Charles Fischer

Caleb Williams....Here is Some Autzen Advice for Saturday Night...

This is going to get ugly early, so have your Mommy ready in the locker room for halftime.

Crying Caleb.jpg

• Salute 1
  • Yikes! 1
  • Haha 5
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 2

Mr. FishDuck

I can envision a future where NFL teams provide "moral support" spaces on sidelines where overly sensitive players moms can console their tearful child after blown plays and losses. Or, maybe not...

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I saw a video clip after that game he said he wanted to go home and hug his dog. They fly charter so I'm sure there would be no trouble in bringing his emotional support dog on the plane. He will need it at Autzen. I don't think The Duck will be a good hug.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

There are injury tents, there should be emotional support tents, at least for sc, especially this weekend!

pacific-play-tents-tree-house-5497ac3c748d4bbaaf52acd146b5110f.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I hear mom is looking for a terry cloth sc jersey for this game.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pundits nationally have declared that USC is soft, such as Colin Cowherd, John Canzano, etc. 

The picture in the first post, is the definition of USC Soft!

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Enjoying all the Trojan ribbing as much as the next, but in the back of my mind, there’s a nagging thought that won’t go away: this is a team with nothing left to lose.

• Thumbs Up 6

Except another game

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Williams has had success throughout his college career. Winning the Heisman is great but if you buy into the entitled hype you will inevitably be disappointed. Getting the snot kicked out of you is what will happen to him in the NFL. Particularly if he gets drafted #1 next year to a team that tanked the end of the season to get him. Trying to QB a dumpster fire like Carolina, da Bears, or the NY Nyets will give you a couple of seasons of wanting a big hug from mama and your dog after every game. Get used to it. The $20+M signing bonus will help salve that ouch. 

Bo Nix had been beat up, dissed (Bo Pix!) and ridiculed at Auburn. Somehow he just keeps winning and leading his team, this Oregon team. Maybe head to head the NFL scouts think Williams is the better QB. I won't argue that. But Bo is the dude I would rather have at the helm. And I'm banking on Oregon sending Williams back to LA with a longing for his puppy, mom's home cooking and a resolution to take a pass on the Las Vegas Bowl.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Despite their team's obvious weaknesses and Caleb's own tendency to abandon self control he remains a dangerous opponent. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/9/2023 at 2:34 PM, tee duke said:

Despite their team's obvious weaknesses and Caleb's own tendency to abandon self control he remains a dangerous opponent. 

He is good, but as a team?  I believe they will fold up quicker than the chairs at my Friday Film Session.  Their will to fight on will be quickly broken--mid second quarter, when they see they cannot stop Oregon....IMHO.

Oregon has scored a bunch on them before...

Kenjon Barner 2012 KC.jpg

I have no such confidence with any other opponent going into the game. (other than Portland State)

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I keep having flashbacks to 2011 when a 2-loss, unranked USC team came in to Autzen on a cold November night 2nd to last game of the season and stunned #4Oregon. After recovering an inexplicable USC fumble deep in Oregon territory, we had more than a chance down by 3 with 2:25 left. The drive stalled after 1st and 10 at USC 18 and we missed a 37 yard field goal. I remember we left timeouts in our pocket. 

The loss squashed any hopes of a BCS title game rematch with LSU, but led to our dramatic Rose Bowl win over Wisconsin. 

USC has been to Autzen only once since 2011 (a 48-28 Ducks win in 2015). Incidentally, USC has been to Corvallis 3 times since 2011. 

Just wish this game wasn’t so late at night. 

• Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/9/2023 at 3:35 PM, mikethehiker said:

I keep having flashbacks to 2011

Yep.  Maldonado had only 37 yards, directly in front, and no wind.  This is what kickers live for...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Salute 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

The right thing would have been for Mrs. Williams to smack her son upside the head, and tell him to take his weak, whiney, sauce into the locker room... along with his lovely fingernails. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 11/9/2023 at 5:59 PM, Desert Duck said:

The right thing would have been for Mrs. Williams to smack her son upside the head, and tell him to take his weak, whiney, sauce into the locker room... along with his lovely fingernails. 

Isaiah Thomas once told a story of life growing up in the Chicago projects. He said one day a group of mean kids wanted to beat him up and he ran home and told his mom. She said he had to go back outside and fight or he'll never gain respect on the streets so he did. No binkies in the Thomas home but their are some NBA championship trophies.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I saw that scene of Caleb heaving into his Momma’s neck.  I understand his disappointment, but……this reaction is shocking!  Unbelievable!

