David Marsh

Would You Take Shough Back?

Looks like Shough is back in the portal. Would you want him back with Stein's offense and Lanning as head coach? 

I'll be honest, I don't hate the idea. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

He’s got the tools and experience under his belt. Honestly I didn’t think he got a fair shake here with Mario causing all kinds of problems with the offense. He would have a good shot at beating out TT for QB1.

• Thumbs Up 1

It seems like he gets hurt a lot. I would like someone a little more sturdy.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/19/2023 at 6:06 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

It seems like he gets hurt a lot. I would like someone a little more sturdy.

With Oregon’s OL he’d be much more likely to stay upright.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't know right now if I would, or not. 

But boy... the new world of college football sure is wild. 

• Applause 1

At crunch time he loses confidence, makes the bonehead mistake or gets injured.  Can't survive a season.  Hard pass.

2023-09-11_12-18-46.jpg

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 8

Mr. FishDuck

No.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well now!

Shough? First reaction = No!

Second reaction = Trust DL and Stein to make those decisions....

The Ducks will need a hungry proven QB in the portal. 

Why? Because... a

After watching the game, the third time, TT is not the answer.  He rarely ran thru his progressions. He locked onto his primary receiver and let the ball fly. Some throws were reckless!

Now many on this forum will not agree with me and thats okay. However if you get a chance, watch the game and make your own coaching evaluation.

On the pass that was intercepted, TT had an open, unguarded receiver (Kasper) 2 yards to the righr. TT never looked at his options.

Whats worse is at the top of the screen, a Duck receiver was blowing by the safety for a bird bomb. TT had no idea because he never looked off his intended receiver. No excuse for throwing that pic.

You don't play the games to get better.....you get better in practice and execute your plays and options during the game. When your number is called you deliver the goods.

I like TT and want him to succeed. He has all the athleticism and talent needed. But after 3 springs and 2 complete summers, when his number is called, he doesn't even run thru his progressions? WOW...

I was extremely disappointed.  ASU had no defensive fight left in them when TT came into the game. Even with the 2's and 3's in the game, the Ducks should have scored a 2nd or 3rd TD..

This is not a personal attack on TT. This is about judging performance! 

We will not beat the top dogs in the BIG next year without a leader at the QB1 spot.

DL and Stein will choose wisely!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Cam Ward would fit SO WELL, and would benefit from a Will Stein offense, IMHO.

Cougars rewind: Cameron Ward faces some pocket presence questions as OL  improves | The Seattle Times

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 3

Mr. FishDuck

I was very disappointed when Tyler entered the transfer portal and have been cheering him on ever since.

That being said... I do not feel the need for Oregon to use a scholarship on him. There just isn't anything that makes me think he is vastly better than our current options.

I'll continue to root for Tyler and will be grateful he honored his commitment to Oregon even when Willie didn't. But, feel it would be a step back for the current Oregon program.

Eyes forward. Keep improving 1% each day. Coach Lanning is just getting started.

Probably a more appropriate question is would Tyler Shough want to come back to Oregon? I highly doubt it.

I wish him the best wherever he lands.

Edited by OceaniaDuck
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/19/2023 at 7:59 PM, JDuck said:

No.

I'm with JDuck.  Maybe Kenny Dillingham has a spot for him.

On 11/19/2023 at 8:28 PM, OceaniaDuck said:

Probably a more appropriate question is would Tyler Shough want to come back to Oregon? I highly doubt it.

I wish him the best wherever he lands.

I think this is the easiest one to answer... Because of Lanning and Stein taking a QB like Nix who was really seen as ok and making him into a Heisman favorite. 

I'm not sure if I'd take Shough, I love some of his tools and ability and it would be interesting to see how he works in an offense with our oline but not convinced he's our portal answer.

On 11/19/2023 at 8:12 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Well now!

Why? Because... a

After watching the game, the third time, TT is not the answer.  He rarely ran thru his progressions. He locked onto his primary receiver and let the ball fly. Some throws were reckless!

Now many on this forum will not agree with me and thats okay. However if you get a chance, watch the game and make your own coaching evaluation.

On the pass that was intercepted, TT had an open, unguarded receiver (Kasper) 2 yards to the righr. TT never looked at his options.

Whats worse is at the top of the screen, a Duck receiver was blowing by the safety for a bird bomb. TT had no idea because he never looked off his intended receiver. No excuse for throwing that pic.

You don't play the games to get better.....you get better in practice and execute your plays and options during the game. When your number is called you deliver the goods.

I like TT and want him to succeed. He has all the athleticism and talent needed. But after 3 springs and 2 complete summers, when his number is called, he doesn't even run thru his progressions? WOW...

I was extremely disappointed.  ASU had no defensive fight left in them when TT came into the game. Even with the 2's and 3's in the game, the Ducks should have scored a 2nd or 3rd TD..

We will not beat the top dogs in the BIG next year without a leader at the QB1 spot.

Totally agree.  I too was very disappointed in TT's performance.  He just doesn't have "it". 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'd consider him.  I like Shough, and he certainly didn't get a fair shake here.

Yes, he made bad decisions under pressure.  Yes you could see his confidence decline each week.  But IMO that was largely on the coaches.

With good coaching and positive opportunities, Shough could blossom into an excellent QB.  Not unlike a certain ex-Auburn QB.  He has the tools.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with many about TT.  Love his loyalty.  Seems like a great kid.  But he is not going to grow into a decent QB for a Top 10 team I don't think.  Which is really too bad.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/19/2023 at 9:19 PM, Cacker Guy said:

But IMO that was largely on the coaches.

