Charles Fischer

Sugar Bowl Thread: Washington vs. Texas

I am so fascinated with this game!

Well, I've known that for years...

• Haha 5

Mr. FishDuck

Sark is off to a good start. I haven’t seen him ream any security guys so far.

IMG_0029.gif

So hard to root for the Dawgs.  A win for them makes the Ducks look better.  And a Michigan v Washington final is a good omen for the B1G.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/1/2024 at 6:15 PM, Grandpa Duck said:

So hard to root for the Dawgs.  A win for them makes the Ducks look better.  And a Michigan v Washington final is a good omen for the B1G.

Still can't do it. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I have the Huskies winning this game by two scores, but hoping for them to take a beating.

DeBoer should’ve taken the points instead of going for it on 4th down. Texas isn’t moving the ball very well against them. Those 3 points might be huge later on.

Pretty evenly matched so far to my eye. Odunze has made a couple of great NFL level grabs and Penix dropped it right where it needed to be. Glad both of those guys are in the league next year.

That said, the Fuskys are leaving money on the table and should be up by at least a FG. 

I might have to slit my wrist when I get kicked off the website.

I am rooting for the Mutts

At least I admit it which is very difficult to do.

• Thumbs Up 2

Penix is a magician with the ball. Deadly accurate and the fastest release I've seen. His receivers haven't gotten much separation—but it doesn't seem to matter.  

• Thumbs Up 4

On 1/1/2024 at 6:08 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Sark is off to a good start. I haven’t seen him ream any security guys so far.

IMG_0029.gif

Is he sober in this one?

On 1/1/2024 at 10:31 PM, Just Ducky said:

Texas, much like Ohio State , is one of those teams that has a huge amount of fans who have never been to their campus. They can be quite annoying and very easy to root against.

I hate Ewwdub... but you can't deny the talent of Penix and Odunz.

• Thumbs Up 3

I hate both these teams. Especially Shark. But I’m not turning this off that’s for sure.

On 1/1/2024 at 6:20 PM, David Marsh said:

Still can't do it. 

Me too, I dry heave when I try.

• Like 1

I will say this about "the team from the state to the north", Deboer is a cool cucumber of a coach and the team plays hard for him.

Having said that, I want the lights to fail on the stadium, the concessions runs dry, and multitude of pigeons descend and poop on both teams.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like the Texas secondary is starting to give.  Unless they pick it up soon the Fuskies will pocket this win.

Seems like Penix's ribs are healed. And if Huskies are #1 in the end that makes us #2 right? (I'm actually not as hateful at them at the moment because SIL had a great medical residency interview with them, it's a whole lot closer with a 2 hour drive than a 6 hour flight!)

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/1/2024 at 7:15 PM, Grandpa Duck said:

Sadly, you are correct 😔 😉

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/1/2024 at 8:31 PM, Just Ducky said:

Yeah... my plan of rooting against the Fuskies has kind of fallen apart. It's a sickening feeling. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/1/2024 at 9:42 PM, FanGirlDuck said:

Seems like Penix's ribs are healed. And if Huskies are #1 in the end that makes us #2 right? (I'm actually not as hateful at them at the moment because SIL had a great medical residency interview with them, it's a whole lot closer with a 2 hour drive than a 6 hour flight!)

Good luck with residency. They have a great program up there. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a sick feeling that this is the Pac-12's year to win the championship.  Should have been us. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/1/2024 at 10:00 PM, MikeJ said:

I have a sick feeling that this is the Pac-12's year to win the championship.  Should have been us. 

Just one kicker short of making that happen.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/1/2024 at 10:05 PM, Dave23 said:

Just one kicker short of making that happen.

Or the 4th down calls by a relatively young coach. 

• Mic drop 1

On 1/1/2024 at 10:19 PM, Desert Duck said:

Or the 4th down calls by a relatively young coach. 

I believe if we had a better kicker he would have found it less necessary to go for it. By the end of the season even I thought going for on 4th and goal was the better of 2 evals.

Well, you have to ask yourself: if DaBoer has enough confidence to go for a 4th and 1ON HIS OWN 34 yard line (to maintain control of the game), why wouldn't our coach have the sense to understand you don't kick filed goals against them?

FGs don't win games against Washington.  That is utterly clear to me.  And I will clutch my cold dead hands in a fist declaring that.

Washington outperformed a much more physical team than ours tonight.  FGs don't beat Washington.  Forth down conversions do.

• Thumbs Up 3

Makes me 🤢🤮 and to think 3 points and it could be us.  I think we could compete on this stage.  Recruiting should get us to this level quick.  DeBoer must be a heckuva coach...the mutts don't have this level of talent on paper.  I guess we look better now.  I still have to root for the cheaters next Monday. 🤮

• Thumbs Up 1

Up to Fusky defense after their RB injured on the last offensive play, couldn't run out the clock. 

