Pennsylvania Duck

Does B1G Have A Viable Strategy For UCLA And USC. . . Or Not?

Was the calculus of integrating a sustainable conference experience for UCLA and USC not fully formed by the B1G?

Or did the B1G truly realize, only after the fact, that for UCLA and USC to compete, traveling cross country was obligatory- save an annual crosstown match? Did they realize optics of player strain would make it hard to separate financial ramifications from athletic and scholastic ramifications?

If the remaining Pac-12 universities benefit from a stellar media deal, and if San Diego State and Southern Methodist University end up adding strong value to the Pac-12, the L.A. darlings could find themselves out on a limb.

If the remaining marquee universities benefited from staying put and maintaining a modest travel schedule, the B1G could find itself without a Western division, and the rigors for the L.A. darlings could be palpable.

MWWIRE.COM

Does B1G Have A Viable Strategy For UCLA And USC. . . Or Not? What does it mean for the B1G if a second raid on the Pac-12...

• Thumbs Up 2

Thoughtful article in my humble opinion. Other than whoring for dollars, the attraction of the SoCal schools heading to the B1G has always mystified me., Travel issues and its impacts on athletes was the very first thing I thought of. There was also the revulsion of conference betrayal felt by this fan who grew up in California and was a dyed in the wool PAC 8,10,12 guy who unfailingly backed the conference in its intersectional contests. Even after living in the South for 42 years and becoming a Bulldawg guy over the years, I still have a deep fondness for the Westernmost conference.

I am going to sound a bit petty here, but I believe marketing concerns was the reason invitations were extended to the SoCal schools, and as the above article suggests, there was no well-articulated plans for the conference's newest members beyond that. The pettiness comes from my hope that the SoCal schools fall on their face. But then again, I have long been a proponent of the view that the B1G is the most overrated conference in America. Thus, the Socal schools may end up faring well there.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

I know that I would enjoy watching this move backfire on the LA schools.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

No plan by George and no plan by the Big for the LA schools. I suppose it all comes down to how those plans come together. I would say neither is looking too good, but it ain't over.

Sadly both plans come down money. There is little in these plans to help the student athletes, or the athletes experience, especially with the Big and the LA schools little short sighted move.

Hopefully George can put together something with a little more thought to it. Lord knows he has had enough time too.

On 3/5/2023 at 1:33 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

Thoughtful article in my humble opinion. Other than whoring for dollars, the attraction of the SoCal schools heading to the B1G has always mystified me., Travel issues and its impacts on athletes was the very first thing I thought of. There was also the revulsion of conference betrayal felt by this fan who grew up in California and was a dyed in the wool PAC 8,10,12 guy who unfailingly backed the conference in its intersectional contests. Even after living in the South for 42 years and becoming a Bulldawg guy over the years, I still have a deep fondness for the Westernmost conference.

I am going to sound a bit petty here, but I believe marketing concerns was the reason invitations were extended to the SoCal schools, and as the above article suggests, there was no well-articulated plans for the conference's newest members beyond that. The pettiness comes from my hope that the SoCal schools fall on their face. But then again, I have long been a proponent of the view that the B1G is the most overrated conference in America. Thus, the Socal schools may end up faring well there.

Terrific take. My POV is that FOX was ticked off when ESPN engineered the move of OK/TX to the SEC. FOX countered by engineering the move of SC/UCLA to the B1G and thereby locking ESPN out of the LA market. FOX owns the B1G. ESPN owns the SEC. Both of these entities particularly ESPN are media money tapped out.

B1G overrated? I agree with you ND, the B1G is overrated in both CFB and CBB. The B1G just signed a huge media deal based more on location and huge number of alumni/alumnae from B1G schools than on on-field and on-court performance. 

UCLA that just extended Chip through 2027, has been an after-thought in football since the days of Terry Donahue. I see UCLA being equivalent to Iowa in the B1G. Good but not good enough to move the needle nationally. USC? Defense travels. There is no D in USC. I think SC is going to find it difficult to overtake Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State. I think SC has signed up for a much more difficult path to the expanded CFB playoff. 

