Charles Fischer

Recruiting for Oregon in the B1G...

Obviously with the incredible exposure--we will attract even more to Eugene.  Your typical Oregon vs. B1G team will have TONS more eyeballs on it, and doubling our viewership number should be easy.  It sucks to be us, right?  😁

Looking at the Rivals current rankings...we are third in the B1G, and yet No. 6 in the nation?  That my Duck-Buddies is a Power-Conference that we are now are part of and should be proud of.

Although Josh Pate feels differently than I?  

• Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

It will be interesting to see what it does in the short term as well. Do we see any flips? Does USC get punched down a notch because they are no longer able to use the Oregon won't be in the B1G argument? 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 9:45 PM, David Marsh said:

It will be interesting to see what it does in the short term as well. Do we see any flips? Does USC get punched down a notch because they are no longer able to use the Oregon won't be in the B1G argument? 

They may get punched down a notch, but we were asking athletes and parents if traveling cross country 4-5 times a year was to their taste.  I’d like to see the 4 West Coast teams play one another every year.  That’s 3 games on the West Coast.  Then you split 6 more with the East Coast and then a home non-conference game and at least we’ll be in the close neighborhood for 7 games, maybe 8 if you schedule another clunker at home 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey Bruce,

We will need to do something about the B1G championships in Bloomington, Indiana!  I think Hayward Field would be more suitable...

Hayward 1.jpg

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/4/2023 at 9:55 PM, Bruce3404 said:

They may get punched down a notch, but we were asking athletes and parents if traveling cross country 4-5 times a year was to their taste.  I’d like to see the 4 West Coast teams play one another every year.  That’s 3 games on the West Coast.  Then you split 6 more with the East Coast and then a home non-conference game and at least we’ll be in the close neighborhood for 7 games, maybe 8 if you schedule another clunker at home 

I would love to see two more B1G teams on the west coast... I don't care if it is Cal and Stanford (most likely) or Oregon State and Washington State (super unlikely to happen) but that could put us up to 4-5 games on the west coast. Then throw in 2-3 Non-conference games... I know Oregon wants to preserve the Oregon State game so that is super local and affordable. That puts 6-8 games on the west coast which would be far more affordable.

I think one thing that would need to change for Oregon's scheduling would be to get rid of any away games that require traveling across the country. That's just an added cost that isn't needed for anyone. Oregon is going to get plenty of east coast match-ups and have to travel to the east coast enough so those type of OOC games probably don't help exposure so much but hurt the finances.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well usc, ucla and uw will have the same travel situation. Thus the playing field is equal for the 4 west coast schools joining the BIG.....

usc and ucla will no longer have a recruiting edge over OBD's...

The only difference is the massive increase in exposure for all 4 schools. The BIG Network viewership dwarfs the reach of the P-12 Networks.

Watched the BIG Network for hours tonight. Its high quality and top notch. National pundits and sports broadcasters were talking positive about the Ducks and huskies.

Starting in 2024 more 8 year olds across the country will be watching OBD's each season for years to come.

Recruits all over the country will watch our Ducks on linear TV in those seasons we play tOSU, PSU, MSU, Michigan, Iowa, Whisky! As well as usc, ucla and uw.

Autzen fans will have some powerhouse games to attend each season.

The TV pregame hosts and game announcers will not be talking down our Ducks. Recruits will be watching and attending some of those games.

And OBD's have some of the best recruiters in CF. Not to mention a head coach building a Georgia/SEC defense.

More exposure means more freaks watching the Ducks. That bodes well......

GO DUCKS!

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

This B1G move is B1G for Dan Lanning and Ducks recruiting.

image.thumb.gif.79960fec1bd12c2229267fc098182109.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

The Big Ten championship for football is at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indy and will probably stay there. It seats 70,000 comfortably with great amenities. It's a great facility in a really nice mid size city. Of course since I live here I'am biased.

The Ducks are already doing pretty well in our new conference...

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Regarding recruiting, J. Brady McCollough in today’s LA Times made the following observations observation:

“USC and UCLA will no longer be able to tell Southern California recruits who are being pursued by the ever-persistent Ducks that going to Oregon means you won’t be playing in marquee games on Fox, NBC or CBS. From a competitive standpoint the Ducks and Huskies are now on equal footing and can venture back into the Southland with a renewed swagger.”

