jrw

Looking Like Dante Moore Is Going to UCLA

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

According to 247Sports’ @SWiltfong247, all of the tea leaves show that 5-star QB Dante Moore is going to end up at UCLA, not Oregon.

But then, there's this.

Edited by jrw

It ain't over-til-it's-over.

There is also the transfer QB situation to monitor, where UCLA is hosting both Kent State QB Collin Schlee and Clemson QB DJ Uiagalelei on visits this weekend. Should either of them go to UCLA, it might make Moore reconsider his potential flip decision.

Mr. FishDuck

I’m still trying to wrap my head around this. But I guess he wants to start and play close to home for at least a few games each year. Perhaps he is not mobile enough to play well for Oregon. However, he’s never going to play in a national championship for a very middling UCLA team stuck in the middle of a tough conference. Good luck young man. Moving on. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sounds more and more like Bo is staying put for another year.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Dante Moore stuff feels like:

arnold-schwarzenegger-bite.gif

• Haha 2

UCLA stabbed the Pac 12 in the back. They are now one of the most hated teams in my list of hated teams.

I have no love for Chip Kelly or anyone associated with USC or UCLA. Rooting for their failure at every level. 

Moore has to do what he feels is best for him. I don't disagree. If UCLA is that place I do not wish him luck. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Where is Willie Lyles when you need him?  Oh, that's right, he works with Chip.

In the old days this news would be devastating.  With the portal it is just a hiccup.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 12/17/2022 at 9:51 AM, Log Haulin said:

UCLA stabbed the Pac 12 in the back. They are now one of the most hated teams in my list of hated teams.

I have no love for Chip Kelly or anyone associated with USC or UCLA. Rooting for their failure at every level. 

Moore has to do what he feels is best for him. I don't disagree. If UCLA is that place I do not wish him luck. 

Dont worry UCLA will lose annually to Iowa. 

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

There are a lot of schools that Moore could go to and likely make an immediate impact. Something may have been passed "under the table" in LA. I feel for the Coaches who still believe that "commit" means commit. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well if he does goes to UCLA the Ducks can take the NIL savings and invest it on one of the elite defensive players still up for grabs! What a world recruiting has turned into ... amazing.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/17/2022 at 9:47 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Sounds more and more like Bo is staying put for another year.

Hope so, and Moore can go play somewhere else if that's what he wants. 

On 12/17/2022 at 10:02 AM, Duck 68 said:

I feel for the Coaches who still believe that "commit" means commit. 

I don’t think that coach exists. Look at all the players Oregon is trying to flip. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Tosu just lost their 5* qb commit, welcome to the wild world of the new card game called high school recruiting with the addition of the wild cards, transfers. Just when you thought you knew what was in the hands of the players, the wild cards add a whole other dimension.

With the pot these kids are playing for getting higher, and in the open, unlike when the SEC was the only place where money was fluid, things are only going to get more interesting.

I wouldn't want to be on either side of this mess, but Lanning seems to relish it, thankfully.

A bird (Duck) in hand is better than 2 in the bush.  Would rather have a known Nix for one more year than a potential 2-3(?)  with an unproven 5 star.   Ty is exhibit 1.  And….we get back on the recruiting train for QB. Would Moore leaving hurt, yes.  Does it mean anything yet? No.

• Thumbs Up 2

Tough to get all worked up about the NIL bidding wars.

However, if a top QB recruit goes to a team that hasn’t had much success with a head coach that admits he doesn’t like to recruit, it is all about the “Benjamin’s”. 

• Salute 1
  • Like 1

Might be a blessing in disguise.  Who knows?

It might be good that this is coming out with Moore now. There is nothing worse than an unhappy QB down the road who disrupts team chemistry. 

No matter how good a QB is in high school, there is no guarantee that he can start and do well in college right away. The odds are very low. I think

it is a good idea for Moore to sit back and learn from a good college QB. No matter how good he thinks he is, he still has a lot to learn.

Now we know how UW feels.

We usually don't know until 1-4 years later how good a 5-star (or any star) recruit is going to turn to be in the college level.  Onward.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looking back who has Chip developed into a NFL quality QB?  I guess you can give him Dennis Dixon in his first year as OC.  I'm not sure Dorian Thompson-Robinson is anything more than a journeyman.

• Thumbs Up 1

If not early playing time, then NIL...Do we want to be in a bidding war? 

On 12/17/2022 at 11:33 AM, Annie said:

We usually don't know until 1-4 years later how good a 5-star (or any star) recruit is going to turn to be in the college level.  Onward.

The Top Ten dual threat quarterbacks in the 2018 class per 247.  I don't see a lot of household names.

