Duck 1972

M C to Miami?

I was just watching a YouTube insidetheu from 6hrs ago stating that they are still going after him and if it happens it will be a couple of days after the game Friday.

If he goes he goes. We will see if he was really ever a Duck.

one thing is for sure --One man does not make this program.

Mario is not the best X and Os guy, any program he is head coach at will rely on great Offensive and Defensive CO's 

Why has Moorhead accepted the job at Akron already? Unless he has been told that there is zero chance of him getting the HC job at Oregon, I would think he would wait around to see if he would be considered. After all, Oregon likes to promote from within. This program has only done one external hire in the last 40 years and it was a disaster. 

Mario may have looked at the situation and realized that every coach since Coker has failed. Diaz and Richt are great recruiters and successful coaches, so it’s likely not the coaches. It all depends on what he wants to do. Miami can’t pay him more than Oregon if PK wants to keep him.

My main concern is that it's his home and alma mater.

It's more important that he stays a Duck now that USC has hired Riley

We are going to need his recruiting prowess. I believe he's the best there is for us as he has shown with the top 4 recruiting classes in school history.

Chip Kelly was an anomaly. He brought in a new style of football and changed the game. But that advantage is long gone. His main complaint was how hard it was to recruit to U of O.

I don't want to return to the years before CK even though it was better than before. 

The name of the game in today's college FB is recruiting. Period. And IMHO Mario is the best chance for us to do this, bar none!

• Thumbs Up 2

The problem with going back to your alma matter is if you fail. Where you were once revered, it could turn into a disaster. 

Lots of examples over the years of this. So, best to build like Saban elsewhere IMHO.

It is interesting we are seeing Mario for who he is, as time passes. There are things we cringe about, game management. There are items we complain about the conservative offense, doesn't he know this is Oregon! At the same time there are many, many things we celebrate.

One thing we don't know is what deep down will drive him to change, and ultimately go somewhere else, potentially home.

I tend to think as he progresses as a coach, and reaches his stated goal of a championship at Oregon he may change and want to do the same at home. Until then the man I know, on the surface, seems to be Oregon's coach until he becomes the coach we all want. He just needs to evolve, and Oregon is the best place for that.  I think he knows that.

When our coach has all the pieces fitting together nicely, we will be ok with him leaving, respect that decision. Until then we just need to respect the process.

I will agree Oregon is a great place for a coach to develop and grow. My one hope when Mario leaves, he leaves the Oregon Football Program in better shape than when he got here. I think that is certain, as that is how Oregon builds their programs. The next guy, or woman to coach at Oregon will be just fine, and we will persevere, Go Ducks! 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/1/2021 at 9:02 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

If he goes he goes. We will see if he was really ever a Duck.

If He goes 5 minutes after the game, I will have no problem recognizing him as a Duck. His time at Oregon would not have been a quick stopover/ Mario put Oregon back in the national college football conversation. His recruiting? We can only hope that his successor can keep it at the same level, at least two Conference Championships. I say Mario is all Duck.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/1/2021 at 9:17 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I was just watching a YouTube insidetheu from 6hrs ago stating that they are still going after him and if it happens it will be a couple of days after the game Friday.

Not to be rude to the Miami fans/pages/university but they all seem very overconfident in what they have.

Their is honestly one thing I can think of that Miami has that can lead him away from Oregon. That is his mom.

Miami doesn't have better boosters, better facilities, better administration. They likely can't compete in money. They don't have an Athletic Director. 

If Mario leaves it will be for his mom. That is the only reason he leaves. And given that he helped correct oregon after helfrich and Taggart. Mario will always be a Duck. He proved oregon is a top 10 recruiting place and could win back-back-back pac12 titles. He also will have a fantastic staff in place many of which would likely stay and get promotions rather than follow him out east.

I also like the point of why would moorehead leave if he has a chance at being the oregon head coach.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've had a weird gut feeling about him leaving since late September. May come true, may not, but I'm not worried about it. As much of a loss as I am about who the HC target would be, I'm sure there is one and I'm sure no one in charge at UO or Nike would be unprepared. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/2/2021 at 8:33 AM, Haywarduck said:

It is interesting we are seeing Mario for who he is, as time passes. There are things we cringe about, game management. There are items we complain about the conservative offense, doesn't he know this is Oregon! At the same time there are many, many things we celebrate.

One thing we don't know is what deep down will drive him to change, and ultimately go somewhere else, potentially home.

I tend to think as he progresses as a coach, and reaches his stated goal of a championship at Oregon he may change and want to do the same at home. Until then the man I know, on the surface, seems to be Oregon's coach until he becomes the coach we all want. He just needs to evolve, and Oregon is the best place for that.  I think he knows that.

When our coach has all the pieces fitting together nicely, we will be ok with him leaving, respect that decision. Until then we just need to respect the process.

I will agree Oregon is a great place for a coach to develop and grow. My one hope when Mario leaves, he leaves the Oregon Football Program in better shape than when he got here. I think that is certain, as that is how Oregon builds their programs. The next guy, or woman to coach at Oregon will be just fine, and we will persevere, Go Ducks! 