Let’s go Longhorns!!!

On 1/1/2024 at 10:37 PM, JDuck said:

Makes me 🤢🤮 and to think 3 points and it could be us.  I think we could compete on this stage.  Recruiting should get us to this level quick.  DeBoer must be a heckuva coach...the mutts don't have this level of talent on paper.  I guess we look better now.  I still have to root for the cheaters next Monday. 🤮

I think that even if we had won the PAC-12 championship game, they would not have put us in the playoffs. 

All those damn Dawgs do is win. 

UW squeaks it out... It was looking like they were trying to gift the game to Texas there at the end.

Edited by woundedknees
  • Thumbs Up 2

At least no SEC in championship. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 7

Ugh.  What a horrific use of those 4 shots at the end zone.  Only one actual shot taken at a receiver and it was a super low chance floater fade. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Dawgs have won nine in a row by 10 points or less.  Ahead by six points, with Five seconds left and they get a sack.  Officials put a second back on the clock.  Texas receiver makes a great catch, but comes down out of bounds.  Destiny?

On 1/1/2024 at 9:47 PM, Desert Duck said:

I think that even if we had won the PAC-12 championship game, they would not have put us in the playoffs. 

Wrong.  Application of the protocol by CFP committee puts Ducks in at 3 or 4 with PAC 12 championship.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/1/2024 at 10:56 PM, Grandpa Duck said:

Wrong.  Application of the protocol by CFP committee puts Ducks in at 3 or 4 with PAC 12 championship.

I don't think that they were  required to put the PAC 12 champ in the playoffs. Obviously with an undefeated PAC 12 team, they'd go with that team. But I still think they would have passed on us with 1 loss. 

Just one man's opinion. But the lack of respect that we were shown by having to play #23 Liberty, says a lot to me. 

Other than the last 2 minutes of play, UW showed up to play. And no SEC? It could not have gone better today. IMO.

On 1/1/2024 at 9:53 PM, MikeJ said:

Ugh.  What a horrific use of those 4 shots at the end zone.  Only one actual shot taken at a receiver and it was a super low chance floater fade. 

Texas fans must be pissed at those final 4 plays. The last play has to be catchable in the endzone. I was so excited to think that the Husky fans were going to have a gut wrenching last second loss but it wasn't meant to be. Oh well. Go Michigan!

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, decided to root for the Fuskies over Texas and about had a heart attack at the end of this one. SIAP but the Washington brain trust ought to be given the Mario Cristobal award for clock mismanagement at the end of the game. Had the Fuskies simply went into victory formation on that first and 10 in Texas territory, they could have nearly totally exhausted the clock and the game is over, But for some unknown reason, they kept snapping the ball and handing it off thereby risking a bad snap, a fumble, and posssibly leaving Texas ample time to come down the field. They managed to do so exactly that and are darn lucky they didn't lose the game.

I thought DeBoar was smarter than that.

As the /Fuskies hung on, it is cool that the Natty will be between the B1G and the Pac-12 in the last season of the Pac-12's existence. Next year the Fuskies will be in the B1G, but this year, they are the Pac12 Champions dammit!!

And I need to eat some crow as promised. For the first year in BCS playoff history, I whiffed on my predictions for the semis.

A couple of thoughts after watching the two semis yesterday:

Arguably the two best and closest semis ever. Edge of your seat stuff.

Each team deserved to be there and the CFP committee got it right.

So did Georgia and Oregon. IMO the expanded playoff can't come soon enough.

The wins came down to little things like poor snaps and clock management.

Penix to Odunze was stuff of the highest order. I was amused that Fusky ran the same double reverse pitch back that OBD ran in the Fiesta Bowl.

The zebras called good games, got the replay reviews right and mainly stayed the hell out of the way. I'll bet they were the cream of the B1G and SEC. No PAC-12 refs in sight. Good riddance. 

If both teams play to form, the NC will be a doozy. Especially looking forward to watching the UW offense against the Michigan defense. 

Heaven help me, as I bleed green and yellow and excrete purple from my nether regions, I may actually pull for Fusky to win. I respect what DeBoer has done and can't help but root for Penix and Odunze to go off. Their fan base would be insufferable but it makes beating them next year sweet beyond measure.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

After watching the clown show between MI and AL I'm picking WA for the win over MI. 

AL and MI brought shame to the Rose Bowl with their bungling offenses and foolish mistakes. This was the most inept game of the (4 team) CFP era.

Of all people it was Nick Saban who had the "dear in the headlights" look. AL didn't look like they belonged and Michigan looked just a wee bit better. 

• Thumbs Up 1

OK. 14-0. Run your conference slate and go 13-0. The 1st team to do so since CU and Utah signed on. 4500+ passing yards. 430 pass yards last night against the number 3 team in the nation playing a Southern team in Dixie. 7 wins over bowl teams and 2 wins over what will be AP top 10 Oregon, top 15 Arizona on the road, and in addition, wins over bowl teams Cal, USC, Oregon State, and Utah. I think USC may finish in the AP top 25. It will be a joke if SC is ranked behind Louisville.

