DrJacksPlaidPants

How to Cook a Steak: I’m Disappointed in Dan Lanning

It should be illegal to cook a steak indoors in a pan on the stovetop. I guess this is what happens when your life is consumed by football and you don’t have time to watch shows like BBQ Pitmasters or The Pioneer Woman to draw inspiration.

• Oh no! 1
  • Yikes! 2
  • Haha 4
  • Mic drop 1
  • Like 1

Slow your roll there…a pan fried steak can blow the doors off one cooked on the BBQ.  

Ever had Onglet or the piece de resistance of pan fried, Steak au Poivre? 

And since you opened the door to this question let’s talk best cuts.  

For me the top 3 are in ascending order:

3) Skirt

2) Ribeye (especially the lip)

1) Hanger 

If you don’t know what Hanger steak is you need to get yourself educated.  It is a blend of the best aspects of Skirt, Ribeye, and Filet.  Easily the best steak on any list, walking away 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Agree to disagree (except on your cuts of meat). Beef tastes better when cooked over natural wood with just sea salt and cracked black pepper. Although, finishing the steak in a cast iron pan with butter is acceptable, but only if the pan is on an open flame. 

If DL continues to cook steaks like that we won’t have to worry about UT or A&M ever trying to lure him away. He won’t be allowed residency in the state of Texas.

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Agree, and if we were headed to the SEC they might rethink allowing our program into the conference. There are many ways to cook a steak, but the only ones that count put marks on the meat! Much like a tackle, the opponent should know you meant it!

Unknown.jpeg

• Cool 1
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

I’ll take a NY Strip on the grill, thank you.

My wife can take a cube steak, fry it in a pan and blow your mind. I don't know how she does it but the woman can cook.

I buy a cow every year. Grass feed with a little corn feed and you get some of the best tasting meat on planet earth. Haven't eaten pink slime in years. Living life the way life was intended. 

20211223_151158.jpg.c8fb7ef9ce50f9ab80cc9b201a7c58e2.jpg20211223_151143.jpg.a3b4485580d2f90f966c616728b489d7.jpg

Edited by Log Haulin
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

There are very few steaks that can be cooked on the stovetop. The fancy French stuff that CalBear brought up and chicken fried steak.

However, pan frying a steak should be a misdemeanor at best. Punishable by a small fine that can be waived in lieu of taking a grilling class.

• Applause 1

I say let the man cook and eat how he wants. When I lived in Virginia most apts, condos, and even single family areas didnt allow outdoor grilling.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, I generally agree... but have you ever tried cooking a steak sous vide and then searing it in a cast iron?

Sous vide is a french method where you vacuum seal food in a bag (with herbs preferably) and then place that bag in water that is being circulated at the exact temperature that you want your food to turn out. 

It sits in that for a while, then you sear it to get a nice crust and you have the juiciest, most delicious steak you will ever have!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ribeye in a pan works just fine. Two tablespoons butter, garlic , and seasonings. Constantly basting the steak with the butter. Not a meat snob and won’t debate anyone on the “best”. 

Many top chefs know how to cook using a pan. Doesn’t mean it’s the best, or worst,  just a way.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/23/2023 at 7:23 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

I say let the man cook and eat how he wants. When I lived in Virginia most apts, condos, and even single family areas didnt allow outdoor grilling.

Wow, I was and am pretty sure that is a constitutional right. The Supreme Court should get involved!

I have heard rumors of such a things, like a football game without a touchdown. If it is true, I don't want to see it, or live in a place where that is thought of as acceptable!

• Like 1

On 12/23/2023 at 7:13 AM, Log Haulin said:

I buy a cow every year. Grass feed with a little corn feed and you get some of the best tasting meat on planet earth. Haven't eaten pink slime in years. Living life the way life was intended. 

Just too much burger. It just my wife and myself. But, I agree that is solid beef.

Obviously you have never fried up fresh venison blackstrap in a cast iron pan,. Not only is it sublimely delicious, the leavings in the pan make the best gravy you will ever taste.

