Charles Fischer

So...How About THAT Get-Well Game?

So many things to say, and I must admit that so much of the gnashing of teeth by OBD members in the early part of the game on the GameDay thread was pretty funny in retrospect.

I'm glad that they got the wide receivers going today as I hoped, and what are YOUR impressions?

Oregon vs Oregon State: College football live updates, score

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Do I need to consider that Oregon State just isn't that good? No. Even with that caveat, the Ducks did exactly what they were supposed to do. Practically, penalty free, and that's with the most ridiculous roughing the passer penalty ever seen. It was a text book tackle.

Gabriel shows us a bit of Mariota on his TD run, then throws with Nix's accuracy. The Beavers dominated the 1st half in TOP and trailed. The Duck's D dominated the second half, and the offense unloaded all over Reser Field. Gabriel had all time to throw, didn't have to worry about close windows, the receivers created separation all day. 

A perfect time for the Bye. Players will feel good about themselves and there'll be time to clean up some things and maybe even open up the playbook a little more. 

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

Offensive line showed good consistency and stability, they picked up their blocking assignments and had no(!) penalties.  This lineup might be the one that stays for the rest of the season.  Will they keep up that level of performance?  Let's see as they open up B10 play with the hapless Bruins.

Defense was pretty inconsistent in the 1st half, some lackadaisical tackling effort allowed the Beavos a higher number of 3rd down conversions than I was comfortable with.  Halftime adjustments alleviated most of that concern as they shut them down in the 2nd half.  

Special teams didn't wow like last game but it was pretty mistake free and there's just a delicious irony having Atticus Sappington hitting two FGs against his former team.

For it all comes down to incremental improvement.  Today's improvement was more than incremental and I don't expect such big steps every week but as long as there's *some* kind of improvement in an important area that bodes well for the rest of the season.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

This was the Oregon team we expected to see this year.

First half defense was a bit underwhelming but it did feel like the Beavers put everything they had into the first half and had nothing the second. 

Solid half time adjustments. 

Also ... Huskies lost! Great day to be a Duck! 

• Go Ducks! 4
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Oh yeah ... 

And 2014 baby! 

FISHDUCK.COM

The 2024 Ducks have survived, but have failed to reach their full potential this season. This is in large part due to an offensive line cobbled together…

We're ahead on the calendar and this team is much much deeper.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Oregon Running Back room was able to "release the hounds" with a much more improved offensive line play.  Wave after wave of Oregon runnings backs being shoved down Beavers throats.

Defense came to play And Boettcher is a Beast!  He was everywhere and that rundown, across the field, was...impressive (maybe he can start a bidding war for his services btwn NFL and MLB).

The team I think ALL of us expected to see at the beginning of the season.  (But, Wait!!!  No special teams TD's????  Slackers.)

GO Oregon Ducks!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It was a good game for the team. The OL play lifted everyone, DG was in command, the running game did major damage , and the  scoring was more akin to what we all expected. 

The defense probably would have allowed just 10 points if not for the bad call at the end of the half.

This game was much needed going into the bye week.

• Thumbs Up 4

Are there any equivalents to "PAC-12 After Dark" shows for the B1G? I loved being able to watch the repeats of that on Sunday mornings.

• Like 1

I like how the defense responded to an obvious getting chewed out.  

Damn near perfection.  That is the standard.  They don't have to be perfect, but the effort to be perfect matters.   We didn't see that effort in the first half on defense.

Very good performance today.  A solid B+ ( on a scale from F to A+).  So much to clean up.  Because we're playing to get ready for the playoffs.  Every game is practice getting ready for the playoffs.  Grade them tough, love them up to superiority.

All criticism is in respect to prepare for the elite teams.  No intent to denigrate the players.  It's all about rising to elite status every game.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

On 9/14/2024 at 4:28 PM, Annie said:

Are there any equivalents to "PAC-12 After Dark" shows for the B1G? I loved being able to watch the repeats of that on Sunday mornings.

Yes, it's called, "The Final Drive"

• Like 1

Yes, Annie, B1G network has “Final Drive” for conference recap, plus individual games in 60 minutes.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/14/2024 at 4:04 PM, Charles Fischer said:

So many things to say, and I must admit that so much of the gnashing of teeth by OBD members in the early part of the game on the GameDay thread was pretty funny in retrospect.

I'm glad that they got the wide receivers going today as I hoped, and what are YOUR impressions?

They took your advice: BETTER BLOCKING! Love to see it! Not just the O-line, I thought the down field blocking was improved as well. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

And Charles it looked like you won the score prediction . I am not positive but if you did---Great Job!!!

The offensive line that was primarily used in the second half last week, is what we started today and played with, thus much better consistency.  Again, some great sealing blocks by Strother, superb kick-out blocks by our tackles, and it was cool to see Poncho flying across the field and toward a defender who had to pause to avoid getting smashed. Hence he could not tackle Limar on the screen TD!

So many items to discuss, and truly a wonderful "Get-Well" game.

Was that a perfect second half?  Defense pitches a shut-out, and the offense scores 27?

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Whew! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/14/2024 at 7:20 PM, Charles Fischer said:

The offensive line that was primarily used in the second half last week, is what we started today and played with, thus much better consistency.  Again, some great sealing blocks by Strother, superb kick-out blocks by our tackles, and it was cool to see Poncho flying across the field and toward a defender who had to pause to avoid getting smashed. Hence he could not tackle Limar on the screen TD!

So many items to discuss, and truly a wonderful "Get-Well" game.