Justin Fields 
Dorian Thompson-Robinson 
Justin Rogers 
Phil Jurkovec 
Emory Jones 
Colson Yankoff 
Adrian Martinez 
Spencer Sanders 
Dakereon Joyner 
Gerry Bohanon 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

No matter how it turns out. I had a thought about Ty. What if the model he takes after is Mac Jones from Alabama and stays to win the job as a senior?

• Thumbs Up 1

It sounds like the Kent State kid may be heading to UCLA.  Assuming Bo comes back next season as well, Moore will need to think about who he'd rather tutor under for 1 season.  I'd much rather learn from Nix IMO.

Edited by kirklandduck

Chip's offense doesn't prepare QB's to play in the NFL. Even MC's boring vanilla offense did a better job of doing that.

• Haha 1

I guess it is better to sit the bench in sunny California every other game than have a chance at a natty. Moore looks like he may have integrity issues. Not what Lanning or the Ducks needs at the moment.

On 12/17/2022 at 2:28 PM, Just Ducky said:

I guess it is better to sit the bench in sunny California every other game than have a chance at a natty. Moore looks like he may have integrity issues. Not what Lanning or the Ducks needs at the moment.

I think it is a bit early to question the motives and integrity of an eighteen year old kid.  As far as I can tell he hasn't said anything.  Most of the "smoke" is being generated by websites that profit from stirring the ashes.

We will have the answer soon enough.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 7

On 12/17/2022 at 1:40 PM, kirklandduck said:

It sounds like the Kent State kid may be heading to UCLA.  Assuming Bo comes back next season as well, Moore will need to think about who he'd rather tutor under for 1 season.  I'd much rather learn from Nix IMO.

This is why I wouldn't rule out Michigan and Harbaugh getting a steal here if Oregon drops off his radar.  I know their an outside shot but look at the team this kid would be joining.  I'd rather it be Michigan than UCLA if Oregon loses him.  Oregon hasn't lost him yet, though.  Not yet.

If Phil wants this kid, don't you think he stands a good chance in getting bringing him here?

On 12/17/2022 at 2:28 PM, Just Ducky said:

Moore looks like he may have integrity issues.

I disagree with that. He, and most of the other recruits, are simply looking to find the best avenue for themselves. Some may be scamming, sure, but not the vast majority. Likely that Moore had doubts when Dillingham left, which is valid. Would you say Dillingham has integrity issues? After all, he probably signed a contract and left, not just went back on a verbal commitment. I don't think it's fair to expect high school kids to have loyalty to a school they've never attended, when the example they're shown by the coaches is that's all for one, and all for one.

• Thumbs Up 4

Is Moore getting played by these other schools, just using him as leverage to get other QBs to sign ASAP?
Ohio St and UCLA now both secured commits from  Top rated QBs within hours of Moore being on their campus or rumored to be committing to them.  They are preying on his panic from Dilly leaving..

This is a two way street.  It’s not just the athlete.  If he does indeed go to a fourth choice, then I feel bad for what’s going on in his end.  Methinks this is all a sign.

Edited by AllOregon
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well, hopefully he still signs with Oregon. We didn't even sign a QB in last year's class. Not signing a QB two years in a row? If Phil Knight needs to pay more to get him- pull the trigger. 

I don't see any "blessings in disguise" here. If he didn't pan out, we could have benched him and signed a top recruit in the next class. You have to actually have quarterback recruits. We got lucky with Nix for one year. Next year he could get hurt on day one. Recruits aren't going to come here if they have to gamble on our gambles.

Dan Lanning Faces Critical Time at Quarterback

So now Dan Lanning finds himself squarely in the second biggest decision of his young Oregon career.

The first, in my opinion, was replacing Kenny Dillingham at offensive coordinator a few weeks ago. It’s no secret Lanning

is a defensive-minded coach, so having a bright offensive mind was critical to his success.

But now he’s at another crossroad. You want and need Bo Nix to come back.

You also want and need to hold on to your top-ranked quarterback commit, Dante Moore.

Lanning finds himself in an absolute dogfight with Chip Kelly and UCLA for Moore.

WWW.ON3.COM

Dan Lanning is in the midst of facing his second biggest challenge as Oregon's head coach, handling his quarterback situation.

On 12/17/2022 at 3:32 PM, Duckhart said:

If Phil wants this kid, don't you think he stands a good chance in getting bringing him here?

This is an interesting question because there's no way to know for certain how well-known a figure Phil Knight is to an 18 or 19 year-old boy across the country.  

We take it for granted that everyone must know who Phil is but I'm not so sure kids out East really care.  One thing for certain, though, is that his (Donte's) 'handlers' will have a pretty good idea and what Phils $$ looks like.  If Donte knows about Phil then that's probably where his information came from.  Another certainty is having Phil Knight & Nike associated with Oregon sure doesn't hurt!

