30Duck

Yes, Another Article About How Great USC Will be Next Season

You'd think even they would run dry on this after a while. One sentence from this article shows a bit of sense:

If games are won in the offseason, then Southern Cal is positioning itself for a big debut season under Lincoln Riley. 

12d356b38d1f4c3b89ddbf953ce569c9.jpg?wid
WWW.THEADVERTISER.COM

An old force is rising in the West, one made for the bright lights and ready to revel in the fruits of NIL deals.

• Thanks 1

I have to admit that the “ingredients” that he lists are true, and are very impressive.

But I get back to what I have been stating many times, and that is the more they are hyped, the bigger the victory when we beat them!

There is no dishonor in losing to a great team, and there is extreme pride and deserved laurels when you beat a great team.

That is my spin, and I am sticking to it!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

They might as well lay claim to the Lombardi Trophy as well. Makes about as much sense.

Proving it on game day every Saturday may be a little more difficult than anointing yourselves champions before a game has been played. 

• Applause 1

On 5/4/2022 at 12:57 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I have to admit that the “ingredients” that he lists are true, and are very impressive.

But I get back to what I have been stating many times, and that is the more they are hyped, the bigger the victory when we beat them!

There is no dishonor in losing to a great team, and there is extreme pride and deserved laurels when you beat a great team.

That is my spin, and I am sticking to it!

Not sure you will have to worry about playing them until 2023.  🙂

• Cool 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/4/2022 at 3:11 PM, Drake said:

They might as well lay claim to the Lombardi Trophy as well. Makes about as much sense.

Proving it on game day every Saturday may be a little more difficult than anointing yourselves champions before a game has been played. 

Great take. But in the Pac-12 on most game days SC will have the superior talent. Riley is likely being over-hyped but regardless, he is a far, far better coach than the clueless Clay Helton.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/4/2022 at 12:14 PM, savagefund said:

Not sure you will have to worry about playing them until 2023.

We will next year if they win the South.

• Let’s hope! 1

On 5/4/2022 at 11:31 AM, 30Duck said:

If games are won in the offseason

Traveler will be dead by the start of the season with all those SoCal beggers on his back.

• Haha 1

On 5/4/2022 at 1:46 PM, Steven A said:

We will next year if they win the South.

Very true but my unmitigated bias tells me they will have to wait.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nothing new to see here.  More overhype by SC fans and media.  Happens every year about this time.  SC should be quite a bit better than last year but College Football National Champions!?!?  HAHAHAHAHA.   Just stop!

• Applause 1

On 5/4/2022 at 12:16 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Riley is likely being over-hyped but regardless, he is a far, far better coach than the clueless Clay Helton.

I didn't mind Carroll's USC teams, or Wooden's UCLA teams, Marques Johnson was a class act and Walton loved playing in Mac Court. Different time now, but Riley's mansion, Cowherd's gushing, this article and all the others like it is , I guess Riley should act like je's been there before, except he hasn't been there before. 

• Mic drop 1

On 5/4/2022 at 4:14 PM, 30Duck said:

except he hasn't been there before. 

No comprende? Except for last season he won all the B12 titles when HC at OK and took OK to 3 PO games. % wise he left OK with better W/L record than Bob Stoops.

Strange circumstances indeed but 'his team' did pound Oregon in the Alamo Bowl.

He has 'been there' as an HC far more than has Dan Lanning.

On 5/4/2022 at 1:30 PM, Jon Joseph said:

No comprende? Except for last season he won all the B12 titles when HC at OK and took OK to 3 PO games. % wise he left OK with better W/L record than Bob Stoops.

For all of that, Riley has yet to play for the Natty once. Mark Helfrich played for a Natty once.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/4/2022 at 12:53 PM, savagefund said:

Very true but my unmitigated bias tells me they will have to wait.

Amen, Ute-Brother. I am torn, as I don't want to play you twice next year, but would love to see you take the south.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/4/2022 at 11:31 AM, 30Duck said:

If games are won in the offseason, then Southern Cal is positioning itself for a big debut season under Lincoln Riley. 

Hmmm.... 

If that were the case then we should have won bigger under Mario Cristobal. 

Cristobal-v-Stony-Brook-2021-Craig-Strob
FISHDUCK.COM

Mario Cristobal will be Oregon's head coach in 2022. The only way this doesn't happen is if he opts to leave...

But... We didn't win big last season. 

The off-season really is a whole life t busier than it was even 10 years ago with constant news of recruiting and now the transfer portal and NIL. 

Though I would like to play some games before we just give USC the pac-12 championship trophy. 

I think USC is going to be a good team but we have to wait and see how good. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Riley missed his chance prove how good a coach he is by losing to both Baylor & OSU last year.. He's what 1 & 2 in bowl games?

Edited by Duckhart
  • Thumbs Up 1

All this guessing drives me nuts. Let's stick to the facts. Lincoln Riley has lost 10 games as a head coach, our coach is undefeated. Yes, I said it, he has never lost as a head coach. I'll take the undefeated guy every time!  

Our coach also beat Riley head to head for the top recruit Conerly. Until the facts start adding up for Riley, sc is just  who they have always been, a place where head coaches, most of the time, go to die.

Oregon is and always has been the place where coaches thrive, and our guy is doing just that.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I gotta stop clicking on these "SC is the greatest in the entire history of greatest" articles. See ya in 23' trojan man. Until then Ducks gotta play the Utes a couple times next year.

But wait, I thought the fuskys win all the off seasons. What are they going to do if usc wins the off season? They'll have nothing left to brag about... LOL!!

Go Ducks!!

• Oh no! 1
  • Mic drop 1

Good Grief.

The USC spin is tired and predictable, same as Notre Dame and Texas. Yes, LR is pulling in recruits, but he was going to. He still has an uphill battle against Oregon. While I think Oregon hasn't shown much - and they won't ahead of the Georgia opener - my prediction is that the great gnashing of teeth in LA LA Land during the 2022 season will grind teeth flat. The "experts" always gravitate toward the $$$s...did I mention Texas and ND? I'm not one to drink the Kool-Aid, but I do think that Lanning has put together a pretty good staff and he's arguably done more - and better - than what MC was left with.

We're going to learn a lot about our Ducks in September. USC will also, but I don't know that knowledge will save them.

• Applause 1

USC will be improved no doubt (how could anyone not be a better coach than Helton)........but over the years the preseason folks have tended to rate USC significantly better than their results. 

Wait and see.....

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/4/2022 at 1:37 PM, 30Duck said:

For all of that, Riley has yet to play for the Natty once. Mark Helfrich played for a Natty once.

So did Gene Chizek, no?

On 5/5/2022 at 9:11 AM, Jon Joseph said:

So did Gene Chizik, no?

Exactly. Chizik, Helfrich have both coached in a National Championship game, and Chizik won, (officially) but neither are accorded the acclaim being showered on Riley. OK was a placeholder in the CFP, now Riley has a mansion with a lot of bathrooms, and USC is apparently starting a dynasty next season. 

When talking about championships it starts with the OL and DL. You maybe able to in the lesser leagues but not the natty. Also will these pay for pay people be able to really dedicate themselves to the hard work needed to excel with all that money and the distraction of la la land.

Funny that the other day I clicked on a pre season top 25 rankings article. USC wasn't even in the top 25. Looks like they have a lot of ground to make up to get anywhere near the top 10.

• Thumbs Up 1