Charles Fischer

Bo Nix and Dante Moore: Did Lanning Do it Right?

It has become evident on other sites that Oregon was upfront and honest with Dante Moore in telling him that Bo Nix was returning.  Thus, Moore thinks he has a better chance beating out a Kent State transfer QB, while with Bo...no way.  Moore's choice does make sense to me.

1) I am glad Lanning was honest with Moore up-front.  Are you?

2) Lanning lost a 5-Star QB, but got a Heisman candidate QB instead. I certainly believe he made the right choice--do you?

Yes we missed out on "having it all," but who knows if we don't get a 5-Star transfer next year?

On Wednesday we sign a GREAT Recruiting Class like Jurrion Dickey

Jurrion Dickey, No. 2-ranked WR, to transfer from Valley Christian

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

There is the long term as well as the short term. Honesty will pay off in trust by parents and players in future recruiting battles. 

If Moore can’t handle being on the bench for one year, well buh-bye. Go play for UCLA and be a middle of the pack team in the Big-10. 

My guess is that Moore will be sitting on the UCLA bench, anyway. At least for a good part of his first year. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait, did I miss something? Has Moore actually announced his decision? 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/18/2022 at 6:57 PM, jrw said:

I’ve heard nothing but I don’t belong to any paid sites. 

Lanning and the coaches did the right thing by being honest and straightforward. Even if they lose out on a recruit, they will be better off in the long run. Eventually people learn whom they can trust.

• Thumbs Up 2

No, we are just speculating on the motives and integrity of a kid who lives 2000 miles away.  Sheesh, what do you want--facts?

To be fair that speculation is fueled by websites paid to fan the flames.

Charles I'd say Lanning played it right. If we can't have it all then give me Hudson Card right now!

He can get lots of backup reps next year as he will score points with the offense - unlike Ty.

Then in 2024 we have 12 team playoff and Card has a great shot to be a QB of a playoff team. Card is a 2020 kid, so with covid and a redshirt year he should have three more years? 

Card in 2024 and 2025?

If not Card I'd take DJ and his brother Matayo right now. 

Card or DJ both give a QB who can step in and play if Bo goes down

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2022 at 7:12 PM, DazeNconfused said:

If we can't have it all then give me Hudson Card right now!

He can get lots of backup reps next year as he will score points with the offense - unlike Ty.

Then in 2024 we have 12 team playoff and Card has a great shot to be a QB of a playoff team. Card is a 2020 kid, so with covid and a redshirt year he should have three more years? 

Card in 2024 and 2025?

I like this plan a lot better for OREGON!  Much better than relying an an 18-year old who has never played a down in college. 

If a high school QB wants to come to Oregon to get better, compete and be the future then welcome aboard. If not, go for the more proven commodity at the most important position in football. 

Edited by OregonDucks
Typo
  • Thumbs Up 2

You are right, as there has been no official announcement, but for those of us who have been watching this for 25 years--we don't need breadcrumbs to assume the higher probability ending.  It looks most likely like Dante wants Moore opportunity immediately at UCLA.

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/18/2022 at 7:01 PM, McDuck said:

To be fair that speculation is fueled by websites paid to fan the flames.

Perhaps you do not know how it works; free sites like mine that have ads get paid very little.  The pay sites thus do NOT get paid by clicks, because while they also have ads--I know what the ad rates are, and they suck.  Thus the ads there help to pay a touch of the expenses, but the vast majority of their revenue (95%) comes from paid subscriptions.

I give On3 credit for having inside contacts who supply amazing information--and that is what people there pay for.  Keep in mind that I am not promoting them, since most over there hate me for first declaring Mario's offense would not take us to the promised land in September of 2018, (the beginning) and now they hate me because I was right.

They have 20 times the number of members we do, and yet we have more posts every day....why?  Because people feel safer to post here (because of my rules and immediate enforcement) than they do over there.  Just reading over there in the last couple of days made me shudder at the terrible things people write to each other.

So I've been maligned over there beyond what anyone can imagine, and thus most of my rules were designed to avoid that here.  But I digress--I give them credit where due, and grief where it is deserved.

They are not throwing stuff out to create clicks; at Ducks Wire, yes, but not the subscription sites.

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/18/2022 at 7:12 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Charles I'd say Lanning played it right. If we can't have it all then give me Hudson Card right now!

Card in 2024 and 2025?

Whoa!  I LOVE that scenario!  Card for two years?  Cool!

