Reports: Oregon Leaving Pac-12 for B1G

Mr. FishDuck

What we have to get accustomed to?

Oregon's New Home.jpg

• Oh no! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I am starting a new thread since the other got so long reporting the developments of today...

Thamel Post.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Not official but pretty dang close. Looking forward to walking back in to the Colosseum  again and disappointing more SUC fans for years to come. Also, I hope Utah and ASU stay in the Pac as they bring in the best of the MWC and keep powering on.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Reports: Oregon, Washington leaving Pac-12 to join Big Ten

Conference realignment continues as Oregon and Washington are planning to leave and join the Big Ten.

247SPORTS.COM

Conference realignment continues as Oregon and Washington are planning to leave and join the Big Ten.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

After a roller coaster of exploration and negotiation across the week, the Ducks and Huskies will exit the Pac 12, leaving the 108-year-old league with no certain future.

Mr. FishDuck

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Good news for the Decks and Dawgs. Now they can concentrate on football. 

Recruiting is going to explode. 

Son, you can get out of the winter, play Michigan,USC, Ohio St, Penn St etc, have great facilities, you'll be on all the best channels, great coaching and mom and dad can come to a several games every year without much travel..... 

It was inevitable. 

Can't wait to watch all the great games on a network everybody watches. 

• Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well…it all comes down to economics. Oregon has to keep an eye 👁️ on revenues just to maintain the world class facilities that have been donated to the University. Sad, but true. 

We replace rival OSU rodent with tOSU corn nut. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

Mr. FishDuck

SC and UCLA can whine if they want to but they don't have a B1G vote before 2024. Hats off to the NW schools for negotiating a 'travel kicker' as part of the deal.

image.thumb.gif.7004d1c03baa7ab6c46df9ec11aceb24.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

At least one non-revenue sport, Acrobatics & Tumbling, already plays teams at a far distance, such as Qunnipiac in CT (and those teams travel here).

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pat Forde: "Update, per sources: Oregon and Washington haven't formally applied yet for membership in the Big Ten, which has to happen before they can be formally accepted. But both those things are expected to occur in short order. It's happening."

Mr. FishDuck

image.png

Mr. FishDuck

Twitter feeds are not loading at all, so I am copying and pasting...

Ross Dellenger:

"How did this happen? Minutes before Pac-12 presidents planned to meet this morning and potentially agree to a Grant of Rights, Oregon officials alerted commissioner George Kliavkoff that their concerns with the Apple deal had led to a re-engagement with the Big Ten."

"While on the call, UO and UW officials informed Pac-12 presidents they were accepting an imminent invite from Big Ten, which had cooled on the additions only to re-engage today.

'Oregon told us they were out unless their (Apple) figures didn’t increase,' says a P12 school source"

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

I cannot imagine the meltdown taking place on USC and Oregon State forums right now....

Hatin Duck.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/4/2023 at 10:54 AM, kirklandduck said:

I’m seeing other reports that the situation is still fluid

https://theathletic.com/4748878/2023/08/04/washington-oregon-big-ten-slowed/

That was 5 hrs ago. Gotta move faster than that today.

• Haha 1

Jim Harbaugh is probably thinking, What the Heck?!  I thought I got away from the Ducks when I left Stanford!!  Now they are gonna destroy my playoff chances EVERY flipping year!!  

• Oh no! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/4/2023 at 10:59 AM, Charles Fischer said:

SC is most definitely Aunt Edna!

• Haha 1

Sad day for college football, inevitable though. You can trace this back to Texas destroying the old Big 8. You can say this began in 2005 when Miami and Virginia Tech left the Big East for ACC. You could say it began in 2011 with the B1G taking Nebraska, PAC 12 taking Colorado and Utah, the SEC taking Missouri and Texas A&M, while Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Louisville and Boston College went to the ACC. West Virginia and TCU joined the Big 12, essentially stripping the Big East of it P6 status.

