DrJacksPlaidPants

CFP National Championship Postgame Discussion

Bottom line is Michigan had the best defense in the country and it showed.

• Applause 1

Wish they both could have lost, but seeing the dawgs lose was good enough!

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thank you Michigan. 34-13. Thanks for sending the huskies home with a big loss.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Michigan held Washington 24 points below their season average.

Just a few final thoughts. 

Screenshot_20240108-202007.png.95b7ed910cf9149cf4e2be541fb8825c.pngScreenshot_20240108-202041.png.209105f8f0d9613ad302d9209fc99eec.png

I also never said I was noble. 😆🦆

• Haha 4
  • Mic drop 1

Always warms my cockles to see the fuskies lose!🤣

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sorry. Had to do it.

8bq8qp.jpeg

• Oh no! 2
  • Yikes! 2
  • Wow 1
  • Haha 1

Harbaugh's off his rocker!

• Thumbs Up 1

Washington kept it respectable most of the game in spite of their mistakes, but ultimately lost.

Oregon HC with the great GameDay and halftime analysis commentary just letting college football know we aren't going anywhere.

What a great end to the season!

• Thumbs Up 3

They should give UW some of those pre-printed 2024 Huskies National Champions t-shirts so they can wipe their tears.

• Haha 2

As a fan this was a great season and one of the best in many years.

Many shoulda, coulda wouldas for sure! Very few lows and simply entertaining

Congrats to the Wolverines, they beat a very good husky team. That is the benchmark for DL and his staff.

Build teams to beat Michigan and tOSU, year in and year out. You have to beat a champion to become The Champion.

Fond farewell to the PAC12 and lets go win the BIG......

• Thumbs Up 7

On 1/8/2024 at 8:13 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Bottom line is Michigan had the best defense in the country and it showed.

Ohio State has the best defense in the nation.  If their offense was as good, they'd be in this position.

I thought Washington choked.  Dropped passes, penalties, and Penix finally lost his composure.  

Michigan forced the issue, but plays were left on the field, and UW didn't continue the strategy they used to close within seven at halftime.  

I expected much more swing routes to the RBs and WRs.  Setting up fakes to those areas and  quick strikes downfield along the sidelines.  UW actually did that to Texas, and I expected more of that. And those vaunted curl routes to the TE they used against OBD.

OBD are capable of handling all the playoff teams, Georgia, Ole Miss, and Missouri.  That slow start in the Conference Title Game hurt our shot at taking this physical brand on.  OBD have an offense that can handle these elite teams.

I like Michigan.  I think you can drop thirty on them.  Washington showed you can.  I'm sure plenty disagree.  I'd love a shot at that defense.  They can be forced to deal with what their aggression leaves available.  It's there for the taking. 

That's why I'm not a fan of repeating the same plays over and over again in practice.  My philosophy is give them looks so you can take what they give you, which means my OC is using ALL 195 plays in his playbook.

But that's just me.  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/8/2024 at 11:35 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

As a fan this was a great season and one of the best in many years.

Many shoulda, coulda wouldas for sure! Very few lows and simply entertaining

Congrats to the Wolverines, they beat a very good husky team. That is the benchmark for DL and his staff.

Build teams to beat Michigan and tOSU, year in and year out. You have to beat a champion to become The Champion.

Fond farewell to the PAC12 and lets go win the BIG......

This is the key right here. I think DL has been trying to build his Oregon team like a SEC team by recruiting physical defensive players, big O-Linemen and talented skill players. I think the Ducks will be in a way better position to win in the B1G that Washington will.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/8/2024 at 8:29 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Sorry. Had to do it.

8bq8qp.jpeg

Washington beat Oregon and Texas playing their best ball. They made critical errors against UM that killed drives.

That being said UM is the best team in the country this year, and 8 times out of 10 we would have lost to them.

Both these teams will lose a bunch of players and maybe even their HCs next year while we will likely improve everywhere except possibly the DLine.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/8/2024 at 11:42 PM, Solar said:

Washington beat Oregon and Texas playing their best ball. They made critical errors against UM that killed drives.

That being said UM is the best team in the country this year, and 8 times out of 10 we would have lost to them.

Both these teams will lose a bunch of players and maybe even their HCs next year while we will likely improve everywhere except possibly the DLine.

I think Michigan’s defense was the key. They were #1 in scoring defense and total defense this year.

WWW.NCAA.COM

Discover the current NCAA FBS Football leaders in every stats category, as well as historic leaders.

Washington had one TD drive and it was on a fairly short field after a failed 4th down attempt by Michigan.

On 1/8/2024 at 8:29 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Sorry. Had to do it.

8bq8qp.jpeg

No! For some strange reason you chose to do it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I could a sworn after the game when Harbaugh shook Odunze's hand he said "I'll be bringing you with me to the Chargers."