The best player in CFB came through last night.

On 1/2/2024 at 10:43 AM, Jon Joseph said:

OK. 14-0. Run your conference slate and go 13-0. The 1st team to do so since CU and Utah signed on. 4500+ passing yards. 430 pass yards last night against the number 3 team in the nation playing a Southern team in Dixie. 7 wins over bowl teams and 2 wins over what will be AP top 10 Oregon, top 15 Arizona on the road, and in addition, wins over bowl teams Cal, USC, Oregon State, and Utah. I think USC may finish in the AP top 25. It will be a joke if SC is ranked behind Louisville.

The best player in CFB came through last night.

The best player and the best WR. If I am a pro team drafting a WR, I take Odunze over Marvin Harrison Jr. Odunze has the better  contested catch ratio (in the 60s somewhat compared to Harrison's figure in the 40s, and the latter quit on his team for the bowl game. Jusr my opinion perhaps,mbut quitting on the team does not sit right for me. 

Penix truly is a dart thrower who can drop perfectly thrown dimes fifty yards down field. Making player comparisons is always a bit risky, but he gives me Kenny Stabler vibes every time I watch him.

I fully expect my Dawgs and Ducks to be entertaining us all in next year's playoffs. And yes, this was the most entertaining SET of semis in playoff history. 

• Applause 1

I started watching this game with my normal distain for UW. Pulling for Texas just to spite UW.

It did not take long for me to see who the better team was. It was obvious. As the game progressed I found myself being impressed by Penix and company, agreeing with KD in his interviews, and eventually hoping they would survive the Texas luck-fest... and they did.

The only time I felt sickness and vile was when they showed the purple in the stands. I now know it is ONLY the UW fans I currently have distain for. If I had no knowledge of that fanbase... I would be pulling for UW to win it next week. I won't be. But, I'll admit they have a very solid team. For now I have less hate Maize and Blue than I do for the Purple and Gold. 

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 3:00 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

The best player and the best WR. If I am a pro team drafting a WR, I take Odunze over Marvin Harrison Jr. Odunze has the better contested catch ratio (in the 60s somewhat compared to Harrison's figure in the 40s, and the latter quit on his team for the bowl game. Just my opinion perhaps, but quitting on the team does not sit right for me. 

Penix truly is a dart thrower who can drop perfectly thrown dimes fifty yards down field. Making player comparisons is always a bit risky, but he gives me Kenny Stabler vibes every time I watch him.

I fully expect my Dawgs and Ducks to be entertaining us all in next year's playoffs. And yes, this was the most entertaining SET of semis in playoff history. 

Nevada Dawg, Well said, and especially the "quit on a team" comment. I have been trying to explain it to my son, and why I did not like it; that was the easiest description. Not pointing any fingers, but I just don't like it. When everything is focused on the team, participation in team tests/games should be so, also.

Player comparisons with Mike Penix Jr.: you hit it perfectly - Kenny Stabler, and he was a lefty (IIRC). It was incredible watching Stabler lay that ball into a receivers hands, almost effortlessly, and the Raiders' receivers/TEs seemed to catch them so easily (of course, they were not caught effortlessly). Thanks for the reminder!

Go Ducks (I am pulling for the Dawgs because they are PAC-12, but I just can't get it out of my mouth or type it)!

The Ducks are 12-2 and with this recruiting class and QB/O-Line, Receivers/TEs, D-Line, LB, and DB, and Kickers Rooms - if our coaching and analyst/strength and speed personnel can build a very similar cohesive team as they did last year, and develop our players and rooms very similarly and coherently, the sky is the limit this next year.

Happy New Year! We have won two Bowl games in a row against teams we had never before played. Let's plan to keep that streak up.

KCDuck1

• Applause 2

While the fuskies did provide d-stain for the PNW division of the the pac (and now the B1G), I, too hold them in disdain.

I will sadly watch their attempt to win a semi-legit bragging right, vs the whoa-verines, simply because Jim Harbaugh may be the only thing I disdain more...

I think I just experienced a gerd episode.

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

Studies have consistently shown (experts concur) that anything good for the fuskies is conversely bad for the ducks. I will never root for them, although I will take the points and lay a modest wager on them (as l did in the Sugar) .  Then l’ll hope to hell Mich wins but doesn’t cover: best case scenario the ncaa then strips hairball of the win for cheating and the fuskies have another questionable title with a humongous asterisk on it.

• Great post! 1

I have come to have a huge amount of respect for Penix.  Trust me, I haven’t wanted to.  He may be the best NFL ready QB in this class.  I can’t see any holes in his game.  His pocket presence and accuracy are excellent.  

• Thumbs Up 1