cartm25

Best Question / Most Telling (Hilarious) Answer from MC Post Game Presser

Question:

"What's wrong with Tyler? That's not the guy we've ever seen last season in this offense. Any rhyme or reason why he's struggling right now?"

Answer by MC:

"Scheme change, you know. It's different."

What's incredible is that MC gives the CORRECT answer. His scheme IS the problem in and of itself, but he can't/won't recognize it. He thinks the problem is that the QB isn't proficient enough in his scheme, rather than his offensive (emphasis on "offensive") philosophy is the Heisman hopeful QB destroyer.

Also, I've noticed a change in MC. Anyone else see it??:

image.png.aecbfc70a803d6517ec76e65095506cb.png

image.png.358769947f530052b86de4220d318693.png 

image.png.501f0888150b8133d070320d21496432.png

• Great post! 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yes, Mario's scheme is not friendly to the quarterback position.  He should just stop pretending he needs one and just go permanent Wildcat.  

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1

Cristobal's demeanour changed a lot while at Oregon. 

When he was first promoted to HC he was actually very open and honest with the media. He didn't hide injuries and he answered the majority of the questions honestly, or at least as honestly as any coach can without giving away the game plan. 

By the time he left Oregon he was cagey and non-responsive and downright dismissive of questions. 

Lanning doesn't answer many questions at all but he has been honest with reporters in saying he will never answer a question about injuries so don't even ask them. Lanning also at least has a smile on his face. Lanning gets the media game even if he doesn't really want to participate but he'll smile and answer what he can. 

Cristobal doesn't even want to play that game anymore, he has to play it but he doesn't even look like he is happy to be there, even if he's not. 

• Applause 1

I think Mario had this expression below when thinking of

that "FishDuck" guy who had been questioning his offense

since his first month as Oregon HC...

Mario Cristobal_247 Video.jpg

• Haha 8
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

The interesting thing is he didn't like the booing his offense received after years of understanding and hope. It will be interesting to see how he reacts to the pressure cooker he signed onto. The guys skin is paper thin.

I think one of the answers to why we create and develop coaches is, we allow for growth and development to happen. There are always critics, but the majority of the Oregon faithful are accepting that the road to success is fraught with failure.

Most programs, especially ones which pay $8 million a year expect a coach to have all the answers. MariØ didn't fully understand the question and he certainly didn't understand the implications of his answer.

After the last couple weekends I think it is becoming more certain the state of Florida will scrutinize hiring an Oregon coach a little more closely. I also think it is still a mystery why we do so well, and no, it isn't all PK.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Charles, 

You are too honest and cut to the chase.  Dan Lanning has as least the appearance of someone who can see the positive in negative situations.  Teachable moments, Developing and Correcting mistakes making better players, teammates and people.  Big Picture kind of guy.

Mario, is all about control but that is like an illusion.  His job is to bring in those individual players and coaches to build a working team.  He does not get it.  See what $8 Million a year gets you, Mario the Micro Manager of Miami.

Animated GIF

The Miami Football Program under Mario Cristobal

Reality will quickly set in after two weeks of prepping for whatever Carolina and nothing changes and they once again get easily rolled. That won't be the QB, that won't be the OC or DC, that will be the stubborn mule they have as a coach.

• Haha 1

After all the OBD FishDuck comments and articles I've seen, I am convinced if MC would actually let his staff do their jobs knowing they will mistakes at times, he could have a national contender in a short time.

But, he'll never get there under his current game philosophy, which results in a high turnover rate. 

Moorehead took a huge step down. I don't blame him. But, the real question no one may ever know is what caused the hospitalization right before last year's Stanford game?

I do feel sorry for Mario, but his pride is hurting himself and a lot of other people.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/26/2022 at 8:31 AM, cartm25 said:

Also, I've noticed a change in MC. Anyone else see it??:

Well, he's aged a bit - can't help that.  The youthful naivety is gone.  Reality is settling in that he might just be in over his head.  I guess I can't understand why the obsession on this forum about MC's troubles at UM? 

We all thought he was a decent guy, but not the right fit for Oregon.  It's now becoming clear to many that maybe he doesn't have the genes for a Head Coach at the Div. I level.  I guess we felt like a girl dumped after her first date with a guy:  jilted.  But why do we persist on pounding on him?  

He's gone from Oregon.  Let him stay gone.  GO OREGON!

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/26/2022 at 11:17 AM, Mic said:

But why do we persist on pounding on him?  

Because....

1) It is fun.

2) It is entertaining.

3) It makes us grateful as hell that he is gone.

I never said I was noble...

• Haha 5
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/26/2022 at 11:20 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Because....

1) It is fun.

2) It is entertaining.

3) It makes us grateful as hell that he is gone...

