Flyin Vee

A Quote From a Newly Reclassified 2022 5* (Possible Duck?)

Regarding Oregon: “Ever since Coach Lanning went down there, they were not even my Top 12 but I have that type of relationship with Coach Lanning. Him being a down-to-earth cool guy, I think he’ll change the program and it’s somewhere I’d like to be.”

• Thanks 1

Comments from his parents also seem to place Oregon as a strong contender:

Five-Star Prospect Lebbeus Overton, Top-Ranked Football Recruit, Reclassifying to 2022 Class by Tom VanHarren of ESPN

Lebbeus Thomas Overton (@LebbeusO) / Twitter

• Thanks 1

Be still my heart.  Get 'him Danno!

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

Defense could get nasty real fast.

• Thumbs Up 1

It would be absolutely bananas if DL can reel in this kid, holy moly!

• Thumbs Up 1

His desire to study engineering might make it a little tougher for the Ducks.

Good luck.  Looks like a stud on and off the field.

• Thumbs Up 1

Football players don’t major in engineering.  They may intend to, but they don’t.

• Thumbs Up 1

After moving into top 25, watching "get to know" interviews and this, hard to catch my breath. What a GREAT day to be a Duck.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/3/2022 at 9:50 AM, savagefund said:

Justin Herbert studied to become a doctor, and he still can after football. Lebbeus is also interested in business and that road is very strong within the Oregon Athletic Department. Agree the kid would be an asset on and off the field for any program. His parents must be very proud. This would definitely help define Tosh and Tony as Oregon recruiters. It seems like we are already seeing the impact Mr. Lanning is having, LOVE, LOVE IT!

• Thumbs Up 3

Possibly two more five stars in this class? Anything approaching a top ten class this year would be epic.

Way back in December I said we may be way under estimating the impact of the Lanning hire. I have seen nothing so far that changes that expectation.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 2/3/2022 at 9:50 AM, savagefund said:

My thoughts exactly. Luckily it said "business and engineering". Let's hope he is leaning towards business! Either way it is great to see a kid who truly prioritizes education. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I didn't do well at explaining my point about engineering.  

What I meant to emphasize is that Oregon does not offer an engineering major, not that the athlete could not do it.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/3/2022 at 10:03 AM, idontrollonshobbas said:

Hopefully, A&M's ATM has run dry. 

Better chance at scholarship spots for this year have run dry... I don't know their overall numbers but they have boosters that are more than happy to pay right now. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hopefully, someone on the Ducks' coaching staff has Milton for a middle name. Or, maybe Milton as a mother's maiden name. They could possibly drive him through Milton-Freewater during his recruiting visit to Oregon...errrrr, maybe not.

Whatever it takes...legally, of course.

I expect this will come down to Kirby vs Dan? Based on the schools listed I think as a 'senior' in HS, he would have the best shot to start or at least play immediately at Oregon and not have to red shirt. That's the best pitch, I expect, to throw at this young man. I can't imagine he would skip his senior year of HS without planning to go pro after 3 years in college? As to premier engineering schools, I do not believe there is one on his list? And I don't think he will matriculate at Georgia Tech.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/3/2022 at 11:54 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Based on the schools listed I think as a 'senior' in HS, he would have the best shot to start or at least play immediately at Oregon and not have to red shirt. That's the best pitch,

That would be the best pitch because Oregon has a more pressing need for his services. Also at a year younger he is not going to be as physically developed as those a year or two years older than him. 

Guest Axel

Overton has narrowed down his list to five schools, from east to west: Georgia, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and Oregon. It's noteworthy that Oregon is the only West Coast school in the mix. I don't see USC on that list, and I don't see Washington or Utah on that list either. Oregon is a true national brand and clearly one of the "hot" destinations for coaches and athletes alike, as evidenced by Coach Lanning, his highly talented staff, and the elite recruits who are flocking to Eugene.

From what I've seen so far, Lanning has the potential to be a great coach. I would not trade Lanning and his staff for Lincoln Riley and his staff, or any other Pac-12 coaching staff. I don't expect the Ducks to win every game this season, but I do anticipate the return of games in which the Ducks totally dominate opponents, at home and on the road. The Ducks will be a force to be reckoned with; let the Trojans do their thing. Mighty Oregon will be more than ready for them. 

On 2/3/2022 at 3:28 PM, David Marsh said:

That would be the best pitch because Oregon has a more pressing need for his services. Also at a year younger he is not going to be as physically developed as those a year or two years older than him. 

This is why A+M that just signed 4 4/5* DL guys IMO makes no sense as a landing spot? All the other schools on the list have older, more experienced, highly rated DL guys already waiting in line to play.

But it's tough to beat out the home state SEC school for any recruit. Great job flipping James, but James is from Tennessee. 

On 2/3/2022 at 12:31 PM, Axel said:

but I do anticipate the return of games in which the Ducks totally dominate opponents, at home and on the road.

I know most people say that a close game is an exciting game but I'm in agreement with you ... There is nothing exciting about watching your team struggle to win by one score against an opponent with a losing record. 

My heart will be much healthier with solid dominating wins.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/3/2022 at 11:54 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I expect this will come down to Kirby vs Dan?

Based off the tweet, Lanning and Oregon have some momentum. It has to last till April, but it's a great start. 

On 2/3/2022 at 12:42 PM, David Marsh said:

I know most people say that a close game is an exciting game

They can be. But yes, watching a game where your team is dominating defensively is exciting to think about. Oregon changed the plan offensively before. It will be great to see the Ducks breaking new ground on the defensive side this time.

• Thumbs Up 1

And I thought I had until September before I was competing with my new Oregon friends, lol.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/5/2022 at 5:58 PM, amcdawg said:

And I thought I had until September before I was competing with my new Oregon friends, lol.

Lanning is going to put Oregon in competition the the big boys of the SEC. 3 years and Ducks are in championship game. If Georgia can get there, Dogs might have a shot at revenge for the loss they are taking next Sept 😁

• Like 1

😀. You may be right Log Haulin!

On 2/6/2022 at 12:47 AM, amcdawg said:

😀. You may be right Log Haulin!

But for a Pac-12 team to make it, it has to go at least 12-1 (duh) and Oregon has to win at TX TECH in 2023, which is far more likely than winning 'at' Georgia in 2022. I think the QB question for 2022 and into 2023 will be a very interesting one for the Ducks to answer this season and next. I think I am higher on Nix than many of this forum but he is a one and done guy in Eugene.

I've seen us listed as the only school out West with so many top players back East this last several years, but when push comes to shove they go to one of the other schools.

I believe in DL and his staff but I believe we are in a no win situation with most of the top players back East. I sure hope I'm wrong but I won't believe it until I see it.

On 2/5/2022 at 10:30 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I think I am higher on Nix than many of this forum but he is a one and done guy in Eugene.

With the covid year doesn't Nix actually have two remaining if he decides to use them?

sounds like an NIL bidding war.  Does Oregon's "support group" have the dinero?

On 2/6/2022 at 9:27 AM, McDuck said:

With the covid year doesn't Nix actually have two remaining if he decides to use them?

THIS! Thank you for the correction.