Charles Fischer

The Media, Even One of Our Own, Does Not See Oregon's Truth

Good grief.  If anyone should get it--Schwartz should, considering how I covered him during his playing days for Chip.  This defense will be helped by an emerging Matayo, but the key are the portal transfers on defense that Lanning brought in at LB, DB and JACK linebacker.  

All those transfers will make a MASSIVE change in the defense, and you heard me declare it now a ton of times while the pundits/media do not recognize it yet.

Tysheem Johnson (No. 27) is a fast, but stout defender who fits

perfectly at the STAR position. He will be a FORCE for Oregon.

Oregon Football: 5 things to know about Ducks' safety Tysheem Johnson

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

I think there is, rightly, some skepticism about how big an impact a transfer is going to have on the culture of a team, therefore the outcomes. 

Gonzo came to Oregon and was an elite talent, but didn't elevate the play around him too much. 

There is something about a home grown talent who both shows how it is done at a school and demands it of others. That kind of character makes the difference between longterm winning, dominant programs and flash in the pan programs that win some, but lose head scratchers.

It sounds like Conerly, Franklin, Bassa, Dorlus and now Matayo are setting that standard. If we don't have a dominant season this will be why, we don't quite have the culture set. 

I will agree the athletes are potentially there, but will they rise up to meet that potential, especially a guy like Burch. He could be a game wrecker, but what will he do to the culture, that isn't certain. 

Back when we had the Joey's, the Justins, and Troy Dye's we knew the team would rise up to meet any challenge, these guys demanded it and got it out of everyone. We don't know what the dynamic is with the guys we have brought in.

I also think there is a lot of pride within the alumni at Oregon. A guy like Schwartz, or even Joey when he talked to a non-Oregon guy like Lanning were skeptical about how the team would be without long-term ties to Oregon's program. These guys saw what a 4 year or more commitment at Oregon could and did create. 

I agree we live in new times, and also believe this season has all the makings of a great Oregon team. The difference is it is transfers who make up a majority of the starters. This creates a whole new dynamic which some are skeptical about and others just plain don't believe. 

I am, like always, a believer we will win all of our games. At the same time I can understand the skeptics. I can also respect those skeptics as it comes from pride, and first hand experience about how tough it is to get it done.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

This is not about pride with me; this is analysis.  When I break down the Spring Game, look closely at the transfers, and learn the Georgia 4-2-5 MINT defense-I could see what was happening.

The media does not know Lanning’s defense, as they cannot even get the positions listed correctly for the depth charts!

I am not always right, but I feel pretty confident in my assertions.  It will make the drama of the season that much more entertaining.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/23/2023 at 9:55 AM, Charles Fischer said:

This is not about pride with me; this is analysis.  When I break down the Spring Game, look closely at the transfers, and learn the Georgia 4-2-5 MINT defense-I could see what was happening.

The media does not know Lanning’s defense, as they cannot even get the positions listed correctly for the depth charts!

I am not always right, but I feel pretty confident in my assertions.  It will make the drama of the season that much more entertaining.

Agree, but still remember the photo of Joey meeting Lanning for the first time. Joey's body language screamed, you're an outsider and have no idea how to win here. Lanning embraced that skepticism and is showing the non-believers he both cares about Oregon and knows how to win on and off the field.

I think Shwartz is doing about the same thing. I can understand both of these legends emotional distrust.

I suppose this is why are a very good financial advisor. It is all about the data, and emotions just get in the way. 

I would say a football team isn't just about the numbers, it is about the culture, and that is what I want to see built and sustained. There are plenty of talent full teams who disappoint.

I agree with the idea that culture will come from the Oregon guys. For the longterm it will rely on the Matayo's not the Burch's, that I agree with Shwartz on.

Hayward, if Joey had his way Justin Wilcox would be the Ducks coach and recruiting would be somewhere in the lower 30s or upper 40s. And would a guy like Nix be returning at QB? I doubt it.

Caleb Williams, Bo Nix, Michael Penix, Jr., and Cam Rising all transferred in. Christian Gonzalez is emblematic of how successfully Dan can pluck the portal. Certainly, Matayo will be a baller at Oregon. But at the start of the season at the very least I expect that Jordan Burch will have more of an impact. NFL free agents do not always work out but I'd much rather go with a guy I have film on playing against college competition than a rookie coming out of high school.

It's a new day and age in CFB. Plucking the portal properly is as important in many respects as the recruiting rankings. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 5

It is perfectly fair to be skeptical that the defense will make a huge improvement, it has been the case for many years that the Oregon defense gets hyped up about the improvements that will be made, and then it ends up being very mediocre for a top 25 team.