Well, I'll certainly go with the last reason!

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess I can't understand why the obsession on this forum about MC's troubles at UM? 

Perhaps it is not entirely Mario.

There used to be a lot of continuity with the Oregon coaching staff until CK went to Philly. Since then, if Oregon has success, other programs are hiring our assistants, or head coaches in a rather short time. 

Coaches become the “hired gun” that will turn around a program that is in disarray.

I guess the amusing part is that most fans felt Oregon was on the wrong track with it’s offense, and now that Miami hired part of our problem, they appear to be flying off the rails as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Every week OregonLive does a rundown on past Oregon players at their new team. Has anyone ever done a list of past Oregon coaches that continued coaching and their success.

A good historian could start before John  Robinson and McKay. We remember Jeff Tedford at Cal and Musgrave and Frost. Oregon has a long coaching line.

Who do you remember? 

On 9/26/2022 at 11:42 AM, Drake said:

Perhaps it is not entirely Mario.
Coaches become the “hired gun” that will turn around a program that is in disarray

There've been successes in that regard, all right, but plenty of busts as well.  (O's experiment with Taggert and Cristobal on the latter side of things).  

Lanning could (emphasis on could) be the former and get O rolling again which we all hope is the case.  It'd sure be a pity if, after getting Oregon back on the winning track, he ends up getting snatched away by Alabama or the NFL.  How could we blame him if he left?

On 9/26/2022 at 11:53 AM, Red Eddy Green said:

Who do you remember? 

Well, Peterson was an assistant here once.  And then there's the Cal coach Justin Wilcox.  If we give ourselves a bit we could probably come up with a bunch.

I don't think it is the whole jilted thing, it is more like oh my did that just happen.

Did we just get paid millions and end up with the coach we really wanted all along, so far yes.

Did Miami just pay our problem millions and then begin experiencing the same things we did, so far yes.

I am just curious about how this whole thing plays out, so far so good. 

I also don't think we are pounding on MarØ, he is just continuing to pound on himself, and we are pointing it out and going wow, just wow. How did that just happen?

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2

On 9/26/2022 at 11:20 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Because....

1) It is fun.

2) It is entertaining.

Charles,

You crack me up.  Just do not expect an invitation to his 55th Birthday Party at New Mexico State's Football Witless Protection Program.

On 9/26/2022 at 12:44 PM, Haywarduck said:

I also don't think we are pounding on MarØ, he is just continuing to pound on himself, and we are pointing it out and going wow, just wow. How did that just happen?

Mario is The Cult of Physicality.

A one word catch phrase that masks his epic lack of strategic understanding with tough guy bravado.

The image he projects has so far suckered players, recruits, assistant coaches, fans, reporters and Miami boosters.

The problem is that his one word one hit wonder grows old pretty fast. He bets that by filling the roster with as many stars as he can, they will simply win games by talent gap alone. 

Middle Tennessee just showed the simple formula to taking down a Mario  lead team. Game tape study, counter strategy and game plan execution. 

I think Herbert, Pene and KT all watched their draft spots fall due to Mario’s underwhelming results on the field. Miami’s QB went from Heisman front runner to currently being run out of town in just four games.

I don’t see us as piling on Mario. It’s more like warning the next team of the con man at the wheel steering their team off the cliff.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's noone I know who thinks Mario is a bad dude. And him leaving to go back home to his alma mater and/or to be with his mom before she passed is understandable. The issue for me is the pride/stubbornness that he has shown at Oregon and now at Miami. His unwillingness to change is absolutely breathtaking. He is his own worst enemy. Say what you want about Nick Saban, he was smart enough to realize he needed to evolve as college football changed. Mario can't seem to do that.

As for "pounding on him". Yeah it's a little petty. But I don't care. For years some of us were begging him to change but he told us all to pound sand, that he knows best. Then last year when the heat got turned up and we booed,  not the players but the scheme,  he quit on all of us including his players. You can't convince me otherwise. 

So yes, I'm going to enjoy watching him take the Willie Taggert coaching route and enjoy watching the Ducks playing to win each week. Could he possibly figure it out? Maybe but I  doubt it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Omigosh!  This is too funny!

• Cool 1
  • Haha 2
  • Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

In the words of Les Miles…

Miami: Where high school QB’s and receivers NFL dreams go to die. 

• Haha 1

But why do we persist on pounding on him?  

He's gone from Oregon.  Let him stay gone.  GO OREGON!

A truly noble and challenging question.

I was holding out hoping he could right the ship, but the writing was on the wall when the QB situation was suspect.

In the end a lot of the poking is mostly coming from "we were right" and Miami fans didn't take our word for it.

It is astounding that Miami is experiencing not one, not two but NUMEROUS issues that were pointed out from the first timeout of Mario's Oregon stint.