• Like 1

The old saying is different for the USC...."when the going gets tough, the Trojans cry on Momma's lap."

If I was one of the USC offensive linemen, and looked up and saw that? I'd ask,..."why am I busting my rear for that big baby?"

USC Fan.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/9/2023 at 7:02 PM, Duckdude said:

I saw that scene of Caleb heaving into his Momma’s neck.  I understand his disappointment, but……this reaction is shocking!  Unbelievable!

Yes.  Crying about losing a game is fine...in private.  But you don't embarrass your team, and epitomize what everyone is saying about the program.  

Just another photo opp for Caleb...

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

The epitome of spoiled children 

• Thumbs Up 3

In summary, here are the main pregame story lines.

Lanning, while working up his team like sharks in a feeding frenzy, calls SUC soft. SUC fans lose their minds over it.

SUC QB cries in mamma's arms on national TV.

SUC fires D coordinator for soft defense.

SUC defensive player casually admits to not watching game film. SUC coaches confirm no film session this week.

Sorry SUC but this week, it sucks to be you.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Charles, you are on a roll today. I thought you reserved this level of venom for the Huskies only!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/9/2023 at 6:12 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Isaiah Thomas once told a story of life growing up in the Chicago projects. He said one day a group of mean kids wanted to beat him up and he ran home and told his mom. She said he had to go back outside and fight or he'll never gain respect on the streets so he did. No binkies in the Thomas home but their are some NBA championship trophies.

I had the same experience when I was 8th grade. A senior in HS punched me in the face at the Plaid Pantry. I rode my bike home and told my dad.. he made me call the guy to come fight in our front yard. My dad and the next door guy cracked a beer and pulled up lawn  chairs.

I won't  tell you who won that fight but nobody messed with me after that and his buddies were making fun of him as he got sent back down the street.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's hard to know if there is something else that he was so emotional about that may have involved his mother? As a coach for many years Ive seen kids carry burdens that nobody knew about, it affects them in some way.

• Like 1

Thats true. But, you have to have self awareness knowing your actions reflect on to the team. Pain is real, but a Man doesn't crawl over to his mom because he lost a game. He definitely doesn't do it on National TV. It hurts the team. This is classic of people thinking of themselves first and the team*other people second. 

Losses can teach so much more than wins. Where were the poor decisions? Did I read the defense correctly? Am I weak under pressure? If he goes crying to his mom after a loss, whats his mental state in the thick of a game? 

Nerves of Steel. Next Play! Next Quarter! Next Game! Become a machine. Mental toughness can take an average QB and make him really good. The old adage, don't let last weeks game beat you this week. It's all about mental toughness. The world is digressing, we are seeing it on the Grid Iron.

One other thing....'I didn't watch the film..I'm moving on'. Sounds selfish to me. Sounds mentally weak for a game that takes mental toughness.

Ducks win 51-27 Caleb starts crying to start the 4th quarter.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Advice to Caleb William... Dan Patrick may be rooting for USC this Saturday but "Auzen is where good teams go to die." Get ready for the NFL draft!! GO DUCKS!!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/10/2023 at 8:28 AM, Duckhart2 said:

It's hard to know if there is something else that he was so emotional about that may have involved his mother? As a coach for many years Ive seen kids carry burdens that nobody knew about, it affects them in some way.

There's no question that more than just the loss of the game played into this phenomenally gifted, Heisman winner, Beast of a QB, leaping over the railing and into his mommy's lap (not just her arms) for a total breakdown moment. 

My best guess is that the other primary factors are a lifetime of being told that you are the best at everything and can basically do no wrong -- and that he has lovely fingernails. 

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

On 11/9/2023 at 8:10 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Yes.  Crying about losing a game is fine...in private.  But you don't embarrass your team, and epitomize what everyone is saying about the program.  

Just another photo opp for Caleb...

I certainly don't mind seeing some tears after the game on the field... while on the way into the locker room. 

But this Williams moment took things to an entirely different, and frankly, bizarre level that I've never seen before.

If I'm an NFL GM, when looking at the entire Willimas package, I'm more than seriously questioning whether I burn a 1st round pick on this guy. Obviously, the talent & skill set he possesses is generational, but that's just half the battle.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/10/2023 at 9:25 AM, Desert Duck said:

But this Williams moment took things to an entirely different, and frankly, bizarre level that I've never seen before.

If I'm an NFL GM, when looking at the entire Williams package, I'm more than seriously questioning whether I burn a 1st round pick on this guy. Obviously, the talent & skill set he possesses is generational, but that's just half the battle.

