PittDuck

Vengeance Game?

Asked about a possible rematch with the Ducks following Utah’s dominating victory on 11/20, wide receiver Brian Covey was blunt.

”I think that we probably angered them,” he said.  “If we see them in a couple weeks, we know that we’ll be seeing a different team on a different field … A team that wants vengeance.” “We’re going to be prepared when that time comes.”

With the uncertainty surrounding Oregon coaching “opportunities” versus the stability of Utah coaching, will our Ducks be ready to play to their potential?  We will know on Friday!

Go Ducks!

Utah will be ready, but they won't have all the extra factors, besides the altitude, that pumped up their performance in SLC, and Oregon is 4-0 in Championship Games, Utah is 0-2.

PittDuck, you are right on the money..  

Will they be ready? Wish I was confident about that. They should really play physical and nasty.

Friday at 5 can't come soon enough 

• Thumbs Up 1

We do have the mental edge, as I would like to think Oregon will come out with the best effort--even better than against Oregon State?

Troy Franklin_Harry Caston.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

If we don't see a different Ducks team something is very, very wrong. With all the big jobs open did Mario get an offer? No and he won't get an offer from ND and I very much doubt he is going to get an offer from OK?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/30/2021 at 1:20 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I very much doubt he is going to get an offer from OK?

No, I don't think Notre Dame's AD is thinking of Cristobal, and OK.? We don't like what he's doing on offense, so he's going to bring that to OK, following Riley? It's bad enough that they'll be in the SEC, which is why Riley is at SC. 

Do we really know what offers or conversations, if any, Mario and/or his agent has had with other schools? I doubt whether everything that takes place makes it into the media.

On 11/30/2021 at 1:38 PM, jrw said:

I doubt whether everything that takes place makes it into the media.

It didn't even make it to Oklahoma with Riley. 

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 4:26 PM, 30Duck said:

No, I don't think Notre Dame's AD is thinking of Cristobal, and OK.? We don't like what he's doing on offense, so he's going to bring that to OK, following Riley? It's bad enough that they'll be in the SEC, which is why Riley is at SC. 

But I was surprised Mario was not on Florida's radar? Billy Napier has been great in the G5; has not been a HC in the P5. This to me is telling when it comes to teams looking at Mario and whether Mario deserves a raise because of these other hires? With Mario not in the mix for the big time jobs why move him into the $9M club when his big W to date is a Rose Bowl win against a 3L team?

On 11/30/2021 at 1:56 PM, Jon Joseph said:

With Mario not in the mix for the big time jobs why move him into the $9M club when his big W to date is a Rose Bowl win against a 3L team?

For  better or much worse actually, we have only to look at Mel T, who in what, 5 years has coached for two teams, hasn't won anything, but is now in the top 6? of highest paid coaches. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Why would you waste your time on starting over somewhere else when you've got the squad you've assembled the past four years?

I myself salivate over the talent he's got at his disposal.  I envy him, and I'm just a  fan.  And the things I conjure  up in my mind with that talent?

Are you kidding me? 

Only a fool would waste the opportunity to hoist a trophy and finish what Rich Brooks started. 

I tell you what, I'd be glad to take what he's got if he decides to leave (man I lick my chops at the thought of it lol). 

• Thumbs Up 3

Guest KingT

I think the altitude was a major factor and hurt the Ducks D badly. We shall see...

On 11/30/2021 at 2:12 PM, Mike West said:

Are you kidding me? 

Only a fool would waste the opportunity to hoist a trophy and finish what Rich Brooks started. 

I've had that sense about Mario as well. He seems determined to build a championship at Oregon. Putting hours and energy to get it done. Miami would mean starting over again, and that doesn't seem to fit.

I would like the O to be put on the shoulders of T Dye! Give him the rock. "Run the £_(|>ing ball".

On 11/30/2021 at 2:12 PM, Mike West said:

Why would you waste your time on starting over somewhere else when you've got the squad you've assembled the past four years?

$100M will make you do that in a heartbeat.  Just like Brian Kelly.

On 11/30/2021 at 2:28 PM, nw777b said:

nw777b said "I would like the O to be put on the shoulders of T Dye!.."

I agree with this suggestion.  However, be smart in the play calls.  Take advantage of Utah's defensive weaknesses.

Let the various running plays and great blocking we saw against Washington and Oregon State set up the passing game that saw AB complete 23 of 28 passes against OSU!

On 11/30/2021 at 2:33 PM, DuckFan93 said:

OK....that was painfully true.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/30/2021 at 2:33 PM, DuckFan93 said:

I think Brian Kelly recognized ND needs to join a conference and refuses to.  

Give ME 500K.  

I'LL GLADLY BUILD ON THE BRAND AND ORCHESTRATE THE EXPERTS. 

I want a title (and Cristobal has the components in place).

Pay me for the title.  And I'll "slave" for that pursuit.  I know exactly what I'd do too.

Boy...I am arrogant one aren't I lol.

On 11/30/2021 at 2:51 PM, Mike West said:

Boy...I am arrogant one aren't I lol.

We love you anyway!   Besides there might be a few others of us that are "confident."

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

The Ducks need to start fast Friday like they did against Ohio State and Oregon State. They need to make Utah play catch up and make them one dimensional. I don't think that they can play catch up as they don't have much of a vertical passing game. It will be tough if Oregon gets behind again like they did in Utah.

