FishDuck Article

Lincoln Riley is a Perfect Fit for USC and That’s Their Problem

It has been absolutely delightful as Duck fans to watch USC’s problems, not only this year but over more than a decade at this point. For the record, Oregon fans are not jealous of what USC has or had, because we are on our own journey. We simply take great pleasure in watching USC’s downfall and struggles. And perhaps our ...

FISHDUCK.COM

It has been absolutely delightful as Duck fans to watch USC's problems, not only this year but over more than a decade at this point. For the record…
  • Thanks 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

USWho?

• Thumbs Up 1

You had me at the title, and then kept it up, beautiful article. You also made a great case for a reason why the trojans and few truly elite programs can pick their next great coach.

Programs want perfect, and then expect perfection. Anything less and the program has been wronged, deserve better. 

At Oregon we have long turned losers into winners, and nobodies into legends. We revere our coaches, and although our programs culture must be respected, we accept, those without pedigree, want that over someone with pomposity.

This is why we looked at Wilcox, and accepted Lanning with open arms. We want the guy who grows into being the Oregon coach, isn't the perfect guy already.

While the sc fans already think they deserve better, you are right Mr. Marsh, they got just what they deserved. They destroyed the Pac-12, now they are living through further destruction of their delusional view of their once proud program. 

Pretty soon the trojan program, like the Trojan War, will become mythology and questioned. I suppose some already has with the Reggie Bush situation. The bigger news is it is time to move on, as history already has, Oregon is the new real deal.

The spoiled children can keep looking for Troy, talking about Helen, and trying to hire, build the next great trojan horse, but that is in the past, and maybe never really was.

• Thumbs Up 1

This article can also apply to TAMU. 

It was mostly written by the time Jimbo Fisher was fired but I wasn't going back to make it bloated, especially when we don't have much of a relationship with TAMU as Duck fans. 

This will also probably be the case for Bama once Saban leaves. Georgia had this problem for decades until they hired Kirby Smart and most importantly stuck with him for a few bad years (by their standard) and let him work. 

I love watching Trojan fans squirm these days. They'll be a good program but probably not great until Riley figures our defense... Or more probable he leaves for the NFL and the start the process all over again.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

IMHO usuc is headed for really hard times. I would think that Williams will go pro next year and ucla will have a better qb and a much better defense and dominate the Trojans under chip. 

Riley will probably be gone in the next couple years as an OC in the nfl and so will usucs winning seasons.

David, timely article a great analysis.

I remember the usc AD at the time was so excited and over the top about the Riley hire. Riley would rescue usc football.........

The dilusional usc fan and elitist trojan administration had their man. Flashy for sure.....Williams was the icing on the cake.

It was all an illusiona in a town built on fantasy and illusion. The illusion continued in 2022, especially in a soft PAC 12 and the Ducks and huskies absent from the trojans schedule.

Alas, the Utes shattered the glass of illusion in 2022. The Trojans blamed the refs, Oregon and PK..

Riley was touted for bringing in portal transfers to fix the D. The hype machine was back in action.

2023 would be the year.

However, Riley and his staff cannot win without a few things....

Depth

Players that fit

Assistants who can coach

Substance

No amount of delusional hype will beat tOSU, Michigan, PSU, Oregon and uw. The trojans must build what DL is building now.

It's so much fun to see the trojans reap what they sow....

Go Ducks....beat ASU

• Thumbs Up 4

Of course you know David, that I lapped up every word of your article, and savored every sweet tingle I received as I read it.  No love from me for the Trojans!

Trying to emerge again USC?

Here, let me help...

giphy.gif

• Haha 5
  • Mic drop 1

Mr. FishDuck

Third time was the charm for us and truth be told, as previously pointed out, we dodged a nuclear bullet when Wilcox turned us down.

However, a couple of points . . .

AtM has just set the usc bar on eating contracts, and

At the beginning of the year the only mystery was which semi-final CFP game usc would be in.  Now, it whether to reserve a Motel 6 room in El Paso or beg a relative for a cot for the LA Bowl as long as they don't have a usc sticker on their car.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

SUC: Next years champs, this years chumps. Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat.

• Haha 4
  • Applause 1

On 11/14/2023 at 7:38 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Of course you know David, that I lapped up every word of your article, and savored every sweet tingle I received as I read it.  No love from me for the Trojans!

