Jon Joseph

RIP Bill Walton - Dead of Cancer at Age 71

Jay Bilas sums up Bill's impactful life in one word: "Authentic."

"I am blessed to have been able to know the man and consider him a friend." Bilas.

• Applause 1
  • Like 5

I am so sorry.  Truly a fantastic representative of the conference, and while I was not a fan of his broadcasting at times--he was truly a champion for the conference.  This was way too soon for him, and we will miss him.

What was Bill Walton saying during MSU game? We don't know either

• Applause 3

Mr. FishDuck

I feel if there was ever a human who seemed to embody the Pac-12 it was Bill Walton. 

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Another reason to miss "The Conference of Champions".

• Thumbs Up 2

I remember attending the playoff games, that remarkable run when Bill Walton and the Trail Blazers took the 1977 championship back.  That was a magical year!

1977 NBA Finals – The Moment Bill Walton Made History With the Portland Blazers

Did you doubt that Bill Walton was one of the 75 best players in the history of the NBA? After this, you won't doubt it anymore!

1977-nba-finals-the-moment-bill-walton-m

WWW.BASKET-REFERENCE.COM

1977 NBA Finals – The Moment Bill Walton Made History With the Portland Blazers

RIP Bill Walton. 

WWW.ESPN.COM

Jay Bilas describes what a great person Bill Walton was and how much he will be missed.

• Applause 3

On 5/27/2024 at 10:39 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Jay Bilas sums up Bill's impactful life in one word: "Authentic."

"I am blessed to have been able to know the man and consider him a friend." Bilas.

Dang... 1 year older than me.

RIP, big fella.

You may not have been a Duck, but you were true to yourself. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/27/2024 at 11:11 AM, Red Eddy Green said:

"The Conference of Champions".

Was in existence during his entire lifetime.  He saw the demise but didn't have to live it.

When I met him at the BCS game in AZ, I told him he was blocking my view at a Stones concert three years prior.  He then went on a typical "Walton rant" practically describing every song Van Morrison did in the opening and then the Stones' set.  

One of a kind.  I enjoyed his broadcasting 75+% of the time.

Thanks for the memories Bill, especially this one.

RIP

IMG_2431.jpg

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

He seemed to me like a genuine fine human being. Great athlete and I enjoyed his broadcasting. RIP Bill

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

A loss to all, and a life well lived! What else can one aspire to.

He also lived his life with enthusiasm and seemed to have no regrets, well done Bill!

images.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

I just saw this quote of his "Then, when I was 28, I learned how to speak. It's become my greatest accomplishment of my life and everybody else's biggest nightmare."

Wrong Bill, we loved you for it!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Was never a Duck but a worthy foe and a champion of the Conference of Champions.  The best player I ever saw in person and the magic years as a Blazer were a joy to watch, even in black and white.

Rest in Peace.

• Like 2

My favorite photo of him and Ronnie Lee....

Ronnie Lee.jpg

• Great post! 1
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

I met Bill in 1991.  He was on crutches with serious knee issues and surgeries.  He was at a Ralphs grocery store in San Diego shopping with three kids ... who are also now successful in their own right.  (He was toting a baby on his arm which I take was Luke.)  And, ironically, I actually worked for Bill's father.  Bill said his time with bball was worth all the pain he had.  He truly loved the game.

I asked him about his time in Oregon and he lit up.  If not for San Diego, he said he would move to the NW.  He seemed quite at ease and friendly and not at all the eccentric that he became on game broadcasts.

RIP Bill, and condolences to the Walton family.

Edited by Mudslide
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

Truly the finest voice and ambassador to the pac12.  He was all in.  Makes me sad. It's the end of a conference and an era.  We love you Bill.

• Like 2

TROJANSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Before he became an unforgettable television personality, Bill Walton was one of the greatest college hoopers who ever lived.

This is very heartbreaking to me. I cant believe it. An honest to goodness original and spectacular NBA center, A major positive representative of Portland and Oregon that brought my city to the NBA championship. I met him 2 times riding his bike. I as a Blazer fan was a bit concerned about that and let him know. Bill said some strange things now and then but was  true believer in the Blazers, Oregon and especially his love of the PAC 12 basketball. My condolences to his family and all Blazer fans from back in the day.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

One of Oregon’s greatest villains (UCLA) and heroes (77 Blazers). His place as the most colorful commentator of all time is firmly cemented in history.

RIP big man!

Wife and I had 5th row season tickets for the championship. Something we will never forget. This is a very sad moment for us. When he was healthy no one in the league could stop him. Not even Kareem. Bill and the boys swept the Lakers. It was marvelous. 

Bye Bill, you will be missed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Big loss for the sporting community.  Bigger loss for the world at large.

I have been amazed at Bill's ability to exude energy, happiness and positivity while suffering so many crippling injuries.

The '77 Blazers were an amazing team that shaped me as a boy and taught me the meaning of  TEAM sports.  The big readhead was a major reason I love basketball.

And as a basketball guy (player and coach), I truly enjoyed watching games he broadcast. So entertaining!

I can only imagine the stories that he and the Schonz are reliving right now.

I'm going to listen to Grateful Dead today in his honor.  Throw it down, big fella!  Rip City!

bill_walton.jpg

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 5/27/2024 at 11:39 AM, Steven A said:

Was in existence during his entire lifetime.  He saw the demise but didn't have to live it.

When I met him at the BCS game in AZ, I told him he was blocking my view at a Stones concert three years prior.  He then went on a typical "Walton rant" practically describing every song Van Morrison did in the opening and then the Stones' set.  