Mr. FishDuck

I am always in favor of honesty!  Go Ducks. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I worry we might lose out on players like Dickey, who is pictured above. The incoming class won't have a QB, and we didn't sign a QB last year either. So, what if Oregon can't get a good QB transfer next year? What if the market is slim pickings? What if Nix gets hurt?

If you can't handle the truth then go to another program, we deal in truth.

Edited by Haywarduck
  • Thumbs Up 1

If we can only have one of the two, DL definitely made the wise choice.   Recruiting is no longer the only way to get good players this day and age.  In fact, it is better to transfer a proven QB than recruiting a 5-star.   I know because I happen to be fan of a team that has this experience at QB recently.   Wink Wink...

Edited by DuckFan93
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

According to The Ducks Nix will be a Duck next year.

WWW.ESPN.COM

Senior quarterback Bo Nix will return to the Ducks for his final year of eligibility, a boost to an Oregon team that went 9-3 this season.

I think DL is fine playing the waiting game and acting as a pseudo general manager. Let kids sign wherever they feel comfortable. At some point there will be a ton of QB transfers. That’s when he goes out and finds one who fits his offensive system. High school QB’s are kind of a wild card anyway. Look at the top 5 high schools QB’s in the 2019 recruiting class. All five of the have transferred to include Bo.

I find it interesting that Chrystal balls haven't changed on Moore on 247. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Completely agree with number 1. As for number 2, it isn’t a foregone conclusion, however likely, but… I’ll take a known Heisman contender over a 5* question mark, all day. 

I was bummed to see the Moore to UCLA news, and felt it had more to do with the incoming coordinator. But, if his decision was based off of the staff letting him know that Nix was coming back, he can go play at UCLA, or anywhere else for that matter. 

It’s obviously important to be able to develop talent, as a progrum, but that has to come with kids who are ok with the possibility of sitting out, while developing. If a true freshman refuses to go to a team where he isn’t a shoe-in as a starter - don’t let the doore hit you on the way out.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just want to add one moore thing… how awesome will it be to sit behind, and learn from, a LEGIT Heisman contender in 2023? I’m excited for whoever that ends up being, current Duck, or not.

❤️🦆🏈🙌

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

They absolutely did the right thing being upfront about Nix.  The last thing you'd want is for him to come in disgruntled and looking for the exit.

Nix is a known commodity, I'd much rather have him for another year even it means losing DM.  It amazes me how many forget that TT came in with just about as much fanfare sans an NIL deal.  Not saying anything bad about either TT or DM, but sometimes 5*s pan out and sometimes they don't.

• Thumbs Up 2

As I have said before on this site that maybe Bo was having the time of his football life in Eugene and as it turns out he was.

Can’t get a gauge on Moore but it seems unlikely he will be a Duck. Our hope should be that TT will make the next step and be a quality back up. If not I’m sure our staff will make the necessary moves to get that guy.

If we get our defense shored up and playing solid D next year it should be very exciting season. The news of Bo returning is exactly the news we needed to hear.

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

Of course the right choice was made.  
A) Get a Heisman candidate- caliber experienced QB for another year. 

B) Moore committed in July - well before Nix’s chances of going pro were known or that Nix was even gonna win the job.  He knew the possibility then of maybe not starting year 1.

C] This feels it is all about Dilly.  There might not be a choice to be made.

D) Moore has great high school talent.  Zero proven time yet in college.  Would rather have 1 year of Nix (see A).

Edited by AllOregon
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

ESPN CONFIRMED: Moore to UCLA.

Do I think CDL made the right choice? No, I don't but that may very well be b/c I'm stuck in the past and still believe high school recruiting offers the most long-term, stable option.  Case in point for me is this: I'm more excited about Jurrion Dickey than Traeshon Holden. Not b/c I think Dickey is better this year, but b/c I think if he sits a year and learns the offense and speed of the game, that he'll offer a longer term ROI (3 years) than a transfer with 2 years eligibility left...especially b/c there's no guarantee that Holden stays 2 years and isn't a "one and done" instead.

I won't bemoan how NIL and the transfer portal have changed the game, we've all been down that road. I'll just state that school loyalty seems all but done (except for we fans of course) and the era of "respect my decision" is upon us.

• Thumbs Up 1

So... welcome to the NIL and transfer portal era.  The truth is your roster is only yours for as long as you can keep it.  What's the best strategy for DL and the Ducks?  

