NJDuck

Joseph Goodman (Auburn): Watching Bo Nix With Bitterness in My Heart

Bo Nix success at Oregon got to be hard to swallow for Auburn fans.  Good Article, must read.

WWW.AL.COM

The former Auburn quarterback is leading Oregon to greatness.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 3

That was beautiful article. Insightful and objective, loved it.

• Thumbs Up 5

Dennis Dodd:  "Making the most of his second chance, Nix has Oregon flying high"  Another article on Oregon's success with Nix at the helm.

I am sure Auburn's demise this year without Nix has their fans frowning.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Making the most of his second chance, Nix has Oregon flying high

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Everyone with the ability to see could see that Nix was going to be a stud at Oregon. A lot of people at AU and UO were, unfortunatly, blinded by one thing or another. 

Nix is a football player first and has great QB skills second. When Nix jumps to NFL, hopefully to a decent team with a line, he will show better than he has at Oregon. Dude's a Dude.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Thanks to NJ Duck for that fun read. Good analysis of why Nix ended up in Eugene and is having success with Oregon. And a little shade thrown at those war eagle guys to boot.

We have forgiven freshman Bo for beating Oregon under JH in 2019.

But we Ducks have long memories. Scam Newton. Chizik the jerk (now an defensive assistant at UNC, or something like that). And Dyer's knee was down.

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 7

I love a redemption story......especially one that involves a transfer QB for OBD.

As an old Duck Fan who has seen some ups and more than a few downs, how great would it be to have Bo win the Heisman and the Ducks get to the CFP in Year 1 of the Progrum?

To sleep...perchance to dream.

• Go Ducks! 3
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bo Nix received a luke warm welcome from Oregon fans when he initially transferred. We had just watched a transfer QB the previous season with very mixed results and did not want to have him handed the starting job without proving himself worthy. 

I have to congratulate Bo Nix for making the decision to leave a difficult situation, and putting his future in the hands of a first year head coach and staff. With that said, Auburn has some issues to sort out. 

Bo is having one of the best seasons we have ever seen from our long line of successful QBs. That is not an easy task to accomplish.

Took me a while to buy in to the idea of Bo as the starting QB, but I do know that we would not be nearly as successful without him. 

Welcome to Oregon Bo!!!

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

Count me as one of the skeptics when Bo transferred, I just didn't see him as substantially better than AB (nothing against AB).  As usual though I was cautiously optimistic and a maybe little caught up in the honeymoon period of a new coaching staff.

One of the reasons we love college football is that it is so damn unpredictable and guess what coaches really do matter.  The problem with Mario's status quo for me was that I just started to expect mediocre coaching, so when all of a sudden we get a coaching staff that really knows how to coach everything brightens up all of a sudden and Bo's emergence exemplifies that.  Good for him.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Thanks NL. 

I watched a lot of tape and games that Bo played in at Auburn and I do believe it helped him to be the player he is today. I actually blame the pack 12 network for that. All I can get is the SEC games on their network for my Saturday entertainment.

Bo has learned to escape the pocket as well as anyone I’ve seen this season. Much of his time at Auburn was spent doing just that. It has helped his offensive line put up 0 sacks in all but one of his games here. He always seems to move to the correct side when escaping the pocket because he knows where the defenders are likely to be.

He led Auburn in rushing in several games in the SEC so his running ability was more training he got at Auburn.

His ability to run an offense is as good, or better, as anyone that has played for the Ducks. The first couple games for us he had to line up his young receivers and backs because they were confused on where to be. He handled that superbly. By the way it gave him very little time to survey the field in the Georgia game.

He often changes plays at the line of scrimmage and so far has made most reads correctly with outstanding results. Can you imagine MarinoO allowing that to happen, the whole team would be starring at the sidelines waiting for the one yard plunge to be called.

As Duck fans we are lucky to have Bo and Auburn is sad he’s gone.

Go BO

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Wow, that guy is bitter, but he's honest about it, anyway.

Remember all that angst a few months ago about the "competition" between Nix and Thompson and Butterfield? We were silly, weren't we?

I'd say the truth is that Nix has always been good, just not on good teams and always burdened by his assigned role as the savior of Auburn football.

People argue all the time what's more important:  coaching, system, players, etc.  It works when everything comes together.  Look how mediocre Belichick is in NE without Tom Brady; at the same time, look at how underwhelming Justin Herbert was at Oregon under MC.  Have you ever seen a QB be truly great without a great supporting cast around him, and great coaching?  Or a coach be fantastic without great players?  Shula had Griese and Marino, Noll had Bradshaw, Madden had Stabler, Johnson had Aikman, Reid has Mahomes (and McNabb before that). Archie Manning was terrific, but his team was always horrible, so he never won anything.

Nix got good coaching and a system that works for him, and he's flourished.  He and Dillingham are making each other look good.  One wonders what Brown would have been like under the current coaches, or what Mariota, Akili Smith, Masoli, Kellen Clemens, and others would have been like under MC.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 10/28/2022 at 7:24 AM, NJDuck said:

Bo Nix success at Oregon got to be hard to swallow for Auburn fans.  Good Article, must read.

