Babyjesus615

Big Ten To Add Four Pac-12 Schools?

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

The Big Ten has been reluctant to move to 20 teams, even if many in college athletics believe expansive superconferences are inevitable.

Could all these Brutus/Puddles hints be leading to an Oppenheimer sized bombshell?

• Thumbs Up 1

Damn.  This may be legit...

"A group of four Big Ten university presidents began the preliminary process on Wednesday"

FP Gameday John Giustina.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

A measured, reasonable take on potential realignment. Who Knew? The author is one of the few speculators at large who should not have the Name Yahoo attached to their work.

It will be rather ironic if AZ, ASU, and Utah join the B12 for a max of $11M a year more than the proposed Pac deal would provide, and that such moves would make the addition of Stanford, Cal, Oregon, and UW palatable to B1G presidents.   Give these 4 the opportunity to join a far more successful and long-term viable conference. A conference that Oregon is more than capable of competing in.

Once 1 of the Power 2 goes to 20 teams, the SEC will follow. This happens and IMO, the playoff come 2026 will go to 16 teams and without the automatic inclusion of conference champions in the field.

But you know what? Going to a Power 2, with the SEC presumably picking off ACC teams, will not prevent linear broadcasting from going the way of streaming. As a matter of fact, to make the addition of the 4 identified schools financially viable a streaming company other than Peacock will likely have to be involved unless NBC/Peacock is willing to come with more money for streaming more B1G inventory.

• Let’s hope! 1

Charles, great comment but equating Puddles business acumen to that of college presidents could warrant a liable action on behalf of Puddles? 

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just do it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Remember, last year when usc and ucla announced the 2024 move, a number of BIG Presidents were asked why they didnt take more PAC 12 schools?

The reply was they didnt want to be directly resonsible for destroying the PAC 12 Conference.

I dont think any of us imagined rhat FOX and ESPN would shut the PAC out of linear TV. There was no reason for GK to know that.

Both FOX and ESPN are getting the PAC on their terms. They are business partners with the BIG 12! The Big 12 Commish is agressive because he has the linear money behind him.

It is what it is!

Remember ESPN offered $90 million for PAC After Dark games. Where Is that offer now?

This is orchestrated by vultures who are circling for the kill.

Good chance our Ducks will be making long distant road trips in the future......

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

This is being hit all over the media.  Along with What Canzano was saying as well.  It looks to be legit.

Oregon, Washington, Stanford and Cal reportedly under consideration for membership in the Big Ten

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Yahoo reported: “The (Big Ten) discussions are in the very early stages, sources caution."

Big Ten Presidents Have Opened Discussions on Adding More Pac-12 Schools, per Report

https://www.si.com/college/2023/08/02/big-ten-presidents-have-opened-discussions-on-adding-more-pac-12-schools-oregon-washington-cal-stanford

Report: Big Ten begin talks on possible expansion with Oregon as a focus

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

According to a new report, the Big Ten is potentially looking at expansion, with the Oregon Ducks a leading candidate

• Thumbs Up 1

Ducks will be B1G by end of month. Prob end of week 

• Let’s hope! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Would these reports cause Apple to up their offer to keep the conference together and their potential toehold in college sports, or will they just buy ESPN?

• Great post! 1

'We don't want to be responsible for taking down the Pac.' Really, after poaching the LA schools and a few refs?

How about, our media partners now have a number to negotiate against?

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 2

Beavers and Cougs are in big trouble here. 

Again... I like beating them on the field but I don't want to see the programs get demolished by major media companies sending them to the Mountain West. 

Because the PAC actually fully dies if Oregon, Washington, Cal and Stanford are gone... Especially if Utah and the Arizona schools leave too. 

• Salute 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

I can't help but laugh at the idea that this thread was brought to us by babyjesus 🤣

In other news, I feel like this Yahoo article sums it up nicely...

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

After whining and crying for help when athletes sought to capitalize on the free market via transferring and NIL deals, college athletics' brass is now doing the same thing — except with whole schools...

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Finally! Some good news! Oregon's recruiting position may find itself on shaky ground if this doesn't get settled sooner rather than later. Going to the B1G would be a home run. 

Edited by 2002duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/2/2023 at 1:33 PM, David Marsh said:

Beavers and Cougs are in big trouble here. 

Again... I like beating them on the field but I don't want to see the programs get demolished by major media companies sending them to the Mountain West. 