Fresh biscuits, blackstrap and gravy is too die for (at least in this ol’ country boy’s mind,)

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Costco "end cap" steak (it consists of rolling up the outside of a couple ribeyes, much like a skirt steak), can't ruin it.

@DrJacksPlaidPants if you are grilling then absolutely the simpler the better.  

A couple things to suggest (and I’ve done) when cooking steaks.  

Reverse searing and finishing off (i.e., searing) however you like.  

The science on this cooking method is literally undeniable. Keeping the cook within the temperature band that enables a tender and juicy steak for as long as possible cannot be beaten.

Also, for pan, induction is far superior to open flame because the temperature control is insanely accurate.  And if there isn’t a sauce you are making with the pan drippings, butter and aromatics are the way to go (and bear in mind any sauce will have some type of dairy cream so you’re getting it one way or another). 

I used to own a BGE and am definitely a fan of using that to sear off the reverse seared or sous vide steak (the major downside of the latter method is the moisture on the steak’s surface which will rob the heat source of its initial temp as energy is expended to boil it off.  Reverse searing, by contrast, yields a dry surface and immediately initiates the Maillard reaction and optimizes its outcome).  

Total aside, the best Prime Rib of your life is to salt and pepper it 24 hours before cooking, let it dry on a wire rack in the refrigerator, when you want to cook it put it in the freezer and let the first ⅛th inch get to ~36 degrees, pan sear it for texture and then cook it at 275 until about 120/25 internal.  

It works for the very same reason reverse searing does.  All about the staying in that enzyme temp band for as long as possible.  

Do I spend a lot of time on this and the science of cooking?  Yes.  Yes, I do.  

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/23/2023 at 10:23 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

I think I would prefer to live in a van down by the river and use this grill rather than live in a complex that doesn’t allow outdoor grilling.

Keep in mind that this is coming from a guy who hasn’t cooked a holiday meal in the oven in years. Everything is done on the Kamado or smoker. This year it’s a fresh ham. It’s been brining for the past 5 days and it will be ready to smoke on Christmas Day.

IMG_0016.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

On 12/23/2023 at 7:51 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I think I would prefer to live in a van down by the river and use this grill rather than live in a complex that doesn’t allow outdoor grilling.

IMG_0016.jpeg

I believe that is an American Standard, and a fine example of American ingenuity!

• Haha 3

Some of the finest restaurants in the world cook their steak in a pan.

First make sure it's screaming hot then seasoning your steaks right before putting them in the pan. Second make sure you sear the steak forming a nice crust flip and immediately based in butter, garlic and thyme for about 1 minute then finish in the oven till internal temp hits 112. Let rest for 5 minutes, the temp will continue to rise as you let it rest, then serve.

Yes it's a French technique taught all over the world at the finest culinary institutes. That being said do I like a steak cooked over wood, you betcha. The problem is it takes a lot longer to burn the wood down to coals to properly cook with. Then there's your access to properly seasoned wood and the type of wood factor to in. 

I definitely give Dan a pass on this one, although he does need work on his searing technique.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/23/2023 at 11:00 AM, Haywarduck said:

I believe that is an American Standard, and a fine example of American ingenuity!

Exactly! American Standard could put Weber and Igloo out of business in one felled swoop if they weren’t so good at making toilets.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/23/2023 at 6:53 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

If DL continues to cook steaks like that we won’t have to worry about UT or A&M ever trying to lure him away. He won’t be allowed residency in the state of Texas.

Where they have Bevo steaks! 😮

On 12/23/2023 at 7:38 AM, Haywarduck said:

I have heard rumors of such a things, like a football game without a touchdown. If it is true, I don't want to see it, or live in a place where that is thought of as acceptable!

