cartm25

Disappointed in National Coverage of Oregon vs. Ohio State

I've not been impressed with some nationally recognized sports guys and their takes.

Colin Cowherd / JMac: "I came away from that game thinking tOSU is the better team."

Joel Klatt: On his show, he spent 5 minutes in a 25 minute segment congratulating Oregon, and then the next 20 minutes covering for tOSU. "These were the 3 tiny things on defense that they messed up on. They were the more efficient team on offense. Smith never extended his arms on that PI, and I don't agree with the call."

I'm amazed (and worried about society in general) at how people arrive at conclusions that are the complete opposite of VISUAL VIDEO EVIDENCE.

Call me a little let down that, on the day when I thought everyone would be talking about the Ducks and singing their praises, we get a bunch tOSU apologists. 

• Applause 2

Of course, they have to defend their failed pick…they can’t just say they were wrong.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Remember last year after Oregon lost in Seattle? All everybody was talking about was how the Ducks were actually the better team and would beat them in a rematch. Well, that rematch came and Washington was the better team. Hyping a rematch is not necessarily a bad thing for the talking heads.

• Thumbs Up 1

Cowherd is a notorious blue blood apologist.  I was a little disappointed in Klatt though, Smith certainly did extend his arms and the play was called correctly IMHO.  Of course the total whiff on the Bassa interception always seems to get glossed over with these guys.

Listen to Josh Pate's last show for a more objective viewpoint.  He has no dog in the fight whatsoever and he raved about the game and Autzen Stadium in particular.  Also watch the  BIG 10 Today show, they are very complimentary of Oregon despite the fact that the B1G newbys just beat one of their most storied blue bloods.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/14/2024 at 4:08 PM, cartm25 said:

I'm amazed (and worried about society in general) at how people arrive at conclusions that are the complete opposite of VISUAL VIDEO EVIDENCE.

Anything more egotistical than me commenting on my own quote?

Apologies, but I want to clarify that this refers the the video of Smith's PI in which he obviously shoved--while extending his arms because that's what happens when you "shove" someone--the defender 5 yards down the field before cutting to the outside.

I understand how Cowherd/JMac "might" reach their conclusion given how much "talent" tOSU has amassed; perhaps on a neutral field.

BUT - I'm shocked at how little attention that the unrecognized interception at the beginning of the game is getting, and all the points Oregon left on the table.

I don't care how close to the end of the game a certain call was, if you statistically analyze the correlation between turnover margin and wins/losses, winning the turnover margin is STRONGLY correlated to.

In other words, Oregon not being allowed to take a possession from tOSU likely had a far more significant impact on the overall outcome/result than the offensive PI call that was only highlighted due to the timing and circumstances of when it occurred.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 10/14/2024 at 4:24 PM, noDucknewby said:

Cowherd is a notorious blue blood apologist.  I was a little disappointed in Klatt though, Smith certainly did extend his arms and the play was called correctly IMHO.  Of course the total whiff on the Bassa interception always seems to get glossed over with these guys.

Listen to Josh Pate's last show for a more objective viewpoint.  He has no dog in the fight whatsoever and he raved about the game and Autzen Stadium in particular.  Also watch the  BIG 10 Today show, they are very complimentary of Oregon despite the fact that the B1G newbys just beat one of their most storied blue bloods.

Great post!

I feel the same, it was Klatt I was most surprised by, too.

Yeah, Cowherd has been rubbing elbows with Lincoln Riley, so he's always promoting USC on his show . . . gross.

• Thanks 1

The established narratives are entrenched and very slow to change, especially for the old-guard talking heads. The made their bones on selling a certain story about college football, and damn if they're going to change now. They're too invested in yesterday's news.

• Thumbs Up 2

Klatt is disappointing, but I still love him, I think he's incredibly balanced in his approach usually, sometimes people just disagree, I disagree with him, but I trust he doesn't have an agenda.