WWW.AL.COM

The former Auburn quarterback is leading Oregon to greatness.

WOW! Loved that article...

The old idea of college coaches being more valuable than a team’s players is on its way out. Auburn basketball coach Bruce Pearl gets it, and that’s why he’s so successful.

I agree.

Great article, thanks for posting!

I was also skeptical  when I heard of Bo's transfer to Oregon. I always though ne could be a good QB in the right circumstance, but wondered if developing Ty and Butters wasn't a wiser course. 

Yeah, I'll admit I was wrong. 

I do want to see the others developed, but I was wrong about Bo Nix. He is playing like a great QB now. I didn't foresee that. I am happy for him and of course happy for Oregon football! 

Oregon football is fun again! Bo has a lot to do with that!

• Thumbs Up 2

Loved this quote:

"Auburn is a mess, Harsin is awful, and Nix is putting together a strong case that Oregon should be in the conversation for the College Football Playoffs despite that loss to a good team in the SEC East.

Sounds a lot like Alabama to me."

Well, it isn't Alabama...it IS U of Freaking O!! And we want to play Alabama!!

No problem understanding this guy’s anguish. A bit like how many of us felt when Travis transferred to USC. It’s hard not to feel like a dumpster fire with what’s happening there, and echoes how we felt when Mario left for Miami. Feelings of betrayal create bitterness. But, as always, it’s how you respond to adversity that makes all the difference. Can Aubern (that’s for referring to us as ‘OU’) respond as well as Oregon has? Time will tell.

• Haha 1

On 10/28/2022 at 8:44 AM, jrw said:

Wow, that guy is bitter, but he's honest about it, anyway.

Remember all that angst a few months ago about the "competition" between Nix and Thompson and Butterfield? We were silly, weren't we?

I'd say the truth is that Nix has always been good, just not on good teams and always burdened by his assigned role as the savior of Auburn football.

Goodman is angry... and understandably so. But it's great to see how much respect, understanding, and appreciation he has for Bo

He is angry, but he's directing his anger in the proper direction: At the Auburn program and those in charge.

• Thumbs Up 3

Good article...

but you can tell he is not from the west coast because he refers to Oregon as "OU" and no "UO"... OU is Oklahoma! 

Thanks for the link it was an enjoyable read. 

I think if Cristobal was having a fantastic season at Miami with strong quarterback play we'd be a bit salty and annoyed as well. However, Cristobal is having an awful season which brings us joy as we are having an amazing season so far. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

What a great article. I've never read Goodman's stuff before but based on this piece, he is an excellent writer. Loved this comment: "Think about it this way, all you Bo Nix truthers out there living in the world and walking into glass doors. If Nix is playing with Pac-12 players, then shouldn’t that make him worse?"

In other words, if the Pac-12 stinks so badly, logically, Pac-12 receivers would have to be subpar too. So why, post-game one, is Bo completing passes at a rate of 75%, has a 17-1 TD to INT ratio, and has the 6th-best QBR rating in college football? Goodman poses a great question.

I'll be honest, in June when Darren Perkins wrote the FishDuck article titled, "Is Bo Winning the Heisman a Total Pipe Dream," I thought Darren might have been hitting a different kind of a "Pipe."

But here we are nearly five months later, and there is all kinds of talk -- way beyond just us Duck fans -- about Bo as a realistic Heisman candidate. I now find myself bowing down a bit to the "Prophet Darrin."

Nix and Herbert are reminding me of each other in that they prove that the wrong coaches and program can pretty much destroy a great player, but that great coaches will elevate and free them to rise to almost unbelievable levels. Cristobal nearly destroyed Justin, until Cristobal virtually had no other hope of winning than to finally take the reins and chains off the kid in the Pac-12 Championship, and the Rose Bowl. Lanning & Dillingham, along with Prophet Darrin, saw the real Bo Nix, lightyears before I did. 

I hope the kids show up tomorrow in gorgeous Strawberry Canyon relaxed, and ready to have fun. It looks like it's going to be about 69 degrees and sunny. Perfect football weather, and perfect QB weather. GO DUCKS.

This is one of the best threads ever in OBDF. Many thanks to the NJDuck for posting these two great articles. And thanks to everyone who left their very good comments!

Let's have a great rest of the season... and post season!

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Great article,  I've been wondering how Auburn fan has been feeling.  There's another article about Bo from Dodd where coach Dillingham talks about their thinking down there. Talk about unrealistic expectations. What a dumpster fire. I'm glad they got out of there. It's nice to see him finally get some love.

Count me among those who were a little skeptical when he came here. I figured he'd be better than our quarterback last year but happily he has exceeded my expectations. If he gets into the right system at the next level he could do some damage. 

“Auburn cuts off its nose and then refuses to smell what Harsin is shoveling.”

one of the most funny mixed metaphors I’ve ever read. 

Could you imagine how we’d all be feeling this year if Auburn w Robby Ashford at QB were lighting it up while TT and Mari0 were flailing for the Ducks?

Granted, Auburn was waaaaaay more invested in Nix than Ducks were in Ashford, but Ashford was on the Ducks’ scout team, so it evens out. 

All that being said, the current reality is sweet Karma for Dyer being down.