Charles Fischer

The Disrespect for the Beavers Never Ends...

It is bad enough to have the worst brand in the conference, where NOBODY among any of the Power-5 conferences want you. (Even at a massive Stanford/Cal discount) But your huge highly ranked matchup with Washington...(which should be a shoe-in for ESPN GameDay coming to Corvallis) is ignored? To go to James Madison instead?  Whew!

• Yikes! 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Beavs in Corvallis are prime (not Deion prime) for a great win!  I just have a hard time seeing dub playing another close game and winning at Reser.  Think the "good fortune" tank is running on empty.

• Thumbs Up 1

Beavers have never been disrespected by THIS fan.

• Thumbs Up 4

Beaves have spent the past decade being a crappy program. Respect is earned not just granted because your better than average for a season, imo.

Ducks don't get much respect either. Untill they win a NC, this will continue. Untill then, Ducks will always be that cute team in Eugene with the uni's. All while the UGA, Bama, tOSUs of the world win titles.

Don't believe me? Look at the pre-season ranking of USC and ND every year. Thats respect, misguided or not 

• Thumbs Up 3

I look at this from a broader lens and see it as a not only a disrespect to the Beavs, but to Washington, and ENTIRE Pac-12.  

This is the final year of the Pac-12 as it currently is configured, with a CFP contender (Washington), a potential Pac-12 Championship contender in OSU in the final year.

Now, I've not been one to embrace conspiracy theories at every turn but I am dabbling in one here.  James Madison???  When a potential berth in the CFP and conference championship is on the line?

Does anyone of us think that if this were an SEC/Big10 matchup that Gameday would ignore it?  I don't.

The writing is on on the wall for one of the media darlings (Alabama, Michigan/Ohio State, Texas, FSU) to be left out of the playoff if the Pac-12 continues to be ranked and relevant.    

My tinfoil hat is around here somewhere....

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 9:16 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

I look at this from a broader lens and see it as a not only a disrespect to the Beavs, but to Washington, and ENTIRE Pac-12.  

This is the final year of the Pac-12 as it currently is configured, with a CFP contender (Washington), a potential Pac-12 Championship contender in OSU in the final year.

Now, I've not been one to embrace conspiracy theories at every turn but I am dabbling in one here.  James Madison???  When a potential berth in the CFP and conference championship is on the line?

My Duck-Brother, I think your reasoning is quite sound. It is such a shame, and the crazy part is… I do think the Oregon State game will get more eyeballs than James Madison, which makes it even more crazy.

It goes to show how going to the Big Ten is going to prevent those kinds of episodes from happening to OBD. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Because #5 in a road game at #12 isn’t all that interesting (conference championship implications make it even less so).

The last two weeks of the PAC as we know it are going to be insane, must watch football (especially if UW loses and the Ducks win at ASU)

The Beavs just might boat race the mutts next week. Wouldn’t bet against it for sure.

• Yikes! 1

On 11/12/2023 at 9:43 AM, Just Ducky said:

The Beavs just might boat race the mutts next week. Wouldn’t bet against it for sure.

But I'd say Oregon State has a better defense than most of their recent boat races. 

On 11/12/2023 at 12:40 PM, CalBear95 said:

Because #5 in a road game at #12 isn’t all that interesting (conference championship implications make it even less so).

The last two weeks of the PAC as we know it are going to be insane, must watch football (especially if UW loses and the Ducks win at ASU)

On Tuesday night, it could be #4 at #10. Kind of like #9 Ole Miss at #2 UGA in Athens on Saturday?

ESPN does not want McAfee and Corso to face the invective in Corvallis. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/12/2023 at 1:18 PM, David Marsh said:

But I'd say Oregon State has a better defense than most of their recent boat races. 

The UW D stood up in the 2nd half vs. Utah.

There is no way OSU blows out (if that's what 'boat race' means) UW.

I have attended several boat races. Many were too close to call. And if UW is good at anything, it's good at boat racing.

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1

On 11/12/2023 at 10:29 AM, Jon Joseph said:

The UW D stood up in the 2nd half vs. Utah.

There is no way OSU blows out (if that's what 'boat race' means) UW.

I have attended several boat races. Many were too close to call. And if UW is good at anything, it's good at boat racing.

But I do feel OSU has a better offense when it comes to QB play. Washington made some half time changes that were pretty good and Utah's offense just ran out of steam. 

Utah is pretty one dimensional right now without a dynamic quarterback. Oregon State has two better options at QB... So we'll have to see. 

Right now I feel it is too close to call. 