Until I see it with my own eyes, I will not believe that we will be a shut down defense just based on the hype of incoming transfers or freshmen.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/23/2023 at 1:50 PM, spartan2785 said:

It is perfectly fair to be skeptical that the defense will make a huge improvement, it has been the case for many years that the Oregon defense gets hyped up about the improvements that will be made, and then it ends up being very mediocre for a top 25 team.

Until I see it with my own eyes, I will not believe that we will be a shut down defense just based on the hype of incoming transfers or freshmen.

Absolutely. As always, the proof will be in the pudding.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/23/2023 at 10:50 AM, spartan2785 said:

Couldn't have said it better.  Last year's D couldn't stop the rodents on a single drive in the 4th quarter when they were running every play and everyone knew it, WITH THE CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP ON THE LINE.  Same with the fusky game, one stop in the 4th quarter and we win that game, not to mention DL/KD probably don't go for it on 4th down around our own 30-yard line if they trust the defense to make a stop.

Maybe we can give them credit for a win in the Utah game, but IMO Cam Rising and his receivers had a terrible game.  The Autzen environment probably had a lot to do with that and we don't win that game in Rice-Eccles IMHO.

I'm cautiously optimistic as I always am (especially this time of year), but expecting a quantum leap in defense in year two may be a bit much to ask.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 8/23/2023 at 10:50 AM, spartan2785 said:

Until I see it with my own eyes,

Sure, that is easy.

But to have faith in Our Beloved Ducks, and in my own analysis...is what I do.

Watching this happen, (or not) will make the journey that much more interesting.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Last year our leadership was supposed to come from the linebacking corp, but they simply didn't produce and couldn't get their job done.  It's hard to expect more from everyone else, when your position group was being exploited all season.

Hoping for a much different outcome this year from on field leadership.

• Thumbs Up 2

This interview with Tosh increased my confidence at bit....

• Thumbs Up 2

My take on transfers is very few teams can make it without them. Some guys like Mazo, Bo, Gonzo, and others are hidden gems you can not overlook. Some of these guys DL is acquiring are NFL bound and are only costing themselves money if they don’t over achieve.

Even Sabin plucks up transfers now and again. 

IMO DL and his guys are doing a great job so far on this and I’m excited about it. 

Most media, so called, experts are busy reading each other’s articles and get a lot of the information from each other. Do most of them know? I think not or they would all get rich gambling on sports instead of writing some of the articles we continually pick apart. 

Bottom line is win all the games your supposed to win and some you are not and you will be successful.

Edited by Just Ducky
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 8/23/2023 at 11:41 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Sure, that is easy.

But to have faith in Our Beloved Ducks, and in my own analysis...is what I do.

Watching this happen, (or not) will make the journey that much more interesting.

Not saying you shouldn't do what you do!  Your enthusiasm is contagious, it's great to see optimism, I guess I'm just guarding myself against disappointment.  I think we'll be improved, just not an elite defense, I'll be more than happy if we can be in that 20-40 ranking range.  

Watch the Nix interview today in Fall Camp thread. Nix seemed super bullish on the D. Nix has played against some of the best defenses in college football. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

I think transfers are great, love this years Ducks, think they will go undefeated until proven otherwise.

I just get why some alumni, who played for, fought for, and overachieved were and are skeptical, and I can respect that.

I get that those two sentences are completely different and conflicting opinions. I actually love when my brain and others can do that, and it is a trait getting pretty rare in this day and age. Most of the time I see someones opinion, others who align with ones opinion, and the only other opinion is the wrong opinion. Fortunately that isn't needed on this site.

There are a few reasons why this program has been so successful. One of them is the loyalty, another is innovation, and lastly one guy who has taken us up a notch and wants us to get to the top.

I agree none of those reasons have anything to do with Joey making personnel decisions, or Schwartz making predictions.

• Applause 2

Josh Pate is high on Oregon at number 5 nationally.  He sees what Oregon has this year.   Josh Pate comes from SEC country.

Yes, I went back and re-read Fish Duck articles showing the dynamics of this year's defensive side, with the talent positionally Lanning brought in.  We will see the trickle down effect that will strengthened across every positional group on the field.  We saw a glimpse in the Spring game.

Not only Oregon's returning some talented/experience players, but also brought in top talent players with experience through the transfer portal, giving us 8 deep on the front line.  With one of the top QBs in the country along with one of the most talented running back and receiver corps as well, wow!

