anyotherduck

Just in: Smith leaving OSU for Michigan State!

Can't blame hime and wish him the best at MSU! 

I wonder what he and Lanning were discussing after last night game?

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/25/2023 at 10:46 AM, anyotherduck said:

I wonder what he and Lanning were discussing after last night game?

See you on October 5th?

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thumbs Up 3

Ruh-Roh!  Bad news for the Beavers.  Bad news for MSU opponents, including Oregon.  Give this coach a stacked roster of talent and he could be a force.  He had clearly taken OSU just about as far as OSU was ever gonna go given the recruiting potential of that school.  The Smith/Lanning rivalry continues, eh?

• Thumbs Up 2

Ah man. I didn't think that was the best job for Smith either, but it's done now.

Duck fans react to news that Jonathan Smith is leaving Oregon State for Michigan State

On Saturday morning, it looked to finally become official, with news breaking that Oregon State’s head coach Jonathan Smith will take over as the new head coach of the Michigan State Spartans.

Smith, a former quarterback at Oregon State, just completed his sixth season leading his alma mater and was named the Pac-12 Coach of the Year in 2022 after leading the program to just its third 10-win season.

This is major news in the state of Oregon and a tough pill to swallow for fans of the Beavers.

Here’s how fans of both the Ducks and Beavers reacted on social media on Saturday...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon State Beavers’ head coach Jonathan Smith is reportedly taking the head coaching job for the Michigan State Spartans.

I like Jonathan Smith and, based upon his rather amazing performances at OSU, appears to be an excellent coach.

I wish him all the best that MSU. But obviously, not as good as OBD.

And oh-boy... If we thought we heard nearly perpetual blaming, incessant whining, crying, and moaning, from Beaver fans before...

Their disdain and hatred for said evil program 50 miles down the road -- and some dude named 'Phil,' is only going to get worse. 

I actually pity the Beavers now. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 11/25/2023 at 11:49 AM, OregonDucks said:

See you on October 5th?

And, "How exactly does one go about getting one of those Bo's?"

• Haha 3

Honestly I'm sad, I was hoping he would stay with OSU, but I understand the reasons for him leaving, it's a huge blow to them and really the community of Corvallis.

I know there is a lot of talk around here about how the Beavers are getting what they deserve and stuff like that.  Personally I don't think they deserve to have everything taken away from them, especially when you think about the programs out there that very much like them and don't contribute a lot to their conferences.  

With that said I don't think of course they are entitled to all the income of the Pac-12 of course, I would like to see the schools leaving give these universities something to help them as they transition to a minor conference. I don't know what this looks like, but I would hate to see programs be discontinued.

I totally get the animosity towards Oregon right now, we've been big brother for a while, they don't have a huge donor who can immediately jump start the process, yes we had those two years where we broke the glass ceiling with the Rose and Cotton bowls, but if we're honest with ourselves Knight is a HUGE reason why we are where we are.  

If I was a Beaver I would be incredibly depressed, and I probably would be looking to vent my feelings towards everything around me.  I probably wouldn't be yelling obscenities or raging online, but I would feel incredibly hurt that everything that I've known as a fan is now going to change, and most likely not for the better. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Regarding Oregon State, I would think the question all Oregonians should be asking now is what is best for Oregon State University, because that impacts the entire state.

Is it best to continue with running an expensive football program that, if they can't get into a P5 conference, they don't have the money for?  Would it negatively impact the school financially if they did not have a football program, or would dropping football improve it?

At this point I think that perhaps the question that should be asked is what is the best move to make Oregon State, which  already has a good reputation as an educational institution, a top notch educational institution.

I think this might be what is ultimately best for OSU, and the State of Oregon.

Now, feel free to shred my comment if you think that I'm talking blasphemy. 😉 

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 2

Odd that B1G didn’t want the Beaves but obviously wanted their coach and maybe most of their assistants.

• Thumbs Up 1

Folks, you want to read some angry, disappointed, and rudderless fan posts...head over to angrybeavs.com.