It's also an away game for Washington against a team that probably hates them just a shade less than they hate Oregon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see an potential boat race happening unless the Beavitch D somehow breaks Michael Penix prior to the end of the second quarter.

This is what happens when you don't cultivate your brand and that train left the station for OS 15 years ago.  

• Thumbs Up 1

It's more a dis on the Pac12 and an attempt to placate the G-5 schools not getting serious attention in playoff voting.

Espn doesn't have to worry about an unhappy Pac12, and they don't want to bring any more attention to it then necessary. 

Educated fans will find the game and viewership will be high. ABC and parent Disney will be happy enough. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Beavers are ranked 10th----the highest two loss team.  That seems pretty darned respectful.   

• Thumbs Up 5

On 11/12/2023 at 8:56 AM, Jon Sousa said:

Beavers have never been disrespected by THIS fan.

Neither by me.  I see the Beavers are currently favored slightly (-1) over UW.  As much as I dislike the Huskies, I gotta hope they beat the Beavers this go-round for Oregon's sake should both UW and O meet in the title game.  Sorry Beavers, it's business.

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

I’ll say it again, I will never root for the mutts. Period.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/12/2023 at 11:08 AM, Augduck said:

This is what happens when you don't cultivate your brand and that train left the station for OS 15 years ago

They should have done so when they had Erickson as their coach in 2000! They should have delved into NIL when it was allowed. They should have expanded their stadium with the money they received from the conference years ago. They should have done a LOT of things but whine and complain about Uncle Phil money. What they've done was go all in on sports that generate little to no revenue.

They're not wanted by other conferences because they have no media footprint and not a single big conference is willing to share the monies with that kind of member.

Say what you will about Nike. Phil knows about marketing and hiring good marketers. I'm glad we have Knight as an alumni over the  Resers.

GO DUCKS.

• Applause 1

Interesting observation college game day is a slap in the face for the whole conference, not just the rodents and the mutts.

It is also an indicator the Ducks better win out and win handily or the voters will find a way to leave out our Ducks. We need an undefeated team to play and thoroughly trounce in Vegas. That may be the only way to get to the playoffs.

We also need to get by the beavs, which we will see how easy that will be this weekend.

For us I hope it is a stat padding weekend and some more playing time for Ty.

• Thumbs Up 3

Josh Pate will be in Corn-valis. So thats respect from someone who is actually legit. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I didn't see the ASU-UCLA game Saturday but I know I was darned surprised to see the final score.  Kenny's getting the ship righted so quickly?  Or UCLA is withering on the vine?  Or both?   It was even more remarkable in that the game was in Pasadena and not the desert. 

The Beavers have the ultimate DAM payback in hand and if it happens, it will happen on the field and not in front of a state of Washington judge.

Maybe it's just me, but I just don't get the hype that Gameday gets.   I've said it before,  I think the the formula is old and tired.  I get the students like it but other than that I just don't don't see the big deal.  I honestly think they added McAfee because they knew it was getting stale and I'm not sure that he adds anything more than bluster.   My $.02 opinion.

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 3

No excuse, but the GameDay producer went to JMU. One reason ESPN is back at JMU for the 2nd time.

Plus, a chance for ESPN to dump on the NCAA for not having JMU bowl-eligible this season. 

JMU is undefeated. Unless the NCAA comes to (finds?) its senses a 5L team will go bowling and not JMU.

It's more than time for P4 CFB to leave the NCAA behind. An entity that has nothing to do with the CFB playoff except to bench guys for smoking dope.

I agree with many of the above GameDay comments. Go to 2 hours and lose McAfee and his FG contest. 

And Jen Lada? 

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I haven't read all of this thread so SIAP. But...aren't weird things known to come down in Corvallis., I do know about the infamous mud bowl in which the Beaves upset undefeated and #1 USC and O.J. Simpson. I also painfully remember a certain team we all love giving up a big lead in the 4th Quarter to fall there only last year. 

Could OSU upset the visiting Fuskies on Saturday. Absolutely! Do I expect it to happen?  Not likely IMHO.

On 11/13/2023 at 10:27 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

Could OSU upset the visiting Fuskies on Saturday. Absolutely! Do I expect it to happen?  Not likely IMHO.

Oregon State is currently a 2 point favorite, for what it is worth.