He is also bringing improvements on special teams as well.  Special teams was made a priority this year.

We only lost by 7 total points in those games against Washington and OSU, with a defense lacking with the right positional players and an injured Nix.  Yes, one bad coaching call.  But, thinking about the talented improvements/depth brought in this year's team, makes me dream of a Pac-12 championship and a CFP invite!

Joe Lorig discusses special teams improvement, and Oregon's increased presence at the nickel

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Joe Lorig discussed the need to improve on special teams, and how UO’s nickel spot is shaping up.

Are Ducks a top-5 team in 2023? One CFB analyst thinks so

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

One popular college football analyst has the Ducks ranked as a top-5 team going into the 2023 season.

From Justin Hopkins:

He sees it as well.

Well if I haven’t gone full-homer by now I might as well leave no doubt. Look, Oregon is as good as any team in the top ten not named Georgia. But they will only go as far as the defense will take them. I think it will be better. And they have the bodies and depth to be physical at the point of attack. And while nobody has a JV schedule like Georgia, but Oregon’s a bit more favorable with 2 of its 4 toughest games at home. (USC and OSU)

WWW.ON3.COM

The AP and coaches polls have five Pac-12 teams ranked in the top 20. Here is my take on which are underrated and overrated.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Another example of how Geoff really doesn't get it.

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I've never trusted guys named Jeff who spelled their names Geoff.  

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Because of Burch, Matayo will have an impact as a freshman. 

Think about it, Burch on one side, Matayo on the other, and Popo storming up the middle!!

Who ya gonna double!

Cuz that's what it will take.

That's why I'm so glad it's just about game week!

Let the D's action on the field do the talking, and we will see how quickly those negative remarks change. 

I agree whole heartedly with you FishDuck, coach plucked the portal perfectly to fill holes and improve the defense. 

And special teams also will be vastly improved.

Oh let the games begin!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/23/2023 at 3:55 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Another example of how Geoff really doesn't get it.

I am giving Geoff the benefit of the doubt and am reading his response sarcastically, in which case it was quite a sick burn. 🤣

• Thumbs Up 3

There is no playing Georgia in Atlanta the first game of a new coach this year. 

The two losses after that were by a total of 7 points.

The offense may be better than last year, if the line is anywhere near as good as last year (the talent is there, maybe not the chemistry).

So, if the defense is a little better, 7 points better, this team could be undefeated. 

Burch (and Matayo) improve the line. I believe the linebackers will be better (playing Lanning's system) than last year. The DB probably will be better.

Not saying this team will be undefeated, and there are no question marks, but it's not far fetched to say they can be very, very good.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

IN my opinion --highly regarded by me of course😄, The Ducks should go undefeated in the PAC this year barring major injuries. Am I a HOMER? You Betcha!!!

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

PD posted this in a different post, but wanted to add it in here as well.  Josh Pate is High on Oregon's OL as well as DL.  He is high on Ducks period!  As we all know, the AP got it so wrong about our Ducks.  He politely said "this is why I differ from the AP."  Talented experience OL, 8 deep.     

Another example of how Geoff really doesn't get it.

Dwight James…ughhh

Personally, I love the Billboards. I am 100% sure that the marketing brain trust at Oregon knows more about how to brand a team than grumpy Dwight and Geoff.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/23/2023 at 11:41 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Watching it happen will make the journey much more interesting, but watching it not happen will make the journey much more painful.  Fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

GO DUCKS!

Whenever the preseason "depth charts" are released, I tend to pull them up and take a look.

One of the lists which seems to be fairly on the ball from what I can tell (OurLads.com) is listing 5 new starters at DB. Now, the STAR has graduated but there are 4 other guys returning who are currently listed as back-ups, including two sixth year seniors, a fourth year guy, and a third year guy (3 out of the 4 nationally rated #40, #106, and #231).

Now, who knows how accurate it will prove to be; and, even if so I'm sure those guys will play and will be a massive wealth of depth at those spots.

But, if indeed the new guys have displaced the veteran core? That's interesting. I'm not sure how you read it other than a sizeable influx of talent.

Edited by Dr Hilarius
removed underline from paragraph
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/23/2023 at 11:15 AM, noDucknewby said:

Couldn't have said it better.  Last year's D couldn't stop the rodents on a single drive in the 4th quarter when they were running every play and everyone knew it, WITH THE CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP ON THE LINE.  Same with the fusky game, one stop in the 4th quarter and we win that game, not to mention DL/KD probably don't go for it on 4th down around our own 30-yard line if they trust the defense to make a stop.