Can you evolve beyond your DNA? Mario is going to play smash mouth LOS football. Mario had to love Michigan's beat down of Ohio State. That's Mario's game and I believe he is going to stay the course.

If MC leaves then so be it. The only drop off Oregon had in the last 12 years was in Helfrich's final year. Taggert turned it around and now we

have MC. There will be another good coach at Oregon if MC leaves. Oregons not AZ or some other school without the means to hire a good

coach. I just don't get all the worry.

On 12/2/2021 at 9:15 AM, Jon Joseph said:

That's Mario's game and I believe he is going to stay the course.

Yep, the course that is taking Michigan to the Playoff. Harbaugh is a quarterback, so a different DNA than is Mario.

On 12/2/2021 at 8:59 AM, UtahDuck said:

Not to be rude to the Miami fans/pages/university but they all seem very overconfident in what they have.

Their is honestly one thing I can think of that Miami has that can lead him away from Oregon. That is his mom.

Miami doesn't have better boosters, better facilities, better administration. They likely can't compete in money. They don't have an Athletic Director. 

If Mario leaves it will be for his mom. That is the only reason he leaves. And given that he helped correct oregon after helfrich and Taggart. Mario will always be a Duck. He proved oregon is a top 10 recruiting place and could win back-back-back pac12 titles. He also will have a fantastic staff in place many of which would likely stay and get promotions rather than follow him out east.

I also like the point of why would moorehead leave if he has a chance at being the oregon head coach.

While you may be absolutely correct I think you are omitting a few not insignificant possible draws for MC. These are some key differences, excluding money and facilities:

He may want to be closer to his other family members as well (and wife's family)

He may have always wanted to lead his college alma mater considering his experience as a student athlete there.

He may want to be in a community with more people that share his culture/heritage (Cuban-American)

He may want his kids to go to the same prestigious private high school he did (Columbus)

He may prefer a large city over a small city

He may prefer having the most fertile recruiting ground a drive away as opposed to a flight away.

While it would be tough to lose what I consider a really strong fit for the Oregon job, I could see leaving for these reasons assuming the money was reasonably comparable. I certainly won't think of him as a traitor or less of a contributor for the turnaround under his watch.

• Thumbs Up 2

Outside of some amped up U fan boys, I don't see much smoke here let alone any fire. In the interview MC states that his mother was unconscious and unable to speak (sure hope she pulls through) but if she was she would have told him to get out of there and get back to work. To me, Mario doesn't seem like the kind of guy to use a family crisis as a media distraction to conceal ulterior motives. He prides himself on being a straight shooter and I don't see him breaking character now.

Seems to me he is grateful for this opportunity giving to him by the UO (with the support of his players) to build the program of his dreams and is on a mission to complete the job. Also, the Miami dumpster fire will still be smoldering whenever he decides his work here is done.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 11:17 AM, WCCIDT said:

He may want to be closer to his other family members as well (and wife's family)

He may have always wanted to lead his college alma mater considering his experience as a student athlete there.

He may want to be in a community with more people that share his culture/heritage (Cuban-American)

He may want his kids to go to the same prestigious private high school he did (Columbus)

He may prefer a large city over a small city

He may prefer having the most fertile recruiting ground a drive away as opposed to a flight away.

Only debating the points that I think have a debate to them.

as for wanting to coach at his Alma Mater, that could be true, but following his firing from FIU, He was hired at Miami and quit within two months to go to alabama. He could have earned his leverage and eventually became the HC at miami arguably quicker if he stayed at the university. but he picked the better job.

I think it should be debatable about recruiting florida. no doubt is it one of the most fertile states and the miami metro produces a lot of talent. With that said Mario is going to recruit nationally no matter what. He has yet to pull in an OT from the state of Florida(because they don't produce very many) and when it comes to recruiting nationally Oregon has the advantage. Would you rather ride phil's private jet or first class delta because that is the money difference between oregon's booster and miami. the next point is how picked apart the talent of florida is. In florida, you FSU, Miami, Florida, Georgia, Clemson, alabama all within earshot taking top 10/20 talent from the state. You also have Ohio State and Oklahoma who have grabbed their fair share from the state.

What about California? obviously you have USC. but really no one else. Yes, clemson, bama, OSU, georgia. will grab their player or two form the top 10/20. If you are recruiting though it is going to be much easier to grab your to 3-5 guys from the hotbed of CA than from FL.

as for the rest, you are right, family, heritage, city could all be factors but I am not sure how much they weigh vs taking a worse job(personal opinion).

2 BIG THINGS....

Who is going to hire him, NO AD

Who is he going to replace, THEY STILL HAVE A COACH.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/2/2021 at 12:56 PM, Steven A said:

2 BIG THINGS....

Details!

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/2/2021 at 1:00 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Details!

Yes, never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

• Haha 1

On 12/2/2021 at 1:10 PM, Steven A said:

Yes, never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Who's facts? Ok, I'll stop there.