At the close of the 2022 regular season, 6 Pac-12 schools were ranked in the top 25 by the Playoff Committee and only 3 B1G schools. 2 of the B1G schools made the final 4 and both lost. Penn State did win the Rose Bowl, one of the least-watched Rose Bowls in the modern era. The B1G is a top heavy football conference. Michigan played 8 home games in 2022 and will do so again in 2023. Michigan played 3 cupcakes OOC in 2022 and will do so again in 2023. Hopefully when the playoff expands to 12 teams in 2024 strength of schedule and not just losing more than 1 game will matter. 

The CBB Tournament is rapidly approaching and I expect many overrated B1G teams to again flame out early and often.  

• Applause 1

USC and UCLA should have never joined the Big Ten without bringing Oregon, Washington, Arizona and Stanford along. 

Its going to be a mess. 

Interesting article. I believe the BIG 10 knows better than anyone else that they cannot leave USC and UCLA on an island out west long term. If Kevin Warren had his way the Ducks and that school up North would already be in. My opinion is it's just a matter of time. Maybe a short term PAC deal delays things till the next round of TV contracts but even that is iffy to me at this point.

I keep reading people saying the LA schools are sell outs, traitors, only looking at the money, etc. I'll admit when this first happened I kind of felt the same way. But let's be honest. If the BIG 10 came calling for the Ducks and well, I'm not going to say the Fuskies because screw them. Let's say it's Oregon and OSU and promised 70 to 75 mil a year. We would all be saying you can't turn that down.

I can care lees about what happens to the other 9 schools. If that makes me a traitor so be it. Oregon needs to look out for Oregon. At some point the BIG 10 will need to address this issue and Ducks need to position themselves to be ready. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/5/2023 at 2:13 PM, fred flintstone said:

USC and UCLA should have never joined the Big Ten without bringing Oregon, Washington, Arizona and Stanford along. 

Its going to be a mess. 

Good take, thanks. I would add CAL especially because of its 'relationship' with UCLA and also ASU if the B1G was OK with the academics.

The four schools you mentioned are all AAU member schools. The only B1G school that is not an AAU member is Nebraska. However, Nebraska was an AAU member when it joined the B1G.

Today, I don't know if the media money is out there to add more schools to the B1G, at least not at the full share both SC and UCLA are being paid.

I do not see anything further happening realignment-wise before the Pac-10 media deal numbers are revealed.

On 3/5/2023 at 2:31 PM, 12Duck72 said:

Interesting article. I believe the BIG 10 knows better than anyone else that they cannot leave USC and UCLA on an island out west long term. If Kevin Warren had his way the Ducks and that school up North would already be in. My opinion is it's just a matter of time. Maybe a short term PAC deal delays things till the next round of TV contracts but even that is iffy to me at this point.

I keep reading people saying the LA schools are sell outs, traitors, only looking at the money, etc. I'll admit when this first happened I kind of felt the same way. But let's be honest. If the BIG 10 came calling for the Ducks and well, I'm not going to say the Fuskies because screw them. Let's say it's Oregon and OSU and promised 70 to 75 mil a year. We would all be saying you can't turn that down.

I can care lees about what happens to the other 9 schools. If that makes me a traitor so be it. Oregon needs to look out for Oregon. At some point the BIG 10 will need to address this issue and Ducks need to position themselves to be ready. 

FOX 'owns' the B1G. No teams will be added to the B1G without the consent of FOX and media money being available at least within shouting distance of SC/UCLA. 

I doubt that anything realignment-wise will happen before the Pac-10 new media deal is revealed. Part of the delay may well be due to Oregon and UW bargaining for a no-cost exit if invited to join the B1G. For certain, OR ST and WA ST will not receive a B1G invitation. Academically, ASU is likely also out of the mix. 

On 3/5/2023 at 11:37 AM, Jon Joseph said:

FOX 'owns' the B1G. No teams will be added to the B1G without the consent of FOX and media money being available at least within shouting distance of SC/UCLA. 

I doubt that anything realignment-wise will happen before the Pac-10 new media deal is revealed. Part of the delay may well be due to Oregon and UW bargaining for a no-cost exit if invited to join the B1G. For certain, OR ST and WA ST will not receive a B1G invitation. Academically, ASU is likely also out of the mix. 

You're probably right about that Jon. It's going to be interesting to see the spin from folks when/if some official numbers get released. If the deal is bad or below what the narrative is look out dominoes could fall quickly. There will be a few teams out west who are going to be left without a chair if that happens. Time will tell.