Cowherd is simply human garbage, always on the side of the team, player, coach, whoever is the biggest name he will side with them, he roots for only the big market teams, talks about how dynasties and big markets have to be at the front for the sport to thrive, puts down any little guys.  Always a blowhard, always toots his own horn, a dispicable person who hurts the national conversation. 

Completely ignores his small market roots, and openly talks about how it's always in a person's best interest to move to the biggest market, he can shove it.  Sorry if this goes against any community rules, I hate that guy!!!!

Edited by spartan2785

On 10/14/2024 at 5:24 PM, noDucknewby said:

Listen to Josh Pate's last show for a more objective viewpoint.  He has no dog in the fight whatsoever and he raved about the game and Autzen Stadium in particular.  

Josh Pate is one, if not my favorite, college football analysts. He loves college football, is well informed and clearly articulates his point of view.  College football is lucky to have him covering the sport.

• Thumbs Up 6

I think national media have a love hate relationship with the Ducks.

On one hand OBD are the rebellious new kid in school that immediately becomes one of the coolest kids around. This is great for ratings.

On the other hand, their ability to bypass the blue blood schools threatens long held narratives that are easy to plug in year after year.

The talking heads would much rather talk for hours about tOSU and SUC challenging the SEC big boys for this year’s title. But the Ducks have passed by SUC many moons ago and have home and away win streaks against the BIGs big boys right now.

The networks love underdogs upsetting big dogs in the early rounds of March Madness but when it’s championship time, they want to see North Carolina vs Kansas not Davidson vs UC Santa Barbara.

• Thumbs Up 1

What I find interesting is that preseason talk was how Oregon and Nike were buying players.

Then it's leaked that tOSU was shelling out over $20M in NIL, and no one objects. They even mentioned it in the broadcast, claimed they had an NFL quality defense. A roster deep at every position.

So what happened?

Oregon happened. 

We too have a stacked roster. And a very loud stadium. And our guy out-coached theirs!

That was the difference in this game.

The onside kick.

Too many men on the field.

Gutsy calls.

We know we could have played better.

The next time we play tOSU, we win by more, and the media will finally acknowledge how good a team we are.

Until then, one game at a time.

Just keep winning, baby.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

It feels like piling on Cowherd is redundant. But so what! He definitely bleeds blue. At least he's up front with it It's killing him that USC is still pathetic. I remember watching him on Portland TV in the 80's. He was okay then. But now?

He can only see Oregon beating Ohio State as bad. So what if Alabama has had its last two games, they should still be in the Playoffs. Thank goodness Miami is back. 

Klatt is disappointing. If he doesn't have an agenda, how can he be disappointed in the OPI on Smith?

On 10/14/2024 at 3:08 PM, cartm25 said:

Call me a little let down that, on the day when I thought everyone would be talking about the Ducks and singing their praises, we get a bunch tOSU apologists. 

I get it Duck-Brother, as I've been telling myself...."calm down Charles" umpteen times, and augmenting my blood pressure medication when read/listen to any of them.

This is the way it is for the Nouveau Riche, the new money of any category in life.  It will be this way in the B1G for us for probably 20-30 years, and we will be screwed in many ways between scheduling, officiating, TV Broadcasters, etc. 

Fine.  It will be Our Beloved Ducks against the world.

giphy.gif

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I think most of the talking heads were shocked that the Oregon offense could so easily move the ball down the field against the vaunted tOSU defense. Ducks end with 496 yards to tOSU 467, and zero turnovers. 

I read a few articles that stated Will Howard was the better QB on Saturday. I would disagree, they were evenly matched. It feels like those writer’s are biased, and simply pandering to a specific audience. 

When it is all said and done, winning games is the only way to slowly change the narrative. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

This is perfect in a completely awful way, like if somehow catsup was spilled in your coffee, Klatt will be on Cowherd's show on Wednesday. Today Cowherd's sole take on the game was, "if it had been played on a neutral field, or in Columbus, Ohio State wins."

Edited by 30Duck

It is diappointing but not at all unexpected. tOSU, Michigan and PSU have climbed the mountain, reached the top and planted their flag.