Those folks are absolutely lost right now, some are questioning if they will even be able field a roster for a bowl game.  Not sure if there is anyone that DL would want to poach but my guess would be a lot of portal action in a bit!

It's actually enough to make you ALMOST feel bad for them.  

The grass isn't always greener. Just sayin'... (The bank account, however)

Sad to see him leave Oregon State - what a gut punch for the Beavers. And possibly to add salt to the wound, I can see many of the best OSU players flocking to the transfer portal as a result.

Can't really blame JS though, with the Beaver football program in a state of limbo and inevitably being relegated to G5 status. It's just really sad to see what has become of college football.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

I’m also sad about this. Football is more fun when the Beavs have a competitive team. If this ends up going where it seems to be going, the Beavs will soon be a true second-tier team, and even if the annual game continues it will become more and more lopsided, like Utah vs Utah State. I truly hope the Beavs can avoid that and continue to be relevant.

I would love to see a west coast division of the B1G eventually develop as that conference expands, and someday include the original PAC-8. Probably just a pipe dream.

But for now, I’ll have patience with the rantings of our orange and black wearing fellow fans of college football. All fan bases like to judge themselves by their best intentions and classy members but judge others by their most obnoxious trolls. We all know there are plenty of classless Duck fans out there, and I know many rational and classy Beaver fans. I hope they have better days ahead.

• Thanks 2
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • Like 1

That was a no-brainer move. Guess its kind of hard to sell the Pac2 championship game to recruits.

On 11/25/2023 at 12:35 PM, Ktmguy2018 said:

Those folks are absolutely lost right now, some are questioning if they will even be able field a roster for a bowl game. 

Well, in my comment above, I'm asking the exact same thing. I think there may need to be a major shift in the way most all of us have been thinking. 

At the end of the day, and while football is awesome, what the State of Oregon, and it's citizens, need more than anything by far, are strong educational institutions.

And while we left Oregon 12 years ago, and admittedly I have derived some significant guilty pleasure from the demise of the Beavers football program, I'm now past that and trying to look at the bigger picture and what is best for the State of Oregon.

• Thumbs Up 2

Smart move by JS. When OSU was left behind it was over for the Beavs. I doubt their football team survives this. If MW will have them they should jump now. It's over.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/25/2023 at 12:01 PM, Solar said:

Ah man. I didn't think that was the best job for Smith either, but it's done now.

Like Oregon & Washington, he barely got out on the last lifeboat. 

On 11/25/2023 at 10:51 AM, Mic said:

Ruh-Roh!  Bad news for the Beavers.  Bad news for MSU opponents, including Oregon.  Give this coach a stacked roster of talent and he could be a force.  He had clearly taken OSU just about as far as OSU was ever gonna go given the recruiting potential of that school.  The Smith/Lanning rivalry continues, eh?

I am feeling a little parched over here Mic... 😁

On 11/25/2023 at 11:32 AM, Desert Duck said:

Regarding Oregon State, I would think the question all Oregonians should be asking now is what is best for Oregon State University, because that impacts the entire state.

Is it best to continue with running an expensive football program that, if they can't get into a P5 conference, they don't have the money for?  Would it negatively impact the school financially if they did not have a football program, or would dropping football improve it?

At this point I think that perhaps the question that should be asked is what is the best move to make Oregon State, which  already has a good reputation as an educational institution, a top notch educational institution.

I think this might be what is ultimately best for OSU, and the State of Oregon.

Now, feel free to shred my comment if you think that I'm talking blasphemy.

I think some of the math is changing st Oregon State right now. If they want to get back into a Power conference rebuilding the pac-12 isn't it but they still might think so. 

But I think a lot of that would have needed Smith around. Being king of a weak conference can be just fine to make the playoff, especially the expanded playoff, but you need to be king by a mile. 

OSU can get another good coach but they are certainly a stepping stone school. 

I think they could have a shot at the big 12 in a few years but that was with Smith. Without Smith it all became a whole lot harder. 

But if you're Smith and you want avoid being G5 leaving now is really the only option. 