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 11:27 AM, DUCKED said:

can venture back into the Southland with a renewed swagger

AND, it’s an improvement over the Pac-12 bc in the Pac the Ducks only played in LA every _other_ year.

Now they will play in LA _every_ year. 

The one downside is that we’ll only have 1 or 2 home games against our own division each year. 

• Thumbs Up 1

For guys like Michael Van Buren this is going to be huge because he's a B-more native. While I am not saying he isn't capable, St. Francis has quite a few people that are single and double reclass players and their line is

massive and he's a little guy at 5'11". St. Francis was booted from the MIAA because they were pulling kids from all over the place when Poggi was the head coach. It's kind of like travel baseball teams that pull kids from across

the country to play in Perfect Game tournaments, playing against teams made up of local talent. So, playing behind a line like his is a huge benefit, hoping it translates to college. The move can only help with PA, OH and other

B1G footprint talent.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ducks making B1G recruiting push with help of conference realignment

One of the biggest benefits that came with Friday’s news that the Oregon Ducks would be leaving the Pac-12 Conference alongside the Washington Huskies and moving to the Big Ten Conference was the boost that it gave both teams in the recruiting world.

While the flashy uniforms and the elite facilities certainly help the Ducks when it comes to landing top-rated recruits, one of the biggest disadvantages they had was the exposure that they could offer prospects. Some of Oregon’s games came on ESPN and other national broadcasts, but a lot were also relegated to the Pac-12 Network, making it harder to players to be seen on a big stage.

The move to the Big Ten changed that. Now, the Ducks will be playing against the best teams in the nation on NBC, CBS, and FOX once they officially make the move next year. It comes as no surprise that the school is trying hard to push that fact with recruits, and making it be known that they will be in one of the most elite conferences in the nation a year from now.

Check out all of these posts for Oregon prospects and commits that came on social media Saturday...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Ducks making B1G recruiting push with help of conference realignment
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/4/2023 at 9:55 PM, Bruce3404 said:

True.  But now East Coast and Southern families have closer access to seeing their kids play live.  

That is an awesome recruiting tool.  A kid from Texas is closer to Iowa and Minnesota than Eugene, LA, SF and Seattle.  A kid from Florida is also.  

Oregon joining the Big 10 is a threat to the SEC now.  Families in SEC territory know the value of a marquee team that will play closer to home and will be watched by millions more people.  

I also hope the West Coast teams play each other every year.  That's six high value matchups the conference can hype each year.  Better than Indiana v. Purdue for sure.  

It will also be more equitable for the years the West Coast schools travel five times a year in conference games ( two west coast games, three back east).  

Time will tell if UM and tOSU will allow a level playing field.  If not, gearing up to beat them in the title game and the playoffs ( in other words, tailor your team to prepare for both year round) will be poetic justice.  

• Applause 1

While the BIG fans will be like, why are they running so fast, throwing so far, and causing so much havoc on defense.......

The recruits will be saying, give me some of that, that looks like fun!

wat.0.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

From the Duckswire article posted above:  "Now, the Ducks will be playing against the best teams in the nation on NBC, CBS, and FOX once they officially make the move next year."  

No, we will be playing against one of the best teams in the country, namely Ohio State. Our track record against the other Big Ten teams we played for the last 10-15 years is pretty good. It's not like we're going to the SEC, where we'd have to play Georgia, Alabama, and LSU every year. Relatively speaking, most of the blue blood programs in the Big Ten have been bleeding out for the last decade or two. Time for a bunch of red-blooded Ducks to come in and show them what new blood can do. How is it that even a Duckswire reporter has drank the Midwest kool-aid?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Questions for Dan Lanning about recruiting after the move to the B1G?  (From 8-5 interviews)

Q: What can be the immediate recruiting impact of this?

DL: "More than anything clear direction. We have a really clear direction right now. It's not the what-ifs or the where-are. It's really clear where we're going to be in the future and how we're set up for long-term.

Q: Were schools using that against you on the trail?

DL: "Everybody is always going to recruit hard against us. Ultimately, we're not really concerned about everyone else. We have a great option to sell here and it's only stronger now because of what happened yesterday.

• Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

UCLA fans are very nervous that Dante Moore is very upset and may want to go back to the Ducks next year. That kind of counts as recruiting in the BIG.