The national pundits have sung there praises. They serve the masses not the minority.

As we know OBD's has not reached thecpinnacle. I feel confident the Oregon Duck Flag will be planted soon.

The proof is in the pudding and expect the neglect, disrespect and abuse until the Ducks win a Natty.

The best thing the Ducks can do is continue to win.Put up 50 plus on Purdue and shut them out.

Then come home and take Illinois to the woodshed.

We had a great weekend, won a big game and now must back it up. We could have lost that game just as easily as we won that game. We took the pole position and not much more.  Back this game up in December and change the narrative.

GO DUCKS.....beat Purdue soundly!

• Thumbs Up 1

Is there a rules expert willing to comment?

In the NFL, I believe there is a rule in the first 5 yards there can be some contact but no such rule exists in college.

You cannot block or otherwise blast a DB as a WR unless the pass is thrown behind the line of scrimmage.

I was quite surprised at the number of comments I read in various sites suggesting "that kind of contact happens on every play".

No, WR don't run a 5-6 yard curl and after 5 yards, absolute blast the DB to the point he falls backwards about 4 yards, leaving the WR wide open for an easy catch and step out of bounds to save clock.

On Eleven Warriors, there is a thread where over about 6-8 posts and there is a discussion of this and there is one Ohio State fan willing to stand up to the crowd and say, " Yes he absolutely blasted the DB and it was about as clear as you are going to see." Props to that fan because I have to agree and am actually the tiniest bit surprised so many tOSU fans want to ignore the obvious.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If nothing else, and actually there's a lot of else, this topic has been cathartic. No need to go through the stages of denial, Oregon is the new Big in the B1G, and it's going to take not only time, but a complete overhaul for Oregon's presence to be accepted, much less, appreciated.

It was one thing when Oregon was tucked away in the Pac-12. They were just the shiny object, once in a while grabbed some attention, but for the most part weren't relevant. Cowherd and the other commentators know how to talk about the bluebloods, changing the script takes work.

I don't think the Refs were conspiring. but like everybody else they know Ohio State. For a long time we've all heard that Ref's are human. They don't want to hear boo's. Maybe Cowherd was right. If the game had been played on a neutral field or in Columbus, the call on Smith isn't made and OSU wins. 

This has a misleading title. How Oregon's win changes the the CFP picture? 

Their answer is that it doesn't... Oregon is still worse than Ohio State. 

I'm going to be blunt... One of my biggest takeaways from this game was that Oregon still has a lot more growing room. 

Ohio State looked like I expected them to and I don't know they have much more of a ceiling. They are very good but I'm not sure they left more points on the field than Oregon did. 

Ohio state left 3 points and were gifted 7. 

Oregon left at least 10 on the field and weren't gifted any. 

The narrative I keep coming around to is that Oregon was lucky. 

Pate is really the only one that seems to actutgive us credit. And actually spent time talking about us and not just Ohio State. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

If Oregon could cleans up their game by not commit so many bad penalties, make field goals and better game management decisions. They could be scary good on offence.

On 10/14/2024 at 8:54 PM, Dave23 said:

If Oregon could cleans up their game by not commit so many bad penalties, make field goals and better game management decisions. They could be scary good on offence.

Oregon had two penalties for 20 yards. 

One was the bad Holden penalty the other was intentional. 

I don't have so much of a problem with the 4th and goal attempt that failed.... It was well designed and Tez was wide open. Gabriel just didn't see him. 

But the 40isn yard field goal miss should have been a hit. 

This team has so much growth still. And if Lanning continues to push this team and we see them take on the near perfect execution we had last year with that killer instinct. 

Then Ohio State may be in for a rematch they don't want to have. Neutral field or not. 

I think our secondary locked down those wide receivers with the magic hands as good as they could have... Just needed to get more pressure on the QB and with Burch and additional growth I think we get that. 

Ohio State will get a bit better. But I think they executed and fulfilled their game plan almost as good as could have been expected. 

