FishDuck Article

FORGET the 2025 Season: Ducks Better Savor This Year…

My many Duck-Buddies…I know I should not be looking ahead, but I did so in order to provide perspective on how experienced and savvy this 2024 Oregon Football team is. Doing so made me wince and cringe, as I realized that I had better enjoy this special 2024 football season, because next year appears to be a major rebuilding effort ...

FISHDUCK.COM

My many Duck-Buddies…I know I should not be looking ahead, but I did so in order to provide perspective on how experienced and savvy this 2024 Oregon Football…

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I get what you’re saying and have learned how to appreciate the moment but didn’t we say the same thing about last year’s team?

Coach Dan Lanning (DL) has proven, in his very short time at Oregon, that he will be aggressive in the transfer portal to plug holes in the roster. I have complete faith in DL, with backing by Oregon’s NIL collectives, to build a championship level roster every year. The “rebuilding” year seems to be behind us in the era of the transfer portal. Of course, that doesn’t mean that the team will come together and live up to their potential every year.  

What if one of the two Texas QBs transfers to Oregon next year to compete against Dante Moore?!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think the only season we had to be cautious about was when Lanning settled for the Mariø leftovers. Lanning is going to get his guys each year for the foreseeable future.

I get the disturbing list you wrote up, but my bet is Lanning is all over it and excited about the opportunity!

Guys like Lanning just see things differently than 99.9999% of the people out there.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/23/2024 at 4:58 AM, OregonDucks said:

The “rebuilding” year seems to be behind us in the era of the transfer portal.

Agree with you here. The mark of being elite is being elite every year. Start every season in the top 5 and finish there every year. I know that a lot of coaches aren't matching Lanning and the staff when it comes to recruiting/portal, and that will keep the Ducks in the mix for the Natty year in and year out.

• Applause 1

At some point we need to see if this staff can develop a QB instead of plucking transfers out of the portal every year.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/23/2024 at 7:25 AM, Haywarduck said:

Guys like Lanning just see things differently than 99.9999% of the people out there.

Coach Lanning, like most of the top coaches, is also ultra competitive. It's who he is and how he is built. He probably hates losing more than he enjoys winning.  Dante Moore told a story about Coach Lanning looking for a corn hole partner and when Dante told him he wasn't that good, Coach Lanning went looking for another partner so he could win.  LOL.

As you mentioned, people like Coach Lanning are just built differently than 99.9999% of the people out there. He is energetic, will not settle and will ensure that he is surrounded by coaches, players and support staff that are willing and capable of competing for conference and national championships every year. I just don't see him letting up until the job is done and Oregon wins a National Championship (or multipe).  So glad that the dude is on our side and leading our program!!!

P.S. -- If you haven't seen it, watch the first minute or two of the Ducks vs. Them video this week on YouTube (i.e., the Purdue game). He learned A LOT from Coach Saban at Alabama and Coach Smart at Georgia, and has brought that attitude and process into the Oregon program.  He's also a great motivator.

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/23/2024 at 8:19 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

At some point we need to see if this staff can develop a QB instead of plucking transfers out of the portal every year.

I posted an article about this and the take away is that a transfer QB is less of a gamble. They made their mistakes, learned how to play the position and matured/developed into a leader. It's a lot easier to evaluate a QB with years of college tape than a high school QB dominating inferior competition (i.e., a man amongst boys). You just have to do your due diligence to make sure that they can fit your system and culture.

I think that Coach Lanning and staff will continue to bring in talented high school QBs, in hopes of hitting a home run (e.g., Justin Herbert, Marcus Mariota) but also continue to bring in transfer QBs, especially if they are not convinced that the QB on the roster is ready to lead the team to a conference/national championship. I would expect to see a lot of talented QBs continue to transfer from Oregon and have success elsewhere.

Just look at how bad the NFL is at projecting success at the QB position (and they throw millions and millions of dollars into it)!

On 10/23/2024 at 6:19 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

At first, I agreed with this. But, in this Transfer Portal time I don't know. Gabriel is working fine, why wouldn't an elite QB slide in and be great next year? Developing a QB also isn't available like it was before. A team will always want to recruit top QB's, and Oregon is doing that, but the transfer is always an option. 