Trying to emerge again USC?

Here, let me help...

giphy.gif

Now that's a put down of epic proportions...

Great article, David

I love your stuff……so well thought out and stated

You are such a great asset to this board.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks again, David, great take.

TAMU - 1 Natty - 1939. Last conference title - 1998 - #1 in dead money and delusional fans.

Did A+M powers-that-be watch Oregon pants Jimbo, Jameis, and undefeated FSU in 2014? Did the Miami powers-that-be watch Mario's game-day coaching?

Like the 3rd marriage, these hires were hope triumphing over experience.  

USC - The AD who hired Riley is gone for improper conduct. What Riley had going for him in 2022 that he did not have in 2023. No OREGON and UW on the schedule. 

Any HC in America with a clue would have fired Grinch after the Pac-12 champ game and Cotton Bowl flameouts. For some reason, after going 0-3 in the PO and watching the USC D underperform in 2022, Riley believes that putting up points is the way to win championships. 

Another difference between Pete Carroll and Riley is Pete's ability to recruit. Based on brand, location, yada yada, Riley should be recruiting at a much better clip. (Although, he is doing better than cross-town Chip.)

Caleb Williams is off to the League next season and most likely will not play in this season's Sun or Las Vegas Bowl. OK, maybe the Holiday Bowl. Recruits on both sides of the LOS are not signing on with Riley. I am much more optimistic regarding OREGON's transition to the B1G than I am about SC being an immediate competitor for B1G titles. 

Flash does not beat hard work. I agree David, with your take but this was a flash thrown at CFB's #1 Flash Man: "They're fighting for clicks, we're fighting for wins!"

GO DUCKS! BEAT THE DEVILS!

BTW, Oregon State is -2.5 versus UW. Penix did not have a great game versus OSU in Seattle last season. But I do not see DJU taking down a Penix-led team. 

BTW2 - Oregon State is -25 in today's game being played in Washington state court.

• Thumbs Up 2

USC used to rule the west coast.

Back when they could stock up on talent, and pay players with cash and cars.

But with scholarship limits and now NIL, the playing field is more level and they can't keep up.

In a town led by Hollywood celebs, a flashy coach is highly desirable, and they got exactly what they wanted.

One note of comparison:

Riley's first house in LA, a $7M Malibu beach house.

Lanning's first house, a simple 4br with a big yard that he uses to entertain players, regularly. 

One fits the bling of big city lights, the other matches his words with his style, family and hard work.

You are spot on David, Lincoln is the perfect fit for LA.

As for the B1G, tOSU, UM, PSU, UW, and ourselves are perennial losses for them and throw in occasional upsets by Wisconsin, Minn.,or Illinois and the future is far from bright for the condoms.

Edited by DanLduck
Spell error
  • Thumbs Up 2

Lincoln Riley needs to learn a lesson from Jimbo and jump to the NFL or A&M. The jig is up for Jimbo but Riley still has a chance to stay out in front of his ruse. 

Btw, I think it's very interesting how MSU and Texas A&M, 2 of the first schools to hand out 10 yr, $100M contracts, are now both without coaches less than half way through the contract!

This does not bode well for L Riley. He too has a 10 yr $$$ contract.

We shall see.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/14/2023 at 12:09 PM, DanLduck said:

USC used to rule the west coast.

Back when they could stock up on talent, and pay players with cash and cars.

But with scholarship limits and now NIL, the playing field is more level and they can't keep up.

In a town led by Hollywood celebs, a flashy coach is highly desirable, and they got exactly what they wanted.

One note of comparison:

Riley's first house in LA, a $7M Malibu beach house.

Lanning's first house, a simple 4br with a big yard that he uses to entertain players, regularly. 

One fits the bling of big city lights, the other matches his words with his style, family and hard work.

You are spot on David, Lincoln is the perfect fit for LA.

As for the B1G, tOSU, UM, PSU, UW, and ourselves are perennial losses for them and throw in occasional upsets by Wisconsin, Minn.,or Illinois and the future is far from bright for the condoms.

I find it shocking that Riley's house is in Malibu. That's about a 2-3 hour drive each way to the USC campus in typical bad LA traffic. Even worse with I10 shut down. Every time he goes home he is falling behind other teams' coaches in work time.

