Pennsylvania Duck

Reports: Oregon HC Dan Lanning a 'Top Target' for Alabama HC Vacancy

Brett McMurphy of Action Network reported Dan Lanning is a 'top target' for the Alabama head coach opening.

The College Football world was turned on its head as Nick Saban announced his retirement on Wednesday afternoon.

Saban, who won six rings during his tenure with the Crimson Tide, will leave one of the best jobs in the nation open for a plethora of head coaching candidates.

The 2023 Crimson Tide finished the season 12-2 with a loss to eventual national champion Michigan in the College Football Playoff semifinal in the Rose Bowl.

Following the news, Brett McMurphy of Action Network reported that Dan Lanning would be a "top target" to fill the Alabama head coaching vacancy moving forward...

247SPORTS.COM

Brett McMurphy of Action Network reported Dan Lanning is a 'top target' for the Alabama head coach opening.

• Yikes! 1

Not going to happen!

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not surprising at all.

DL could also see this as improving his odds of winning an NC at Oregon, with no Saban in the way, and if Harbaugh leaves...can anybody really convince Dan he is more likely to win a championship at Bama than Oregon?

The resources are similar, recruiting will be a bit easier, but playing Kirby all the time?

Edited by Solar
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Every guy has his own ego, and sense of self-worth, but I would rather be the guy who follows the guy that can't live up to the legend, than be the guy who follows the legend.

Life was a lot easier for Bill Curry who followed Ray Perkins than it was for Perkins who followed Bear Bryant.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Alabama football: Dan Lanning would be ideal Nick Saban replacement

Wednesday was the day that no Alabama football fan would ever be ready for. Legendary head coach Nick Saban announced his retirement after being with the program since 2007.

During that time, Saban won six national titles and went an astonishing 201-29. His Tide were pushing for another national title this year, but eventual national champion Michigan came from behind to beat Alabama in overtime, effectively ending the impressive career of Saban.

On Wednesday, he announced he would be retiring after arguably the best coaching career of any college football coach in the history of the sport.

The seven-time national champion turned 72 this year and everyone kind of felt like it would be his last year even if he didn't come out and say it.

So who would be the ideal replacement for a guy who has won more than anyone in college football? You can't easily replace the best head coach of all time, but if there's someone who seems to be on track to be one of the greats in the college football world, it's Dan Lanning...

SATURDAYBLITZ.COM

The Crimson Tide need to target Dan Lanning.

Duck fans react to Nick Saban's retiring, news that Dan Lanning is top Alabama candidate

The Oregon Ducks’ fanbase had quite a bit of fun on Wednesday morning with the rumors that Washington Huskies’ head coach Kalen DeBoer could be a candidate to replace Pete Carroll With the Seattle Seahawks.

Those jokes about a coach potentially leaving became a lot less funny in the afternoon, though, when it was announced that Alabama head coach Nick Saban was retiring, and Oregon coach Dan Lanning was being considered a top candidate to replace him.

While Lanning has continually said over the past couple of years that he has no intentions of leaving Oregon, and that he could see this being his last job, there is still some worry among fans that this could be a job big enough for Lanning to jump ship for.

As you would expect, there were some worries aired on social media...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Duck fans reacted to the Nick Saban retiring news on Wednesday, with the rumor that Dan Lanning could be a top...

I'm going to watch Pate tonight to get his thoughts on BAMA as a program in the NIL/portal age.

For all I know Bama is struggling a bit with NIL and the portal. It's not a wealthy state. Perhaps the struggles this year were the writing on the wall for Saban. It's hard enough having his coaches get poached every year, now if the NIL/Portal is another hurdle he has to overcome that other programs don't, then

DL will be on everyone's top pick list for any top college HC job. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 4:11 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

DL will be on everyone's top pick list for any top college HC job. 

He's turned down A&M, and if he turns down Bama, then I'm not sure just how many teams would bother trying anymore if all he is going to do is turn you down and make you look like an undesirable program to coach at.