Looking at how they moved the ball on offense they were very consistent. More consistent than Oregon was... But Oregon was explosive and schemed up a better game. 

Ohio State's defense is very very good... With their athlete advantage they want to play that way because it has and will dominate games. 

Until they play someone with similar skill and can pick on some of the one-on-one match ups. 

• Great post! 2

Homer national journalists should have no place. Too much misinformation.

And Oregon was more harmed by bad luck and refs. Missed more execution (botched kick holds, missed open WR for TD, etc). This was a 10 point Oregon expected win rate. Oregon had higher ceiling. Just needs to quit hurting itself.

On the refs: that was clearly tOSU offensive PI push off to gain an advantage of space, textbook call.

But they missed the opening drive interception for 7 point swing and wrongly calling ineligible UO receiver/formation cover up on a good gain.  Lanning said UO submitted that play to league and was informed refs indeed got it wrong.

Report that.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/14/2024 at 10:21 PM, David Marsh said:

One was the bad Holden penalty the other was intentional. 

I'm being a little nitpicky and not referring to just this game, there's been a lot of penalties that have cost a lot of points.

This team is getting better and better by the game and a little bit of polish would make this team unstoppable on O.

I'm just excited to watch that progress every game and soon this offensive will look like last year's team in that they will be efficient and executing on a high level. DG is almost exactly where Nix was in his first year, too bad we don't get him for another year.

Edited by Dave23
Spelling

Of the two teams, arguably, Oregon has more room to improve.  I think we took their best shot.

In a rematch, with Burch, Howard will have even less time for routes to develop.

I am also surprised there is as much questioning of the offensive PI call as there is. I've been watching college football a long time and struggle to remember seeing a receiver blast a DB so forcefully with two hands before. Klatt's 'extended arms' point seems off base. Is there really a rule that says the receiver's arms have to be fully elbow's-locked extended to be offensive PI? He shoved him hard enough to send him stumbling backwards in a way you don't see often.

Edited by MikeJ
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/15/2024 at 12:39 PM, MikeJ said:

I am also surprised there is as much questioning of the offensive PI call as there is. I've been watching college football a long time and struggle to remember seeing a receiver blast a DB so forcefully with two hands before. Klatt's 'extended arms' point seems off base. Is there really a rule that says the receiver's arms have to be fully elbow's-locked extended to be offensive PI? He shoved him hard enough to send him stumbling backwards in a way you don't see often.

To me, it was the perfect example of what exaggerated offensive PI is...how can anyone dispute it?

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/15/2024 at 1:39 PM, MikeJ said:

Agreed.

It's similar to the annoying cliche "He never got his head turned around."

Defensive PI has nothing to do with getting your head around, and everything to do with how much you are/are not physically impeding the receiver.

On 10/15/2024 at 2:15 PM, cartm25 said:

Defensive PI has nothing to do with getting your head around, and everything to do with how much you are/are not physically impeding the receiver.

It's also extremely annoying when I see. hear, that there was still a second left when Hall went down. The clock was still running, like it does on every play.

Over at "Eleven Warriors" they're still going on about the "second" & there's this:

Upon review that was a very bad call against Jeremiah Smith with 26 seconds left. The problem being the ball was NOT in the air at that instant so there can't be pass interference - home cooking. Just stop the video at 26 seconds - the ball clearly was still in Howard's hands SMDH

Edited by 30Duck

Well,

Let's see if I can be brief about this...

1.  Ohio State, despite their struggles on defense, answered the bell every time we scored.  They are damn near unstoppable, and they have some mismatches we cannot defend.

2. They will improve on defense.  I've paid tons of attention to this 'immediate threat' of ours.  While I was pretty sure OBD would explode on them, I wasn't sure they would do so an entire game. Now they know what they're looking at.  They will adjust, and OBD better be ready. 

3. We left a lot on the table.  Probably another 14 points.  They would have answered. Again, that offense is virtually unstoppable.

