Pennsylvania Duck

Reports: Oregon HC Dan Lanning a 'Top Target' for Alabama HC Vacancy

DL didn’t attend AL and doesn’t have a dying mother in Tuscaloosa, so his decision _should_ be more logical than emotional.

Bama finished ‘23 at #5 and OBD finished #6.

Given the margin of error in these rankings, it is pure folly to think that the Bama team and HC job in ‘24 are far superior to UO’s.

Moneywise, I assume that OBD would match any offer, so the only “reason” I can imagine to leave is ego.

But winning the FIRST Natty for a blue blood (yes, OBD bleed blue) would satisfy the ego so much more than Saban’s sloppy seconds.

All that being said, this isn’t my first rodeo, and I admit I absolutely engaged in all the “Willie/Mari-no-O-would-never-leave” “silly talk.” @CountryProf @Desert Duck

mea culpa🤚

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/10/2024 at 5:44 PM, VegasDuck said:

Lanning hasn't won anything. Too inexperienced and nowhere close to Saban in coaching. I think it would be stupid to follow a legend. I would't take him If I were Alabama. Don't get me wrong, I like him and don't want to see him leave but he is still unproven in my book.

Agree. If anyone went on those points it should Deboer who beat Lanning with lesser players. Cheaper to get too.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

WWW.SATURDAYDOWNSOUTH.COM

Alabama AD Greg Byrne explains what the Alabama coaching search will entail.

UGH, DeBoer at Bama is my worst nightmare.

On 1/10/2024 at 7:09 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

Agree. If anyone went on those points it should Deboer who beat Lanning with lesser players. Cheaper to get too.

I definitely vote for Deboer

Not much discussion so far about Lanning's family. I can just imagine the dinner table conversation tonight in that household.

DL has made a point of saying he wants to do what is best for his family and not jerk his wife and kids to yet another destination. Everything I've heard says that his family loves it here and is not keen to pull up roots yet again.

I'm guessing he will not say anything yea or nay until his wife buys in one way or the other. 

Someone call Matt Kearney? 

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

On 1/10/2024 at 5:38 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Lanning wanted the high buyout in his contract knowing full well that Saban was retiring soon. He's building his own dynasty right here.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/10/2024 at 4:11 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

DL will be on everyone's top pick list for any top college HC job. 

To infinity and beyond.

• Go Ducks! 1

You just gotta love how fuskie and SUC fans say Lanning is a terrible coach then turn right around and say he's the #1 choice for every major coaching vacancy that comes along.

• Thumbs Up 2

Anyone else see the interview with Nix’s folks about how Bo was treated by Oregon fans after the Georgia game?  The SEC fans would’ve wanted him tarred and feathered.  Instead, she saw Duck fans cheering for him as he headed for the tunnel.    Nix was given a home away from home to hone his craft.  That stuff matters, even to DL.

IF he stays, y’all probably had something to do with it.   

but…HE GONE!!  (Kidding)

Just read several reports that Dan Lanning is in Tuscaloosa right now.

• Oh no! 1
  • Yikes! 1

On 1/10/2024 at 6:42 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

UGH, DeBoer at Bama is my worst nightmare.

My worst nightmare is Lanning leaving and going to Alabama or anywhere else.

Tuscaloosa?   Probably wants to be readily available to represent Oregon when the recruiting decommits at Alabama start coming in.

WWW.ESPN.COM

Ryan Williams, the No. 9 overall prospect and No. 3 receiver in the 2024 ESPN 300, told ESPN that he has decommitted from Alabama after Nick Saban's retirement.

• Haha 1

On 1/10/2024 at 7:06 PM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

Where did you read those reports?

Source?

Source?

Dan Lanning has USC fans tied in knots and they see him in their sleep.  After gloating and proclaiming themselves the Pac-12 kings after they hired their coach, Dan Lanning has shown that hiring him was the real coup.