At this point in time, rumors are just the media speculating.  Could Lanning be on their list? Sure.  However, Dan has only been a head coach for two years.  I think their administration will first try to get someone who has been a successful head coach for a little longer than two years.  I am not saying that Coach Lanning could not handle the job, but this will be the most important hire of their AD's career and the pressure is on him to get it right.  Will he gamble on a young guy or go for someone more proven?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Well it was nice while we had him

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Against my better judgment, I’m going to take Canzano’s article about DL to heart. That would be the one where he interviewed his parents.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

If he’s offered he’ll go.  Ellabama is just too good a job to turn down.

• Thumbs Up 1

Column: Oregon's Dan Lanning may end up at Alabama, but not in 2024

Here we go again.

Oregon Duck fans over the years have gotten used to the rumors circulating about their head coach potentially having eyes for other schools, and ultimately leaving the program to “go back home.” It happened with Willie Taggart, who left for Florida State, and it happened with Mario Cristobal, who left for Miami.

Minor rumors have swirled over the past two years concerning Dan Lanning, with both Auburn and Texas A&M jobs opening, but neither gained much traction in the end.

The main reasoning was that the two jobs didn’t offer a step up for Lanning, who has it pretty good at Oregon, and neither offered a “return home” for the Ducks’ coach who went to William Jewell College.

In reality, there were thought to only be one or two jobs that could ultimately lure Lanning away from Eugene if they opened up: Alabama and Georgia, two previous stops in the coaches’ career.

Well, one of those jobs just opened up...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Ducks head coach Dan Lanning is a top candidate to replace Nick Saban at Alabama. Here’s why he will stay.

Alabama is the mountain top. I don’t see how could Lanning say no.

WWW.SATURDAYDOWNSOUTH.COM

Lane Kiffin is built for this job. Others will be asked first, but Kiffin is in the right spot at the right time to replace Nick Saban as Alabama's next coach.

• Thumbs Up 1

This might be a landing spot for Jim Harbaugh. He could get out from under some of the mess he has made around the football program at Michigan.

• Thumbs Up 1

Explaining Dan Lanning's connection to Nick Saban and the Alabama Crimson Tide

Oregon Athletic Director Rob Mullens hired Dan Lanning out of SEC country with the hopes he would bring an SEC mentality to the football program.

But with that came the possibility of an elite SEC job could draw Lanning away from Eugene and in just two seasons, that job opened up.

Alabama’s Nick Saban just announced that after 17 years and seven national titles in Tuscaloosa, he would be retiring and the Crimson Tide are now in the market for a new coach.

Everyone is saying Lanning’s name will be on the top of the list of replacements. But what is the tie between Oregon’s head coach and the historic program that makes it such an obvious fit?

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Explaining Dan Lanning’s connection to Nick Saban and the Alabama Crimson Tide

If I had to guess DL is looking at an NFL head coach job after winning a NC at Oregon. 

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As Alabama circles, we'll wait for what Dan Lanning says and does

Oregon, yet again, has another SEC program being linked to wanting to hire Dan Lanning, and this time, it's Alabama.

I was at the school parking lot to pick up my oldest son from the school when he hopped in the car and asked me if I knew Nick Saban had retired. Funny how sometimes things work like that.

My first thought was that today and the rest of this week will be wild and stressful for Duck fans to play out as they wait for the fate of their head coach, Dan Lanning. Alabama will most certainly come calling for Dan Lanning.

They'll probably try and get him to interview. Lanning should interview for that job if I was his agent telling him what to do. Will he take it if offered? Who knows. That's where the mystery lies right now.

My gut says Lanning will remain at Oregon, but I'd be lying if I felt 100 percent confident in that feeling. Why do I think Lanning stays?

He's different than most head coaches. He's not afraid to go out and say something brash because he's not worried about having egg on his face for something he might do later on down the road.

Lanning loves Eugene and he loves the school at Oregon. He's said that time and time again, and he said he's committed to Oregon for the long haul even just two weeks ago.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon, yet again, has another SEC program being linked to wanting to hire Dan Lanning, and this time, it's Alabama.

On 1/10/2024 at 4:28 PM, latracey said:

Alabama is the mountain top. I don’t see how could Lanning say no.

He'd be crazy to say 'no'. But I do think he's a little crazy (in a good way). 

• Thumbs Up 2

After all Lanning has said about staying put in Oregon, and the genuineness I seen in him and so many players have commented on, I don't think he'll take the Alabama job if offered. Maybe I'm naive, but in this case I choose to believe.