Agreed.  If things don't go his way....he could blow up the NFL team with his spoiled, entitled judgment.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/10/2023 at 8:50 AM, 1Funduck said:

Ducks win 51-27 Caleb starts crying to start the 4th quarter.

Your entire take is spot on. But I absolutely LOL'd at this line. 

And I'm right in there with your score prediction. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

And I'm not confident that this Williams comment from last season aged very well.

F-R5gz4W0AAb-XS.jpg.3d5f8555d1f2e893f304d04046d424bd.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Caleb unquestionably has the talent to win games but that's paired with behavioral tendencies that are problematic. Those are warning signs flashing RED to all but the most desperate NFL MG. Which just happens to be the guy who will get to pick first. I don't mean to put the kibosh on the kid's future—he can still change things—but it does bring to mind the whole Johnny Manziel situation. 

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 11/9/2023 at 1:50 PM, anyotherduck said:

I can envision a future where NFL teams provide "moral support" spaces on sidelines where overly sensitive players moms can console their tearful child after blown plays and losses. Or, maybe not...

How about a Safe Space for the Trojan D?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Apparently U$UC will need a 'Mental Health day' after tonight. At least they won't watch the film, that should help.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

This thread needs a "Trigger Warning". No, wait, the word 'trigger' is triggering.  Uh...?

Somedays I feel like Kerock the Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer, who struggles with modernity

ad0wni9zkuz41.jpg.8a6ccd1b1a4fa1b5f86a48b5ac0e420a.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1

Yes Williams is crying all the way to the bank. With all the commercials he is in Not sure he is 100% focused on the grid iron.

Guess we will find out tonight.

On 11/9/2023 at 11:50 AM, anyotherduck said:

Right behind the USC bench on the 50 yard line -- for quick & easy access...

I see a Trojan MSPUCT ("Mommy/Son Pop-Up Comfort Tent"). Complete with soft pillows, wireless Bose headsets streaming great lullaby tunes, and of course, a well trained snuggly comfort service dog).

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/11/2023 at 9:54 AM, idontrollonshobbas said:

This thread needs a "Trigger Warning". No, wait, the word 'trigger' is triggering.  Uh...?

Somedays I feel like Kerock the Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer, who struggles with modernity

ad0wni9zkuz41.jpg.8a6ccd1b1a4fa1b5f86a48b5ac0e420a.jpg

I can't believe you pulled out the most-excellent & stellar "Unfrozen Cave-Man" reference. 

IMHO, I'm not sure there could be a better reference for this situation than this Phil Hartman classic. 

"Your world frightens and confuses me." At times these days, I'm definitely feeling UCM's pain 😉

On 11/9/2023 at 12:49 PM, Haywarduck said:

There are injury tents, there should be emotional support tents, at least for sc, especially this weekend!

pacific-play-tents-tree-house-5497ac3c748d4bbaaf52acd146b5110f.jpg

I just saw your comment. I envisioned the same kind of thing. 

On 11/9/2023 at 2:50 PM, Washington Waddler said:

Enjoying all the Trojan ribbing as much as the next, but in the back of my mind, there’s a nagging thought that won’t go away: this is a team with nothing left to lose.

With each additional fun comment that I've been making about the USC situation, I've had a little voice in the back of my head that has been getting a little louder with each comment, reminding me of the exact same thing. 

Everything is pointing to USC getting run over and dying tonight.

However, when you have that many 4 and 5 star studs on one roster, all they need to do is to put it together for one game, for about 3.5 hours... and look out Martha.

Still, if Oregon plays like they did against Utah or Colorado, regardless of who shows up for USC, we win this game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/9/2023 at 4:35 PM, mikethehiker said:

I keep having flashbacks to 2011 when a 2-loss, unranked USC team came in to Autzen on a cold November night 2nd to last game of the season and stunned #4Oregon. After recovering an inexplicable USC fumble deep in Oregon territory, we had more than a chance down by 3 with 2:25 left. The drive stalled after 1st and 10 at USC 18 and we missed a 37 yard field goal. I remember we left timeouts in our pocket. 

The loss squashed any hopes of a BCS title game rematch with LSU, but led to our dramatic Rose Bowl win over Wisconsin. 

USC has been to Autzen only once since 2011 (a 48-28 Ducks win in 2015). Incidentally, USC has been to Corvallis 3 times since 2011. 

Just wish this game wasn’t so late at night. 

Yep... it's college football. And while I fully expect Oregon to run all over these guys, as we all know, anything can happen.

We need to jump on them hard early and often and not look back.

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Like 1