If Mario turns his train wreck around and Miami fans gloat, I'll be fine with it abd happy for him.

I think a lot of folks would like to see Oregon play Miami in the playoffs. So we can show them what an offensive hurricane really looks like.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Sorry if I miss someone already sharing this...  This was icing on the cake for me Saturday after the OBD win.

THESPUN.COM

CBS Sports' Todd Fuhrman has a warning for any potential blue chip quarterback prospects that may be thinking about coming to Miami to play for Mario

• Thumbs Up 1

I know a lot think MC is a nice guy-I never did. Never liked him-Never will. IMO He was never a real Duck.

• Applause 1

On 9/26/2022 at 5:31 PM, cartm25 said:

I can't speak for the entire OBD Forum, but I will not stop tracking MC's progress . . . until Charles deems that I have finally broken Rule 31 (including sub-Rules "a", "b", and "c") 🙂

Fair enough, I guess.  At least you know the rules! 🕵️‍♂️

On 9/26/2022 at 5:31 PM, cartm25 said:

I can't speak for the entire OBD Forum, but I will not stop tracking MC's progress . . . until Charles deems that I have finally broken Rule 31 (including sub-Rules "a", "b", and "c")

Why would there not ever be a rule violation for tracking/reporting/laughing at MC?  Because...
1) It is fun.

2) It is entertaining.

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/26/2022 at 11:12 AM, nw777b said:

After all the OBD FishDuck comments and articles I've seen, I am convinced if MC would actually let his staff do their jobs knowing they will mistakes at times, he could have a national contender in a short time.

But, he'll never get there under his current game philosophy, which results in a high turnover rate. 

Moorehead took a huge step down. I don't blame him. But, the real question no one may ever know is what caused the hospitalization right before last year's Stanford game?

I do feel sorry for Mario, but his pride is hurting himself and a lot of other people.

Not that it had anything to do with his hospitalization before the Stanford game last year, but Joe and Mario were not getting along at all even before that.   Something happened, not sure what but something changed.  Multiple people have said the same thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/26/2022 at 9:55 PM, Augduck said:

Not that it had anything to do with his hospitalization before the Stanford game last year, but Joe and Mario were not getting along at all even before that.   Something happened, not sure what but something changed.  Multiple people have said the same thing.

I kind of figured that out when I saw that he took a $700K pay cut to take another job.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/26/2022 at 5:26 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I know a lot think MC is a nice guy-I never did. Never liked him-Never will. IMO He was never a real Duck.

I actually think he was a real D_ck. 

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 9/26/2022 at 8:31 AM, cartm25 said:

Question:

What's wrong with Tyler? That's not the guy we've ever seen last season in this offense. Any rhyme or reason why he's struggling right now?

Answer by MC:

He needs to throw the ball with more physicality.  

There.....I fixed it  😜

This is going to sound a little crazy, but I honestly think the loss to MTSU is the best thing that could have happened to Mario.  I know he is probably hurting right now, but getting completely embarrassed by a G5 school at home while coaching the same school that he played for and has so much pride in was the probably wake up call he needed.  If he takes a look in the mirror after this loss and makes some adjustments to his offense, game management, and practice routine, there is a ton of potential for him to build a great program at Miami and for him to be very successful there.  I guess we will wait to see if those adjustments ever come.      

As far as practice is concerned, I watched a very interesting video from a Canes guy.  He said the starters were taking 150+ live snaps per practice and that his opinion is that Mario and Feld are over working players with their "physicality" and "iron sharpening iron" philosophies.  His argument is that the conditioning is not there yet and the depth is not there yet to support that kind of workload on a daily basis in practice.  As a result, the injuries are piling up and the players that are on the field are overworked or are battling minor injuries themselves.  He indicated that he thinks Mario and Feld need to back off a little with their intense practice routines. 

I got the practice info second hand, so take it for what it is worth.   It does seem to make sense in what we are seeing right now.  When you combine the practice routine with the conservative play calling and the poor game management, the end result is a blowout to a G5 team, just like we witnessed.  

And as some others pointed out...for me it is more about all the Canes fans and their attitude for the last 3/4 of the year than it is about Mario for me.   

Edited by GeotechDuck
  • Thumbs Up 1

I still think Mario is a Duck...

He left knowing we could and would get someone better.

I say: Thank you Mario. We could not have done it without your desire to help! HA!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/26/2022 at 1:26 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Omigosh!  This is too funny!

Well Charles, if ya got have a band wagon, might as well have this one!  😆  Onward Mario !!

On 9/27/2022 at 5:47 PM, Mic said:

Well Charles, if ya got have a band wagon, might as well have this one!  😆  Onward Mario !!

I love this thread!