I’m tired of the Moore drama. Just sign Hudson Card and hope that Nix comes back for one more year. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/17/2022 at 5:06 PM, OregonDucks said:

I’m tired of the Moore drama.

Dittos, that.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't see any drama from Moore, he simply took a visit.  Recruiting websites, on the other hand, have elevated this to a 1950's daytime soap opera, maybe "As The Recruiting World Turns" would be an appropriate title.

The more drama the more $$$$.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

UCLA’s new transfer QB has two years of eligibility, Nix has one, so it appears that Moore would now have a path to earlier playing time in Eugene. He would also get a chance to learn from one of the best college QBs for a year. 

I would also be happy with Hudson Card. With Nix coming back, everything else is gravy, at this point. 

On 12/18/2022 at 5:39 PM, OregonDucks said:

UCLA’s new transfer QB has two years of eligibility, Nix has one, so it appears that Moore would now have a path to earlier playing time in Eugene. He would also get a chance to learn from one of the best college QBs for a year. 

I would also be happy with Hudson Card. With Nix coming back, everything else is gravy, at this point. 

Interesting point.  Now, how about this:  Moore knows he might not be ready to play in the B1G in just one year. (How many would?)   He may think two years, one as a red-shirt, night be the right timeline.  If he's as good as everyone seems to be speculating, maybe he wins the job at UCLA in his 2nd year when he comes of age.  Maybe that's his plan.  Learn from Chip Kelly and play in the 2nd biggest conference (talent-wise) for a team in sunny and warm California.

On 12/18/2022 at 5:47 PM, Mic said:

Learn from Chip Kelly and play in the 2nd biggest conference (talent-wise) for a team in sunny and warm California.

If Moore’s goal is to compete for a national championship, Oregon is by far the better option. That’s regardless of what conference UCLA is a member of. How long has it been since the Bruins have won the PAC or played in a big bowl game?  With the expanded college football playoff, Oregon’s path to the playoffs just got a lot easier and he would play against the best.

If Moore doesn’t care about a national championship, then he should go elsewhere and I wish him the best. 

Edited by OregonDucks
Expanded
  • Thumbs Up 1

So...it isn't about the money?  Quote from the article below..."I’ve been told he’d follow Dillingham to Arizona State since he’s going to flip to a PAC 12 team in that part of the country, but the NIL there isn’t close to what UCLA or Oregon can offer."

MIKEFARRELLSPORTS.COM

Mike Farrell shares the latest intel he's getting on five-star quarterback Dante Moore's recruitment

Mr. FishDuck

Simple to me. Oregon is a great option as team is going to be national contender for many years coming, he could learn from Nix, NIL money is probably pretty good, awesome facilities, and Eugene is a great college town. UCLA great school, Westwood nice pocket in LA, Chip knows offense, and beautiful weather. See how this would be a tough call for a teenager coming from the midwest. Hope whatever he does works out for him in the long run.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/18/2022 at 8:23 PM, Charles Fischer said:

So...it isn't about the money? 

Money is always going to be a factor. I’ve interpreted what Moore was saying is that it wasn’t the only factor or perhaps even the most important factor. The consistent story I’m hearing is he wants to start as a true Freshman. Good luck.

It happens but only when a team doesn’t have a better choice and is always fraught with loses and disappointment. He’d likely be fighting for playoff spots in a couple of years at Oregon. At UCLA he’ll be fighting for relevancy and to stay above “500.” Good luck. 

So his relationship with Dillingham was the key, but then also NIL from ASU was not sufficient to keep him with Dillingham... Along comes Chip, and NIL and it's now Ucla. 

Mind you, the only words or scuttle from Dante at any time before or after KD leaving has been he is 100 percent to Oregon. BUT, he took a trip to Ucla and these writers that get traffic are all now saying he is going to Ucla. 

The same thing happened with MSU when KD left, but that was bogus... But this time it's real. 

I'll believe he has flipped when ink hits paper. Until then, I will continue to take the word of Moore and not some click bait writers. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/18/2022 at 11:03 PM, DuckDiggler said:

I'll believe he has flipped when ink hits paper.

I'm taking the same route mostly because it will be what it be regardless and I can't take the drama.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/18/2022 at 6:15 PM, OregonDucks said:

If Moore doesn’t care about a national championship, then he should go elsewhere and I wish him the best. 

This brings up an interesting question: How much DO these 5* collegiate players care about a National Championship as compared to making lots of $ with NIL and then making the really BIG bucks with an NFL contract?  

If Moore thinks he has a better chance of making the Day 1 NFL draft by playing QB at UCLA under Chip Kelly (in the B1G) than he would playing QB for Dan Lanning at Oregon (in the Pac-12) then maybe a Natl. Cham. is much less of a factor in his decision.  A National Championship is a big deal for the team and college.  Getting drafted in the 1st round is a much bigger deal for the player.