Because the PAC actually fully dies if Oregon, Washington, Cal and Stanford are gone... Especially if Utah and the Arizona schools leave too. 

Cougs and Beavs put themselves in this position. They only have themselves to blame. 

Ducks raised their status over 30 years of hard work. Beavs should have done the same. They didn't. 

• Yikes! 1

With AZ,ASU & Utah most likely announcing a move to little 12, the big12 has to make a move quicker than they wished to move again into Pac country. Fox will push them too.

big 10.......

On 8/2/2023 at 2:15 PM, Log Haulin said:

Cougs and Beavs put themselves in this position. They only have themselves to blame. 

Ducks raised their status over 30 years of hard work. Beavs should have done the same. They didn't. 

I disagree... Oregon would be in the same position if not for Phil Knight.

OSU and WSU I would say are typical college brands. We tend to look at the blue bloods and other major brands as the norm but they are more of the exception. 

Is there anything special or remarkable about Maryland or Rutgers or Iowa's athletic programs over Oregon State and WSU'S? Not really besides geographic location and precieved media market. 

What about Vanderbilt from the SEC? Over the last decade WSU has been better on the football field and this coming season Oregon State should be better. 

There are a ton of these regional division one programs that are significant to the landscape of college football but aren't major powers.

But they are what makes the sport interesting because not every team is going to be great every year but the way college sports has traditionally cycled, and actually still kinda does but is diminshing, there could always be that one great year for these programs. 

Oregon used to be firmly in that boat even a decade ago. Our expectations have shifted as a program. But remember the 2009 war of the roses game? That was special because it was between non-blue bloods and it was for a shot at something supremely meaningful. 

It's also kind of funny how that game acts as a distinct fork in the road for the two programs. 

OSU and WSU would definitely be considered for the big-12 id they were closer geographically. But they aren't that close so they are left at the whims of everyone else. 

Maybe they really aren't power five quality anymore... But I'd say most of the big-12 isn't. I'd also say a good chunk of the B1G and even the SEC isn't power five quality at this point. Outside of their media markets and precieved value.

If Oregon didn't have their national brand which was built in large part from the aid of Phil Knight and really a forward thinking hire from Mike Bellotti in bring in a non-OC from Connecticut by the name of Chip Kelly, we'd not be considered for anything. 

I am absolutely thankful for Oregon's brand and I know we'll be just fine. 

But you should never beat your rivals because they're left out of a media deal by a bunch of TV executives who are looking to carve up the college sports world for themselves.

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

It baffles ne that ESPN is willing to let the West Coast TV market slip away.

If Stanford, CAL, uw and Oregon move to BIG then FOX controls the 4:00 to 7:00 pm pst broadcasts.

If ESPN had come to the table with 9 million or more for PAC After Dark on top of the Apple offer, then the PAC would survive the next 4 or 5 years.

Something is not right with all this!

How can sports broadcasters not want the media rights for 3 or 4 Top 25 Brands.

Does this baffle anyone else?

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/2/2023 at 3:18 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

If Stanford, CAL, uw and Oregon move to BIG then FOX controls the 4:00 to 7:00 pm pst broadcasts.

If ESPN had come to the table with 9 million or more for PAC After Dark on top of the Apple offer, then the PAC would survive the next 4 or 5 years.

I feel it shows just how dire ESPN's finances are currently. There is a reason they are firing so many people and looking for partners to buy in. They NEED money and they need it now! 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/2/2023 at 3:18 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Maybe Apple will purchase part of ESPN and the Pac teams may have a tv pkg?

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Keep those seat belts buckled up and hang in there.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

How does a new conference financed with a $1 billion investment sound to you, college football fan?

On 8/2/2023 at 2:38 PM, David Marsh said:

I disagree... Oregon would be in the same position if not for Phil Knight.

OSU and WSU I would say are typical college brands. We tend to look at the blue bloods and other major brands as the norm but they are more of the exception. 

Is there anything special or remarkable about Maryland or Rutgers or Iowa's athletic programs over Oregon State and WSU'S? Not really besides geographic location and precieved media market. 

What about Vanderbilt from the SEC? Over the last decade WSU has been better on the football field and this coming season Oregon State should be better. 

There are a ton of these regional division one programs that are significant to the landscape of college football but aren't major powers.

But they are what makes the sport interesting because not every team is going to be great every year but the way college sports has traditionally cycled, and actually still kinda does but is diminshing, there could always be that one great year for these programs. 