4.  DL once again put the game on the line on 4th down-twice.  He got away with it...this time.  I like his aggression, and once again, Stein called the exact play to score a TD (but once again our QB misread the play).  DL has to trust the defense more.  They executed several times to give the offense its chance to seal the deal.

5. Lupoi stepped up on Saturday.  I've said many a time that I do not like our defensive formation up front.  Ohio State shredded it.  But Lupoi baited Chip.  He kept the front, but attacked the 'weakness'.  I'm not expert (coach speak and strategy) enough to explain why, but he did it.  Tons of commentators, and fans complained about Chip abandoning the running attack in the second half.  It was a direct response to Lupoi's adjustments. Chip will have an answer in response. 

6. While I do believe we are more physical than Ohio State, I do not believe that translates to much of an advantage.  Their skill players are as good as ours, and Chip uses Will Howard's strengths very, very well.  We will have much more to contend with the next time we play them.

7. The reasons above are why I believe the narrative from both the Buckeyes, their fans and the media responded the way they have. They didn't see what we left on the table, they saw how well Ohio State kept responding despite the way we played.  We dictated the physical aspect of the game.  They didn't blink one bit.  

8. We will need Birch and Holden next time. Despite Ohio State's huge loss on the offensive line. 

9.  OBD will have to play a cleaner game than they played Saturday.  We have to remember, that Pass Interference play did significantly alter the result of the game. We exploited it perfectly, but if that was simply a completion, we lose that game.  Despite what many of us believe was a game in which we outplayed them. 

Can we beat them one or two more times?  I saw tremendous growth from OBD last week. As long as that growth continues, they have a chance to not only take care of  Ohio State, but Texas as well (or any other juggernaut that emerges over the next 6-9 weeks). 

Again, championships are won by the slightest of margins.  Every play matters.  Performing at your peak on every play matters.  Mistakes, even the little ones, can be fatal.  We got as much luck last Saturday as they did.  Both teams made mistakes-and both fan bases were emphatic about it.  Because everyone understands a mistake is more likely to lose a game than a great play will win it. 

Fingers crossed, because we are going to ride a serious roller coaster the next three months!

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 2

On 10/15/2024 at 3:53 PM, Mike West said:

Can we beat them one or two more times?  I saw tremendous growth from OBD last week. As long as that growth continues, they have a chance to not only take care of  Ohio State, but Texas as well (or any other juggernaut that emerges over the next 6-9 weeks).

What I saw was that the Ducks still have quite a ways to go to teach their ceiling. We aren't anywhere close to reaching it. 

I would love to see some more pressure on the QB but Ohio State also has a good offensive line. Next round we're going to need to get Howard on the ground. 

On 10/15/2024 at 3:27 PM, 30Duck said:

Over at "Eleven Warriors" they're still going on about the "second" & there's this:

Upon review that was a very bad call against Jeremiah Smith with 26 seconds left. The problem being the ball was NOT in the air at that instant so there can't be pass interference - home cooking. Just stop the video at 26 seconds - the ball clearly was still in Howard's hands SMDH

You’d think blue blood buckeyes would know the rules, or at least self-police or correct in their own forums.

It was easily PI per below definition.

Per NCAA rule book 2024 source file:

“Offensive pass interference occurs when an offensive player:

Blocks Downfield: Engages in blocking downfield before the ball is touched when the pass is beyond the line of scrimmage.

Pushes Off: Initiates contact with a defender to create separation in an attempt to catch a pass.”

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/15/2024 at 6:27 PM, 30Duck said:

It's also extremely annoying when I see. hear, that there was still a second left when Hall went down. The clock was still running, like it does on every play.

Quick question. Which player was Hall? I know some OSU fans are griping about there being one second left when Howard slid, but he didn’t get a first down so the clock kept running because nobody called a timeout fast enough. In fact it would be virtually impossible.

On 10/15/2024 at 5:45 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Which player was Hall?

Hall, Howard, Herbstreit, they're all the same to me when it comes to Ohio State QB's