Was that a perfect second half?  Defense pitches a shut-out, and the offense scores 27?

And no bad snaps or penalties! Kudos to the offensive line and coaches. Heck of a turn around on the o-line.  

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Offensive gets a A+, just a beautiful display of an offensive in synch and motivated to finish every play.  I don't think the Beavers defense is worth much, but it doesn't matter, they played pretty flawless ball, no costly penalties, no bad snaps, no miscommunication on pass protect, really really encouraging to see, plus we got to see some backups finally get some time on the field which is much needed.

Defense I would give a B.  The first half is just not acceptable, it wasn't an F or a D, but I don't think you higher than a C for that effort, probably a C-.  I get OSU has more talent on that side of the ball, but you can't be that sloppy with tackling and not containing the QB.  Second half was much better (A-), really shows how much of a difference it is for the team if they are able to get ahead and force the other team to become pass first.  Need to get more turnovers!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Cautiously optimistic!

I cannot unsee the first two games, but I’m glad this game is starting to counter balance things.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/14/2024 at 5:52 PM, cartm25 said:

Cautiously optimistic!

I cannot unsee the first two games, but I’m glad this game is starting to counter balance things.

You know, if the first two games hadn't happened, the Ducks would be off to a great start this season. 

Edited by 30Duck
  • Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1

I'm telling you it's the potato curse. Oregon State isn't great, but they aren't three touchdowns worse than Idaho in the Beavis den.

• Yikes! 1

What I know about this age group, generation, is you can talk about what it takes to succeed until your blue in the face, but until they experience it, they will just act like they are listening, understand and will just keep doing it their way.

This Duck group seems to be just like the young men I know their age. Fortunately the group will now start talking about what 'they learned' and will undoubtedly step it up.

I can only imagine Lanning is as frustrated as I often am when I work with this age, generation. There is definitely good news as the talent is there, effort is developing, and wisdom is being gained through experience that isn't costing us anything yet.

jim-carrey-liar-liar.gif

• Great post! 2
  • Like 1

OBD offense looked like a high-octane OBD offense against a defensively oriented rival on the road. It wasn’t an accident they announced the PIG2 adding members this week. They thought this was going to be a showcase to add more members and it blew up in their face a bit. They were pouring their entire being into that first half.

This is the same team that struggled to score and pass the ball against IDAHO at home two weeks ago. I’m guessing we’d beat Idaho by 50+ if we played next week.

OSU and BSU are probably about equal and it was like a different universe. We’re back and there are currently only 2 ranked teams on the schedule. So feeling pretty good about our chances.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/14/2024 at 6:23 PM, David Marsh said:

Also ... Huskies lost! Great day to be a Duck! 

spacer.png

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Three weeks from now, we will know how good we are.

• Like 1

If you don’t punt and only have 6 third down attempts, that is a very very good day.  Hoping to see more of that. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Stanford Steve, pre-game prognosticator at ESPN, did correctly pick WSU to beat Washington. He also said, "I'm not touching Oregon @ Oregon State with a 10-foot pole"

• Haha 1

Offense: A.  Scored on every drive except intentional kneel downs at end of each half.  Blocking was solid, and still to get more playing time from the 2 hurt guys in upcoming games.  Should be even better. Still want to see a little more on first down rushes.

Despite it being mop up time:  Dante > Ty by a mile.  Difference in confidence is apparent.

Defense:  Tail of 2 halves.  B overall.  Suddenly sloppy tackling in first half, combined with bad luck on poor roughing passer call.   But pitching shut out in second half showed coaches and players made great adjustments.

DL now removed the monkeys off the back that were Boise history And last Corvallis game.  A few more to go…

• Thumbs Up 1

I think OBD B- team showed up today. It wasn't the C-/D team from week 1 and 2. If the entire team played like Boettcher I would consider them the A team.

The D gave up too many yards to a VERY inferior Beavis team--no matter what their fans believe! The O played nearly the B team game--let's do more B offense through the rest of the year!

Dillon showed why he was worth the NIL $, when the O line gave him more than 2-3 seconds of protection, because you saw that he didn't "lock" onto one receiver!! To quote an Eddie Murphy movie, "That boy is good!" Not good and terrible.

• Great post! 1

We finally saw some of the potential that we knew this team had. I'm not worried about the narrative that it wasn't the strongest Beavs team. As we have been saying, we cannot afford to play down to ANYONE. We need to take care of business! Dillon looked good. Jordan, Tez, Traeshon, T Ferg. And don't forget about Bryce Boettcher. Heck of performances. O line looked good (phew). Stein called a good game. Defense came to play. Overall, very happy with our performance on both sides. I know we were all waiting for a performance like that. Cheers from all the way over in Manhattan, NY and as always go Ducks!!! 

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about the defense in the first half.  If I remember correctly the bark rats were 6 of 9 on third downs and conseqently we couldn't end their long drives.

That said, the second half was just about perfect on both sides of the ball.  The defense completely shut down the rodents and our offense wore them down to the point where we could pretty much score at will.  Probably could have scored on that last drive with Moore if we wanted to as well.

This second half is what the team is capable of and is now the standard going forward IMHO.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Would like to see D get turnovers.  Several dropped picks this year and need to force fumbles.  Only Beavis one this week was from a bad snap which they recovered.

Glad run D stepped up in 2nd half.

On 9/14/2024 at 6:28 PM, Annie said:

Oregon was the lead on B1G Network's Final Drive...

• Like 1