30Duck

Moorhead: "Anthony has had a Phenomenal Season"

Around here we've seen adjectives other than phenomenal to describe the season Oregon's starting quarterback is finishing up in the Alamo Bowl.

Anthony Brown Reflects On Senior Season

Duck Territory Matt Prehm

image.jpeg.fafc16a12fe7f822fd6fca910c3574af.jpeg

I'll say this about the guy:  he's an incredibly effective runner. In my view, his effectiveness as a runner almost defies explanation. He's not the biggest guy; he's not the fastest guy. Even so, it seems like he always falls forward at the end of his runs. And, he consistently squirts through for an extra 3-4 yards just when you think he's down.

His passing, on the other hand...

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Love to sit in a film room with Moorhead and listen to him discuss film of AB with a decent QB's coach.

AB can pass.  Just not accurately.  He has a strong arm.  Even Herbert’s “overthrown-itis” becomes catchable balls with NFL receivers.  QB’s gotta throw ‘em where only the receiver can get ‘em.   Still. I gotta admit……the next time AB doesn’t overthrow a long bomb will be (almost) the first time.  

This article comes across, I think accurately, as a testament to how good of an OC Moorhead is. Anthony Brown's statistics and the outcomes are pretty impressive.

I don't think anyone would argue he is an NFL talent, but Moorhead has schemed and coached him up to be a very serviceable qb. 

I would also add Anthony Brown has been a warrior for the Oregon Football Program. He has put extreme effort in, while putting his body at risk. A guy with two reconstructed knees running the ball fearlessly should be more than applauded. 

My recent post about Oregon Fans being a little spoiled I think resonates when you consider the outcome AB and Moorhead have achieved. While we expect and want much more, those two have gotten as much out of each other as possible.

Much like Alliotti's detractors back in the day, you have to step back and appreciate what has been done. Anthony Brown, along with Moorhead have persevered in the face of adversity, and produced a pretty good season.

We can only hope Moorhead has also been grooming and developing our young qb's just as well.

There is a saying many children know, it goes: 'you get what you get and you don't throw a fit.' Many Oregon fans, myself included, would do well to reflect on this.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 6

Seems like a lot of defensive quotes in this article.

Let me preface my conclusion with, I struggle to say AB is a good QB. A game manager? I think so. But, when you have receivers with nothing but the end zone in front of them, how do you consistently overthrow them..... all year? Thats not a route run issue, that's a clear depth perception in finding an over the top pass to a full speed runner. It was all year.

You can't use the argument that AB had defenders in his face when throws like that were taking place. Tons of QB's face the same environment within passing plays. So, from the standpoint that the fans weren't happy with his play, is quite the understatement. 

Another point, our defense was set up dominate. Us fans knew this. So, when you see an offense sputter like it did, then the optimism for a Natty run is tampered. But, let me be clear, it's not all AB's fault.

Coaches have a responsibility to identify the strengths and weaknesses of their players. Put the strengths on the field and mitigate the weaknesses. AB's solid games came from wise schemes that fit his strengths. Short passes, QB designed runs, and the like. So, I put the lions share of AB's performance at the feet of the coaches. Which brings me back to a point I would like to share with the team.

Fans don't just blow $100+ per seat each week to watch a team play and give the players a pass when they struggle in their assignment. We 'Invest'. We invest our resources, our time, our heart. We know there are 85 players on Scholly, so if a player is consistently struggling then you need to bench him till his play gets better.

Jonathan Smith benched his QB early in the year, Beavs went Bowling first time in years. So, do I get to gripe? Yep. And I'll sing your praises as well when your play is praise worthy. We get that right. We paid for it. Players are getting 'paid'. No longer is the player just there for intramurals.

Your 'investment' paid dividends with a full ride Scholly. My investment should pay dividends as well. Uncle Phil is investing and not for a cellar dweller. We expect excellence from a 6th year senior. We got average with a side of real good. AB doesn't get to defend himself to the fans. His should be, 'it's on me'. The coaches say it, Ans so should the players.

It's one of the signs of a Great Player, self accountability.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/28/2021 at 8:38 AM, Haywarduck said:

There is a saying many children know, it goes: 'you get what you get and you don't throw a fit.' Many Oregon fans, myself included, would do well to reflect on this

I don't believe this has a place in this context of being critical of coaching, players, play calling, and the like. If you don't care, then are you a fan? I know thats an absolute statement, but the principle applies. Everyone that pits their 'Talents' on the field is getting paid. I expect performance if you expect me to buy a ticket and a Bellotti Sandwhich.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess in an era of 5-7 teams going bowling Brown has had a 'Phenomenal' season?  If the Alamo Bowl was the goal, maybe he did play like a phenom? Consider the source? I would not expect the OC/QB coach to say anything like: 'The QB, notwithstanding all of my fine coaching, had a mediocre season?'

IMO, Brown, Moorhead and Mario all had a mediocre season. I think the record does not evidence the manner in which the Ducks played as much as it does the mediocre competition post Ohio State?

'Phenomenal?' IMO, not without a conference title and a Rose Bowl. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I remember AB being interviewed after the Fresno State game by the PAC 12 Network crew.

He was visibly upset at his performance even though the Ducks won the game. It was a 4th quarter comeback win engineered by AB.

When the AB interview was completed they broke to a commercial.  When the crew came back on air they showed what happened between AB and Allioti during the break.

Coach had his hands on AB's shoulder pads, looking him in the eye. Allotting told him to remember they won the game. He recognized AB owned it and now told him, go back to practice and fix it.

Great advice by Coach and AB took it like a man and a leader.

I disagree with the notion that AB doesn't get to defend himself. This young man did own it. Saw and heard it with my eyes and ears.

He took Coaches advice and went about fixing it. He played and executed the game plan as per the coaches schemes.

Never, and I mean never did I hear or see AB blame others. He repeatedly owned it.

Measuring performance is subjective at best. Results are 10 wins, one in the shoe. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

On 12/28/2021 at 9:29 AM, 1Funduck said:

I don't believe this has a place in this context of being critical of coaching, players, play calling, and the like. If you don't care, then are you a fan? I know thats an absolute statement, but the principle applies. Everyone that pits their 'Talents' on the field is getting paid. I expect performance if you expect me to buy a ticket and a Bellotti Sandwhich.

I completely agree, a competitive situation needs criticism, critical analysis and adjustments. Caring is more than criticism though. 

I'm just saying, a healthy outlook, also needs realism. The reality is Anthony Brown and Moorhead did a lot with what they had. I am going to head into this game with that outlook.

I will also agree, if this Cristoball, was to continue, I would be more than questioning purchasing the hot air sandwich, with baloney as the only meat choice.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/28/2021 at 9:14 AM, 1Funduck said:

So, do I get to gripe? Yep. And I'll sing your praises as well when your play is praise worthy.

Completely agree, as that is what I call "Critical Analysis," to give credit where due, and grief when deserved.  It is not being "spoiled;" it is holding the team/coach/player accountable to a standard of excellence already set.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

There was an illusion that we were one of the top teams in the country after beating tOSU. However, as the season progressed it became obvious that we were overrated. Primarily because the offense could not stay on the field against lesser teams. 

AB had an “outstanding season” based upon his abilities. He just is not an elite level QB. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 3

On 12/28/2021 at 12:41 PM, Haywarduck said:

I completely agree, a competitive situation needs criticism, critical analysis and adjustments. Caring is more than criticism though. 

I'm just saying, a healthy outlook, also needs realism. The reality is Anthony Brown and Moorhead did a lot with what they had. I am going to head into this game with that outlook.

I will also agree, if this Cristoball, was to continue, I would be more than questioning purchasing the hot air sandwich, with baloney as the only meat choice.

I agree 100% as to critical analysis and reasoned criticism. I think Moorhead, perhaps weighed down by Mario, hardly 'did a lot with what they had.' No criticism of you but a far more talented roster was in 1 score games vs many the stiff and failed to show up ready to play in 2 of its last 3 games. This, despite having quality young athletes in the QB room and a group of quality WRs and TEs.

Starting AB at QB was simply emblematic of Mario's conservative, risk adverse approach. I think poor Moorhead came close to cashing it in as the result of an anxiety attack?

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't think Travis never say Dye played any harder than did Anthony. It didn't seem like he had any delusions about his abilities After every play he picked himself up and went back to the huddle. I don't know if that adds up to a "phenomenal season". But I hope that Anthony looks back on this season as the starting quarterback for the Oregon Ducks with pride. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 9:54 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Completely agree, as that is what I call "Critical Analysis," to give credit where due, and grief when deserved.  It is not being "spoiled," it is holding the team/coach/player accountable to a standard already set.

I would argue the standard should be a dynamic level where the players and opponent should be taken into consideration. 

Is the standard always going to be Mariota or Herbert? Is the standard always going to be 11-12 wins, without any consideration for the schedule?

As an athlete who was never elite, but tried harder than most, I had to look beyond did I win, or what place did I get. I looked at how did I perform based on what I brought to the race, competition. Sometimes I won, sometimes I lost, but I always left it all at the competition, both mentally and physically. 

I  would then be very critical about my performance. The only way to get better is an honest look at what was possible, how could I improve. Even this didn't stop me from being satisfied with the outcome, win or lose.

The standard should really be based on honest effort and development, not some standard that is unattainable. With this in consideration, I applaud Anthony Brown, and Moorhead. I won't get into the rest of the staff, moving forward with my same green glasses! I love my Ducks and want to see if they can bring the magic tomorrow!

I will edit this and say this is what makes Fishduck an awesome place. We can disagree and make our case without demeaning the other points of view. I completely disagree with some of the outlooks, but can respect and understand them. We are all great Duck fans, and bring a diverse set of experiences, mentalities, biases, and that is ok!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

AB has talents and limitations, and also a lot of heart. I think what is phenomenal is that all things considered, the Ducks went 10-3 (so far. Go Ducks in the Alamo Bowl!).

Edited by Annie
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Do I want the Ducks to win every game?

After seeing the 12-0 performance a few seasons ago, I realize it's 'possible', but for all but a very few teams, unlikely

It's "lightning in a bottle".

AB gave everything he had, occasionally exceeding his own limitations.

I find it disappointing, to put it mildly,  that coaches did not seize the chance to find how well the younger players might have navigated the waters of adversity when AB struggled mightily, at times.

THAT, is not on AB. 

It sits solely on the shoulders and in the hands of the Oregon coaches, whether out of fear, denial, or pure, ornery, stubbornness.

Grandpa owned a jackass when I was a kid. That cantankerous critter had a small corral, with a 10' wide creek (which, in the summer, might have been less than a foot deep), separating it from 70 acres of open, green, pasture.

There was a well constructed, 12' wide bridge across that mighty body of water.

The epitome of "mule headed" is th fact that the only way we could get him into the pasture was to hook his halter to the John Deere, and lead (or drag, if you will) 200 pounds of donkey to the other side.

That is what I witnessed from MC lead Oregon coaches this season, in a nutshell.

YIuc_NKCQg-FQxZ1xAgs9Kitm-yrvhXL75KVSxfu

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 1:16 PM, Haywarduck said:

I would argue the standard should be a dynamic level where the players and opponent should be taken into consideration. 

Is the standard always going to be Mariota or Herbert? Is the standard always going to be 11-12 wins, without any consideration for the schedule?

As an athlete who was never elite, but tried harder than most, I had to look beyond did I win, or what place did I get. I looked at how did I perform based on what I brought to the race, competition. Sometimes I won, sometimes I lost, but I always left it all at the competition, both mentally and physically. 

I  would then be very critical about my performance. The only way to get better is an honest look at what was possible, how could I improve. Even this didn't stop me from being satisfied with the outcome, win or lose.

The standard should really be based on honest effort and development, not some standard that is unattainable. With this in consideration, I applaud Anthony Brown, and Moorhead. I won't get into the rest of the staff, moving forward with my same green glasses! I love my Ducks and want to see if they can bring the magic tomorrow!

Good take. 1-2 vs the top 25. Failed to win a conference with but 6 bowl eligible teams. Failed to win a conference that had only two Blue Chip roster teams. I shudder to think where these Ducks under (way down under) Mario would have finished in the B1G E or in the SEC W? For that matter, how about the B12? Could Mario have had the team ready to play a down Clemson and very good and also ranked Pitt,  Wake and NC ST teams? IMO, the team played up to its talent level in 1 game this season.

The standard: Did the QB lead his team to the playoff? Mariota did so and Herbert could have done so if he had been surrounded by better coaches. Brown against a weak SOS played to his talent level.

Against the 'competition' in the Pac-12, the Ducks should win at least 10 games every season. And should not get blown out twice by a 3L Pac-12 team. 'Honest effort and development?' You are what your record says you are. 

I too would love to see the Ducks win tomorrow. But of equal importance to me; I want the team to show up, compete and not give up.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sometimes you just have to accept that it is what it is.

10-3, win at the shoe, King of the North, vanquished the Fuskies and the Nutria.

Lots of injuries, lots of youth, coaching turnover, covid hangover in the west.

Phenomenal play by Sewell, McKinley, Dye, rotating/shifting lineman, Dorlus, Popo.

Brown hit a PR in 2021. Never quit, never complained, stayed classy, and always a warrior. 

What more could you ask for? 

It's been pretty dang good year, all things...

• Thumbs Up 4

On 12/28/2021 at 10:00 AM, Drake said:

There was an illusion that we were one of the top teams in the country after beating tOSU. However, as the season progressed it became obvious that we were overrated. Primarily because the offense could not stay on the field against lesser teams. 

AB had an “outstanding season” based upon his abilities. He just is not an elite level QB. 

Nicely stated. Of course the Ducks were vastly overrated. That became abundantly clear against Stony Brook and continued for the rest of the season.

And, I agree, Brown did not underperform. Based on his average skill level, he lived up to his potential.

And he never made excuses, never pointed fingers.

Class guy.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/28/2021 at 10:16 AM, Haywarduck said:

This is what makes Fishduck an awesome place. We can disagree and make our case without demeaning the other points of view. I completely disagree with some of the outlooks, but can respect and understand them. We are all great Duck fans, and bring a diverse set of experiences, mentalities, biases, and that is ok!

Amen.  It is not often we disagree, but I love how we all can do so with each other without it getting personal.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/28/2021 at 9:36 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Never, and I mean never did I hear or see AB blame others. He repeatedly owned it.

Completely agree.

I wish the team was at full strength for the Alamo Bowl.  I think Moorehead stuck around to show us all what the offense would have looked like without the Cristobal millstone around its neck.  Unfortunately, he doesn't have the full deck of cards on hand to play with against the Sooners.

• Thumbs Up 1

Brown is an average quarterback... He is often ranked right in the middle of the entire NCAA for passing efficiency. 

Now that is not good enough for Oregon and what we expect out of our offense and quarterback. 

It is good enough for most teams though and it is amazing to see just how well we did this season with a completely average, middle of the pack quarterback. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/28/2021 at 2:57 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

I wish the team was at full strength for the Alamo Bowl.  I think Moorehead stuck around to show us all what the offense would have looked like without the Cristobal millstone around its neck.  Unfortunately, he doesn't have the full deck of cards on hand to play with against the Sooners.

If wishes were horses ... Totally agree. The rosters of both rosters ranked at 9 Oklahoma, and 12 Oregon, by 247 Sports Team Talent Rankings, are depleted due to injury and opt outs. So many Ducks who are a part of this talent ranking are out tomorrow. But Oklahoma has its top 3 guys on D out and the starting TE out.

The X factor in this game IMO is OK QB Caleb Williams. Without KT in the line up will the D be able to hold Williams down? OK clearly has the edge at QB. The all important position. Compare UGA's D to what it did all season long and how it played versus the Heisman Trophy winner, Bryce Young, playing QB for Bama. 

I NEVER bet against the Ducks. But if I did I'd go large with the Sooners -4.5. Brown will have to play the game of his life to come close to Williams talent. I only hope that post-game Williams does not enter the portal and follow Riley to USC? He would be a game changer for the Trojans in 2022 and 2023. He would be by far the best QB in the Pac-12.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/28/2021 at 12:25 PM, David Marsh said:

Brown is an average quarterback... He is often ranked right in the middle of the entire NCAA for passing efficiency. 

Now that is not good enough for Oregon and what we expect out of our offense and quarterback. 

It is good enough for most teams though and it is amazing to see just how well we did this season with a completely average, middle of the pack quarterback. 

Great take DM but consider the opposition?  Average at best when considering the state of the conference. I admire Brown for having the guts to overcome 2 serious knee injuries.  A gutty, gritty competitor who played at his talent level.

It would be very interesting to learn how Mario and Joe meshed or did not mesh in 2021? 

Coming into 2021, 247 Sports ranked Oregon 12th in its Team Talent Rankings. This is likely why the Ducks won all but 1 of the 1 score games it played in?

Jon the portal will be like capturing lightning in a bottle. Those that catch it will potentially reap great rewards. Williams to USC might fall in that category, if it were to happen. 

Wonder if any Ducks will be heading to Miami? If they don't that could reveal a great deal.

Besides anything is possible. Just heard that Houston beat Auburn. You know that team from the 8th largest media market in America.

A team and market that maybe we could have had. I guess somethings just aren't possible..........

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/28/2021 at 12:29 PM, Jon Joseph said:

He would be by far the best QB in the Pac-12.

Not only that, at USC, Williams would be the roadblock for Young winning a 2nd Heisman at Alabama.  Hopefully he and Venables develop a bond that keeps him at Oklahoma. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/28/2021 at 3:39 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Jon the portal will be like capturing lightning in a bottle. Those that catch it will potentially reap great rewards. Williams to USC might fall in that category, if it were to happen. 

Wonder if any Ducks will be heading to Miami? If they don't that could reveal a great deal.

Besides anything is possible. Just heard that Houston beat Auburn. You know that team from the 8th largest media market in America.

A team and market that maybe we could have had. I guess somethings just aren't possible..........

SEC to date in its bowl games. A+M, scratch. L Florida, Mizzou and Auburn, with UF and Auburn falling to G5 opponents and Independent Army taking down MIZZOU with a walk off FG.

Wish it could be Pac-20 member Houston? Dana Holgerson really turned the Cougars around in his 3rd season as HC. BTW, in CBB, Houston is ranked 12. Would Auburn have won with Nix at QB?

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 12/28/2021 at 12:46 PM, Jon Joseph said:

SEC to date in its bowl games. A+M, scratch. L Florida, Mizzou and Auburn, with UF and Auburn falling to G5 opponents and Independent Army taking down MIZZOU with a walk off FG.

Wish it could be Pac-20 member Houston? Dana Holgerson really turned the Cougars around in his 3rd season as HC. BTW, in CBB, Houston is ranked 12. Would Auburn have won with Nix at QB?

Jon

Auburn would have scored more points with Bo under center. Not sure about the outcome changing.  Experience can pay dividends.

Do we have 10 wins without AB and his experience? Just don't know.  

I am so concerned that while the PAC stands pat that the wheels are turning by those that want better or more. That win mattered to Houston, the AAC and the future BIG 12.

Wether those wanting more are the networks or other AD'S leading their conferences or both. 

Rest assured their are aggressive forward thinkers(AD'S, network executives, marketing gurus and deep, deep picket boosters) looking out for their interests.

Not the PAC's..........

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/28/2021 at 10:16 AM, Haywarduck said:

The standard should really be based on honest effort and development, not some standard that is unattainable.

My response isn't to you personally Haywarduck, just a response to the ether world.

Yes and no. Effort and development are two different things when evaluating personnel on the field. You can give it everything you've got and it's just not enough. The very next game you develop and your 'best' garners an additional 25 yards. Case in point is, AB should have developed over 6 years. He didn't. I'm not saying he wasn't our best option. I'm simply expressing that his QB play was average at best and all of us should expect more for Oregon. Is this unreasonable, or unattainable? I don't think so. The PAC from top to bottom wasn't even average in quality this year. WSU coach, gone. UW, USC, Oregon coaches, gone. Arizona was a joke. ASU can't put it together. UCLA finally had a winning season. Do you see any team other than Utah that puts fear in your heart? Any? I don't. 

With that said, Oregon should have pounded every PAC opponent by 17-24 points. Their defense did well, except that over the middle soft spot. Oregon was late to the game every game largely due to average QB play. Sure, Oregon found ways to win. Defense found lots of turn overs and its just a law of averages at this point. tOSU struggled in Defensive scheme. AB played a sub 50% game. Let's be honest. We were fortunate to win that game with a QB play like that. I'm glad I witnessed this monumental win. It was a solid win. Hanging my hat win. But, AB wasn't the difference make. 

And No. AB will struggle at best in the NFL. I'm still trying to see how he even has a shot in the draft. I'm not sour grapes, I hope he makes it. I hope he lights up the NFL. But has anyone seen anything that makes you say....wow? Objectively, I see nothing that says NFL in his play. 

My standard is high. It's winning. AB has done that. Some because of play, but most in spite of it. That's just me looking over my green and yellow glasses for an astute look at the product on the field while sighing a gasp of relief for a 10 win season.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

AB is a stand up guy, a gritty competitor and a team leader. He also just has a limited skill set and would be a decent starter on an average team. On a top ten team he would be a good back up QB that could at least steady the ship if disaster strikes. Expecting him to carry the load the entire season is a failure by the adults in charge of having 4/5 star QBs ready to lead the team.

Most of the season I felt more frustrated for AB being put in a position he wasn't equipped for rather than being frustrate with him for the results of his efforts. In the championship game I felt he should have been pulled simply for his own mental health.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 2:07 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Most of the season I felt more frustrated for AB being put in a position he wasn't equipped for rather than being frustrate with him for the results

This! Is my viewpoint!

An extremely high character player put in a position that wasn't his strong suit. San Francisco 49'ers offense of the late 80's would suit his style with a bit of run option in the mix.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really like the diverse comments about Anthony Brown in this thread.

Very thoughtful and direct, both pro and con. I support both lines of thinking. 

I just wonder what we were supposed to expect from AB?  Some comments have clearly felt a 6th year senior should be prepared and better........ sure...... sounds good.

Doesn't the end result depend on the preparation? The quality of teaching that went into AB?

What kind of quality coaching did AB get at Boston College? Since 2015 BC is 42-44. Does that speak to getting quality instruction? Or nothing more than average.......

Then AB came to Oregon under a HC who is 62-60. Came to a school that had under developed their QB's since Marcus. Sure we win games, better than average. However our QB track record the last 6 years is not stellar. Is it better than average?

(Justin was a gift that helps support a staff that held him back)

I can look at the situation with rose colored or green and gold glasses but that's an illusion 

I ask myself, how much quality QB coaching has Anthony Brown received in 6 seasons?

Maybe AB played above the average coaching he received at both schools...........

On 12/28/2021 at 2:28 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Maybe AB played above the average coaching he received at both schools.........

Yeah, not sure if he played above Cristobal. But all season he was just what Cristobal wanted, and by no means was this a phenomenal season for Oregon football. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/28/2021 at 2:36 PM, 30Duck said:

Yeah, not sure if he played above Cristobal. But all season he was just what Cristobal wanted, and by no means was this a phenomenal season for Oregon football. 

30 Duck

U are right. This has not been a phenomenal season for Oregon football.

Yet the players overcame so much adversity to get 10 wins. An unheard of, impossible win in the shoe....

Yet, I agree that this was not a phenomenal year..... I need to go in the bathroom and wash my high expectations down a level....

Oh what could have been.

Go Ducks, get that 11th win....

On 12/28/2021 at 3:39 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

I'm worried that a few of the guys MIA from practice might be joining Mario in MIA? 

On 12/28/2021 at 3:38 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I'm worried that a few of the guys MIA from practice might be joining Mario in MIA? 

It's very possible..........

It makes me wonder, if the Coaching was not willing to put in the time to Develop the talent.  Was it easier to hand the reins over to someone with less talent but understood managing on the field.  The youth on this team, seem too content on handling the clipboard than going out there and competing on the field.

Shough would rather leave than compete for the starting role.  None of the other QB's would step up to challenge for the starting role?  Two of them being 3 years into the program by 2021?  Now with Bo Nix in the mix for starting position going into 2022, who decides to leave next Ashford, Butterfield or Thomson?

Why not go out and EARN that spot by giving your best, show some leadership, giving your best shot?  Oregon, your team mates and the team deserve your best efforts!  As far as athletes looking to join Mario, Let them!  Get rid of the ones that sit on the sidelines.  Letting others do the work while they hold clip boards and dole out the water, for those on the field who put it out for the team everyday.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/28/2021 at 4:25 PM, EzDucksIt said:

It makes me wonder, if the Coaching was not willing to put in the time to Develop the talent.  Was it easier to hand the reins over to someone with less talent but understood managing on the field.  The youth on this team, seem too content on handling the clipboard than going out there and competing on the field.

Interesting take and I think it came down to what Mario wanted to see on the field. He wanted a tough, run first qb. The youth on this team wants to pass first and run second. I would be shocked if one of our qb's followed Mario to Miami. They may transfer, but unless they really drank the kool-aid, they aren't following Mario.

Mario didn't want to see a throwing qb learn on the field. He had a hard enough time letting an elite NFL level talent qb throw the ball under his system. He brought in AB, knowing what his skill set was. AB was Cristobal's guy all the way. Moorhead then got all he could out of him.

The youth on this team, in my opinion, are begging for the chance to compete. They are excited about what is next, and it will be interesting to see who comes out on top.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/28/2021 at 4:53 PM, Haywarduck said:

Interesting take and I think it came down to what Mario wanted to see on the field. He wanted a tough, run first qb. The youth on this team wants to pass first and run second. I would be shocked if one of our qb's followed Mario to Miami. They may transfer, but unless they really drank the kool-aid, they aren't following Mario.

Mario didn't want to see a throwing qb learn on the field. He had a hard enough time letting an elite NFL level talent qb throw the ball under his system. He brought in AB, knowing what his skill set was. AB was Cristobal's guy all the way. Moorhead then got all he could out of him.

The youth on this team, in my opinion, are begging for the chance to compete. They are excited about what is next, and it will be interesting to see who comes out on top.

I felt like, we had these talents and NONE of THEM wanted to be THE GUY????  This is what these guys live for, Ashford, Dual Threat and Baseball, WHAT?  Butterfield, Same size as Herbert, Shough likes riding the bench instead of realizing a dream to be a NFL QB, WHAT?  Thompson, with all the hype but what, lacking game maturity, maybe, WHAT?

You have either, inept coaching evaluation or terrible development of talent.  I think both.  How can you have these three bench sitters still being not as good as AB?

AB has not become better as the season moved forward even after 13 games.  None of those QB's improved enough to at least challenge him?  Something very wrong here.

Now Bo Nix, in the Mix?  I would get how a new coach would bring in the experience because he may not know what he has in three veteran QB's in the program.  Bo Nix, in my mind, just like with AB last year, provides insurance to the QB room.  Veteran talent, experience for if the YOUTH does get hurt or needs veteran mentors on the sideline to guide the youth through the ups and downs or fill in for injury.

To the YOUTH sitting on the Bench, Get Up or Get Out!  Leading from your seat, is not Leading.  The Elite talent, does everything they can, to see the field from the field, not holding a clipboard.  Go Ducks, spread your wings and FLY!

• Thumbs Up 2

Im getting the feeling that the 3 QBs we have heard so much about may in fact not be all that great. Maybe they fail under pressure? Lets face it, D linemen are getting bigger and faster as time goes on. Its one thing to be a great passer in high school and another in major college ball.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would venture a guess, that consistently looking at the field from ones back and 15 guys on your chest is not such a pleasant experience.  Having someone bearing down on you like a locomotive out of control, looking to place you in the intensive care unit, has its recurring nightmares and sudden panic attacks that feels like its the end of the world.

But rest assured, if you get good at recognizing the pre snap reads and know how you might counter it, you can avoid injuries and body casts that other less talented QB's are familiar.  That or the big opening in the middle of the field that if you were a faster runner, may have made if God had gifted you with slowing the game down to a more manageable speed and faster legs.