Ducks will definitely beat Utah IF THEY FEEL LIKE IT.

File this in the Who Cares File if you wish, Fox Commentator Joel Klatt has Utah at No. 10 in his Top 10 poll. We will see where the Committee has Utah and Oregon in a few minutes. 

On 11/30/2021 at 4:56 PM, Jon Joseph said:

But I was surprised Mario was not on Florida's radar? Billy Napier has been great in the G5; has not been a HC in the P5. This to me is telling when it comes to teams looking at Mario and whether Mario deserves a raise because of these other hires? With Mario not in the mix for the big time jobs why move him into the $9M club when his big W to date is a Rose Bowl win against a 3L team?

I read SDS and MC was all over UF’s radar. So was Kiffin, Campbell, Mark Stoops and Aranda. I didn’t hear about them getting an off either. Most likely because UF was shut down.

The Gators are a lot like that lady who has been divorced 3 times and claims the reason is because she only attracts terrible men. However, the one common denominator in all her failed marriages is her. Smart men see this and run the other way, but there is always one guy who thinks it will be different with him. Napier is that guy.

On 11/30/2021 at 1:56 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Biggest win was Ohio State, on the road. The Rose Bowl win pales in comparison.

Maybe the "it's hard to beat the same team twice in the same season" idea isn't so hard?

I like it that In his press conference MC mentioned that one of Utah's characteristics is that they play with a "violence".  That is terrific motivation. 

These poor folks' ceiling is dreaming just to get to a Rose Bowl.  Let's keep'em dreaming.

How tough, really, is beating the same team twice in the same season?

https://www.deseret.com/2021/11/30/22807846/utah-utes-oregon-ducks-and-how-tough-beating-same-team-twice-in-the-same-season-pac-12-title-game

I think it is a telling game about character and ability. Do we have the character to rise up and say not again. The coaches also have to show they know how to change the scheme based on the failures last time.

Number one is do the players have the pride in themselves to not let it happen again. Some people wake up and say shouldn't not have happened and won't happen again. We saw that with the tosu game, which was huge. We had never beaten that team, in our history, and the Ducks decided now was the time and they were going to get it done.

The Duck players need to have a moment where they again decide the loss wasn't ok. They are better than that and will put it that amount of effort, from the first whistle, to win.

The coaches also need to show they can step up and adapt to what needs to be done to win. Again the tosu game showed they were up to the task, when challenged. This team has responded well when the challenge is big enough, do they view this as that challenge. In those games we go ahead early, will we again?

Will both groups rise up, that is what the question is. I look at this as a satisfaction game. Are the players and coaches satisfied with the loss, losing to Utah,  and the idea of not winning the Pac-12? We weren't satisfied with losing again to tosu, will we be to Utah?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/1/2021 at 10:04 AM, Haywarduck said:

I think it is a telling game about character and ability. Do we have the character to rise up and say not again. The coaches also have to show they know how to change the scheme based on the failures last time.

Number one is do the players have the pride in themselves to not let it happen again. Some people wake up and say shouldn't not have happened and won't happen again. We saw that with the tosu game, which was huge. We had never beaten that team, in our history, and the Ducks decided now was the time and they were going to get it done.

The Duck players need to have a moment where they again decide the loss wasn't ok. They are better than that and will put it that amount of effort, from the first whistle, to win.

The coaches also need to show they can step up and adapt to what needs to be done to win. Again the tosu game showed they were up to the task, when challenged. This team has responded well when the challenge is big enough, do they view this as that challenge. In those games we go ahead early, will we again?

Will both groups rise up, that is what the question is. I look at this as a satisfaction game. Are the players and coaches satisfied with the loss, losing to Utah,  and the idea of not winning the Pac-12? We weren't satisfied with losing again to tosu, will we be to Utah?

You already have my thumbs up on this excellent take. Quality coaching means having the team ready to play in every game to the level of its ability and not the level of the opponents ability.

IMO, playing down to the level of the competition and being embarrassed like the game at Utah, is Mario's biggest failure as a HC.

I would also say, at this point in the season players should be able to watch tape and analyze the players they will face. They should visualize how they are going to beat them. Know their weaknesses and how to take advantage of these holes in their game.

It seemed Utah did that last time. 

Much like a boxer, you would never go into the ring and not know if they were a lefty. Not knowing their tendencies, would be asking to lose. 

Same thing with our receivers, defenders, and qb. These guys, at this stage of the game, should be talking amongst themselves about how they are going to win the game. AB should be looking for specific matchups, situations he is going to take advantage of based on film analysis. This is the difference between the first game and the second, if they take it to the next level, if they..... want it bad.

This will be the reason players will be celebrating on the field. Not just because they executed a play well. Because they executed a play well knowing how the other team would react. This is the difference we need to see Friday.

• Thumbs Up 2

Didn't we lose to them in 2019 and then beat them in the championship game?

On 12/1/2021 at 9:03 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Didn't we lose to them in 2019 and then beat them in the championship game?

Pretty sure that was the only meeting in 2019

This isnt a vengeance game. To beat Utah cool heads will need to prevail--SMART football will win this

Edited by 1Ducker1
  • Thumbs Up 1