Oregon used to be firmly in that boat even a decade ago. Our expectations have shifted as a program. But remember the 2009 war of the roses game? That was special because it was between non-blue bloods and it was for a shot at something supremely meaningful. 

It's also kind of funny how that game acts as a distinct fork in the road for the two programs. 

OSU and WSU would definitely be considered for the big-12 id they were closer geographically. But they aren't that close so they are left at the whims of everyone else. 

Maybe they really aren't power five quality anymore... But I'd say most of the big-12 isn't. I'd also say a good chunk of the B1G and even the SEC isn't power five quality at this point. Outside of their media markets and precieved value.

If Oregon didn't have their national brand which was built in large part from the aid of Phil Knight and really a forward thinking hire from Mike Bellotti in bring in a non-OC from Connecticut by the name of Chip Kelly, we'd not be considered for anything. 

I am absolutely thankful for Oregon's brand and I know we'll be just fine. 

But you should never beat your rivals because they're left out of a media deal by a bunch of TV executives who are looking to carve up the college sports world for themselves.

My statement really has nothing to do with beating a rival off the field. I wish the best for the beavs but I don't feel sorry for them.

I was at the war of the roses game with my son. It was a blast. But it doesn't change the fact that the beavs put themselves in this situation.

Corvallis isn't much different than Eugene geographically. Eugene is a little bigger. Both are small college towns tucked away in the middle of nowhere. 

Oregon had a vision and built their brand that is desirable in the market conditions of todays college football landscape. 

Got some luck along the way in ways you mentioned. But it wasn't all PK and CK. It took all of us and a few decades.

Everyone from Phil Knight to the guy that drives the truck, from the guy that sells the ticket to the guy that buys the ticket. It took all of us.

Rutgers or Vandy aren't in the position Beavs and cougs are in. Don't really see how that comparison is valid.

Beavers and Ducks are in the position each is in for various reasons. Some of those reasons are because of choices and decisions each school made. 

Who knows, Beavs move to G5 and they might make the playoff long before Ducks return to playoff. 

I am a fan of the Ducks. Full stop. What happens to the rest of the pac doesn't concern me. Pac cut its own throat. There are some casualties from that.

I am super grateful for the decisions and actions the Ducks have taken along the way. It took all of us. 

Moving on to the B1G is a huge win for Oregon. But Oregon put themselves in position. They should be celebrated for that.

• Applause 1

On 8/2/2023 at 12:52 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

I dont think any of us imagined rhat FOX and ESPN would shut the PAC out of linear TV. There was no reason for GK to know that.

Both FOX and ESPN are getting the PAC on their terms. They are business partners with the BIG 12! The Big 12 Commish is agressive because he has the linear money behind him.

The goal is to get PAC-12 teams at less than market value because the linear monopolists are able to control the market. All the folks wanting Oregon to leave the PAC better realize that Oregon is not going to get anywhere close to market value. They may get less than they would from Apple. 

Given the collusion between linear TV and the conferences any idea that leaving the PAC will be good for Oregon is naive. 

The whole purpose of this collusion is to get Oregon and other PAC team’s games for pennies on the dollar. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

Im not convinced that The Ducks are worried about money as far as the next few years are concerned. They want and need viewership and not just from casual football viewers but from future recruits. They want to be a part of the big picture, no pun intended. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Saw this out there on the WildWestSports Football board, for what it is worth (from Ohio State guy):

image.png.f317d10f00394ef637ab93e87cd16317.png

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Salute 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I came to post that I absolutely REFUSE to click on one more store on this subject. Not only stories posted here, but especially on the newsfeed on my computer. That's where the real click-bait is. And what do I do? I clicked on the story Jon Joseph posted above. From CBS Sports no less!  Those bastards have been trying to kill us for a whole year.  This is the train wreck that I cannot bring myself to look away from.

Yet, I am beyond sick of it. I long for the day when "east coast bias" was our biggest conference gripe. I won't go through the litany of mistakes and ineptitude displayed by the conference powers that be. We've all seen that for ourselves for years.  But for someone who loves college football because of the tradition to watch this endless circus? Just so maddening.

• Applause 3

On 8/2/2023 at 5:16 PM, AnotherOD said:

Saw this out there on the WildWestSports Football board, for what it is worth (from Ohio State guy):

If the information in the post above is true, then the Pac-12 would probably dissolve.  Where would Cal/Stanford go, and why would the B1G let the one chance they have get them on the cheap get away?