Maybe we can give them credit for a win in the Utah game, but IMO Cam Rising and his receivers had a terrible game.  The Autzen environment probably had a lot to do with that and we don't win that game in Rice-Eccles IMHO.

I'm cautiously optimistic as I always am (especially this time of year), but expecting a quantum leap in defense in year two may be a bit much to ask.

Last year's defense was predictable.  The secondary was horrible, and had been for to long.  Gonzalez was the first step, but show guys, guys that don't understand football, and I mean basic coverage concepts cannot and will not be successful.

Look at the spring game... The year the Fuskies best us down 70-14, I saw in the Spring Game that slaughter.  I argued with a ground of mine how big the doors would be.

I fixed my teeth on that game.  Ten thousand dollars.  It was that obvious.  It is more than clear this defense of going to wreck plans for most teams... They tackle, they close separation well ( catch up to runners that have a lead on them), they takeout well in Killeen space, the leave little room for elite recovers in the middle of the field to get open, they plus running holes quickly.  This defense is miles ahead of last year.

This team has the chance to go undefeated because of this defense.  We saw all of that against a pretty lethal offense.  Ours.  I'd be surprised if we go 9-3 or 10-3 this year.  I see 10-2 minimum.

• Like 1

...and yet the media talks about Billboards. And you know good and well the kids in HS are watching it as well. 

By the way, last time I remember a billboard erected in NYC?........ The kid was invited to the Heisman Ceremony. Pretty good odds huh???

• Applause 1

Let's face it. Since Troy Dye left, the D has been a major disappointment. Last year, Lanning found out that his complex defensive scheme was too complex for the players to absorb in one year and he had to simplify it and take many of the wrinkles out. He was also mostly working with guys that weren't brought in to run it.

This year, I think he's been able to expand the simplified system back to it's original complex state and is now working with a group of players that are the right type to run it. The turn around has the potential to be drastic and elevate the UO into playoff contention right away. But until we actually see some on field results, potential is all that it is.

I'm not going to hold it against people who want to see it before they believe it. However, I do think there is something to believe in this year.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/25/2023 at 6:40 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Last year, Lanning found out that his complex defensive scheme was too complex for the players to absorb in one year and he had to simplify it and take many of the wrinkles out. He was also mostly working with guys that weren't brought in to run it.

This year, I think he's been able to expand the simplified system back to it's original complex state and is now working with a group of players that are the right type to run it. The turn around has the potential to be drastic and elevate the UO into playoff contention right away.

I cannot write it any better than what Kamikaze Kid gave us above...

giphy.gif

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

KK gets it, if possible always go with KISS.

image.thumb.gif.26b5d90c3946d59d80f432302f4baa42.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/25/2023 at 6:40 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Let's face it. Since Try Dye left, the D has been a major disappointment. Last year, Lanning found out that his complex defensive scheme was too complex for the players to absorb in one year and he had to simplify it and take many of the wrinkles out. He was also mostly working with guys that weren't brought in to run it.

This year, I think he's been able to expand the simplified system back to it's original complex state and is now working with a group of players that are the right type to run it. The turn around has the potential to be drastic and elevate the UO into playoff contention right away. But until we actually see some on field results, potential is all that it is.

I'm not going to hold it against people who want to see it before they believe it. However, I do think there is something to believe in this year.

The talent was so subpar I doubt that unit would have performed well even if they did grasp the concept of Lanning's defense.  They were slow, out of position on simple routes, didn't tackle well, and had no intensity at all.  It by was simply a terrible defense, with terrible talent. 

The middle linebackers never covered the middle pass routes ( what else are they supposed to cover?).  The safeties were on the other side of the field on just about every deep pass completion, it was ridiculous. 

By any standard, a safety is supposed to prevent any player from running past them.  The really good ones can do that AND close to break up passes ( we saw UGA do that and more).  Georgia made our defense look like a high school defense.  That is unacceptable.  Especially when the unit is composed of four star recruits.  

No, it wasn't confusion, it was poor play.  And it was pretty similar to Cristobal's unit his final year.  When Utah and Oregon State ran through then like a hot knife through butter.  They looked the same.  Obviously, I'm pretty disgusted with the players that performed the way they did those two years, because I won't excuse the poor performance.  It was that horrible.  

• Applause 1

Last years D wasn't good at all. I did expect more as thats Lanning's wheel house. The D line and backers were slow and we must have been the easiest team in the nation to convert 3rd downs on us. 

I would hope we see a huge improvement this year and are in the top 30 or so D in the nation. Anything like last year is not a good sign.