The Toilet Bowl? The  year (1995?) the Ducks beat the beavs 12-0--all field goals? 😉

• Thumbs Up 1

This is just wrong. All of you are contributing to climate change and unethical eating. Uncooked sustainability sourced

organic heirloom fruits and vegetables served with Cascade artesian water on compostable hemp plates and with plant based utensils is the standard and should be enforced by law. I'm going to write my congressperson to demand change. 

Just kidding. Cook it and eat it anyway you choose. 

Happy Holidays to all and Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Too funny, when I originally saw this topic I was afraid it would lead to hiding the thread. I am now in complete agreement, while respecting those that adore the pan while advocating for the stovetop.

If there was ever a thread where we can agree to disagree it is this one! Well done, I mean a medium rare thread!

• Thumbs Up 2

Key ingredient is butter at the end no matter how you cook it. IMHO.

Oh! and don’t forget to cut at a 45 degree angle to help make a cheap cut of meat more tender. Lol

• Thumbs Up 1

image.thumb.png.39dc0aa0b5efb4ac0d8b82a786faedbb.png

On 12/23/2023 at 7:38 AM, Haywarduck said:

Wow, I was and am pretty sure that is a constitutional right. The Supreme Court should get involved!

Its called high density living. A lot of the big cities and metros back east have BBQ fire safety laws. Prob a bunch in the B1G-just sayin

On 12/23/2023 at 8:45 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Its called high density living. A lot of the big cities and metros back east have BBQ fire safety laws. Prob a bunch in the B1G-just sayin

High density living? Never heard of it. 20231221_092756.thumb.jpg.e8e5b495059a05082e8741a53f282adb.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/23/2023 at 8:52 AM, Log Haulin said:

High density living? Never heard of it. 20231221_092756.thumb.jpg.e8e5b495059a05082e8741a53f282adb.jpg

Im sure that place has a lot of great recruits coming from there.

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1

Can bears play linebacker? The answer is yes. Hard to coach em though.

Not many recruits here either, but my morning view is worth a great steak, however you cook it.   5 star view.  Merry Christmas everyone. Go Ducks!

20231223_074612.jpg

Edited by JDuck
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2023 at 8:54 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Im sure that place has a lot of great recruits coming from there.

Not a lot, but when they do fan sure seem to love them.

Pan>Grill

Blast away. 

I can't believe I clicked on this thread!😜

• Haha 2

Italians do a pretty mean pan steak too, although I’m also pretty sure Mario uses a microwave.

• Haha 3

Please coach:  priorities, more beef on the O&D-lines, less in the skillet

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

On 12/23/2023 at 9:31 AM, Log Haulin said:

Not a lot, but when they do fan sure seem to love them.

Really? Ive never tried to put a Helmut on a bear, I think Ill leave that up to you.

On 12/23/2023 at 1:34 PM, Washington Waddler said:

Italians do a pretty mean pan steak too, although I’m also pretty sure Mario uses a microwave.

An actual picture of a Beaver Thanksgiving.

IMG_0018.jpeg

• Haha 4

On 12/23/2023 at 11:08 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Really? Ive never tried to put a Helmut on a bear, I think Ill leave that up to you.

No worries, I am used to doing the heavy lifting for others. Someone has to stand in the gap. 

Man,

Sometimes the knowledge imparted on this forum...

I am no expert on this, and let me tell you, I'm going to burn some streak taking advice from this thread. 

My taste buds already enjoy the thought of it all.

You know you've got it good when a full blown thread debating steak is the issue of the day...

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Rub in fresh rosemary, sear both sides well in a cast iron skillet, then put the skillet in an oven at 180 until it is the way you like it.

I also like steak cooked on the grill on the front porch.

On 12/23/2023 at 11:24 AM, Log Haulin said:

No worries, I am used to doing the heavy lifting for others. Someone has to stand in the gap. 

Are you insinuating that I dont do heavy lifting? because I lift refrigerators up 3  floors  frequently.

On 12/23/2023 at 11:37 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Are you insinuating that I dont do heavy lifting? because I lift refrigerators up 3  floors  frequently.

Lol, not at all. Someone has to put the helmut on the bears. Might need your help with the shoulder pads though. 