• Haha 1

On 8/5/2023 at 9:11 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

UCLA fans are very nervous that Dante Moore is very upset and may want to go back to the Ducks next year. That kind of counts as recruiting in the BIG.

I said it before. If Ducks were joining the B1G twelve months ago, Moore would be a Duck.

I fully expect 5* recruits choosing the Ducks at a much higher rate. 3, 4, 5 a class will become the norm.

USC knew it. Watching them melt over this realization has been a wonderful blessing. 

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

How Oregon Stacks Up to B1G Recruiting

Oregon is actively recruiting the 2024 class. Which will be the first signed class at Oregon to play as a Big-10 conference member.

Every year the SEC, Big-10 and ACC recruit the best of the best. Meanwhile Oregon had been taking advantage of several down years at USC in the Pac-12. That is until Lincoln Riley got them back on the right track.

USC and UCLA have already been included in the B1G recruiting rankings. Oregon and Washington will likely be moved into the B1G rankings soon as well.

WWW.ON3.COM

Where does Oregon currently rank in the Big-10 conference recruiting rankings? Here is a closer look at how the Ducks stack...
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oregon's recruiting has been with the incredible shrinking PAC and a puny streaming deal to contend with. I think the shift to the BIG helps close the deal with some/ many of the high value recruits still to make decisions. I'd also look for some flips as the signing deadline nears.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/5/2023 at 9:11 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Source?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/6/2023 at 12:40 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Oregon's recruiting has been with the incredible shrinking PAC and a puny streaming deal to contend with. I think the shift to the BIG helps close the deal with some/ many of the high value recruits still to make decisions. I'd also look for some flips as the signing deadline nears.

Totally agree, Kamidaze Kid. I think we lost a couple of highly ranked recruits due to conference uncertainty in the past couple of months. Everyone was recruiting against us with that. Coach Lanning is so excited with being in the B1G and it is full steam ahead on recruiting. It would be great to see some flips!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/6/2023 at 9:43 AM, DUCKED said:

Source?

It's all over their 24/7 page. They seem to think that he won't stick around after this year.

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/5/2023 at 5:59 PM, Haywarduck said:

While the BIG fans will be like, why are they running so fast, throwing so far, and causing so much havoc on defense.......

The recruits will be saying, give me some of that, that looks like fun!

wat.0.gif

However, I watched both Oregon and Ohio State play Georgia last season and as I recall, the Ohio State game was a bit closer than the Oregon game. I watched Penn State toy with Utah. Michigan? Next case. Michigan broke off a huge run to open the game against TCU. Then it called a number of suspect plays in the Red Zone and an 'NFL coach,' Jim Harbaugh, stupidly went for it on 4th down instead of kicking the FG and walking off the field with first possession points. What's your deal? 

I think a lot of the slow B1G rubric belongs with no conference plays D like the SEC; the B12 schools can't play D and West Coast teams are soft. (OK, maybe there's some truth to the last rubric?)

In general, I do agree with you, friend Hayward. Ducks should have speed unmatched by any school other than Ohio State and the unbelievably good group of WRs at Ohio State. Tougher road to the playoff? I'll take playing Rutgers, Purdue, Indiana, Northwestern, and Minnesota over playing Utah, Oregon State, Washington State in Pullman, and playing at ASU. I think the Ducks are B1G Tier 1 and the notoriety of defeating lesser B1G teams will go a lot further than playing lesser Pac teams in games off of the national radar.

On 8/6/2023 at 12:47 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

It's all over their 24/7 page. They seem to think that he won't stick around after this year.

Could be? Especially if Donte does not get the starting nod in 2023 and perhaps, not the NIL deals he could have received from Division Street?

UCLA is way down the LA sports scene ladder and Moore playing at Oregon will now have the same opportunity to play his homeboys at Michigan and Michigan State.

image.thumb.gif.3fe1c2d6d0f754b9f237510e16bea8e0.gif

On 8/6/2023 at 12:33 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

How Oregon Stacks Up to B1G Recruiting

Oregon is actively recruiting the 2024 class. Which will be the first signed class at Oregon to play as a Big-10 conference member.

Every year the SEC, Big-10 and ACC recruit the best of the best. Meanwhile Oregon had been taking advantage of several down years at USC in the Pac-12. That is until Lincoln Riley got them back on the right track.