Screenshot_20240110-195228.png.01772e3be4fdb5ac52e144eb399313b4.png

Screenshot_20240110-195244.png.349d6a2457f4d2367f034e2eed02926b.png

IDK what to think - I wouldn't be surprised if DL is as good as gone. 'Bama and Georgia are the jobs that we all knew DL has a high probability of bolting for if they opened up.

Where there is smoke, there is fire.   There is also smokescreens….is Bama really this sloppy with the leaks ?

Lanning replacements:

Jedd Fisch

Kenny Dillingham

Will Stein

Jeff Chadwell Liberty HC

Sherrone Moore

...? 

If he's interviewing, he's interested. We've seen this play before. 

• Oh no! 1

On 1/10/2024 at 8:42 PM, The Grateful Duck said:

Lanning replacements:

Jedd Fisch

Kenny Dillingham

Will Stein

Jeff Chadwell Liberty HC

Sherrone Moore

...? 

If he's interviewing, he's interested. We've seen this play before. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Looks like that newscast is real.  Unless this guy Kamerman is completely up in the night the odds of Lanning leaving in my mind just went up to extremely likely. 

I'm really just sick of this tired old routine happening to us every other year.  Constant state of recovery.  It's just old.

If he goes, how many staff members go with him?  Does ‘bama tell him he has to keep Sabin’s staff?

This day, very quickly, might've just turned into our worst nightmare..

• Thumbs Up 1

As another said, Alabama is the Mountain peak. He will have to go. Alabama will have no problem with a $20 million buyout. Donors will be rising out of the Mississippi. Only chance is if Vrabel takes it. But who opts out of the NFL anymore. Kiffin is too squirrelly for staid Alabama. DeBoer too much outsider. Dabo's been labeled behind the times. He's a butt anyway. Watch out! Damn, I was hoping to see what Lanning could do in the Big 10.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

One of the most coveted jobs in college football has opened after the greatest coach in history has called it quits

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/10/2024 at 9:15 PM, Tony said:

As another said, Alabama is the Mountain peak. He will have to go. Alabama will have no problem with a $20 million buyout. Donors will be rising out of the Mississippi. Only chance is if Vrabel takes it. But who opts out of the NFL anymore. Kiffin is too squirrelly for staid Alabama. DeBoer too much outsider. Dabo's been labeled behind the times. He's a butt anyway. Watch out! Damn, I was hoping to see what Lanning could do in the Big 10.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

One of the most coveted jobs in college football has opened after the greatest coach in history has called it quits

•  
  • Seeing reports now that DL is actually not in Tuscaloosa. Also DeBoer is actually a more proven, experienced head coach at the time, just has no sec or bama ties..
  • Whew! 1

Matt Prehm on 247’s board has a thread that indicates Lanning is not in Tuscaloosa. I can’t read it but the title sounds positive. 

• Let’s hope! 1

If Lanning leaves..we are officially just a stepping stone school.

Im sick man 😫 

"Seeing reports now that DL is actually not in Tuscaloosa"

Yep, I saw a "report" that he was seen at Market of Choice in Eugene.   Rumor mongering on the Internet is not a "report" which is a word that implies fact based.

Another one, "the Alabama plane can no longer be tracked on Flight Aware."   Yep.  Hasn't been for months.  As I recall when Byrne hired Rich Rod he disguised his travel significantly.

Hell, Lanning could be in Alabama recruiting for all we know.  Or, he could be taking his kids to a movie.

Byrne is called the Ninja because he hires so quick and stealthy.

Whatever is going to happen, will be done with in a few days, certainly before the weekend is over.

247 says because betting odds on next ‘bama coach have been taken off the board, a pick has been made.  Another post says “yeah, tuck comin.”

I haven’t a clue who “tuck” might be.