• Applause 1

DL can cook his steak anyway he wants I just need him to beat the Fuskies!

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow.  I cannot believe all the great advice in this thread, and it is pretty valuable to me, as I need to learn how to cook more items with my recently new single status.  I want to do a bit of Carnivore diet in the future, but at the least learn how to cook a great steak, and the tips here were incredible.

If anyone is up for giving me an in-person, one-on-one cooking lesson in Eugene....I'll buy the steaks and share them.  charles@fishduck.com 

No, Charles.  The Smoke Alarm is NOT a Food Timer.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/23/2023 at 1:26 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Wow.  I cannot believe all the great advice in this thread, and it is pretty valuable to me, as I need to learn how to cook more items with my recently new single status.  I want to do a bit of Carnivore diet in the future, but at the least learn how to cook a great steak, and the tips here were incredible.

If anyone is up for giving me an in-person, one-on-one cooking lesson in Eugene....I'll buy the steaks and share them.  charles@fishduck.com 

No, Charles.  The Smoke Alarm is NOT a Food Timer.

giphy.gif

Yea, I don't know how to cook neither but my waste removal skills are blueblood for sure.

• Haha 1

I grill and pan fry and my results have been both great and bad both methods.  Great advice is buy the better and costlier cuts of meat. I personally like for taste is the Flanken ribs-just cook hot and quick. Also for pan fry cheap cookware does not cut it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/23/2023 at 7:29 AM, WaterPoloDuck said:

Ok, I generally agree... but have you ever tried cooking a steak sous vide and then searing it in a cast iron?

Sous vide is a french method where you vacuum seal food in a bag (with herbs preferably) and then place that bag in water that is being circulated at the exact temperature that you want your food to turn out. 

It sits in that for a while, then you sear it to get a nice crust and you have the juiciest, most delicious steak you will ever have!

Wanted to pull this out to expand on thoughts.

If you hang with foodies they will say sous vide is played out and...that's true in terms of the pros.  Everyone was using sous vide on everything and it got a bit overkill.

But it isn't any less magical for us home chefs with the 'pick the temp and nail it' goodness.

Fish? Check.  Pork? Yessir.  Even custards and duck confit.  Never overcook again and tackle things that are really hard to get right from a temperature standpoint.  And it still renders fat which is a huge deal.

As I mentioned in another thread, the only issue w/sous vide for anything that requires a good searing is the water content the process imparts to the meat.  Even if you dry off the steak post water bath, there is still a bit of moisture on the surface and that causes the pan to lose heat when boiling it off.  That loss of heat slows the onset of the Maillard reaction ever so much causing it to kick in at a slightly non-optimal temp. 

Reverse searing offers the same temp control but better browning as there is no moisture on the outside steak's surface. 

The downside of reverse searing is the timing and that isn't an immaterial concern.  It isn't an exact cook time making it hard to land any other dishes concurrently with your steak.  Sous vide, OTOH, has a very definite, chef defined end time which allows for easy side dish coordination. 

Ultimately, I find it comes down to what you are willing to trade-off (timing and managing a full 3+ dish mean is probably the hardest thing to do especially if you are the only one cooking as everything tends to culminate at the same time).

If you do try the reverse sear, I would definitely suggest a Bluetooth thermometer like the Meater which helps reduce some of the ambiguity around the cook time. 

But given the choice between cooking in a pan or on a grill end to end, I'll definitely take sous vide.

Edited by CalBear95
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/23/2023 at 2:56 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Great advice is buy the better and costlier cuts of meat. 

advice i got from the owner of L&L meats on Willamette (some of you might be old enough to remember) is when choosing the steaks- rib, T-bone, NY etc find the round ones.  the rounder the better.   

for pan cooking, trim some of the fat off and melt it under low heat and then cook the steak in that.

i've had good results both on the grill and in a hot pan--as long as the steak is thick enough to keep it rare.  thanks for all the great ideas!

• Cool 1