WWW.OUTKICK.COM

The Big Ten might invite Oregon and Washington for a reduced revenue share, according to Colin Cowherd. Will the PAC-12 survive?

I didn't see this article posted anywhere, so hope I'm not repeating a post

On 3/4/2023 at 10:33 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

he B1G is the most overrated conference in America. Thus, the Socal schools may end up faring well there.

I agree. I look forward to the Ducks joining the B1G. It's the only way we can become a Blue Blood in the future. 

On 3/5/2023 at 11:13 AM, fred flintstone said:

Arizona

Fivethirtyeight.com did an in-depth article on the most likely teams to go to the B1G (this was after USC and UCLA left). Notre Dame was the only school in the slam dunk "no-brainer" tier 1 category.

Oregon was ranked as the third best fit/most likely to go, and in was in Tier 2 along with UNC, FSU, and UW.

Tier 3 was Clemson, Utah, Miami, Stanford, and Cal. 

Tier 4 rankings had a ton of teams, and Arizona was about half way down. The article said:

"For the most part, the universities in this tier fall into the “good fit, mediocre sports and market” category. Virginia, Missouri, Pitt, Colorado, Arizona, Georgia Tech and Kansas all meet this description, for instance."

Keep in mind that this was before Deion Sanders went to CU.

The B1G is not going to take Arizona because it has a good basketball program. Also, it would make a ton more sense for Arizona to go to the BIG-12, and the kicker is that the BIG-12 is better at basketball than the B1G right now.

FIVETHIRTYEIGHT.COM

Which schools should the Big Ten poach next?

Edited by 2002duck

Confused Kevin James GIF by TV Land

• Thumbs Up 1

Big Ten looking to give USC, UCLA prime permanent opponents

USC and UCLA will move to the Big Ten ahead of the 2024 season, and it sounds like they will have an opportunity to establish some new high-profile rivalries right from the jump.

Though USC and UCLA will be new to the conference, an athletic director from a Big Ten school told Matt Hayes of Saturday Tradition that one proposed model for scheduling includes UCLA playing Ohio State as a permanent opponent and USC facing Michigan every year.

That would allow media partners Fox, CBS and NBC to be assured of two more games each season that will draw massive ratings.

LARRYBROWNSPORTS.COM

USC and UCLA will move to the Big Ten ahead of the 2024 season, and it sounds like they will have an opportunity to establish some...

On 3/5/2023 at 4:54 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Big Ten looking to give USC, UCLA prime permanent opponents

USC and UCLA will move to the Big Ten ahead of the 2024 season, and it sounds like they will have an opportunity to establish some new high-profile rivalries right from the jump.

Though USC and UCLA will be new to the conference, an athletic director from a Big Ten school told Matt Hayes of Saturday Tradition that one proposed model for scheduling includes UCLA playing Ohio State as a permanent opponent and USC facing Michigan every year.

That would allow media partners Fox, CBS and NBC to be assured of two more games each season that will draw massive ratings.

LARRYBROWNSPORTS.COM

USC and UCLA will move to the Big Ten ahead of the 2024 season, and it sounds like they will have an opportunity to establish some...

Makes sense. FOX needs a return on its LA theft, er, investment.

On 3/5/2023 at 11:01 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Terrific take. My POV is that FOX was ticked off when ESPN engineered the move of OK/TX to the SEC. FOX countered by engineering the move of SC/UCLA to the B1G and thereby locking ESPN out of the LA market. FOX owns the B1G. ESPN owns the SEC. Both of these entities particularly ESPN are media money tapped out.

B1G overrated? I agree with you ND, the B1G is overrated in both CFB and CBB. The B1G just signed a huge media deal based more on location and huge number of alumni/alumnae from B1G schools than on on-field and on-court performance. 

UCLA that just extended Chip through 2027, has been an after-thought in football since the days of Terry Donahue. I see UCLA being equivalent to Iowa in the B1G. Good but not good enough to move the needle nationally. USC? Defense travels. There is no D in USC. I think SC is going to find it difficult to overtake Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State. I think SC has signed up for a much more difficult path to the expanded CFB playoff. 