• Thumbs Up 1

This Duck fan feels confident that DL and his staff have had multiple, non player discussions on this subject.

As forward thinkers and doers they have do know who they need to replace. And most likely have a NIL and recruiting plan in place the minute the portal opens up.

The future talent on the bench may be the best ever at Oregon. Just needs to be seasoned with the right experienced players in the portal.

Winning the BIG, going deep in the playoffs or beyter yet, winning the Natty will help all aspects of recruiting and in the portal.

Nice sidebar topic and this fan is Happy to turn my focus and worry to the 6-1 Illinois team. Personally, i see a let down by the Illinois team after their rare win over the blue blood that is Michigan. Lots of spent emotion?

GO DUCKS.......

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think replacing the talent is the problem, team cohesion seems to be the biggest issue with bringing in so many portal players. 

Having some key players around like Ferguson, Johnson, Cornelius, etc. help these incoming players transition, especially at QB, into a new culture with a new playbook. This is very important on D as well.

Many of the Ducks early season troubles were miscues and penalties due to lack of playing together. The more starters you lose the bigger the chance of dropping an early season game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Perhaps you should have posted a trigger warning with this post Charles. I have been thinking the same thing but with not near the depth you invested. Let's get it done this year! GO DUCKS!

We are definitely going to lose a lot of seniors and experienced talent next year, and no doubt Lanning will reload with transfers and depth.  I'm curious the data around whether this trend is actually more common across college football, and not just an Oregon challenge.  This is the last year of the COVID exceptions, so you have a much higher percentage 5th year and extended seniors.  This is one reason Dillon Gabriel is even eligible this year.  So while we definitely have a higher percentage of players graduating or heading to the NFL, I question if that drop off is more common this year across the sport.  

In theory, next year you'll have a smaller overall pool of college athletes with eligibility, more in line to 2019 and prior years.  If someone could run an analysis on this by 12 noon that would be great.  Thanks. 😉

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

This year has got my full attention for sure. As to next year I am actually very excited about that as well. I feel that next year will be Lanning's first true team. It will be made up of guys he recruited himself and has been developing behind the curtain the last couple of years. All of those 4-4 1/2 star guys we raved about recruiting have been taking a back seat to the transfers that came in filled the starter spots the last couple years will finally be taking the field.

These guys may lack in game experience but they do have practice experience going up against some of the best players in the country every day in practice. I'd say 2-3 years on the team learning both Lanning's system and culture is worth more than just bringing in a plug and play senior from the portal. I'd expect him to portal in a few positions of need like offensive line and running back but they look pretty set everywhere else. I'm excited for what the future holds but first there's a 2024 championship to go after right now.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

We will have some room for transfers next year. 

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

As part of the new revenue-sharing model, by-sport scholarship restrictions will be eliminated, and schools are permitted to offer scholarships to the entirety of their rosters.

Basically walk-ons are gone and are now scholarship players which does open up some potential additional room. 

But we'll see what next year's team looks like next year. Right now we do need to enjoy the ride of this year. I have confidence that Lanning will reload the roster for next year and I am sure that with another year of development there will be loads of players who emerge as contributors who have been practicing against these seniors. The Georgia, Bama and Clemson National Title teams always seemed to have new all star players emerge in their 3rd or 4th year at the institution. 

So I have faith in Lanning and let him worry about that for now. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/23/2024 at 4:58 AM, OregonDucks said:

Coach Dan Lanning (DL) has proven, in his very short time at Oregon, that he will be aggressive in the transfer portal to plug holes in the roster.

Yes, that is what I said last to myself last year privately, while crossing all my fingers as I thought it.

But this year...we do not have a very large high school recruiting class because we do not have the scholarships available, and if the 105 were being accounted for....then our recruiting efforts would reflect it.  Look at how many recruits we have committed for 2025 compared to other teams...

N.RIVALS.COM

2025 all-teams football recruiting team rankings by Rivals.com

My Duck-Buddies, I am a DUCK, not a Chicken-Little,

but I think alerting all of you to this is helpful?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

I will love next year’s team, and the next, and the next….I am a fan of the Ducks.