• Thumbs Up 2

No, Oregon fans should not worry about DC Tosh Lupoi taking the Oregon State job

Sometimes when you see a bit of news or speculation, you have to wave it off. In our world, anything is possible. But likely? That’s a different story.

On Saturday morning, it was officially announced that former Oregon State Beavers’ head coach Jonathan Smith would be taking over the top job for the Michigan State Spartans. He leaves his alma mater after six years, and three-consecutive bowl-eligible seasons.

With Smith gone, it has led to speculation on who the next guy will be in Corvallis as they conduct their national search for a new head coach.

Many of the names being thrown out make some sense.

Barry Odom? Sure. Trent Bray? Definitely. Ryan Grubb? Eh, probably not, but it’s worth a shot.

There was one name that I saw thrown out on Saturday morning that made me laugh, though.

Oregon Ducks’ defensive coordinator Tosh Lupoi.

No, that’s not happening...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Ducks’ DC Tosh Lupoi has been named a candidate for the Oregon State job, in the wake of Jonathan Smith’s departure.

Their best coach since Mike Riley has left the building and is leaving with considerable doubt about the future of football in Corvallis.

I wouldn’t want to be on the committee that is given the job to find a new coach. 

Tough sell. 

• Like 1

The fall out from the break up of the PAC just keeps coming. I feel really bad for OSU. Imagine how it must be for them. I know some people on here think all these changes are great and OSU deserves what they are getting but it just makes me sick. I don't think there is anything to gain from being in the BIG. Like someone said, "'it's a conference with only two good teams." For sure they are going to regret letting the PAC schools in there especially Oregon.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/25/2023 at 1:02 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Ducks’ DC Tosh Lupoi has been named a candidate for the Oregon State job, in the wake of Jonathan Smith’s departure.

I'm pretty sure that just because some Beavers are dreaming, it does not make Tosh Lupoi a 'candidate.'

I would be curious if anyone from OSU even asked Tosh if he was remotely interested in the job.

Heck, why not say that Urban Meyer is a candidate too.

Jonathan Smith will owe Oregon State a $3 million buyout

New Michigan State coach Jonathan Smith had a buyout in his coaching contract at Oregon State, so the Spartans will have to cough up a nice chunk of change to the Beavers.

According to Steve Berkowitz of USA Today, Smith will owe Oregon State a $3 million buyout. Those buyouts are typically covered by the hiring program.

Smith was making $4.85 million per year at Oregon State.

His hire was the first major hire in a coaching carousel cycle that figures to be plenty interesting with a handful of high-profile gigs open.

Smith just wrapped up an 8-4 regular season with the Beavers to cap off a successful three-year stretch. He took over in 2018 and rebuilt the Pac-12 squad.

He went 34-35 in six seasons at Oregon State, including a 10-3 season in 2022 that finished with a Las Vegas Bowl win.

Michigan State released a statement on his hire from athletics director Alan Haller on Saturday afternoon...

On 11/25/2023 at 1:18 PM, Sandy Rocks said:

The fall out from the break up of the PAC just keeps coming. I feel really bad for OSU. Imagine how it must be for them. I know some people on here think all these changes are great and OSU deserves what they are getting but it just makes me sick. I don't think there is anything to gain from being in the BIG. Like someone said, "'it's a conference with only two good teams." For sure they are going to regret letting the PAC schools in there especially Oregon.

If I may, I'd like to point out the one singular reason that Oregon (and UW) wisely, and fortunately, got out on about the last lifeboat: Money

It's always the money. Always and forever, follow the money.

If we hadn't gotten a late B1G deal, right now, we'd be barely in a slightly better position than the abysmal one that the Beavers are in. 

From where I sit, the primary blame for the sad and painful demise and destruction of the storied, and once mighty, PAC-12 conference, resides at the feet of a one particular PAC-12 commissioner, along with a bunch of University presidents and athletic directors...

Who stood by for about a decade, not wanting to admit or see that the emperor had no clothes on... and that he was essentially utilizing our conference as his own personal piggy bank.