At the close of the 2022 regular season, 6 Pac-12 schools were ranked in the top 25 by the Playoff Committee and only 3 B1G schools. 2 of the B1G schools made the final 4 and both lost. Penn State did win the Rose Bowl, one of the least-watched Rose Bowls in the modern era. The B1G is a top heavy football conference. Michigan played 8 home games in 2022 and will do so again in 2023. Michigan played 3 cupcakes OOC in 2022 and will do so again in 2023. Hopefully when the playoff expands to 12 teams in 2024 strength of schedule and not just losing more than 1 game will matter. 

The CBB Tournament is rapidly approaching and I expect many overrated B1G teams to again flame out early and often.  

B1G basketball seems to crap out in the Big Dance just about every year these days. And do you know how long it has been since the B1G actually won an NCAA tournament in men's  basketball? Look it up, you'll be shocked.

• Wow 1

I keep wondering whether the B1G acquisition of USC/UCLA, and those schools making the transition, will be like the guy who is blinded by the beauty of the new Porsche in the dealership window, so he buys it...and then driving home, thinks, "Oh, crud - how am I going to afford the monthly payments, insurance, maintenance?  Yeah, this is really fun to drive - but what the heck have I done?"

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/6/2023 at 1:22 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

B1G basketball seems to crap out in the Big Dance just about every year these days. And do you know how long it has been since the B1G actually won an NCAA tournament in men's  basketball? Look it up, you'll be shocked.

Wow! Michigan State defeated Florida for the B1G's last basketball tourney championship in 2000!

Considering the number of teams the B1G places in the field year after this is not good.

That was a great article.  Thank you for posting. 

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I don't think the BIG invite will come for any of the remaining PAC-10 schools.  I believe that Warren wanted to get to 20 teams, but the BIG school presidents saw an opportunity and they are not stupid.  Getting the LA market and big pay days for their existing member schools was a no brainer for everyone (Warren, Presidents, FOX, etc).  The BIG presidents know that adding those two teams without additional west coast travel partners is a HUGE benefit for all of the existing BIG member schools.  What is their incentive to vote to add more west coast schools at this point?       

The more difficult you make the transition for USC and UCLA, the bigger benefit there is for each of the existing member schools.  Take a look at the winning percentage of NFL teams on the west coast that travel to play east coast games.  There is a clear disadvantage that has been documented for years.  Now add in the fact that these are college kids (not professionals) with classes and the fact that the LA schools don't have a west coast conference like NFL teams do.  Yikes!    

If Oregon was able to go into LA and dominate recruiting for the past 12 years, think about what tOSU, Michigan and Penn State are going to be able to do there.  Now imagine that the transition is tough due increased travel on top of a a whole host of other issues.  Teams like Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan State are going to be licking their chops.  The existing BIG member schools want this transition to be as difficult as possible!  

Someone posted an article about yearly partnerships with UCLA, tOSU, Michigan, and USC. It makes perfect sense.  Michigan and tOSU want to play in LA every other year so they can raid the LA recruiting grounds.

The funny thing is that USC and UCLA got used and they don't even know it yet.  What a terrible decision to make that jump without insisting on some west coast partners. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/5/2023 at 3:38 PM, 2002duck said:

Fivethirtyeight.com did an in-depth article on the most likely teams to go to the B1G (this was after USC and UCLA left). Notre Dame was the only school in the slam dunk "no-brainer" tier 1 category.

Oregon was ranked as the third best fit/most likely to go, and in was in Tier 2 along with UNC, FSU, and UW.

Tier 3 was Clemson, Utah, Miami, Stanford, and Cal. 

Tier 4 rankings had a ton of teams, and Arizona was about half way down. The article said:

"For the most part, the universities in this tier fall into the “good fit, mediocre sports and market” category. Virginia, Missouri, Pitt, Colorado, Arizona, Georgia Tech and Kansas all meet this description, for instance."

Keep in mind that this was before Deion Sanders went to CU.

The B1G is not going to take Arizona because it has a good basketball program. Also, it would make a ton more sense for Arizona to go to the BIG-12, and the kicker is that the BIG-12 is better at basketball than the B1G right now.

FIVETHIRTYEIGHT.COM

Which schools should the Big Ten poach next?

Thanks for this post. I doubt that schools like Clemson and FSU would make the B1G cut based on their respective academics. These two schools are AAU member institutions. 

The ACC has only 5 AAU member schools: Georgia Tech, UNC, Duke, UVA, and Pitt.