Alabama’s pitch will revolve around how they’re the logical next step for DL, even though he fails to check all the experience boxes a job like that usually requires. If they can blow enough ego-inflator smoke into the image they’d like to create for him (not to mention their boosters and fan base) of himself as ‘destined’ to replace a legend, they might just get away with it,

The question is, are Dan’s feet squarely on the ground, or are they being swept from beneath him? If he wants to believe in someone else’s image of who he is, he’s probably gone. If he wants to keep his feet on the ground, continue to build his own program and image, and stick to the challenge he’s embraced, he’ll stay.

As tempting as it may be, he’s also smart enough to sense a beautiful trap. Sure hope I’m right!

• Applause 1

stupid question…In the days of the NIL (where we all cheat like the old SEC) and B1G media markets…. What is the advantage of Bama over Oregon?  

last year…easy.  2024 not ao clear….

Edited by Marshall Lucky
  • Like 1

I feel like very insecure coaches make the jump "while the iron is hot" and while their stock is high.  When they know they won't be able to maintain their current level of success.  There will always be an "Alabama" job in the future for Dan Lanning who is one of the youngest, most successful coaches in the game.  If he believes in what he's building in Eugene, then he will stay and see it through.

There is no upside for the next Alabama coach and Lanning is smart enough to remain patient for his time - which could always be Eugene.  He wants to go through the process of becoming a champion like he's preached to his players.  I don't think he's looking for a shortcut.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, he hasn’t denied it yet and I’d have to think he would have by now as this is the hottest story in sports. I think no denial by like, noon tomorrow = he’s gone.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dan has a chance to devalue Alabamas program a bit by saying no and Oregon is the place to be...

• Thumbs Up 1

It is impossible to know what is going on.  The media is making their smoke, and as many names as they are throwing around, they are bound to be right with one of them.  I am just hoping it isn't DL.

In the meantime, while all this is swirling around, I am going to utilize my very special coping mechanism.

head-in-the-sand.gif.6cd67b8189368e834ea02c64d86444a9.gif

• Haha 1

And now over to Chicken Little for the weather....

• Haha 1

Tuck?

I think somebody is trying to have fun with web site readers.

Tuck is probably Mel Tucker who was an assistant for a year at Alabama.   You know - the infamous Michigan State Mel Tucker.

:(

DL can certainly be impulsive at times. Hopefully, this is not one of them. If it were three years from now and Oregon had won a natty, one might argue (and I am not one of those ones) that Dan might jump at the chance to go to Tuscaloosa, which ain't all that cool a town. Making the jump at this point would be a serious error in judgment IMHO. 

I have the feeling that Kirby Smart knew that the Saban retirement was coming at the SEC Championship game. When the two men met at midfield after the game, Kirby allegedly said something like You have been a great coach Nick (note the past tense), and Saban allegedly replied I'm too old for this sh-t. My Bama buddy tells me that Saban has been very critical of the NIL culture and having to re-recruit his roster and coaching staff every year. And who can blame him. It is really much easier these days to be a Pro coach than a College head man. 

• Salute 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/10/2024 at 9:05 PM, OceaniaDuck said:

Why don't one of you guys in Eugene drop by Dan's house tomorrow morning, knock on the front door and say, "Hi, is Dan home?"

I'm just kidding. Don't do that. 

"Kids -- remember when I said that the 6th move and school system in 9 years would be your last... well..."

I hope not, but...

On 1/10/2024 at 10:37 PM, Desert Duck said:

Why don't one of you guys in Eugene drop by Dan's house tomorrow morning, knock on the front door and say, "Hi, is Dan home?"

I'm just kidding. Don't do that. 

Yeah don't go to Lanning's house. But  knocking on a neighbor's door and asking if they've seen him should be fine. Amirite? 

On 1/10/2024 at 11:18 PM, Dav3d said:

😞

Look at the aircraft type: EC3F

That’s a surveillance aircraft, commonly known as AWACS. So, for some reason I doubt the US Air Force is going to give Dan a ride... even for Bama.