OBD general priorities:

#1: Oregon wins out and gets to the CFP

#2: Fusky loses 

#3: Beavus loses 

Priorities #2 and #3 can't both happen Saturday. In order to maximize #1, it's better if we accept #3. Penix and Fusky O lighting up Beavus D has the added benefit of exposing what Oregon can do the following week in the CW.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 11/14/2023 at 2:05 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Penix and Fusky O lighting up Beavus D

I feel this game will look more like the game Washington played against Utah in honesty. Close throughout, sure Washington shutout the Utes in the second half but they didn't secure a win until the very end of it all.

The beavers are going to fight hard. Washington has little depth and it's been showing as the season progresses. Oregon really punched them in the mouth and they haven't recovered from it fully. 

November is so though to keep the team healthy. 

We saw Nix reduce his running against USC. Probably in part because he didn't need to run it and because it's probably about preserving his body as well. 

On 11/14/2023 at 2:05 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

OBD general priorities:

#1: Oregon wins out and gets to the CFP

#2: Fusky loses 

#3: Beavus loses 

Priorities #2 and #3 can't both happen Saturday. In order to maximize #1, it's better if we accept #3. Penix and Fusky O lighting up Beavus D has the added benefit of exposing what Oregon can do the following week in the CW.

Yep, not to mention if the rodents lose, and OBD wins, we clinch the Pac12 championship game regardless of CW.  It will be a much more relaxing Black Friday! 😀  So go dawgs... ouch that hurts, lol.

• Cool 1

OSU at home - Beavs are favored

55-7 – UC Davis

26-9 – San Diego St

21-7 – Utah

36-24 – UCLA

62-17 – Stanford

Fuskies on the road

41-7 – Michigan St

31-24 – Arizona

42-33 – Stanford

52-42 - USC

On 11/14/2023 at 1:23 AM, ElPatoUO said:

Oregon State is currently a 2 point favorite, for what it is worth.

It's worth this: the odds makers are seldom very wrong.  Home field is usually worth about 3 points. The 2 points is about a toss-up.  Even the odds makers aren't certain how this will end.  I'd stay away from this one if I was a betting man.  

My guess his OSU wins it taking some of the luster off the Conference Championship game.  Just like the Beavs to do this - just to spite Oregon.  btw, the Beavers are not out of winning the Conference yet.  Comes down to these last 2 games for Oregon & OSU.

Oregon State is in the same league as Iowa State, and Washington State. I was gonna say Oklahoma State and Kansas State as well, but those two have stacked good years together. Let's just be real here. Oklahoma, Iowa, Oregon, and Washington will never feel like their state brethren is anywhere near their level. Oklahoma left their "brothers", Iowa surely wouldn't vouch for Iowa State to get into the B1G. Oregon State has had a good two year run. Ranked tenth, they could ruin the season of Oregon if the Ducks aren't careful.

But they lost two games to teams they shouldn't have beaten. If they were undefeated right now, GameDay would be in Corvallis. But they gotta do the thing where they say GameDay is for everybody, even James Madison.

On 11/12/2023 at 9:57 AM, Charles Fischer said:

It is bad enough to have the worst brand in the conference, where NOBODY among any of the Power-5 conferences want you. (Even at a massive Stanford/Cal discount) But your huge highly ranked matchup with Washington...(which should be a shoe-in for ESPN GameDay coming to Corvallis) is ignored? To go to James Madison instead?  Whew!

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I realize: That wasn't oversight. That was INTENTIONAL. ESPN is purposely doing that to avoid facing the music regarding their role in the demise of an entire conference.

You'd think they throw the Oregon State fanbase a bone and give those fans an experience they deserve.

Instead, they get a completely unnecessary slap in the face.

Pathetic.

It is ESPN versus Fox..,

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

I think this is just a case of game day having already covered some big pac 12 games this year. In fact more than normal. They often later in the year throw a bone to a big fcs game between undefeateds. 

On 11/12/2023 at 9:40 AM, CalBear95 said:

Because #5 in a road game at #12 isn’t all that interesting

By which logic you have to scratch your head at ESPN’s Game Day choice of a #18 against a non top 25 team.

On 11/16/2023 at 4:27 PM, Washington Waddler said:

By which logic you have to scratch your head at ESPN’s Game Day choice of a #18 against a non top 25 team.

Do you suppose ESPN might be asking the CGD panelists where they'd rather go: Corvallis, Or. or Harrisonburg, Virginia in November?  I wouldn't be totally surprised to learn the panelists have a pretty big influence on where Home Depot sets up next.  

Congratulations to James Madison, by the way.  They're having a terrific season.

Edited by Mic

Friend Gat, played today WSU would not defeat OSU

But Arizona controlled the game in Tucson. IMO, OSU should not have won that game.