Desert Duck

Caleb Williams - Out Rest of Season?

Not sure if this has already been covered, but there actually is talk going on that now that USC's season is officially in the el-crapper, should Williams just call it a season and sit out the rest of the year. 

The thing I absolutely love about this discussion, regardless of the outcome, is how it completely encapsulates and underscores how the wheels have totally blown off the USC season --- right in time for them to enter the B1G.

How sweet it is. 

WWW.MSN.COM

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1

If he did that I think a lot of NFL GMs are going to seriously question his work ethic.  His draft stock would tank.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

If he quits, his NIL deal should tank as well. He is already in national commercials, so that won't stop, but they might if there is bad juju heading his way.

If it's "pay for play", it should be "no pay for no play".

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I mentioned it in another thread but didn't link anything... I've heard this is a possibility but no clue how serious it all is. Is it just people talking or is he seriously considering it? 

I suspect it's more the former. 

NFL GMs haven't been turned off by players skipping bowl games. But skipping almost half a season when they could still make the conference championship if they win out is a different story. 

But.. It would make for a dangerous president if a player ditches their team because they can't make the playoff and are still drafted high in the NFL draft. 

That would be a new level of insanity. Opting not to play a bowl game is one thing... Even though players are opting to skip any non-playoff NY6 game feels insane too now. 

But skipping over a third of the season.. that would be crazy. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Quitting on one's team is certainly not likely to be favorably received by NFL GMs. And what of Caleb's comment that he'd return to USC if he didn't like who drafted him. I am not sure under those circumstances that his USC teammates would be all that that thrilled to have a quitter back.

He's not going anywhere I'd guess.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

So this Caleb Williams quitting on U$C story is being peddled by that Fox Sports tool Emmanuel Acho. He was one of the self professed 'experts' that claimed Justin Herbert was going to be an NFL bust. Same general class of sports 'commentator' as Skip Bayless. Has a big splash of inflammatory hyperbole with his corn flakes every morning.

Acho is being blasted by more reputable sports analysts like Josh Pate, Doug Gottlieb and Paul Feinbaum for this take. There is no way on this green earth that Williams bails on his teammates, coach, NIL deals and NFL draft scouts' assessments over the Trojenz tanking season. What pro GM would take that chance and draft him?

This is a great big nothingburger. U$C may stay true to form and dumpster fire their 2023 season, but Williams won't put his future at risk by quitting.

He will bring his A game to Autzen next month.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Here is that article you all were mentioning:

College Football Analyst Suggests Caleb Williams Should Sit Out Rest Of USC's Season

With their loss to Utah, the USC Trojans have been knocked out of playoff contention

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-football-analyst-suggests-caleb-williams-should-sit-out-rest-of-uscs-season

Not a bad idea, seeing how he will be an NFL owner after being drafted, per his demand. He needs to start planning how he is going to run a franchise, lead a team, and continue his advertising jobs. 

There really isn't much time to play qb at sc when you have all of that ahead of you, or not!

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, come bowl season when sc will be less relevant, don't plan on seeing him in a bowl game.

Personally, I'm ok with all future pros sitting unless it is a playoff game.

It would be up to the NIL puppet Masters to add bonuses for bowl appearances.

On 10/24/2023 at 7:30 AM, Steven A said:

Well, come bowl season when sc will be less relevant, don't plan on seeing him in a bowl game.

Personally, I'm ok with all future pros sitting unless it is a playoff game.

It would be up to the NIL puppet Masters to add bonuses for bowl appearances.

Personally as a fan... Players sitting out is one of the things that outright ruins bowl season. 

Expanding the playoff will put a slight bandage on this problem but it won't fix it. 

I think bowl games need to to incetivize star players to play. It's probably where that NIL money comes in and I don't know... Pay more to the winner maybe? Really get them to have some skin in the game.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/24/2023 at 7:41 AM, David Marsh said:

Personally as a fan... Players sitting out is one of the things that outright ruins bowl season. 

Once the expanded playoff format begins, I'd expect an NIt type next level playoff to appear. Having the top 12-16 play plus the next 12-16 teams playing gives you up to 24-32 teams in playoff games. Bowls have become meaningless but playoffs are where legends are made and pro scouts can see what players are made of in pressure situations.

Professional NFL teams and players make more for playing in the playoffs. Up to this point only programs made more for playing in bowl game, basically playoffs.

In the future players in college football will need to get some of the money. They already get gift bags, but that won't cut it going forward with NIL already opening the $ train.

Last years Cheez-It Bowl the players got about $400 worth of stuff, and all the boxes of Cheez-It's they could grab. In the coming years they will be grabbing more than boxes of crackers.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/23/2023 at 10:08 PM, David Marsh said:

I mentioned it in another thread but didn't link anything... I've heard this is a possibility but no clue how serious it all is. Is it just people talking or is he seriously considering it? 

I suspect it's more the former. 

NFL GMs haven't been turned off by players skipping bowl games. But skipping almost half a season when they could still make the conference championship if they win out is a different story. 

But.. It would make for a dangerous president if a player ditches their team because they can't make the playoff and are still drafted high in the NFL draft. 

That would be a new level of insanity. Opting not to play a bowl game is one thing... Even though players are opting to skip any non-playoff NY6 game feels insane too now. 

But skipping over a third of the season.. that would be crazy. 

This story is a whole bunch of nothing.

Clickbait. And I clicked.

Sucker!

• Applause 1

The only upside for college football of a player of William’s importance quitting is the outrage it would cause, leading to a more decisive review and overhaul of NIL and the rules governing the transfer portal.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Fansville curse.

Ironic that Williams appears in a Fansville advertisement in which a fan worries about Caleb being cursed.

Fansville jinxed DJU and now Williams. But Williams is getting a lot more jinx help from his head coach than from The Boz.