1) Be professional, which includes telling the truth and letting the athletes make the best decisions for themselves.  

2) Be patient, it would be amazing to lock up a top five class during the early signing period but the truth is "lock up" doesn't mean "locked up" anyway just ask A&M.

3) Be diligent, 17-18 year old athletes make decisions based on how they see things and that is subject to a bit more fluctuation than the over 40 crowd.

We will put together the best roster each year that we can given the tools that we have and we should count our lucky stars since Oregon has way more tools than most schools.  We should remind ourselves that OSU beat us with well coached 3-star athletes so while recruiting is important, it isn't the whole game.

Lastly, it's now important to think about recruiting as a VERY long game... if Dante Moore doesn't like what he sees at UCLA and then he later looks to the transfer portal Oregon will be top of his mind especially since Bo only has one more year of eligibility. 

Edit: 

WWW.ESPN.COM

Quarterback prospect Dante Moore, the No. 3 player in the Class of 2023, told ESPN he has flipped from Oregon to UCLA.

He indicated NIL was not a factor and that losing KD was the primary factor as he had a 3-yr relationship with KD.  He grew up watching Mariota and so Kelly's offense get's his strong interest as there's a proven track record for QB play in his systems.  He also noted that UCLA moving to the Big10 was a factor as it offered him more TV exposure.  As I said above, we shall see what happens next year.  He's going to have a very tough time winning the starting role in Spring camp against a skilled veteran.    

Edited by Duck Fan 76
  • Great post! 2

On 12/19/2022 at 9:59 AM, Wrathis said:

ESPN CONFIRMED: Moore to UCLA.

Do I think CDL made the right choice? No, I don't but that may very well be b/c I'm stuck in the past and still believe high school recruiting offers the most long-term, stable option.  Case in point for me is this: I'm more excited about Jurrion Dickey than Traeshon Holden. Not b/c I think Dickey is better this year, but b/c I think if he sits a year and learns the offense and speed of the game, that he'll offer a longer term ROI (3 years) than a transfer with 2 years eligibility left...especially b/c there's no guarantee that Holden stays 2 years and isn't a "one and done" instead.

I won't bemoan how NIL and the transfer portal have changed the game, we've all been down that road. I'll just state that school loyalty seems all but done (except for we fans of course) and the era of "respect my decision" is upon us.

There was no 3 rear ROI on Thornton. Dickey could hit the portal next year or in two years to go catch balls from Moore or Arch Manning

The Beavers are a QB away from being a legit PAC Champion threat. Just get players that want to play and coach them up.

Sure roll the dice on some five stars and maybe land a few. But this flip flop drama will only increase in the nil era.

On 12/19/2022 at 12:56 PM, DazeNconfused said:

There was no 3 rear ROI on Thornton. Dickey could hit the portal next year or in two years to go catch balls from Moore or Arch Manning

That's also true. So what's the answer? Forego high school recruiting altogether, focus on the transfer portal and expect only 1 year per player?

On 12/19/2022 at 12:35 PM, Wrathis said:

That's also true. So what's the answer? Forego high school recruiting altogether, focus on the transfer portal and expect only 1 year per player?

I've talked to this Charles about this. I think you need to recruit and spend NIL on one Top 100ish kid at WR, RB, LB, Safety Corner, Edge that both you and the player think they can be a starter year two. The rest of the class you want the best kids you can get at those positions, but if they aren't starting they tend to hit the Portal at a high rate now it seems. Kids want to play year two now or they have the portal option. 

It seems now every year we will have to find a good WR, RB, Safety, Corner, Edge and LB in the portal who can some right in and start - and we should save some NIL money for them.

Think Pittman, Thornton, Jaylin Davies who went to UCLA, Seven was outie last year before Lanning brought him back, Daymond David same deal. Matavo just bailed after year two. 

The OL and DL guys seem to get they have to grow and develop to start in the trenches unless they are Elite kids, so they don't seem to bounce as quick.

RBs will thrive here if our scheme and OL is solid - so they are more of a dime a dozen.

QBs seem to be something that you want to sign a Top 100 guy - but he might bounce early. QBs are hitting the portal at such a high rate that you can get a QB every year if your the Ducks. 

Franklin, Thornton, Seven, Brevard and Matavo, Fergie were four-stars and all the same class...  only Franklin, Brevard and Fergie are left now! I'm surprised Brevard hasn't bailed yet.

Edited by DazeNconfused