At both Oregon AND Texas Tech?

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/19/2023 at 9:41 PM, Charles Fischer said:

At both Oregon AND Texas Tech?

Well....  I don't know about Texas Tech.  I was thinking Cristobal and company.  I didn't follow him at TT -- I assumed since he was undefeated as a starter there until our game this year that he was doing much better.  You raise a very good point.

On 11/19/2023 at 7:32 PM, Charles Fischer said:

At crunch time he loses confidence, makes the bonehead mistake or gets injured.  Can't survive a season.  Hard pass.

2023-09-11_12-18-46.jpg

One could say that described Bo Nix before coming to Eugene…

• Like 1

Well now!

Why? Because... a

You mean like Bo did on 4th down in the Husky game? That loss hangs on Bo as much as anyone.

We go after somebody who defines clutch, and sadly Tyler doesn't. If there is one trait I want to see it is someone who thrives in adversity.

This is something Oregon has always had, and needs going forward.

• Thumbs Up 1

My Texas Tech friend was gloating before the season about how much Tyler has improved, how Oregon blew it by losing him, and how Shough was going to chew up the Ducks in Lubbock.

A few weeks ago—he lamented how TT was destined to always make the bad decision at the worst times.

Now THEY were done with him!

Mr. FishDuck

TT has had enough time to develop as anyone could remotely hope for. Love his loyalty but I don’t think he is our guy. 

Not every 5 star in high school turns into a stud at the college level. It is a huge jump.

I’m sure Lanning will figure it out. Ward I think might be one answer but I think we will definitely have to hit the portal and I would bet my SS check DL already has someone in mind.

Tyler Shough is high risk, medium reward. He has experience and decent instincts; but is cursed by the injury bug. The fibula fracture is no small injury. Why would we risk a scholarship and the threat of defections from our own team for a guy that has a higher likelihood than Bo of going down for the season? There will be plenty of experienced QBs in the portal in the offseason.

Cam Ward

Aidan Chiles

Tyler Van Dyke (if he comes back for a season)

Maalik Murphy

You can't tell me a sales pitch to either of the Pac-2 QBs to come play in the B1G wouldn't be enticing.

On 11/20/2023 at 8:13 AM, Just Ducky said:

I would bet my SS check DL already has someone in mind.

I completely agree with this statement.  DL and staff see TT day in and day out at practice and I am 100% certain that they have already decided if TT is THE GUY for next year or not.

If they've decided he isn't, they have already target locked on those QB's already in the portal and who may be entering.

I kinda get the feeling that DL is/would be a good chess player.  5-7 moves ahead in his thinking and ready to pivot to secondary and tertiary options if the first one doesn't pan out.

Aidan Chiles is a very interesting one.   Are there rumblings he is restless?

On Tyler Schuck, not a chance.  That ship has sailed, time to move on and I doubt he would consider it anyway.  Looks to me like ASU is in desperate need of a QB.

Best case is we already have next year's starter in our QB room (including 2024 recruits).  This might seem unlikely, but it would be a real positive in my book to be able to recruit and develop our own talent.  Maybe that doesn't matter as much any more with the transfer portal, but championship teams don't seem to need the portal much.

Of course Bo was a transfer, but I think as a first-year coach DL was looking for his own guy to build a ream around.  Once he has a few years of his own recruits in the "progrum" this shouldn't be needed as much IMHO.

If you look at Bo's stats for his first 3 years at Auburn they are very unimpressive; 60%, 39 TD, 16 interceptions and we gave him a chance.  I would like to think that TT might have had similar stats at Auburn.  Being #1 in practice is very, very different then being #2.  We all saw TT make a couple of very impressive throws yesterday, the one to Kelly for the TD could not have been thrown better.  The interception was due to getting his arm hit, I know that Kasper was wide open  and the ball went toward the guy who was double covered but I am not 100% sure Kasper wasn't the intended target. 

That being said, I think you need to bring in an experienced quarterback for the competition.  If TT does not win the job with 3 years in the system (sort of, maybe only 2 years we cant call MC a system) then he probably will never be a starting quarterback on a top team.  But not Shough, we need a guy who would play for at least 2 years unless of course Rising wants to transfer!

On 11/19/2023 at 8:15 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Cam Ward would fit SO WELL, and would benefit from a Will Stein offense, IMHO.

Cougars rewind: Cameron Ward faces some pocket presence questions as OL  improves | The Seattle Times

steal their conference from them, and then their QB 😂.  Not really, the Pac demise is maybe not their fault, but like your article says, WSU and OSU are MWC value teams.  Too bad.

Oregon should look at portal QB's but Shough should not be one of them. His injury history would be my biggest concern. Cam Ward would be a good fit but he would need to be a graduate transfer since he already transferred to WSU. Like some others have stated, I will put my trust in Dan Lanning and the other coaches to do what is needed.

NO, I'd rather play a freshman. Injury prone. Played well vs the Ducks but no thanks. I'm sure there will be better transfers who want to come here. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/19/2023 at 8:32 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Sounds a bit like another QB I used to know who once played in the SEC.

But I'm not suggesting at all the Shough come back.

I don’t see how he’s any better than TT13. He only has a year left and he has to learn a new offense. 

AGREED, regardless who is in the portal.

Caleb Williams anyone?  With our D, WOW.

Glad it's not my problem.