I think Clemson and FSU would be a better fit in the SEC where they play every season. Clemson vs South Carolina and FSU vs Florida.  

When the B1G next expands will it look east, as noted Notre Dame would be a no-brainer, or west. How much will FOX pay each new team? I expect Notre Dame would get a full B1G share perhaps funded by NBC. NBC is now a 'junior member' along with CBS in the B1G media deal. 

I would not expect Oregon to receive an invitation from the B1G before a new B1G commissioner is hired and the Pac-10 finalizes the number of the next media deal.

To answer the question…Does B1G Have A Viable Strategy For UCLA And USC. . . Or Not?

The one thing I know is that the B1G is calculated in everything it does.  They have a strategy. The only question is who else (if anyone) is a part of that strategy. 

On 3/6/2023 at 12:34 PM, Rufus said:

To answer the question…Does B1G Have A Viable Strategy For UCLA And USC. . . Or Not?

The one thing I know is that the B1G is calculated in everything it does.  They have a strategy. The only question is who else (if anyone) is a part of that strategy. 

Great take. I do not disagree but much of the B1G's strategy, including the success of the B1G Network is orchestrated by 'our friends' at FOX. Go to your room, Joel Klatt. A Pac-12 player at and graduate from CU. Now playing for 'the enemy.'

Without FOX's input, USC and UCLA do not head east. Hades has no fury like a network scorned by ESPN's OK/TX theft from the B12.

• Haha 1

On 3/6/2023 at 11:55 AM, GeotechDuck said:

That was a great article.  Thank you for posting. 

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I don't think the BIG invite will come for any of the remaining PAC-10 schools.  I believe that Warren wanted to get to 20 teams, but the BIG school presidents saw an opportunity and they are not stupid.  Getting the LA market and big pay days for their existing member schools was a no brainer for everyone (Warren, Presidents, FOX, etc).  The BIG presidents know that adding those two teams without additional west coast travel partners is a HUGE benefit for all of the existing BIG member schools.  What is their incentive to vote to add more west coast schools at this point?       

The more difficult you make the transition for USC and UCLA, the bigger benefit there is for each of the existing member schools.  Take a look at the winning percentage of NFL teams on the west coast that travel to play east coast games.  There is a clear disadvantage that has been documented for years.  Now add in the fact that these are college kids (not professionals) with classes and the fact that the LA schools don't have a west coast conference like NFL teams do.  Yikes!    

If Oregon was able to go into LA and dominate recruiting for the past 12 years, think about what tOSU, Michigan and Penn State are going to be able to do there.  Now imagine that the transition is tough due increased travel on top of a a whole host of other issues.  Teams like Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan State are going to be licking their chops.  The existing BIG member schools want this transition to be as difficult as possible!  

Someone posted an article about yearly partnerships with UCLA, tOSU, Michigan, and USC. It makes perfect sense.  Michigan and tOSU want to play in LA every other year so they can raid the LA recruiting grounds.

The funny thing is that USC and UCLA got used and they don't even know it yet.  What a terrible decision to make that jump without insisting on some west coast partners. 

Used by FOX to keep ESPN out of FOX's backyard, the LA market.

I don't think football travel will be all that bad going on the road 4 to 5 times a year, perhaps 6 when SC travels to South Bend but for basketball and the non-revenue sports? Brutal.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/6/2023 at 9:46 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I don't think football travel will be all that bad going on the road 4 to 5 times a year, perhaps 6 when SC travels to South Bend but for basketball and the non-revenue sports? Brutal.

Yes, it's a killer for non-revenue sports. 😢

• Thumbs Up 2

As was stated earlier look at the results of pro West Coast teams playing back East. It's terrible. The travel will be a bad thing for the la schools in FB. I promise you!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/6/2023 at 2:48 PM, Duck 1972 said:

As was stated earlier look at the results of pro West Coast teams playing back East. It's terrible. The travel will be a bad thing for the la schools in FB. I promise you!

I do not disagree at all with you my friend but at least the football travel will be somewhat limited compared to all other sports.

Traveling to the eastern time zone to play Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and possibly Michigan State will be a witch. Not so much Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, and Purdon't. 

The Boilermakers won the west last season and were then mugged in the B1G champ game by Michigan. And in the bowl game, LSU hung 60+ on these boys. The B1G is top-heavy and overrated in football.