• Haha 1

On 12/2/2021 at 3:56 PM, Steven A said:

2 BIG THINGS....

And we are on the cusp of early signing day. I think Diaz is safe for at least 1 more year. Miami finished fairly well and Miami players never quit on Manny. BTW, Miami is a private school without a huge alumni base and without a huge endowment. I thought Florida was going to make a move on Mario? Didn't happen. Mario's style of play does not necessarily move the needle for ADs trying to fill their stadium. I think there is far more smoke around Mario taking another job than there is fire?

On 12/2/2021 at 12:56 PM, Steven A said:

2 BIG THINGS....

Definitely agree, however I am trying not to ignore that things like this can be in motion for some time, waiting for the right moment, and well hidden if done correctly (see USC). And while these are facts today, it doesn't guarantee they will still hold true Saturday morning, as they change with a pen stroke.

Edited by WCCIDT

yeah... this sounds like a fun work environment 🧐

• Haha 1

On 12/2/2021 at 8:59 AM, UtahDuck said:

If Mario leaves it will be for his mom.

I did hear a rumor that MC was planning on moving his mom to Eugene after the season was over... just a rumor but if it is true then MC may have side stepped this already if he is intending on staying. 

Personally... I think MC is staying... but right now I am feeling a bit more nervous than I have in recent weeks. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/2/2021 at 2:46 PM, David Marsh said:

but right now I am feeling a bit more nervous than I have in recent weeks. 

Reading this could help.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/2/2021 at 1:26 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I think there is far more smoke around Mario taking another job than there is fire?

What this is saying to me is that Mario's agent is doing a great job!

Go Ducks!

On 12/2/2021 at 7:33 PM, Joe F said:

What this is saying to me is that Mario's agent is doing a great job!

Go Ducks!

But nowhere close to Riley and Kelly's agent.

I sure hope MC stays, but at this point I think it’s truly 50/50. A lot of smoke and where there is smoke there is 🔥.

If he does go back home to Miami, there are only two choices to replace him that would keep this program on an upward trajectory.

option #1 Chris Petersen 

Option #2. Joe Brady

If Mario leaves we also must get Donte Williams back for recruiting, make him co-defensive coordinator with TimDeruter.

Anything less than this would be a major disappointment should MC leave.  

Good article-thanks.

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/2/2021 at 9:51 PM, Southwest Duck said:

I sure hope MC stays, but at this point I think it’s truly 50/50. A lot of smoke and where there is smoke there is 🔥.

If he does go back home to Miami, there are only two choices to replace him that would keep this program on an upward trajectory.

option #1 Chris Petersen 

Option #2. Joe Brady

If Mario leaves we also must get Donte Williams back for recruiting, make him co-defensive coordinator with TimDeruter.

Anything less than this would be a major disappointment should MC leave.  

Bob Stoops if healthy enough and so inclined. Lane Kiffin so long as Lane brings his OC and DC with. Jeremy Chadwell if OR again wants to, again,  put a revolutionary O on the field. Dave Aranda, if he would leave Baylor? Another guy who would have to bring his OC with him. Matt Campbell who schooled Mario in the Fiesta Bowl. Luke Fickell if he'd be willing to come west? Justin Wilcox who is a far better coach than his record at CAL, where he has received zero support from the CAL administration.  

Brady was surrounded by all world talent at LSU and given a free hand to light it up with the NFL's #1 draft pick at QB. I have not seen evidence of him being a great coach as OC for the Panthers? Coach Pete? Is he willing to recruit beyond OKGs? Because Lincoln Riley will bring in big time talent to SC. As Jon Wilner recently wrote: Riley's hire is gargantuan for SC and the conference.

Movement at Miami ...

• Thumbs Up 1

Uh oh. Miami just hired the Clemson AD. Don’t know much about the guy but he has 4 playoff appearances and 2 natties as AD, which means he has the walk to back the talk. That history of success may only further get Mario’s ear.

On 12/3/2021 at 3:04 PM, rden said:

Movement at Miami ...

According to the next "VIP" article - "Anybody who has crossed paths with Mario Cristobal knows Miami is his dream job…  Cristobal has always told people in his inner circle that everything he ever did in his coaching career was to one day come back to his alma mater as the head coach. "

We don't know when he may have said that.  After FIU, during 'Bama?  

More smoke?  Definitely more $$$$ to stay now.

I guess we'll see soon enough.

Hopefully, he doesn't "Taggart" us

Just worries me that a new AD, especially one that already has national championships, is going to want to make a splash hire.

Dan Radakovich as AD (from Clemson) at Miami says more to me that staff is looking for someone with east coast ties/east coast recruiting. This could mean Lane Kiffin is the more likely candidate at this point. But lets see how tonight plays out!

• Thumbs Up 1

On KEZI news at 3:30 it sounded as if Miami has made an offer to MC, and Oregon a counter offer. I'm hoping MC stays at Oregon, but of course all we can do is wait.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/3/2021 at 3:48 PM, Babyjesus615 said:

Dan Radakovich as AD (from Clemson) at Miami says more to me that staff is looking for someone with east coast ties/east coast recruiting. This could mean Lane Kiffin is the more likely candidate at this point. But lets see how tonight plays out!

Perhaps, but Radakovich is also a Miami Alum, so perhaps it was just him liking the opportunity to go back to his alma mater and not a coastal focus.