RIP

IMG_2431.jpg

"Ambushed On The Oregon Trail" -- As a kid growing up in Eugene at the time, I will never forget that game. And even though we despised UCLA, we all loved Bill Walton.

You will be missed, Mr. Walton. Thanks for so many amazing memories. 

Edited by Desert Duck

On 5/27/2024 at 12:22 PM, Charles Fischer said:

My favorite photo of him and Ronnie Lee....

Ronnie Lee.jpg

Dang... knock it off! 😉

"You're not going to make me cry, Roy."

So sad that Ronnie wasn't allowed to slam it home at that time. 

What an incredible flood of memories. 

Edited by Desert Duck

99654.jpeg.bd269c571ebd5aa42ad9e495b5d84a52.jpeg

What many people do not remember or know is that Bill had a terrible stuttering problem until he was about 28. Given this, the poor guy hated the cameras and did everything he could to avoid speaking to the press. 

Clearly... and I mean beyond clearly ;-), the dude more than overcame this challenge. He shares some of his story in the following link. It's more than worth a read. 

https://www.stutteringhelp.org/famous-people/bill-walton

• Thumbs Up 1

The honorary member of the Merry Pranksters joins his buddies and Jerry.

• Applause 2

Bill Walton in the 1973 NCAA Championship Game:

44 points

13 rebounds

7 blocks

21-22 FG

Bill Walton at UCLA (1971-74):

• 20.3 PPG

• 15.7 RPG

• 5.5 APG

• 2 National Championships

• 2x Player of the Year

• 3x Consensus All-American

• 3x NCAA All-Tourney

Greatest college basketball player of all time. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I got to see Bill play Kareem in the Memorial Colosseum. What a pleasure!  A true champion of humanity. You are missed!

• Thumbs Up 1

Just heard the news about his passing.

Bill was an original who left his unique mark on the sports so many of us love.

There's going to be a rather large empty space in our lives now that isn't likely to ever be filled. 

On 5/27/2024 at 2:20 PM, Autzen Magic said:

I'm going to listen to Grateful Dead today in his honor.  Throw it down, big fella!  Rip City!

Listening to "Ripple" as I type this.  ☮️

• Applause 1

Absolutely loved the man as a player. When home for Christmas from grad school in Ohio, I would always make a trip to Westwood to watch Walton and the Bruins if I could get tickets (I always found a way in).

One day in August, 1973, I was leaving Vegas for my parents home north of Bakersfield CA when I saw a guy hitching with a pack and a guitar and a sign reading "LA". It looked remarkably like Walton, so I pulled over and it was indeed him. So I told him I would be going as far as Barstow  before tuning off I-15. . As we approached Barstow where I was turning, we were having such an interesting chat that I told him "Oh hell, I'll take you into Westwood" (about 3 hours out of my way)

We discussed all kinds of subjects but Walton told me a story I never forgot (and later saw published in Sports Illustrated). It involved the first day of practice the previous season. Coach Wooden would not let him practice or play until he got his long hair clipped to UCLA'S standards Walton told me that he said' "Coach, its the 1970s, I can't stand to have short hair with whitewalls for gosh sakes". Now mind you, this is the reigning College Basketball Player of the Year saying he wouldn't get that haircut. He then said Coach frowned, shook his head and replied "William, I am sorry to hear that because we are really going to miss you."

Walton was back and hour and a half later properly shorn to Coach's standards.

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

On 5/27/2024 at 11:39 AM, Steven A said:

RIP

IMG_2431.jpg

A Duck fan and a Stones fan is a beautiful combo.   I totally relate.   My passion for the Ducks and the Stones is the exact same as Bill's was for the Dead.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I was gutted when Pre died.  Today feels the same.  Though Bill's record-setting days were over, unlike Pre's, he was living his best life as an elder statesman and broadcaster. My two childhood heroes gone. I ran track and played basketball because of those two athletes.

Bill turned me into a Deadhead too.  

It all rolls into one.....

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.b866c938e8e983728c11ee4e375f1037.jpg

• Salute 1
  • Great post! 1

Watched him in college and as a Blazer.  No center has made his surrounding cast better and efficient.  Bobby Gross lived off Walton's passing wizardry.  Lloyd Neal too.  L Hollins, Larry Steele and Sidney Wicks were so much better with  him in the center spot.

His NCAA final championship was amazing...he was like 22 out of 23 from the floor and blocked shot after shot on D.  An amazing man who dearly loved the state of Oregon

• Thumbs Up 1

Many of you have alluded to Walton's ability to make his teammates better. So true. I remember so often that He'd go snatch a rebound ant turn immediately looking for an outlet before he even hit the ground. Man the guy could pass the rock. In my experience, only Bill Russell was as good at distributing rebounds as the big Redhead was. People rightfully cite his impressive stats, but I always thought his passing was an underappreciated aspect of his game.

And I am still in a state of shock that he is no longer with us. RIP my man.

By the way, Mark Bradley, the dean of sports writers for the Atlanta Constitution, published his remembrance today. The article was titled something like "I always disliked Bill Walton...and then I met him".  A touching piece to be sure.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

RIP Big Bill!

Followed him all through college and NBA. Was able to watch him lead the Blazers to their only Cship!

A super human being!

Cancer??? More likely Bill died of a broken heart that his beloved UCLA was so instrumental in the demise of his even more beloved PAC 8-10-12. The Conference of Champions.

• Great post! 1