Sadly, and throughout history, willing blindness has been an often, and all too common, tale and phenomena . And when allowed to run for an extensive period, only results in destruction. From athletic conferences, to nations, many have fallen for this same reason.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I dont know whether to laugh or cry.

I won't bother to post them out of respect to intelligence. But, I have seen some pathetic comments by OSU fans about Smith leaving that are beyond sane. Maybe they do deserve what that get. (nothing)

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting. Smith is leaving one "little brother" school for another. It will be intriguing to see if he can pull MSU up more to Michigan's level.

OSU has a few really good players. I wonder how many we will be interested in and how many would bite on the rationale "if you can't beat them, join them."

Canzano: Jonathan Smith gone to Michigan State, what now?

Oregon State must act quickly.

Jonathan Smith is gone.

He’s the new football coach at Michigan State.

I had Smith penciled in to leave Oregon State for USC or Washington someday. Maybe he’ll still end up at one of those places eventually, but on Saturday he traded an uncertain future in the “Pac-2” for a tricky challenge in the Big Ten.

Will he regret it?

And what now for Oregon State?

Those are questions to ask.

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Oregon State must act quickly.

Kefense Hynson Named Interim Head Coach Of Oregon State Football Program

Kefense Hynson was named the Interim Head Coach of the Oregon State football program effective immediately, Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Scott Barnes announced Saturday.

“Coach Hynson is an integral and valued member of Oregon State’s renowned coaching staff,” Barnes said. “Known by coaches and players for his total commitment, not only to success on the field but also to the holistic well-being of student-athletes, Coach Hynson is ready to lead the program through this interim period.”

Joining Oregon State in 2018, Hynson served as the Wide Receivers Coach/Passing Game Coordinator under Jonathan Smith and was part of the coaching staff that led the Beavers to three straight bowl appearances, including a 10-win season in 2022 and breaking into the Top 10 during this year’s College Football Playoff Rankings...

OREGONSTATE.RIVALS.COM

Kefense Hynson has been tabbed as Oregon State's interim head coach...

It's so infuriating to see just how incompetent the governing body of collegiate athletics is in instituting its bylaws. For instance, why on earth would the transfer portal be open prior to the conclusion of the championship game? Can't they see the unintended consequences?

The Beavers not only lost their conference and coach, but they may very well lose a majority of their roster. If you were Martinez, Uiagalelei, or even Chiles, would you stick it out? I imagine several key players will join Smith in Michigan St. 

I don't know about you all, but I am feeling bad for the Beavers and despising the corporate greed that is destroying everything that made college football unique from that of the NFL.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 11/26/2023 at 4:00 PM, Legion said:

It's so infuriating to see just how incompetent the governing body of collegiate athletics is in instituting its bylaws. For instance, why on earth would the transfer portal be open prior to the conclusion of the championship game? Can't they see the unintended consequences?

The Beavers not only lost their conference and coach, but they may very well lose a majority of their roster. If you were Martinez, Uiagalelei, or even Chiles, would you stick it out? I imagine several key players will join Smith in Michigan St. 

I don't know about you all, but I am feeling bad for the Beavers and despising the corporate greed that is destroying everything that made college football unique from that of the NFL.

I'll be honest - in a way, I do hope that ESPN, Fox and all the other corporate media that destroyed college football as we know it go belly up due to overextending themselves from all the TV money they have to pay out.

Then maybe from all the pieces that have to be picked up and put back together can emerge a college football landscape that is generally fun again with the regional conferences and rivalries and all - including a resurrected PAC-12.

"Former president Ed Ray a chief enabler of the failed Pac-12 policies that created this mess. More than anyone else connected to OSU over the past 6-8 years, he bears responsibility."

Wilner and most of us here know hiring Larry was the beginning of the end for the Pac. You can lay the blame at those feet.