What's to prevent ESPN to try and broker a deal with Pac & Big12 with SDS & Fresno State.Two division's.

This could be the advent of the third super power.

The acc will eventual merge with both SEC & Big10.

On 3/6/2023 at 9:46 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Used by FOX to keep ESPN out of FOX's backyard, the LA market.

Football is tough enough as it is. Just look at USC's record when playing at Notre Dame in the eastern time zone.  They have not won in South Bend in the past 12 years.  Their last win in South Bend was in 2011. 

To your point, it is going to even more difficult for basketball and some Olympic sports may not even be sustainable.  It was a HUGE mistake for UCLA and USC not to insist on having at least 4 teams to create a west coast pod and now they have lost all their leverage.

Getting my popcorn ready.    

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/6/2023 at 3:28 PM, GeotechDuck said:

Football is tough enough as it is. Just look at USC's record when playing at Notre Dame in the eastern time zone.  They have not won in South Bend in the past 12 years.  Their last win in South Bend was in 2011. 

Just checked the historical record for ND/U$C through 2021.  92 games, two at neutral site.  Notre Dame has won 2/3rds of the games played in South Bend (28-14) but has a losing record (20-23) when they visit LA.  Five ties over the years, four of them in LA.

Its interesting to me that Oregon has done well whem traveling east. I may not have this correct so it may not be accurate.

Please add to or correct for those in the know:

OBD's traveled to Ann Arbour and beat Michigan.

Traveled to Tennessee and took the Vols to the woodshed.

Traveled to East Lansing and lost in a good game with the Spartans.

Traveled to Columbus and embarrassed tOSU Bucleyes.

That last victory over tOSU coupled with our dominamce over the Trojans may keep Orrgon from getting am invite to thr BIG.

The Ducks have traveled well the last 2 decades.

With the expanded playoffs, as long as the PAC holds P5 status, I expect our Ducks to make the CFP 3 out of every 5 years. 

The road to a Natty will be far less complicated for our Ducks than the road ahead for UT, OU, ucla and those who are trojanless.

Go Ducks. A natty will generate millions and change the PAC's perception.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/6/2023 at 8:12 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Its interesting to me that Oregon has done well whem traveling east. I may not have this correct so it may not be accurate.

That last victory over tOSU coupled with our dominamce over the Trojans may keep Orrgon from getting am invite to thr BIG.

With the expanded playoffs, as long as the PAC holds P5 status, I expect our Ducks to make the CFP 3 out of every 5 years. 

The road to a Natty will be far less complicated for our Ducks than the road ahead for UT, OU, ucla and those who are trojanless.

And if Utah had last season been in a 12-team playoff it would have had a 1st round bye. Maybe staying at 10 would be the right move?

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/6/2023 at 8:07 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

I'm not really going to put down our performances, but there is a bit of getting teams at the right time in those games.  Michigan that year was not a good team who had already lost to App St.  Tennessee was way way down and had Dooley (right?) at the time.  Ohio St. had a DC who couldn't make an adjustment to save his life.  We've gotten a little lucky, but we do tend to travel well to the Big10. 

We've never gotten trounced on the road against the Big10. 

I think we would do fine in our games if we went to the Big10, at least better than the LA schools.  I think teams would absolutely dread coming here to play us at home, I know that would be a fact as opposed to going to LA.

JJ, based upon the metrics that FOX and ESPN have touted about pay outs being tied to TV sets, then SMU and SDSU should bring in more than enough additional revenue to earn $30 plus million per season. Enough to justify nembership.

But i dont believe either network. They used leverage to gain an advantage for themselves with UT, OU, ucla and usc. They didnt care about the carnage that was left behind. They didnt care about the non revenue student athlete and or the well being of any athlete.

They only cared about their bottom line. The schools and the networks did what was best for themselves. Now we can say that it is just business. Fair enough.....

Our family business employs and helps sustain 14 families and their lively hood. Another competive company wanted to create a strategic partnership that would on board 5 more families. All 19 families would be impacted financially and emotionally. Just business, right?

However, our companies mission statement was grounded with a moral compass as a foundation.  As well as our competitor.

From the beginning, neither company would make a move if it cost one job. How could we enhance corporate growth, increase profits without cutting duplicate positions? Well after 5 months of talking together, listening to each others needs and laying out a plan, we accomplished it. People working together can achieve when working for the betterment of others.