You are 100% correct that this is a very good team, and seeing great players leave is always sad. However, to me, all that it means is that a new chapter begins.

• Applause 1

We are stacked to the gills with talent. Now that things are rolling and consistent, I would expect our recruiting classes in the future to be under 25 players every year.

As to the QB observations and the portal. I believe we are doing it perfectly as is. A high profile transfer took the job this year and we are currently developing 3 guys that I believe were all 4 stars or higher out of HS…not sure how to do it any better than that.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Great reminder Charles. 

We need to enjoy this year's run.

I too noticed the plethora of seniors at the beginning of the season as I tried learning the new names and numbers.

The caveat is we are also stacked with younger talent, and the future looks just as impressive with recruits.

I agree that many other teams are also senior heavy do to extra covid year eligibility. 

Also, there doesn't seem to be a clear cut "best team" in the nation. Several leaders, including our Ducks, so now is a good year to make a run.

Next year will be a reload, not a rebuild.

Some of those 2025 verbals look ready to play right away.

But mostly, live one day at a time. Enjoy the moment. And Sco Ducks!!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

Thanks, Charles, I think? Seriously, this was a great update looking ahead to the 2025 roster.

In Ann Arbor this season there is frustration, but Wolverines fans are still basking in the after glow of a Natty. 

I'll definitely trade a frustrating 2025 season for a National Championship on 1/20/25.

Let's look at the 2025/26 schedule. OOC - Montana State instead of Idaho - W, OK State - The Cowboys are having a bad season with almost the entire team on O back. I see Gundy with a 'brand new team' getting head-butted in Autzen - W. I'm more worried about Beaver Clever 😁 than Beavis. 3-0 

I'm trusting Danno and Stein to have the Ducks playing good O headed into the 2025 B1G season and also to have top drawer recruits ready to play on D as augmented by Portal pickups. The Portal 'recruiting' will be aided and abetted by Division Street. 

Oregon in 2025 does play 5 B1G road games. However, Oregon will have a Blue Chip Roster. The only team on the schedule certain to be Blue Chip is Penn State. (How many 4*stars will bail out of South Central?) The Ducks play at PSU next season. This could be a loss, no doubt. 

USC 😁, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and what could be a tough Indiana team visit Autzen. I'm calling 4-0 in home territory. 

In addition to Penn State, in 2025 OBD is on the road at Iowa, Northwestern, Rutgers, and UWho. Oregon loses Gabe, UWho loses Will Rogers. Will UWho's new starter be as productive as the QB Stein puts on the field.

This is not a daunting road schedule. Not terrible travel. 2 trips to the Central time zone, one to NW, and 2 trips to the Eastern time zone, one to Rutgers.  

NO Ohio State and NO Michigan on the 2025 regular season schedule.

Ceiling 11-1. Floor 9-3. Likely 10-2. 10-2 with a P4 OOC win likely returns Oregon to the playoff. And look out for the 2026/27 team! The CFB champ game in 2027 will be played in Las Vegas. 

Bama lost stud after stud to the NFL and won titles. Danno has OBD on a Saint Nick trajectory. The future's so bringht 😍.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

One of the great things about the expanded playoff is you don't have to be great the entire season. You can afford a loss or two and still make the playoff. As long as you are peaking at the end of the year you'll have a chance. I feel next years team will have that chance. 

You don't have to have an undefeated season to be national champs. You just have to win the last game.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think the headline of "Forget 2025 season..." is a bit of a clickbait, but it certainly got my attention, LOL...

Like most here, I also don't think it will be that dire.   Our recruiting class for next year is strong and DL will no doubt pull more transfers to plug the experience hole.   With Uncle Phil's deep pocket, I am sure we will be just fine.   The only question is how committed he will be after we win the Natty this year?  🤣

• Applause 1

On 10/23/2024 at 5:30 PM, DuckFan93 said:

." is a bit of a clickbait,

No, it is not.  We lose NINETEEN starters, and only return THREE.  When has that ever happened to Oregon football?

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/23/2024 at 11:46 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Montana State instead of Idaho - W

Don't sleep on Montana State they beat Idaho 38-7 this year and are currently undefeated. They will have a 4 year starter at QB and one of the best Defenses in the FCS. They just may wine their own national championship this year.