On 11/25/2023 at 11:32 AM, Desert Duck said:

I would think the question all Oregonians should be asking now is what is best for Oregon State University,

Their answer is to steal Oregon's 35 million of media revenue this year, and every penny of the future income streams from this year and prior ones.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Jonathan Smith details decision to join Michigan State, leave Oregon State: 'Right timing, right fit'

WATCH: Jonathan Smith New Michigan State Head Coach | B1G Today

Below is everything Smith said during his Big Ten Network appearance - Transcript

247SPORTS.COM

Michigan State's new head coach departed from his alma mater.

He is not coming off well in ANY of these interviews he is doing.   First it was the one with JC, then his post game presser, then the clip where he says he was planning to leave all along.   Sheesh- stop talking and just invoke the standard line, 'it was an opportunity I just could not pass up'.

• Thumbs Up 2

Every CFB board I have read has Smith's hire as an A or A+ and I agree. Perfect coach for a developmental program.

I expect Smith will have MSU back to Dantonio's level of success in E. Lansing in a couple of seasons.

Was talking with a DUCK friend last night and he reminded me of how all his OS friends in Portland chided him big time when Mario jumped. They said over and over, 'we never have to worry about this because we have our guy and he will be a lifer and take us to the promise land'.  

My friend said his OS buddies have suddenly gone silent. 

• Haha 1

OS fans never go silent. 🤪

Edited by Just Ducky

Heard they were a pretty quiet bunch starting in about the 3rd quarter on Friday night.

Nowhere to run.........

• Haha 1

I expect Johnathan Smith will do well given all the resources and connections MSU has built over the decades.  He should have more and better talent coming into the program than he could ever have expected at OSU.

That said, boy, is he in a tough environment.  MSU is going to want to see a competitive team at or near the top of the league in about 3 years. I don't know how patient they'll be if JS doesn't have them winning 9 or 10 games by year 3.  Maybe in the past they were patient but I don't know nowadays as everyone wants and expects a new Head Coach to have enormous impact immediately.  Given the $ they spend it's easy to see why.

Good luck to you Johnathan - but now you're gonna have to deal with Dan Lanning all over again, on top of Jim Harbaugh, Ryan Day and Karen DeBoer. R U sure you really want that?

Edited by Mic

MSU's Jonathan Smith Brings 5 Oregon State Assistants To East Lansing

New Michigan State head coach Jonathan Smith has brought half his Oregon State coaching staff with him to East Lansing so far, and two MSU coaches from the previous regime could be retained.

The new era of Michigan State football has begun. Newly-hired head coach Jonathan Smith has arrived in East Lansing and has already started working on putting together a new coaching staff in East Lansing.

Smith has spent his whole life living on the West Coast. Born and raised in southern California, he’s played and coached at Oregon State, and was an assistant coach at Idaho, Montana, Boise State and Washington.

While he’s been proven to be an effective coach, many were skeptical about a move to Michigan State because he has never lived or coached near the Midwest.

Fortunately, a couple members of the Oregon State coaches joining Smith at MSU do have ties to the area, which should help him get a recruiting foothold in the Midwest.

Below are two new Michigan State assistant coaches with ties to this part of the country...

To access the details in the article, click here.

Feel bad for the Beavs but my OSU alum/donor friend is claiming the players were told Smith was leaving before the game and didn't play hard and give their all, that's why the Ducks rolled over them. 🤦🏼‍♀️ 

• Haha 1

On 11/28/2023 at 3:28 PM, FanGirlDuck said:

Feel bad for the Beavs but my OSU alum/donor friend is claiming the players were told Smith was leaving before the game and didn't play hard and give their all, that's why the Ducks rolled over them. 🤦🏼‍♀️ 

The Thursday story seems to be making the rounds and many OS fans are running with that as the reason for the defeat.  

Nick Daschel, the OS Oregonian beat writer was asked about that  on Twitter (X) and Nick is no Duck lover in any way shape or form (he's all in on the built not bought thing and has particular disdain for all things green and yellow) but even Nick when asked about this playing into the beavs having little or no fire or passion said, and I quote 'they were beaten by a freaking good team'.

• Go Ducks! 1