Sit out? This would doom any shot at being the 1st round pick.

Frankly, I'd say the likelihood of Williams bailing out on the season is about 0%.

But what I like about this story, and the ones talking about Riley potentially dumping USC for an NFL job, it that it all further underscores the craphole program, and disarray, known as USC football.

They are also getting eaten alive by much of the So Cal media. All on the eve of their 'triumphant' move to the B1G. 

Admittedly, perhaps I am taking to much pleasure from this. But, IMHO, it couldn't be happening to a more deserving, and arrogant, program. 

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

First item of business- Acho talks a lot and says very little.  Clicks vs substance (hmmm, seems I have heard that one before 😉)

USC seems to be in a world of hurt with football right now.  The post game episode with none of the players showing up and Riley blaming the officials was a really bad look.  Caleb sitting on the bench and not exchanging post game handshakes was bad.  I hope DL does not allow that sort of thing. 

The AD who spent big money on LR is gone under rather messy circumstances but that's a discussion for another day (remember the pronouncement of said AD that the LR hire would change the landscape of college football?) and now Jen Cohen has this mess to clean up. 

LR also has a big decision to make soon and that is what does he do with Alex Grinch.  Grinch is his buddy and let's be honest no one likes to fire their buddy but he may have to.

Like Mr. Fischer, I never said I was noble.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/24/2023 at 3:01 PM, Augduck said:

First item of business- Acho talks a lot and says very little.  Clicks vs substance (hmmm, seems I have heard that one before 😉)

USC seems to be in a world of hurt with football right now.  The post game episode with none of the players showing up and Riley blaming the officials was a really bad look.  Caleb sitting on the bench and not exchanging post game handshakes was bad.  I hope DL does not allow that sort of thing. 

The AD who spent big money on LR is gone under rather messy circumstances but that's a discussion for another day (remember the pronouncement of said AD that the LR hire would change the landscape of college football?) and now Jen Cohen has this mess to clean up. 

LR also has a big decision to make soon and that is what does he do with Alex Grinch.  Grinch is his buddy and let's be honest no one likes to fire their buddy but he may have to.

Like Mr. Fischer, I never said I was noble.

Jen, great hire with DeBoer. But she also made the Jimmy Lake mistake by the lake.

I understand that Jimmy is now working for the SAT Board of Directors. 

• Haha 2

seriously guys..  dont run with something so ridiculous

He would never shut down on Lincoln Riley..

• Haha 1

On 10/24/2023 at 12:31 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Jen, great hire with DeBoer. But she also made the Jimmy Lake mistake by the lake.

I understand that Jimmy is now working for the SAT Board of Directors. 

Cuz, um, he's all about the academic prowess...

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/24/2023 at 11:17 AM, Desert Duck said:

But what I like about this story, and the ones talking about Riley potentially dumping USC for an NFL job, it that it all further underscores the craphole program, and disarray, known as USC football.

They are also getting eaten alive by much of the So Cal media. All on the eve of their 'triumphant' move to the B1G. 

Admittedly, perhaps I am taking to much pleasure from this. But, IMHO, it couldn't be happening to a more deserving, and arrogant, program. 

Can the B1G revisit the LA schools’ media shares? Perhaps re-spread it to more deserving programs like Oregon and Washington?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Caleb was probably upset at blowing any shot at a Heisman repeat via his poor showings recently, most notably against Notre Dame. He also is likely frustrated with SC's pathetic defense and his O Line's inability to pass protect. He's getting hammered frequently. Thirdly, USC is out of the CFP, so no title shot for Caleb.

I'm betting he plays in all remaining games.  

I've previously said that Caleb is the most dangerous scorer in CFB. Lots of talent in that kid.

But he lacks the maturity we see in countless others players at this level. I'm no therapist but he wears his emotions on his sleeve and without self-control he's apt to follow those emotions into all kinds of trouble, not just on the field but off it.

If I were an NFL GM I'd stay away.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/24/2023 at 3:24 PM, tee duke said:

he wears his emotions on his sleeve

If I were an NFL GM I'd stay away.

2 data points to support your great assertion:

- He sharpied “FUDGE UTAH” (hint, not fudge) on his fingernails for last year’s pac championship. It was prominent enough that I saw it a bunch of times throughout the game. It was not even clever—just pure vulgarity.

- After he was sacked for a safety against Tulane, he sat pouting on the sidelines and didn’t even watch his defense get rolled for the loss.

I don’t care how dangerous a scorer you are, if you’re a snot, you’re bad for business.

That Riley coddles this behavior just further proves Riley is not a serious person.

• Applause 1

While I’m riding the Williams hate train, I posit that all of his snottiness was on display last year, and the sports media crowned him the-best-player-in-football anyway.

It further proves the sports media’s superficiality and why so many Heisman winners flunk out of the NFL.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/24/2023 at 12:01 PM, Augduck said:

no one likes to fire their buddy but he may have to.

Chip finally did with Coach Azzaniro and look where his D is now.  Hopefully Riley continues to be a slow learner.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/24/2023 at 8:24 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

What's an 'Acho'?

Bless you!

• Thumbs Up 1

Caleb Williams Announces Decision On Season Amid 'Sit Out' Talk

USC is likely out of the College Football Playoff picture after their second loss of the season last weekend, but Caleb Williams is staying the course.

The star quarterback says that he's committed to seeing the rest of the season out, even if it doesn't result in the national championship goal the Trojans set for themselves at the beginning of the year.

To access the article for more details from Williams, click here.

USC quarterback Caleb Williams vows to 'keep fighting on' after Utah defeat

USC's 34-32 loss to Utah gave the Trojans their second defeat of the year.

247SPORTS.COM

USC's 34-32 loss to Utah gave the Trojans their second defeat of the year.