Each forum member can and will derive what they want from that example. FOX does not have a plan for usc and ucla, they dont care about them. They got what they wanted. Blocking ESPN from the So Cal market.

In the process, poor decision making by PAC officials, coupled by FOX's pirating of the PAC's most valuable media property left 10 PAC families in a hardship situation.

We had a choice to protect all 19 families and we did. FOX had choices to be up front and protect all 12 PAC families. They chose not to..........

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 3

On 3/7/2023 at 12:17 AM, McDuck said:

Just checked the historical record for ND/U$C through 2021.  92 games, two at neutral site.  Notre Dame has won 2/3rds of the games played in South Bend (28-14) but has a losing record (20-23) when they visit LA.  Five ties over the years, four of them in LA.

Very true - but how much of that is due to travel distance?  And how much is due to familiarity with the home field, fan support, and/or not having to travel at all (not even a Corvallis-to-Eugene bus ride)? 

I used to do 50,000 miles a year for business, have meetings that started at 4:00 a.m. my time, fly from Phoenix to Seattle, then to Minneapolis, then to Orlando, then home in the same week, and be working on the planes and in hotel rooms.  Believe me, I wasn't on a chartered jet with lots of room to nap, having my nutritional needs carefully cared for, and all my travel arrangements and check-ins done for me.  Yeah, the travel will be a hassle for these young, well-conditioned athletes, but forgive me if I don't feel too bad for them after nearly 30 years of traveling like I did and still taking care of everything I needed to at a high level of efficiency for my clients.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/6/2023 at 8:24 PM, spartan2785 said:

I'm not really going to put down our performances, but there is a bit of getting teams at the right time in those games.  Michigan that year was not a good team who had already lost to App St.  Tennessee was way way down and had Dooley (right?) at the time.  Ohio St. had a DC who couldn't make an adjustment to save his life.  We've gotten a little lucky, but we do tend to travel well to the Big10. 

I think we would do fine in our games if we went to the Big10, at least better than the LA schools.  I think teams would absolutely dread coming here to play us at home, I know that would be a fact as opposed to going to LA.

Oregon is 9-0 vs. the BIG since 2017 if you include the incoming LA schools in that group.  

On 3/7/2023 at 9:07 AM, GeotechDuck said:

Oregon is 9-0 vs. the BIG since 2017 if you include the incoming LA schools in that group.  

Yeah, the only losses I can think of against BIG competition is Wisconsin on the road way back during Harrington's junior season, Michigan St. twice on the road (both outstanding close games for the neutral), and the two bowl games against Ohio St.

We've mostly owned the Big10 in football.

On 3/7/2023 at 12:07 PM, GeotechDuck said:

Good stuff. Oregon has played well against B1G teams, but the conference overall has several B1G losses.

Utah lost to Penn State in the 2022/23 Rose Bowl. And lost to Ohio State the year prior. Before Coach DeBoer arrived UW was blown out at Michigan. Two seasons ago Oregon State lost at Purdue. Last season WSU did get a heck of a win at Wisconsin.

I think it is probably .500 or so conference-wise since 2017. Especially if you do not count victories against USC and UCLA.

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 3/6/2023 at 11:24 PM, spartan2785 said:

However that Michigan team ended up defeating Tim Tebow and Florida, coached by Urban Meyer, in its bowl game sending Lloyd Carr into retirement with a sweet victory. 

After the back-to-back Ls against App St and Oregon that Michigan team rebounded and played well.

On 3/6/2023 at 5:32 PM, Duckhart said:

What's to prevent ESPN to try and broker a deal with Pac & Big12 with SDS & Fresno State.Two division's.

This could be the advent of the third super power.

The acc will eventual merge with both SEC & Big10.

I think it is more likely that ACC teams will be individually picked off by the B1G and the SEC and that the ACC as a conference could disappear or drop to the G5.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not thinking ahead? What

could possibly go wrong?

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/6/2023 at 8:39 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

But I don't believe either network. They used leverage to gain an advantage for themselves with UT, OU, ucla and usc. They didn't care about the carnage that was left behind. They didn't care about the non revenue student athlete and or the well being of any athlete.

Perhaps they projected that football players will be ruled as employees in the near future, and thus there will not be many non-revenue sports left to worry about travel hardships?

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck