Charles Fischer

Holy CRAP! Bo Nix Has it ALL!

My gosh!  He can throw the long-ball, fire the missile for the first down, has GREAT feet in eluding the rush and has tremendous pocket-presence.  Just watching the first two minutes makes you wonder about how last year's Oregon football season would have gone with HIM at QB?  Same team, same injuries, but I bet....

The way he gets away from LSU rushers at 3:50, and the sweet lofting passes at 5:40Try,...try to watch that and not get excited!

And this was only from 2021...brought to us courtesy of "Nevada Dawg," and I thank him!

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

He was inconsistent at Auburn but not in his frosh season with Dillingham as his OC. In 2021 had he stayed healthy I believe Auburn would have defeated Bama, kept Bama out of the playoff, taken the heat off HC Harsin, and perhaps, Nix would not have transferred?

I think he sees his best path to the NFL as once again playing for Dillingham and also except for the opening game, going against lesser Ds than he did in the SEC. (And this UGA team has lost a lot of quality D starters.)

I expect the QB competition will go into to fall but I will be very surprised, unless Nix' ankle isn't fully healed, if a young man with playing experience in a mid-division HS league in Arizona can beat out a guy who started in the SEC for 3 seasons.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

He had more passing highlights in one game (any of them) than AB did all season. 

Yes, what could have been.

Should be a fun season.

Boy that would be a switch 

Nix has had the same thing happen to him that Herbert did in college. Each season was a different OC with a new offense to learn.

Fortunately for JH, he oozed so much raw talent out of the gate that he could fill Crater Lake. He could also obliterate most of North Korea with sheer kinetic power of one throw.

While Nix has huge upside, I think too much of it was wasted with a head coach that wanted to run the ball (Malzahn) and another who just wasn't able to get the offense clicking consistently while he was with Nix (Harsin). It seems like with some consistency with an OC that can play to his strengths, Bo could absolutely look the part of a Vernon Adams. And if that happens, the folks down at USC may stay up a little later at night. 

• Thumbs Up 3

After last season, just the fact that he converted a couple 3rd and longs is enough to get me excited!

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

I remember 3rd and long completions.

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

There’s a skill set displayed in that composite Nix video that surpassed last years quarterback play. Good arm but not a +plus arm. IMHO 

Nix may have it all, but in Canzano’s column today he quoted Dave Bartoo of Matrix Analytical who has ranked top the 12 play callers in the Pac-12 for 2022 and Dillingham was ranked 10th.

Does he know something we don’t?

On 4/8/2022 at 1:27 PM, DUCKED said:

Does he know something we don’t?

I was waiting for that....every offensive coordinator everywhere, including Chip and Helf were installing the No-Huddle, Fast Tempo offense for their first timeNobody had done since the 90s when Chip came along, and everybody has studied it and installed it just fine.

I am not going negative until I have a reason to be, and I will not hold off or delay.  I was all-over Cristobal and his offense in the first month of his first year--that was all I needed to see.  With all the recent talk about the "Oregon Brand," and fast tempo--I am confident in seeing a higher scoring offense, and yet he will screw-up on occasion (as we all do) with the learning curve of truly running his first program.

If he had done it already as a proven high caliber OC--we would not have been able to hire him.  We hired him as we do with recruiting, IMHO...for the upside.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

Charles,  thanks for posting that video. I realize these were the best plays he had and I gather there were some bonehead miscues that he made as well,  but there is a lot here to like.

The positives I see are good mechanics and pocket presence. Patience to let his receivers get open without getting antsy or happy feet. He gets the ball out quickly. No jail alai windmill throwing motion like we saw all too often last year. Steps up in the pocket and anticipates pressure pretty well. Not elite accuracy and he doesn't have a JH cannon grafted to his right shoulder but has good zip and will  thread the needle more often than not. He has the huevos to air it out for the home run, uses his TEs effectively and is a decent runner when it is time to hoof it as either a planned run or when the pocket breaks down. 

Some specifics that caught my eye:

Some great scrambles and an ability to see down field even as he runs for his life,  with a beautiful throw at the end.  (See clips at 2:34, 2:58 and 4:45)

Can hit the seam between defenders.  (0:46)

Can throw the out and put where only his guy can catch it   (1:18)

Makes a nice back shoulder throw to his WR in traffic (I'm guessing/hoping that was a planned throw).  (1:50)

There were more examples but enough here to feel good about the skill set. So maybe Nix is not a first round talent, but a he's a real improvement over last year. And If Thompson beats him out for the starting job, then the bar has been set to a high level and so much the better.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/8/2022 at 1:45 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I was waiting for that....every offensive coordinator everywhere, including Chip and Helf were installing the No-Huddle, Fast Tempo offense for their first timeNobody had done since the 90s when Chip came along, and everybody has studied it and installed it just fine.

I am not going negative until I have a reason to be, and I will not hold off or delay.  I was all-over Cristobal and his offense in the first month of his first year--that was all I needed to see.  With all the recent talk about the "Oregon Brand," and fast tempo--I am confident in seeing a higher scoring offense, and yet he will screw-up on occasion (as we all do) with the learning curve of truly running his first program.

If he had done it already as a proven high caliber OC--we would not have been able to hire him.  We hired him as we do with recruiting, IMHO...for the upside.

The complete list:

1.  Lincoln Riley, USC

2.  Chip Kelly, UCLA

3.  David Shaw, Stanford

4.  Andy Ludwig, Utah

5.  Brian Lindgren, Oregon State

6.  Kalen DeBoer, Washington

7.  Mike Sanford, Colorado

8.  Eric Morris, Washington State

9.  Glenn Thomas, Arizona State

10. Kenny Dillingham, Oregon

11. Brennan Carroll, Arizona

12. Bill Musgrave, Cal

So Bo goes for the Heisman, and then Ty or Butters takes over next year, it would seem? We are again, qb U, and our offense is back, love it!

• Thumbs Up 1

It will be nice to see a QB that can get the ball in the general vicinity and let the receivers have a chance to work for a reception.  Last year was 10ft over the receivers head. Who will be Bo's #5?

On 4/8/2022 at 11:26 AM, Charles Fischer said:

My gosh!  He can throw the long-ball, fire the missile for the first down, has GREAT feet in eluding the rush and has tremendous pocket-presence.  Just watching the first two minutes makes you wonder about how last year's Oregon football season would have gone with HIM at QB?  Same team, same injuries, but I bet....

The way he gets away from LSU rushers at 3:50, and the sweet lofting passes at 5:40Try,...try to watch that and not get excited!

And this was only from 2021...brought to us courtesy of "Nevada Dawg," and I thank him!

Yeah who would have thought after that huge win in the shoe that things would have ended the way they did. I just didn't see AB being the guy ever after the Stanford debaucle. That team sucked and any decent QB should have been capable of beating them with all that talent. Thanks Fishduck for I love it when your excited for a QB. It just tells me we must be loaded because I still think Dillingham likes what he see's in Thompson. Either way I believe we have a 11-1 team whoever plays QB.

On 4/8/2022 at 3:34 PM, Haywarduck said:

So Bo goes for the Heisman, and then Ty or Butters takes over next year, it would seem? We are again, qb U, and our offense is back, love it!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t Nix have two years of eligibility left……if he chooses to stick around?

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 9:35 PM, DUCKED said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t Nix have two years of eligibility left……if he chooses to stick around?

Yep!

Mr. FishDuck

Love the video, thanks!   Nix is athletic, good vision looking downfield, and quick decision making. 

But the one thing he has which I love is a lightning quick release.  From the time he sees his receiver until the ball leaves his hand is quick!

Justin Herbert is also quick in his throwing motion.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nix is very good at making plays during "Off-Platform throws"

In my opinion Nix has very good but not elite skills as a QB and something even more valuable for a winning season--EXPERIENCE in the toughest college conference there is. Your younger QBs may be super talented ( (I don't know) but I'd bet that new HC Lanning will strongly favor a very good, versatile, and experienced QB over relative novices. I doubt that Nix was promised a starting job to get him to come (the Georgia coaches have never made that promise to anyone I am told).

Your younger guy is getting first team reps in the Spring to keep him engaged, and hopefully the coaches will play him in second halves of games that the Ducks  have in hand so that he can develop. I too agree with the posters that Oregon undoubtedly have been more formidable last year  had they had Nix rather than Brown at helm.  

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Brown might have been more formidable if his receivers were that wide-open that often.

In addition to having wide-open team-mates to throw at (I saw wide open guys have to make some wicked adjustments), Bo is good playmaker, and one I’d be happy with if he wins the job, but wouldn’t it be cool if he was the 2nd best QB on the team!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/8/2022 at 9:35 PM, DUCKED said:

Correct, but my take is Bo will be gone if he has a great season. Who knows though, just one scenario. Noah, Bo and others may be gone after this season.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Enjoying Nevada Dawg's Bo Nix youtube share. 
Nice moves by Nix at 1:58 and especially at 2:18. 

Note: at 4:09 his hilights vs. Georgia.  

Edited by GoDux

If Ty or Butters can beat him out WOW but I believe Bo is going to be the best QB we've had since oh I don't know J. Herbert / M Mariota.

He's a former 5* that has tons of experience and a new start with a better offense, both scheme and players then what he's had before.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/8/2022 at 11:07 PM, PittDuck said:

Brown might have been more formidable if his receivers were that wide-open that often

I have to disagree.  Brown had plenty of receivers open in both Utah games and he missed them.  And I'm talking WIDE OPEN.

In addition, Brown would not go through his full set of progressions, would throw early to offset INTERNAL ( inside his own head)  pressure, and didn't insist on getting the speedy guys playing time .

Nix is very effective throwing the ball when he is moving ( much like MM- who is lethal on the move).  I suspect Dillingham will throw multiple versions of passing plays that will exploit that specific skill set 

I'm also looking for Dillingham to feature TT's strengths of getting the ball downfield.  I believe TT needs to develop more.  Once he gets it though- look out.  I've seen enough of TT when he is confident.  Not sure he gets there before Nix demonstrates his capabilities as a leader.

TT must be ready though. I'm not sure Nix discussed a full season.  And we haven't even discussed the most accurate QB- Butterfield.  

Lanning's talk is to convince the " rookies" to stay.  A tough task in this NIL world.  Butterfield and TT can do damage just about anywhere.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I saw open un covered receivers in many games. Too many.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stats don't jump off the page for Nix at Auburn, but at least his completion percentage went up every season and his INT's last year was only 3.  Having a familiar OC and offense hopefully will be good for him.

On 4/11/2022 at 1:25 PM, Tandaian said:

Stats don't jump off the page for Nix at Auburn, but at least his completion percentage went up every season and his INT's last year was only 3.  Having a familiar OC and offense hopefully will be good for him.

Great take.

Additionally for the record, Nix is 0-3 vs UGA. 639 passing yards (213 a game) with 1 TD and 2 INTS. 

Auburn and TN don't have it easy. Only 2 teams that have to play UGA and Bama every season.