Edited by CountryProf
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/10/2024 at 5:16 PM, crazyjeff said:

At this point in time, rumors are just the media speculating.  Could Lanning be on their list? 

Please... the dude is on an extremely short list and is likely at the top of the list. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/10/2024 at 5:50 PM, CountryProf said:

After all Lanning has said about staying put in Oregon, and the genuineness I seen in him and so many players have commented on, I don't think he'll take the Alabama job if offered. Maybe I'm naive, but in this case I choose to believe.

Please remember, this was the same kind of silly talk that so many Duck fans had when the Taggert & Cristobol ended up on the proverbial short list. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Saint Nick beat Kirby every time they played except on one occasion. 

Recruiting and NIL? Bama finished 2nd in recruiting this season. Bama at 80% has the bluest chip roster in the land. Harbaugh will not leave his alma mater for Bama. If he leaves, it will be for a try at a Super Bowl championship. Kiffin? had success at Bama as the OC and can recruit the South.

This job, UGA, Ohio State, and Michigan were the jobs that I believed would tempt Dan. Saban is making millions more than Dan a year with numerous off-field earning opportunities. If Dan is offered the job, this will be extremely difficult to turn down, Dan and his wife have resided before in Tuscaloosa. 

But, talk about a tough act to follow. If Dan stays, several Bama guys might be available when the portal next opens. I'm surprised Nich left without going for another title in 2024. Bama will be in the PO field next season.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/10/2024 at 7:56 PM, Desert Duck said:

Please remember, this was the same kind of silly talk that so many Duck fans had when the Taggert & Cristobol ended up on the proverbial short list. 

What "silly talk" are you referring to?

Uncle Phil matched FSU and Miami’s offers when we lost our last two coaches. I don’t expect him to give up without a fight. Oregon certainly won’t lose him for higher pay or due to homesickness. 

Before Dan Makes a decision, Greg Byrne has to make a decision. Does he love Dan as much as we do? Don't know. This is a big pressure hire.

On 1/10/2024 at 7:52 PM, Desert Duck said:

Please... the dude is on an extremely short list and is likely at the top of the list. 

Of course, he is on the list. He had success at Bama which led to his being hired by Smart at Georgia. The guy knows his way around the SEC and would come without all of the Kiffen quirks. Bama is one of CFB's top 6 jobs - Bama, Georgia, Texas, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Michigan.  Bama has the 2nd most wins in CFB history and by far, the most championships. The recruiting territory is the best. 100,000 plus fans for every home game. Outstanding facilities. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/10/2024 at 6:02 PM, CountryProf said:

What "silly talk" are you referring to?

The "We're committed to Oregon to infinity & beyond... and we're not going anywhere... I cross my heart and hope to die, and everything" kind of talk.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/10/2024 at 6:06 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Of course, he is on the list. He had success at Bama which led to his being hired by Smart at Georgia. The guy knows his way around the SEC and would come without all of the Kiffen quirks. Bama is one of CFB's top 6 jobs - Bama, Georgia, Texas, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Michigan.  Bama has the 2nd most wins in CFB history and by far, the most championships. The recruiting territory is the best. 100,000 plus fans for every home game. Outstanding facilities. 

Ummm... thus the reason for my counter comment. 

I don’t see a reason for him to go. Coach lanning has everything he needs here to go to the national championship and play at the highest level. He has the next three years of QB’s in place and his personnel. His family likes it here and even though he lost to the huskies 3 times, we love him. 

There is nothing but downside to a move to Alabama. He would have to move his family, work to put his culture in place, and deal with a hostile fan base and athletic department it you don’t win quickly.  Meaning he could be moving his family again in the next 4 years if things don’t go well. 

This seems like a high risk move with little upside other than the name “Alabama”. He has everything he needs to do what he wants here without the risk. 

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/10/2024 at 6:02 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Uncle Phil matched FSU and Miami’s offers when we lost our last two coaches. I don’t expect him to give up without a fight. Oregon certainly won’t lose him for higher pay or due to homesickness. 

If we lose, it won't be because we didn't show him the money. 

On 1/10/2024 at 8:06 PM, Desert Duck said:

The "We're committed to Oregon to infinity & beyond... and we're not going anywhere... I cross my heart and hope to die, and everything" kind of talk.

