Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Muskrat

Chip Deserves Another Chance to Recreate the Magic.

But, is he interested?
What have we got to lose?? Any coaching choice is a gamble, but Chip comes in holding a full house. We should have got him last time. Give him another shot!

We’ll never know if he can recreate the magic unless we do. Take the safe bet and make the fans happy. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

He bounced.  He deserves nothing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest KingT

My understanding is he has declined interest. (unofficially anyway)

Chip's full house comes with a joker in a game where jokers don't count.  That joker is his failure to adhere to NCAA recruiting rules when he was at Oregon before.  To me, that gives Chip a losing hand and could cost Oregon a lot of chips.  

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don’t blame him for leaving for a shot in the NFL. It’s every serious coaches dream. & I suspect he’s learned a lot about recruiting rules the last few years. The other 2 top choices are also carrying jokers and baggage. We know what we’re getting. & He’s no joke!

It’s the safe choice, nothing to loose. Everyone else is a bigger gamble (& I love the Baylor coach & Kiffen might be great, but??????)

On 12/9/2021 at 1:47 PM, Muskrat said:

But, is he interested?
What have we got to lose?? Any coaching choice is a gamble, but Chip comes in holding a full house. We should have got him last time. Give him another shot!

We’ll never know if he can recreate the magic unless we do. Take the safe bet and make the fans happy. 

I will always be grateful for the four years he gave us.

But Chip's time has passed.

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm down, so long as his only responsibility is X's and O's. That's his absolute best skill.

Guest KingT
On 12/9/2021 at 1:51 PM, KingT said:

My understanding is he has declined interest. (unofficially anyway)

I correct -- word from Canzano is that it's now a public and formal dialogue.

I see that U of O has asked permission to speak with Chip Kelly 

We need to do something respectable soon, one way or another.

Kelly would be a fine coach for Oregon now... but he will not bring us to the promised land. Chip has shown at every coaching stop that he wants to be comfortable with his staff and he will opt for the familiar rather than push the envelope and find some stronger hires. 

Also Kelly hates recruiting... that is what makes him undesirable in my book. We need someone who can recruit. 

The last time Kelly struck gold and made Oregon such a hot brand that it recruited itself... even then he didn't bring in top 10 classes (depending on the recruiting service he had 1) he brought in top 15 classes and made the most out of 3 star recruits. We sniffed at the National Championship but didn't reach it. 

This time around I see a Kelly run Oregon making the Pac-12 Championship game every few years and some Rose Bowls... I don't see him wanting to recruit hard enough to get us to the National Championship. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Now that we are moving toward the 5th day of the search it makes me wonder even more:

How did Miami and SC make their hires in less than 48 hours of coach supposedly being informed?

Great decisions, great contracts and great searches take time. Well I am just a naive country bumping.

What do I know. I know coach speak BS.

Please no on Kelly......

• Thumbs Up 1

Chip at UCLA has been an interesting experiment. I bet they thought he'd recreate the magic there too. Why would he do anything better now? Has he been holding out on the Bruins? 😁

Guest KingT

Chip did a great job with UCLA given how bad the condition of the team was when he joined. The transfer portal helps him a lot given that he hates recruiting. His pedigree + Oregon would attract a ton of talent and I think they could compete for a National Title asap with the talent on the roster. He would bring the buzz the program needs right now.

I could see things happening like this "I will consider it, if you let me Revive the Three Duckegoes- The Chipster, Helfritos and Frostcheetos, the Blurs prodigal sons.  We shall call it Oregons Chip N Dips.

• Haha 3

I'm with Muskrat. Chip was the most successful coach in Oregon history. The stars have aligned and now is the time to bring him back. "The game has passed Chip by" is a frequently stated mantra. Nonsense. The man has not forgotten how to coach. Let the era of Chip II begin. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Well, "most successful coach" Chip had to cheat to do it. 

No Chip. No Kiffan. 

On 12/9/2021 at 1:41 PM, KingT said:

The transfer portal helps him a lot given that he hates recruiting.

You can get good players for the transfer portal... occasionally there is even a great player. But most of them are players looking for more playing time at another school. There are very few top tier players in the transfer portal because they play at their college which they are a starter and then make the jump to the NFL. 

Again not all transfer portal players are bad but to get the best potential players out there you have to recruit and then land top tier players out of high school. 

On 12/9/2021 at 2:03 PM, David Marsh said:

You can get good players for the transfer portal... occasionally there is even a great player.

The transfer portal could be likened to a pre-certified used vehicle!! 😁

On 12/9/2021 at 2:21 PM, DimpleDucks said:

The transfer portal could be likened to a pre-certified used vehicle!! 😁

Lemon Laws Apply?

• Haha 1

UCLA for 2021 had more PTS, PTS/G, YDS/G, passing yrds and rushing yrds than Oregon did. All with transfers and lower ranked players than

Oregon. D was the issue. Azzinaro did him no favors. 

Edited by GODUCKS15

On 12/9/2021 at 1:38 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

How did Miami and SC make their hires in less than 48 hours of coach supposedly being informed?

Oregon us 'reacting'. These other schools were looking at HC's at established programs AND already had coaches on the out's. We didn't. We thought all was good.

I looked on Craigslist and could not find anybody of value, that link is not as reliable as it used to be.  Just sayn.  Fickle kids.

• Haha 1

On 12/9/2021 at 2:30 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

D was the issue. Azzinaro did him no favors. 

I've wondered about this because Azzinaro was good here. If I remember correctly, he started out at Oregon as the defensive line coach while Allioti was the DC? As DC at UCLA, maybe he doesn't resonate as much with all the players. Plus, he seemed to demand a lot of his players and maybe they don't take to the same kind of instruction as they did at UO. Just pondering...

On 12/9/2021 at 1:33 PM, David Marsh said:

The last time Kelly struck gold and made Oregon such a hot brand that it recruited itself... even then he didn't bring in top 10 classes (depending on the recruiting service he had 1) he brought in top 15 classes and made the most out of 3 star recruits. We sniffed at the National Championship but didn't reach it. 

I'm not advocating for Chip's return, although I wouldn't necessarily be against it, but I do think Chip deserves much more credit for recruiting than he gets.

I'd suggest the exciting, fast-paced style of play that Chip employed and the success we saw under his leadership paid dividends years later when kids who grew up watching his teams, became recruits themselves. 

How many of Mario's recruits said it was their dream to be Ducks? Many! Well I'd contend that those dreams were shaped by Chip, not Mario.

Conversely, I'd say that Mario's style of play would've hurt us down the road. I don't think it would've produced a NC. And I'm certain kids viewing it from a far wouldn't have had their dreams shaped by watching it. 

My thoughts anyway. 

• Thumbs Up 6