I'd have to think that during the season he simply never goes home. But if he indeed does, OMG.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 12:42 PM, Solar said:

I find it shocking that Riley's house is in Malibu. That's about a 2-3 hour drive each way to the USC campus in typical bad LA traffic. Even worse with I10 shut down. Every time he goes home he is falling behind other teams' coaches in work time.

I'd have to think that during the season he simply never goes home. But if he indeed does, OMG.

Maybe he's gets helicoptered in-and-out of Malibu. Wouldn't be the dumbest money USC has ever spent.

On 11/14/2023 at 10:43 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Did A+M powers-that-be watch Oregon pants Jimbo, Jameis, and undefeated FSU in 2014?

That's a whole other article... Oregon's win was a major part of Jimbo's downfall. The Ducks pulled the curtain back on the FSU opportation and started to unravel the culture there. 

And Jimbo jumped ship and shocker ... Didn't transform TAMU because he didn't truly change the culture there either. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 12:50 PM, anyotherduck said:

Maybe he's gets helicoptered in-and-out of Malibu. Wouldn't be the dumbest money USC has ever spent.

Or he has a driver. 

So much of recruiting is done on a phone these days. 

Not so much the phone phone but the mobile computer we call a phone. 

No elite program stays that way without having to survive periodic hard times. The difference between USC and many other blue bloods is found in how they approach, and what they do during those periods. 

Those that find their way back to the top do so with a hard, self-critical reinvention of themselves, as opposed to the Trojans who avoid looking in the mirror, and settling for make-over after make-over (Helton being a temporary exception). 

It’s tough, long term work that requires letting go of the past in order to get a program back on track.

The most successful at making this transition are typically found in smaller, university-centered communties where a lack of distractions make them the only game in town — neither condition of which describes where and how USC operates. 

There was a time when USC knew how to do the hard work. But not now. Now they just seem mesmerized by the Hollywood mystique of replacing reality with fantasy; substance with image.

Yes. You reap what you’ve sowed.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/14/2023 at 12:42 PM, Solar said:

find it shocking that Riley's house is in Malibu

Riley’s house is in Palos Verdes, which is still an hour+ commute most of the time, but not as bad as Malibu to U$C.

But Palos Verdes is even more uptight and exclusive than Malibu.

I guarantee Riley has never hosted his players there.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/14/2023 at 12:24 PM, DanLduck said:

Btw, I think it's very interesting how MSU and Texas A&M, 2 of the first schools to hand out 10 yr, $100M contracts, are now both without coaches less than half way through the contract!

Interesting point. 

Those teams opted to go all in on their coaching hires. AtM boosters are now banking on the next coach to resurrect their program. AtM invested stupid amounts of NIL money on recruits and figured that was going to be the short cut to success. 

Actually glad that “buying” a team has failed.

Money doesn’t buy happiness, but it makes being miserable easier. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/14/2023 at 2:18 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

Riley’s house is in Palos Verdes, which is still an hour+ commute most of the time, but not as bad as Malibu to U$C.

But Palos Verdes is even more uptight and exclusive than Malibu.

I guarantee Riley has never hosted his players there.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jon Gold: Burn, Hollywood, burn -- how it all went so wrong in La-La Land

For those with a zip code that doesn’t start and end with 90210, the death of the dreams of 2 once-proud college football programs might be a bit of a surprise.

After all, USC entered this season with sky-high expectations while UCLA was coming off its best season in years.

The Trojans have the returning Heisman winner, for Heaven’s sake! The Bruins had a star-studded defense and a new 5-star quarterback primed to take over.

They also had coaches stuck in their ways. In the end, the stubbornness and misguided loyalty of both USC’s Lincoln Riley and UCLA’s Chip Kelly proved to be fatal flaws.

And now where are we? USC has lost 4-of-5 heading into its regular-season finale. UCLA has fallen in consecutive weeks to scorching Arizona and slumping Arizona State.

Both of their seasons? Massive disappointments...

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

The death of the dreams of Los Angeles' 2 once-proud football teams might be a bit of a surprise, but not if you've been paying...

This just in, Riley takes the A&M job! 

Just kidding.

But wouldn't that be funny?

