Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Charles Fischer

Utah Debacle Could Make "Cristobal Reconsider his Future in Eugene"

If I were Mario I’d leave for Florida for these reasons;

1) Money, there is no way Oregon will pay 9-10 million a year.  The gators won’t blink an eye at that number

2) Recruiting,  with as good as a recruiter as MARIO is imagine what he could do in Gainesville, top 3 classes would be the norm.

3) COVID rules,  the crowds at Autzen haven’t been as good this year because of these rules and the pac12 pretty much lost a season last year compared to the sec.

4) Booing, I think the booing earlier this year really got to him and made him question his loyalty to the Ducks.

5) Multiple top tier jobs open at once,  Mario can drive up his price!

I hope he stays, but my gut says he’s gone after the civil war.

First things first. Every Duck coach who has left Oregon has failed miserably at their next job (Belotti included). I don’t know why, but these are the facts.

Second, if MC takes the Gator job he’s going to get 3 years to completely turn it around. This means beating Kirby and Saban. He will most likely be gone in 2 years if he posts .500 or below records. He better negotiate a massive buyout.

Third, Miami can’t pay him what he can earn at Oregon and they have terrible football facilities. He also has to deal with getting recruits who can qualify academically. Miami is a lot like Stanford and UCLA in that respect. It’s just not as easy to win there anymore.

I’m not saying he won’t leave but Oregon has a lot of upside if he decides to stay.

On 11/23/2021 at 10:07 AM, Jon Joseph said:

David and I am not in the least being facetious, I can't help but wonder if Mario and the team for that matter could be helped by a top drawer psychologist? Many individuals and teams have gone in this direction and seen improvement. 

Someone from the outside who could perhaps help Mario and the team play on a more even keel? The roller coaster performances are so puzzling. Mario does not seem to be learning on his own when it comes to having the team prepared to play to its ability every week. Perhaps this would help?

This I think would be interesting...

I do think MC and Co. need to take a really deep dive into their game management and pre-game prep.

As a classroom teacher I know some days I have to bring the energy for everyone to keep students engaged. Other days they bring enough themselves to help feed me. The Utah game neither the coaches or the players were bringing the energy or urgency to the game.

This team has a really high floor... but the coaches need to find a way to get them off the floor and playing to their highest levels.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 11/23/2021 at 12:38 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Every Duck coach who has left Oregon has failed miserably at their next job (Belotti included). I don’t know why, but these are the facts.

Rich Brooks brought Kentucky out of a terrible state into at least a competitive state at 8-5 and they revere him there.  (And BTW....I too hate "Fact-Checkers!")  😆

Rich Brooks Kentucky bigbluefans4uk.com.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/23/2021 at 10:35 AM, Haywarduck said:

One would think maybe Mario would be open to this. He can't think he is a psychologist as well as a coach.

I know OSU under Riley had a guy come in as kind of a sports psychologist from Bend. He was part-time, but worked with the team. Many teams have a somebody come in from time to time. Even bringing in 'The Rock' to fire up the team would be a start.

This would be a very shrewd step and needed, in my opinion.

Someday that guy might be Justin Herbert.

On 11/23/2021 at 4:34 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Rich Brooks brought Kentucky out of a terrible state into at least a competitive state at 8-5 and they revere him there.  (And BTW....I too hate "Fact-Checkers!")  😆

Rich Brooks Kentucky bigbluefans4uk.com.jpg

Yes, but his NEXT job after Oregon was the Rams. A job in which he was fired. I call it The Curse of the Duck.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

On 11/23/2021 at 4:19 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Yes, but his NEXT job after Oregon was the Rams. A job in which he was fired. I call it The Curse of the Duck.

Ha-Ha.  The Fact-Checker gets Fact-Checked!  Now you did not distinguish between "next job" and "all jobs," but the debate is not worth any more of our time.  I get the point...

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/23/2021 at 7:44 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Ha-Ha.  The Fact-Checker gets Fact-Checked!  Now you did not distinguish between "next job" and "all jobs," but the debate is not worth any more of our time.  I get the point...

I was well aware that Rich Brooks did well in Lexington. I am also aware that Mike Belotti and Helfrich were pretty good on TV (Helfrich still is). 

On 11/23/2021 at 1:00 PM, Southwest Duck said:

I hope he stays, but my gut says he’s gone after the civil war.

I think he'll stay for the rest of the season.  But once there were rumblings in Miami weeks ago, I posted that my gut said he was going back home, and now that Florida has opened up also, I am afraid he's gone.

• Thumbs Up 1

You never know what might happen, but I don't think Florida is a serious threat. There is probably only one job that will be open this cycle that he would leave for, as long as Oregon is willing to pay Mario competitively. 

On 11/23/2021 at 10:31 PM, WCCIDT said:

You never know what might happen, but I don't think Florida is a serious threat. There is probably only one job that will be open this cycle that he would leave for, as long as Oregon is willing to pay Mario competitively. 

WCCIDT....great to see you join us and I would encourage you to post your thoughts often.  WELCOME!

Mr. FishDuck

I think slicks move to his dream job, FSU, may be the lesson many coaches need to think about when they have a great job, with potential. The grass is always greener, paycheck bigger, but what do you want and is that attainable where you are?

I suppose I have always made lifestyle choices without going after the biggest bucks, but at some point these guys have to think about what is important. We all need to aim high, but if we can reach our goals from where we are, maybe we shouldn't chase after the next shiny thing.

Time will tell if Cristobal is attracted to any of the shiny offers headed his way. I tend to think the sun shines just enough for us to keep Cristobal and the coaches we need to come to greatest little college town around!

• Thumbs Up 1

Setting the MC record straight ...

In these MC discussions, I have seen it mentioned more than once that MC had a losing record as HC before coming to Oregon.

True. However ... the fact is, he ONLY HCed Florida International University, from 2007-2012. That program started in 2002. The team record from 2002-2006 was 5 wins, 41 losses. Then MC took over. In his years, their record was 27-47, including 2010 as conference champ, and they won their first-ever bowl game. 

So someone can accurately say he had a losing record as HC, and it is still a 100% misleading statement. 

Today is another day -Lets hope that the Ducks beat the Beavers, if not we will have ample time to discuss the merits of Coach Cristobal.

They need consistency. We have had rotating OC, and DC for the last 4 years, new systems in, all because of the success at Oregon. You don't hear about that happening elsewhere as much as it does at Oregon it seems. We are getting a lot of one or two and done coordinators. Makes it hard to get consistent, and give the offense and defense time to really learn the system and get good. I think the mistake this year was playing AB. He is a good runner, gives them a shot to win, but his inconsistencies have shown in the losses and the close games with inferior opponents

. I think starting one of the newer QBs would have paid dividends in the future. What worries me, is Cristobol will go after a transfer portal QB, make them the starter again, say his young players are not ready, then we have more players leaving the team.

QB development is an issue, I also think he needs to allow his OC to do their thing, and the DC to do theirs. I love the toughness, the line play, but he needs to let go a bit, let his team develop. I get injuries this year, but that is why they recruited at a high level.