• Haha 4
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

New_Husky_Helmets.jpg

• Haha 8
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I predict Harbaugh is going to the NFL for two reasons. 1) He’s probably going to get punished for his nefarious actions. 2) He can’t stand the thought of only having a NCAA championship when Pete Carroll has both a NCAA championship and Super Bowl championship.

At least we won’t spend the next 30 years hearing about their Natty!

They get to slink home with their tails between their legs.  Somehow that makes it all ok!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 10

With UW's loss tonight, Oregon becomes the last Pac12 team ever to complete their season with a victory.

Prior to tonight, the leading teams in the nation in passing yards per game were (1) UW, (2) Oregon.  With 255 yds passing tonight, that order has flipped.  The Ducks finish the season leading the nation in passing yards per game.

One thing about the 21 point loss, it does soothe the angst a bit for Huskies fans.  After a bit of time, I doubt they'll rue the missed opportunity as much as Auburn 22-19 vs Oregon?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Michigan the gift that keeps on giving. Whadya think Harbaugh goes to the chargers helps Justin Herbert become a champion. Michigan than takes Deboar from Lossington. Priceless 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/8/2024 at 9:13 PM, HDuck said:

One thing about the 21 point loss, it does soothe the angst a bit for Huskies fans.  After a bit of time, I doubt they'll rue the missed opportunity as much as Auburn 22-19 vs Oregon?

HEck,

It was Ohio State 21 Oregon 20 heading into the 4Q.  Then I saw our LBs run right past gaps they were supposed to fill and low and behold it looked like a rout.  

Edge guys cover the outside. That's why they call them MIDDLE LINEBACKERS.  

Oh well.  We didn't have much offense in the 4Q either.  So once again, the "physical" 

Big Ten makes us look dumb.

Where's Warren Moon and Marcus Allen when you need them? 

I bet $100 on ewe dub.  I wanted them to lose, but if they had won, I'd have gladly taken the money.

Had they lost and covered, best of both worlds . . . but that rarely happens for me.

So, I'll just have to settle for the smile on my face watching the best $100 I ever lost.

• Oh no! 1
  • Applause 3

Michigan just bullied them from the beginning.  Never trailed, big final score.  I had friends from the Midwest and South texting me how soft UW looked.  They were shocked they hadn’t lost several games.  And all this with Michigan not playing great on offense.  I think they forgot the forward pass was allowed.  Certainly play called away from their QB.   Oregon was much better equipped to beat Michigan.

Washington's tailback obviously wasn't healthy, and Penix was off target all night, due to constant pressure.

As speculated here before, I don't think he's been full strength since the Duck game in Seattle.

UW defense was not ready for Michigan's run game, but did seem to adjust somewhat in the second half.

Michigan D steamrolled UW O line.

I think OBD offense could have scored more than 13 against them.

Guess we'll find out next season!

On 1/8/2024 at 8:26 PM, noDucknewby said:

Always warms my cockles to see the fuskies lose!🤣

And it is too cold this time of year to have cold cockles

"I felt a great disturbance in the Farce, as if millions of howling fuskies suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced."

OBD, circa 1/8/2024

So sweet to see the fuskie tails bobbed, dragging their arrogant backsides home like a worm cur.

• Haha 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sadly for the Fuskies, I think they would’ve lost to a number of SEC and B1G teams tonight. Maybe even a healthy FSU.

If Penix played that way against the Ducks the mutts don’t win. 

That being said they seemed to scratch out victory in a few games that Penix played poorly. Not this time.

Looking forward to playing them next year without their miracle worker at the helm.

And will Dboer be gone next season?

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

DeBoer will have to start winning with his own recruits at some point. I think this team only had a couple of starters who weren’t Petersen/Lake recruits.

On 1/9/2024 at 2:44 AM, AllOregon said:

Michigan just bullied them from the beginning.  Never trailed, big final score.  I had friends from the Midwest and South texting me how soft UW looked.  They were shocked they hadn’t lost several games.  And all this with Michigan not playing great on offense.  I think they forgot the forward pass was allowed.  Certainly play called away from their QB.   Oregon was much better equipped to beat Michigan.

naw...  last night put everything in perspective.  

we still building.  Michigan been building this the last 3 years with this squad

• Thumbs Up 1

This bad boy is being worn every time my husky friend’s start woofing again.

Happy Duck Fan in Seattle.

299903C2-5CAF-4E29-A0F9-5D4945B68266.jpeg

• Haha 3
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Going to simply say this.

That game reminded me of the OR/WASH game earlier in the season.  Much like the Ducks on that Saturday the "dogs" kept shooting themselves in the foot.  

Sweet, sweet irony!  😁

I have to confess my sins........I was rooting for the Huskies!

• Oh no! 1
  • Wow 1

On 1/9/2024 at 1:26 PM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

image.gif.ad3bac5c3c43fec53c3604641b9f8c49.gif

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/9/2024 at 10:26 AM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

Confession is good for the soul.  Now go say Ten Hail Duckies...and Sin No More!  😉

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/9/2024 at 10:43 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

image.gif.ad3bac5c3c43fec53c3604641b9f8c49.gif

Why?