Ten years later Oklahoma and Texas left the Big 12. A year later USC and UCLA did the same to the PAC. The Big 12 adapted to survive, the PAC unfortunately didn't. I think it's safe to say that the ACC needs to be proactive to stay afloat. That G.O.R isn't the shield they believe it to be. Florida State is openly crying about it, although nobody forced them to sign it. What happens if Clemson, Miami, North Carolina and Virginia decide they wanna cry too? 

I wanna congratulate Oregon in getting an invite that will ensure you will continue to grow it's brand. To many like USC, Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia, Texas, Oklahoma and Notre Dame , you are new money. They don't see you on their level historically. They will say you have zero titles. As a Florida fan, we went through the same thing when Spurrier arrived. Luckily when I became a fan in the later 90's we had already gotten one. It took another two to get past that new money phase and some will still mock us for Gatorade making us. But I don't see Oregon failing to adapt like Nebraska has. 

It's a sad day if/when the PAC implodes, but college football will adapt. You guys aren't going in alone and it looks like you'll get to keep making your southern neighbors have a little heartburn. Ain't that a Quack in the butt?

• Thanks 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

I'm feeling sad about the Pac-12's demise, but I always wanted to see the Ducks play more diverse opponents, I'll be accepting their move to the Big Ten!

While I would have preferred the Pac have survived. I have said from early on that the UO needed to do what was right for the UO. I feel that is what they did.

Time to make B1G football fun to watch!

• Thumbs Up 1

Can't wait for that traditional Oregon-Rutgers rivalry game.

• Haha 1

• Wow 1

Mr. FishDuck

Mr. FishDuck

Have any reports come out on when this will go into effect? Next year? 

6507046a-2545-4b88-a12d-9dfa886b7b02-png

Mr. FishDuck

Social media reacts to initial reports of Oregon, Washington's departure for Big Ten

While there are a lot of college football fans who are celebrating the reports of this move happening, a ton of others are mourning what it likely means for the Pac-12 Conference, one of the most storied and beloved conferences in the nation.

As you would expect, social media was a sight to see on Friday morning after the initial reports came out. Here are some of the best reactions from the day:

WWW.USATODAY.COM

The Big Ten has cleared the way for Oregon and Washington to apply for membership and join the conference, according to four people familiar with the negotiations

This post is from an aptly named site:  angrybeavs.com

image.thumb.png.750bd422896ad34e414be43cfc646943.png

Many other comments about how Oregon will be middle of the pack, etc.  Kinda seems like the Beavs are "lashing out irrationally" because they see themselves falling into the "Independent" hole, or saddling up with the Mountain West.  Lots of angst over there...makes them forget that Oregon went to Ohio State with an offense that the 50's would have been proud of and beat the Buckeyes...

Big Ten clears way for Oregon, Washington to join, AP sources say, putting Pac-12 on brink

The Big Ten has cleared the way for Oregon and Washington to apply for membership and join the conference, four people with familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press on Friday, dealing a crushing blow to the beleaguered Pac-12.

The people spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because the Big Ten and the schools in the Pacific Northwest were finalizing an official agreement and announcement.

The Ducks and Huskies from the Pac-12 still must officially apply for membership and the Big Ten presidents, who met Friday morning to discuss expansion, need to officially approve any moves.

Two of the people familiar with the negotiations said the schools' applications are expected to be approved unanimously.

WWW.USATODAY.COM

The Big Ten has cleared the way for Oregon and Washington to apply for membership and join the conference, according to four people familiar with the negotiations
  • Cool 1

On 8/4/2023 at 2:32 PM, QuackyQuack said:

Have any reports come out on when this will go into effect? Next year? 

Has to be 2024 because the Pac-12 media deal concludes in 2023. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess these little signs of Brutus and Puddles were foretelling.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was reading a report posted in the last few minutes that said overnight negotiations broke down. I guess we’ll find out later today or tomorrow. 

OK, confession time. 

I live in Indy so......

