.

Boo-hoo. Cry me a river.

That’s not a shot at Caleb Williams.

Promise.

The Oregon Ducks defense got enough of those in on Saturday.

I delighted in every sack against Williams, the reigning Heisman Trophy winner.

And in every big completion by Oregon’s Bo Nix, who continues to make a case to be Williams’ successor.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Bo Nix and the Ducks blew past USC in a wire-to-wire 36-27 win, knocking Lincoln Riley’s Trojans out of the Pac-12 title race.

• Like 1