I might be a little bias being that I when to Montana State. Lol

Edited by Dave23
  • Thumbs Up 1

Maybe Bedford ends up getting another year if he ends up not making it back (I think this is his 6th season but he only played one game in 2022 and might miss all of 2024 which I would hope would make him a good candidate for a medical year)?

Looking at it right now, I'd think the staff will probably be looking in the portal for: OT, OT, TE, WR, DT, CB, CB, S, S, and NB based on who we have seen play so far, and at what points in the game (in the sense that if there is an experienced player available in the portal the staff likes, it likely would take that player to compete with the guys returning, despite young talent on the roster -- who still might be considered more in the "depth" stage).

That's 10 guys which seems like a lot; but, in 2023, I think 8 starters were first year portal guys; and, in 2024, I think 7 starters were first year portal guys.

So, in this new environment, even 9-10 new we starters doesn't seem crazy. I think Oregon's on the field success, coaching staff, success highlighting portal guys well in their shorter time here (Irving, Gonzales, Nix, Gabriel, Cornelius, Burch, Kyree, Stewart, Caldwell, Harmon, Tysheem, Muhammad, Reed, etc.); and presummed competitive NIL, makes Oregon possibly a strong contender for a number of the top portal guys.

I'd say top concerns would be finding 2 or possibly 3 OLs in the portal who are good in their first season, won't be easy. If Stewart continues on his recent trajectory, I think he could be gone. I think there are options at #2 or #3 WR but I don't see an obvious #1 WR (could Dakorian Moore have that kind of first season impact?) Finally, there are a few young guys we are hearing good things about in the secondary (Pleasant, Flowers, Woodyard, Laulea, Turner, etc.) but I wouldn't be surprised if guys are looked at for all five spots.

Looking at all the senior starters, before the season I was thinking "rebuilding type year" in 2025, but now I think I probably should first wait and see what those additions look like. As well, in college football, much is about the QB, and if the Ducks get good play at that spot (and the rebuild OL holds up), even with a bunch of new starters, on paper should still be very competitive.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Welcome to the world of elite recruiting in big-boy football. Georgia has had more players drafted over the past four years than anyone, and many of the backups ,failing to crack the two-deep at their position, decide to portal out. Replacing tremendous roster attrition every year is part of being an ultra successful coach these days.  

Unfortunately, several of the disgruntled portal exits are from  players who feel they are not being developed properly when, in truth, they haven't given it enough time. A relative minority transfer and flourish, but many do not. And, of course, some players are advised to portal if the coaches don't see them making meaningful contributions after two years. 

But my major point here is that very meaningful roster turnover is the rule rather than the exception among the elites of college football in the NIL era. Get used to it

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/23/2024 at 10:02 PM, Dave23 said:

Don't sleep on Montana State they beat Idaho 38-7 this year and are currently undefeated. They will have a 4 year starter at QB and one of the best Defenses in the FCS. They just may wine their own national championship this year.

Maybe Oregon will just have to go after the Montana State's QB, just like we did with Vernon Adams and EWU? Win-win!

• Oh no! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/24/2024 at 12:31 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

Unfortunately, several of the disgruntled portal exits are from players who feel they are not being developed properly when, in truth, they haven't given it enough time. A relative minority transfer and flourish, but many do not.

I certainly can't fault players from portaging out if they are not seeing the field after a year or two, and wish them the best (except when they are playing us).

Remember these were the best players on their high school team and amongst the best in their state/nation. They are all super talented/athletic and have been told their whole lives how great they are and that they would be playing on Sundays.  It has to be a shock to their system when they get on campus and are buried on the depth chart. As competitors, they want to play (not just practice/develop).

There are plenty of colleges out there without the rosters of Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, et al and many paths to achieve their long-term aspirations but some players, like Dillon Gabriel just want to play ball.

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/24/2024 at 6:17 AM, OregonDucks said:

Maybe Oregon will just have to go after the Montana State's QB, just like we did with Vernon Adams and EWU? Win-win!

Nah he's good where he's at although it would be intriguing to see him play it at a higher level.