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

WWW.DAILYBREEZE.COM

The seven-bedroom, 13,032-square-foot home sits behind gates on more than 3 acres in the Lunada Bay/Margate neighborhood.

That's in another tax bracket than $7 million, but point stands... All flash, and no bang for their buck so far, on this USC hire.

My question is When do blue bloods stop being blue bloods?

On 11/15/2023 at 3:26 PM, Duckman60 said:

When they don't have the boosters to enable them to keep up with the rest of the blue bloods. 

There is a reason why the TAMU job is covered... It's got massive resources behind it. I'd say they're a blue blood program even though they haven't won anything significant for quite some time. 

Same goes for Texas and USC and any other traditional blue blood that's been down. If they have the money and the history they're a blue blood. 

Oregon is new money but we don't have the football history yet. 

On 11/15/2023 at 6:33 PM, David Marsh said:

When they don't have the boosters to enable them to keep up with the rest of the blue bloods. 

There is a reason why the TAMU job is covered... It's got massive resources behind it. I'd say they're a blue blood program even though they haven't won anything significant for quite some time. 

Same goes for Texas and USC and any other traditional blue blood that's been down. If they have the money and the history they're a blue blood. 

Oregon is new money but we don't have the football history yet. 

David, love you, man.

But the last Natty in 1939 and the last conference title in 1998 for A+M, make Oregon more of a blue blood than A+M.

A+M is blue blood only for guys with black oil flowing through their veins. The 12th Man. And the collie on the sidelines. Puddles trumps the A+M dog, and the Husky up north but has yet to trump good-looking UGA.

Texas is a blue blood. Oklahoma is a blue blood. A+M? Not so much except within the minds of A+M fanatics and on occasion, Paul Finebaum.

On 11/14/2023 at 2:18 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

Riley’s house is in Palos Verdes

I don't care where Riley's house is as long as it isn't within "distance" to Eugene.

• Mic drop 1

On 11/15/2023 at 4:24 PM, Jon Joseph said:

David, love you, man.

But the last Natty in 1939 and the last conference title in 1998 for A+M, make Oregon more of a blue blood than A+M.

A+M is blue blood only for guys with black oil flowing through their veins. The 12th Man. And the collie on the sidelines. Puddles trumps the A+M dog, and the Husky up north but has yet to trump good-looking UGA.

Texas is a blue blood. Oklahoma is a blue blood. A+M? Not so much except within the minds of A+M fanatics and on occasion, Paul Finebaum.

Lesser blue blood then? 

The money is certainly there at TAMU. They have the resources to make a big splash in the college football world but they just haven't gotten the hire right. 

If they get the right coach they could be sitting at the top of the SEC and even making runs at the national championship. They have all the resources needed. 

Friend David, the money and fan enthusiasm is there no doubt. However, this team except in the COVID Year of the Witch has done nothing. 

And now old nemesis's OK and TX are joining the fray. A+M had the SEC member recruiting advantage over UT and OK that is now gone.

I see A+M as the Penn State of the B1G.

Great question. Probably when the Lou Holtzs and Paul Feinbaums and other aging poobahs of the college football world are no longer spinning the narratives they created and learned decades ago.

The college football world has changed a lot recently. Those guys, not so much.

• Applause 1

On 11/15/2023 at 5:22 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Friend David, the money and fan enthusiasm is there no doubt. However, this team except in the COVID Year of the Witch has done nothing. 

And now old nemesis's OK and TX are joining the fray. A+M had the SEC member recruiting advantage over UT and OK that is now gone.

I see A+M as the Penn State of the B1G.

I guess it is how do you want to define a blue blood. 

It's one of those funny things that for many or most of them most people are in agreement but we don't know why. 

Texas... Blue blood

Alabama... Blue blood

Ohio State... Blue blood 

Oregon... Not a blue blood 

But is the fridge cases where it gets weird. 

I would say money is certainly a factor. Having won national championships at any point would be a factor. Needing more than one national championship is also important. 

I would say Nebraska was at one point a blue blood. Are they still a blue blood? 

Is USC? 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/16/2023 at 12:26 AM, Duckman60 said:

When they are all bled out. Witness 2023 U$C (and UCLA)

Physiologically, red is the normal color. and blue is the color at the end of the line.

Perfectly happy for Oregon to remain outside of that classification for the foreseeable future.