On 12/28/2021 at 10:30 AM, woundedknees said:

It sits solely on the shoulders and in the hands of the Oregon coaches, whether out of fear, denial, or pure, ornery, stubbornness.

Grandpa owned a jackass when I was a kid. That cantankerous critter had a small corral, with a 10' wide creek (which, in the summer, might have been less than a foot deep), separating it from 70 acres of open, green, pasture.

The epitome of "mule headed" is th fact that the only way we could get him into the pasture was to hook his halter to the John Deere, and lead (or drag, if you will) 200 pounds of donkey to the other side.

That is what I witnessed from MC lead Oregon coaches this season, in a nutshell.

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

hahaha!!!!  Having spent time in the woods (and other places) with horse & mule pack trains, this brings back a lot of memories... some hilarious, others less than... Thanks for sharing this story!

I'm pretty sure if you look up the definition for "mule-headed", you'll find an autographed picture of MC... LOL!!

Anyway, looking forward to the bowl game tomorrow!  Give 'em heck and play to the best of your collective abilities, and maybe good things happen!

Go Ducks!!!

• Haha 1

On 12/28/2021 at 7:25 PM, EzDucksIt said:

Shough would rather leave than compete for the starting role.  None of the other QB's would step up to challenge for the starting role?  Two of them being 3 years into the program by 2021?  Now with Bo Nix in the mix for starting position going into 2022, who decides to leave next Ashford, Butterfield or Thomson?

Why not go out and EARN that spot by giving your best, show some leadership, giving your best shot?  Oregon, your team mates and the team deserve your best efforts!  As far as athletes looking to join Mario, Let them!  Get rid of the ones that sit on the sidelines.  Letting others do the work while they hold clip boards and dole out the water, for those on the field who put it out for the team everyday.

Terrific comment. Hopefully we will turn from small ball to attack football? Lanning, I more than hope, saw how UGA improved when Todd Monken was hired as OC. The UGA D this season was fantastic but UGA also put up impressive numbers on O. The UGA O moved into the 21st century.

Smart got smarter and followed his old boss Saint Nick and opened up the O. AB was/is right in Mario's play not to take the L wheelhouse. Don't push the envelop and win many the 1 score game because you punched the other guy in the mouth.

Lanning watched Dillingham when both were coaching at Memphis. I'm hoping that Lanning will run an O that will not further tarnish the Oregon brand and make the opposition do more than load up to stop the run game. Shough retrogressed at Oregon. AB's high water mark came in the 2nd game of the season when he started against and defeated a top 25 opponent for the first and only time.

I agree, if players want to follow 62-60 Mario to MIA; well, best of luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

The original offensive sin was taking a quarterback who two years later couldn't consistently throw a deep out within 4 feet of the receiver or a crossing pattern to wear the defensive man can't reach it. It's not AB s fault. AB gave his all. You can't ask for more. But did he really have the potential skillet to be top Pac 10 QB. 

Really was he the best choice in the portal. Remember MC was a master recruiter. I think highly of AB but not so much of his coaches decisions. However I wish the all future success.

Re-name the U... "Miasma"

On 12/28/2021 at 10:30 AM, woundedknees said:

Do I want the Ducks to win every game?

After seeing the 12-0 performance a few seasons ago, I realize it's 'possible', but for all but a very few teams, unlikely

It's "lightning in a bottle".

AB gave everything he had, occasionally exceeding his own limitations.

I find it disappointing, to put it mildly,  that coaches did not seize the chance to find how well the younger players might have navigated the waters of adversity when AB struggled mightily, at times.

THAT, is not on AB. 

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

The only thing I would add is if that mule could have talked, he would have convinced everyone he was already over in the 70 acre pasture, just waiting for everyone else. Not sure I have seen or read a better description of the mule miami bought.

• Haha 1

Just to put another log on the 2021 duck season fire, I put the 2020 duck rose bowl team. No less than 12 ducks from that team, suited up and played in the NFL last week.

let that marinate awhile.

• Thumbs Up 1