I've had a PhD in clinical psychology for 20 years. I've seen a lot of clients and supervised a lot of therapists. I'm in a better position than most to gauge genuineness when I have enough data. I've been wrong before, and I will be wrong again. I don't think I'm wrong this time. And I don't engage in silly talk

• Haha 1

On 1/10/2024 at 6:10 PM, CountryProf said:

I've had a PhD in clinical psychology for 20 years. I've seen a lot of clients and supervised a lot of therapists. I'm in a better position than most to gauge genuineness when I have enough data. I've been wrong before, and I will be wrong again. I don't think I'm wrong this time. And I don't engage in silly talk

Noted, quoted, and bookmarked. 

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

THEATHLETIC.COM

Will Alabama's next coach be a Saban protege? A look at the possible replacements for the legendary coach who won seven national titles.

He ain't leaving but...

giphy.gif

• Haha 3
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

"Tell me you didn't sign, because I'm still sorta moved by your 'My word is stronger than oak thing.'" Jerry Maguire

Seems to me that going to Bama to follow.Nic Saban is a recipe for disaster.  That is a painfully high bar to meet and the expectation to win it all year in and year out would just be a pressure cooker.

So, much like Pollyanna, I  fouling to trust the DL is a man of his word, and will stay to build OBD into the next college football powerhouse!  Unless Bama triples his salary, I think DL stays.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"So, much like Pollyanna, I  fouling to trust the DL is a man of his word, and will stay to build OBD into the next college football powerhouse!"

As pessimistic of human nature as I am, I'm going to roll with your wonderful 'Pollyanna' perspective, and for now, hang on to it for dear life 😅😉:classic_cool:

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 2

Whoever tales the Alabama job will probably start out with a depleted roster.  Most of those guys on that team signed up to play for a legend.  When the legend leaves, many of them will leave as well.

On 1/10/2024 at 8:26 PM, PittDuck said:

Unless Bama triples his salary, I think DL stays.

Even if these two guys showed up with stacks of cash I think Uncle Phil would be willing to get into a bidding war.

image.jpeg.5becf11e0643191369511bab3fa4ff62.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

• Cool 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Kirby is #1 on the Bama list

Whether he goes or whether he stays, I'm left thinking that the CFB landscape is nothing like it was 10 years ago. Alabama, along with a handful of other progrums, was the pinnacle of College coaching before heading to the NFL. But, with the change in Conferences and all the moving pieces, CFB progrums are not the same.

If you have a National Brand, check, a boat load of cash, check, and in one of the top two Conferences, check again, then where is the major draw? Oregon was 3 points from the Playoffs and its looking even better next year. So, does Lanning run to a ready made defense and good offense for the run next year? Does he use Saban's roster to win a Natty? Or does Lanning continue his building of an empire at Oregon, Building it all by himself and at the cusp of a Natty run? 

Who knows what Dan does. I haven't felt this hopeful of a playoff run since the Kelly years. The difference with those was that the scheme truly leveled the playing field. Now? We look like 'Bama' light. We just need a bit more. We all feel it. A little more defensive linemen to finish the job. We need 2-3 more years to finish this juggernaut. We have the offense, but just need maturity on the defense. We have a bunch right now but to be Georgia and Michigan D line dominant we need just a bit more. 

I'm putting my hat in the ring that Lannjng stays. After all, you don't want to be the guy that follows Saban. You want to be the guy that follows the guy that followed Saban. By then Lanning might have a Natty of his own.

• Thumbs Up 2

Lanning hasn't won anything. Too inexperienced and nowhere close to Saban in coaching. I think it would be stupid to follow a legend. I would't take him If I were Alabama. Don't get me wrong, I like him and don't want to see him leave but he is still unproven in my book.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, and Kirby is going NOWHERE. He's at the pinnacle already. 

On 1/10/2024 at 8:39 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Kirby is #1 on the Bama list

I always thought nobody could be hated more than Kiffin by the good people of Knoxville. Then Jonathan Smith came along and unseated him. However, if Kirby went to Bama he might have to have one of his assistants coach the Tide every time he plays in Athens or Atlanta. 

I feel strongly that he's either going to take the Alabama job, or he's not. One of those two. For sure. And, I have inside sources for this.

• Haha 4
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 4