USC and UCLA have already been included in the B1G recruiting rankings. Oregon and Washington will likely be moved into the B1G rankings soon as well.

WWW.ON3.COM

Where does Oregon currently rank in the Big-10 conference recruiting rankings? Here is a closer look at how the Ducks stack...

Come on! B1G recruiting sans Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State is not close to SEC recruiting year after year. And the results show up on the football field and in the NFL draft.

But I love this! This is the stuff that comes with East Coast Bias. And Oregon recruits will be able to watch real football media coverage on the B1G Network instead of watching on Larry's Lemonade Stand.

Its a long time until Dec early signing day. 

We all know that DL and staff have not and will not stop building their relationship with recruits who have verbally committed elsewhere 

No more worry on what conference the Ducks will be playing in. A

Top level 4 and 5☆ recruits no longer have to worry about being seen on national TV in one of many spectacular Duck uniforms.

I am confident that GK's slow play, no hurry approach to a media deal cost the Ducks a few recruits.

Also, on the surface it appears the road to the CFP will be more challenging in the BIG. However a 10-2 or 11-2 record in the PAC did not come with an automatic CFP invite unless you were PAC champs.

In the BIG, finish 3rd at 10-2, with closes losses to tOSU and UM will probably get you an Invite.

WHY? Because you will have beat usc, ucla, uw and maybe Iowa or Whisky or Nebraska in that year.

The schedule will matter a great deal and major Duck games will be on national tv and recruits will be watching.

Can you imagine a 10-1 Duck team playing a 9-2 husky team the day after Thanksgiving? 4 pm pst kickoff with FOX and the BIG network promoting it. BIG TIME OBDF....

I know many would prefer OSU vs Ducks on that day. However, let this sink in, the Beavs are not a conference opponent anymore. My guess is FOX and our BIG Conference partners will come to view UO vs uw as the last gane rivalry, just like tOSU vs Michigan or usuck vs uclasuck.

The future for the DUCKS is the BIG.. ..GO DUCKS!

• Applause 1

Riiiiiight!

Mr. FishDuck

The lady doth protest too much, methinks. 

Will the Big Ten change the way Oregon recruits? 

247Sports' Recruiting analysts Cooper Petagna and Blair Angulo take a look at how Oregon will approach recruiting as they move to the Big Ten conference.

247SPORTS.COM

247Sports' Recruiting analysts Cooper Petagna and Blair Angulo take a look at how Oregon will approach recruiting as they move...

Sweet!

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/5/2023 at 12:45 AM, David Marsh said:

That would be a second flip. Right, Carol Folt?

I think that not only does the move help you in California, but also the Midwest, and East. A'lot of talent in the Baltimore, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus Detroit, Indianapolis ,Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, New Jersey, St Louis, D.C area.

That's your new footprint. You guys already do a pretty good job recruiting nationally. But you're about to get a'lot more looks from kids in these areas.

Edited by GatOrlando
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1

On 8/4/2023 at 9:59 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Hey Bruce,

We will need to do something about the B1G championships in Bloomington, Indiana!  I think Hayward Field would be more suitable...

Hayward 1.jpg

I don't know, Charles...  The Robert C. Haugh Complex is an awfully sweet looking community college facility. 

th-1237446252.jpg

• Haha 2

Could this news help Duck's recruiting and the Ducks, perhaps, on the field in 2024?

Harbaugh's 4-game suspension in 2023 is off the table to be revisited before the 2024 season. Harbaugh in 2023 was to miss 3 OOC cupcakes and Rutgers with all of the games being played in Ann Arbor.

The 2024 OOC slate includes a good G5 Fresno State team and the first of a home-and-home series with the opener to be played in Ann Arbor, versus Texas.

Michigan tried to reduce the improper contact with recruits in violation of COVID restrictions as being only about Harbaugh buying a hamburger or two for recruits. As the NCAA noted when canceling the 2023 'plea deal' with Harbaugh, this is about more than a cheeseburger!  Harbaugh has flirted with a return to the NFL before and this situation could be the proverbial straw that has him moving back to the NFL. (And, this turn of events is likely not good news for ASU.)

FANSIDED.COM

Jim Harbaugh won't have to deal with a suspension in 2023 but the developments with the NCAA Committee on Infractions may just drive him to the NFL. M...

Edited by Jon Joseph