Its two hours to Champaign Il, 45 minutes to Bloomington IN, 2 hours to Columbus OH, 3 hours to Northwestern, one hour to Purdue, 2 hours to ND, 3 hours to Michigan and Mich St........and now the Ducks will be visiting at least one or two of these sites every year.  USC the same. 

I miss the west coast where I lived near Portland for a long time but I'll have some solace at seeing and rooting for the team on a late Saturday afternoon. 

Go Ducks.......

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 suggested new names for the Big Ten Conference, which reportedly could get Oregon and Washington

Uh, it’s certainly been a chaotic Friday in college sports, and as of publishing this, it might get nuttier.

There was uncertainty about what could happen to the Pac-12 — at first, there was talk that Oregon and Washington (and perhaps others?) might leave for the Big Ten. Then? Maybe that wasn’t happening.

But now there’s a report that the Ducks and Huskies will join the Big Ten, and that could lead to the Pac-12 (er, 10?) crumbling.

Which brings us to important business: What the heck are they going to call the Big Ten when there will be a lot more than 10 teams in it?

Twitter had thoughts...

FTW.USATODAY.COM

The … Bigger Ten Conference?

On 8/4/2023 at 2:53 PM, lownslowav8r said:

I was reading a report posted in the last few minutes that said overnight negotiations broke down. I guess we’ll find out later today or tomorrow. 

You won't need to wait...Oregon and Washington going to B1G 10. 

• Applause 1

Yep.

• Oh no! 1

Mr. FishDuck

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/4/2023 at 2:26 PM, DUCati855 said:

While I would have preferred the Pac have survived. I have said from early on that the UO needed to do what was right for the UO. I feel that is what they did.

Time to make B1G football fun to watch!

The PAC teams will definitely be a breath of fresh air in the stuffy ol' B1G.

I'm very sad for what is happening to the PAC, but hopeful the Ducks will continue to be the innovative creators of exciting football they have been for decades now (well maybe minus the Mario years).

Go Ducks!

• Applause 1

On 8/4/2023 at 10:47 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Twitter feeds are not loading at all, so I am copying and pasting...

Ross Dellenger:

"How did this happen? Minutes before Pac-12 presidents planned to meet this morning and potentially agree to a Grant of Rights, Oregon officials alerted commissioner George Kliavkoff that their concerns with the Apple deal had led to a re-engagement with the Big Ten."

"While on the call, UO and UW officials informed Pac-12 presidents they were accepting an imminent invite from Big Ten, which had cooled on the additions only to re-engage today.

'Oregon told us they were out unless their (Apple) figures didn’t increase,' says a P12 school source"

So ... now we are on the cutting edge, not of streaming media college sports ... but of the dissolution of a century old Conference.  As I've pondered previously, streaming never had a chance.  Nor does it deserve one ... at least at this point in time.  I hate the loss of this great conference, but the New World of collegiate sports will be dominated by super-conferences for the foreseeable future.

GO DUCKS!

Edited by Mudslide

It’s kind of anticlimactic. This is only the beginning. Rather than watch the west setting with the sun, B1G is forming a western division. In five years when media streaming has settled in and taken the place of cable/satellite, we’ll all vote to leave the B1G and reform the PAC? In the meantime, thank goodness the B1G couldn’t face the fall without their traditional west coast buddies.

On 8/4/2023 at 11:54 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

6 suggested new names for the Big Ten Conference, which reportedly could get Oregon and Washington

How about the CTC Conference (Coast to Coast) or OTO Conference (Ocean to Ocean).

I'm very sad and disappointed to have the PAC fold up.  It is so disappointing to have the beautiful game of college football so altered by TV money and greed.  A beautiful landscape of tradition and regional rivalries is now littered and torn apart by dollar signs and animosity.  Ever since ESPN got involved and the country thought we needed a single national champion things have gone downhill.  It may be a good decision for UO, but as one who saw my first Ducks football game at Hayward Field, I am sad today.

• Salute 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Thumbs Up 4