On 1/9/2024 at 2:05 PM, Duckhart2 said:

Why?

It was the only confession GIF I could find.

• Thumbs Up 1

Once again reminded that defense wins championships, especially against an offense that relies upon a timing passing game. Without the ability to establish his confidence-building rhythm, Penix’s laser turned into a dim bulb flashlight.

• Haha 1

Three words describe the dawgs season ending game...

The dawgs mens athletic program comes up short, again! National Titles, still zero, zip, zilch, nada! 

That one had to hurt, never even led one second of the game. Almost looked like they didn't deserve to be there. I don't think many can even come up with a plausible could have, would have, or should have. The dawgs just weren't good enough. Pretty sure Georgia would have sent them home too.

out-of-luck-dave-crosby.gif

On 1/8/2024 at 8:39 PM, Mike West said:

Washington choked.

Mike, I agree. Penix just seemed off, not only missing throws, but not confident in any facet of his normal game. Of course, one could say that Michigan's defense had a major effect on his performance but it's not like the Ducks or the Wildcats hadn't already hit/sacked him previously. 

And the play selection/tempo was atrocious. The Huskies needed to speed it up a bit at times, especially after a longish play. The Husky offense was stuck in 1st gear, whether previous play was successful/not or the defense got rattled after a chunk play.

Despite rooting for the Huskies, I'll still be able to troll them when the need arises. There's always a bright side to a Husky loss! 

On 1/8/2024 at 11:39 PM, Mike West said:

Ohio State has the best defense in the nation.  If their offense was as good, they'd be in this position.

I thought Washington choked.  Dropped passes, penalties, and Penix finally lost his composure.  

Michigan forced the issue, but plays were left on the field, and UW didn't continue the strategy they used to close within seven at halftime.  

I expected much more swing routes to the RBs and WRs.  Setting up fakes to those areas and  quick strikes downfield along the sidelines.  UW actually did that to Texas, and I expected more of that. And those vaunted curl routes to the TE they used against OBD.

OBD are capable of handling all the playoff teams, Georgia, Ole Miss, and Missouri.  That slow start in the Conference Title Game hurt our shot at taking this physical brand on.  OBD have an offense that can handle these elite teams.

I like Michigan.  I think you can drop thirty on them.  Washington showed you can.  I'm sure plenty disagree.  I'd love a shot at that defense.  They can be forced to deal with what their aggression leaves available.  It's there for the taking. 

That's why I'm not a fan of repeating the same plays over and over again in practice.  My philosophy is give them looks so you can take what they give you, which means my OC is using ALL 195 plays in his playbook.

But that's just me.  

Pretty much my take. Taking nothing away from that team up north, the pups beat themselves. Open receivers were missed all game, passes were dropped and if it weren't for holding that team up north couldn't cover anyone at all. I was actually rooting for UW. Even if it's them, it would have been nice for the PAC to go out with a NC.

• Go Ducks! 1

Okay, I have to admit this. I love the Ducks, but it is going to be hard to switch conference loyalties from the PAC to the B1G (or as I call it The Big Slow and Ugly Conference). I've seen the B1G as over rated in just about everything for decades now.

Yes, in OSU and that team up north are usually good, but the rest of the conference is usually mediocre. Basketball, the whole conference is mediocre. I think the 4 teams coming in from the West Coast just may come in and be among the top 6 teams with OSU and Mic... can't say it.

In basketball, it could be similar. All four West Coast teams should be in the top half of the B1G. 

The one advantage the B1G has had is money. They have not been innovative, usually with teams (in most sports) built more around power than speed and skill and often just tend to be as Coach Gains described the Veer offense in Remember the Titans, "Like Novocaine. it will lull you to sleep but effective."

Hopefully the West Coast bunch will add a little excitement, and it won't be too bad.

On 1/9/2024 at 7:19 AM, Lrod said:

naw...  last night put everything in perspective.  

we still building.  Michigan been building this the last 3 years with this squad

Agreed.  Just thinking UO would have had a closer game,  yet certainly Michigan is better.

On 1/9/2024 at 2:52 PM, OhioDuck said:

B1G (or as I call it The Big Slow and Ugly Conference

Yes,  while it can be effective, is boring

It feels a little sad that the PAC12 did not end up with a national championship in its final season. 

But that pales to insignificance next to the feeling of relief knowing we won't have to listen to UW fans crow about an uncontested Natty for decades. 

GettyImages-1918694105-scaled.jpg

Husky tears are delicious. 

Edited by Dav3d
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/9/2024 at 4:58 PM, Dav3d said:

Husky tears are delicious. 

Dav3d....for a first post--you can't do any better!  You are one of us already...WELCOME!

• Salute 1

Mr. FishDuck