(I know none of us know the answer, but just pondering.  Or what is above could be all-crap)

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/2/2023 at 1:33 PM, David Marsh said:

If OSU WSU Cal and Furd are the last Pac teams standing, I would expect them to bring in SD St, UNLV, Boise St, Fresno ST, U St, CSU. Basically bring in the top of the Mountain West. Still could have a couple ranked teams and a playoff contender.How that plays out money wise, who knows.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/2/2023 at 5:33 PM, SmithRiverDuck said:

This is the train wreck that I cannot bring myself to look away from.

I am in the same boat on this one... yes we are sitting in a green and yellow boat watching a train crash.

It's exhausting and at this point I know Oregon is going to be fine... I will continue to watch the Ducks but I know college football is going to change dramatically and I don't feel this change is for the better. Sure we will get some interesting match-ups and some new rivalries will develop but to do so we have to get rid of the older rivalries and the distinct regionalism of the game.

I wrote this article last year when it felt like what we are seeing right now was more imminent but it took a year to develop but I still believe the outcome is going to be the same.

FISHDUCK.COM

The great college football schism is coming, and it will fracture college football in a way that will shake the very sport and...

• Thumbs Up 2

Bottom line is that we're watching media companies trash 108 years of tradition to make a buck...and it just so happens that a room full of people who were supposed to be looking out for the universities made every horrible choice possible along the way. Almost sounds like collusion to me...

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I did post this earlier in a different post, but it seems the two Arizona schools and Utah are moving towards the Big 12.  I guess will see if this comes to fruition, which I'm sure it will from the looks of it.

ARIZONASTATE.RIVALS.COM

Both Arizona in-state schools and Utah poised to be the next Pac-12 schools to join Colorado in their new league

• Oh no! 1

So very sad. Ducks will be fine but Oregon State and Washington State, if Oregon and UW can't or do not want to hold the Pac together in one form or another are headed for the Mountain West. 

Cal and Stanford are on the B1G cusp; or, on the cut line? 

It kind of ticks me off that ESPN and Fox have the money to add CU, Arizona, ASU, and Utah at a full share of $31.7M a year but not the money to invest in Pac-12 inventory. It's a bit of a strained analogy but in anti-trust law, this is bordering on predatory pricing. 

The next domino to fall will be the ACC. I think Clemson, FSU, UNC, and Georgia Tech are candidates for the SEC, and with Yormark's emphasis on basketball, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, and NC State would be, along with UConn, likely candidates to join the B12. 8 ACC teams give exit notices and the conference is done without huge exit fees being in the way. Regardless of cost, Clemson and FSU will find a way out of the ACC. This could leave Notre Dame stuck in a bad spot which would be heart-breaking, right?

I do hope the B1G $ in not the B1G amount will be there and sufficient for Oregon to move into a Power 2 conference instead of creating a conference out of patchwork G5 teams. The idea of an easier road into the field in a 12-team playoff is enticing but with the conference shuffle continuing I doubt that the playoff format for 2024/25, 6 top conference champs with the top 4 conference champs receiving a 1st round bye will survive. 

And barring anti-trust restraints, would a 20-member B1G with UW, Oregon, Cal, and Stanford and 20-member SEC with Clemson, FSU, UNC, and Georgia Tech need more than the 2 Power Conferences to conduct a playoff? In this day and age will the 2 conferences want to share playoff revenue with teams with no chance to advance? Of course, with its unearned gravitas, Notre Dame will be in the mix one way or the other. 

I can easily envision a scenario where the B1G adds OREGON, UW, UNC, and Notre Dame. UNC brings in viewership right there with Cal and Stanford and UNC is an AAU member school. Among Oregon, UW, Clemson, and FSU, Notre Dame is the brand award winner. I just do not see the B1G adding non-AAU member Clemson or FSU.

But this is just realignment ceiling walking by an old guy who finds it difficult enough these days to walk on Terra Firma. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Big Ten Presidents Met Early Thursday Morning To Discuss Expansion

According to ESPN's Pete Thamel, presidents from the Big Ten met early on Thursday morning to discuss next steps on expansion.

Big Ten commissioner Tony Petitti has been authorized to officially explore expansion, particularly as it pertains to Oregon and Washington joining as new members.

Thamel says that no official offers have been made to the two universities, and there is uncertainty surrounding a deal, but the Big Ten has the most compelling argument among the remaining major conferences.

USC has been opposed to the idea of adding more teams from the West Coast to the Big Ten - they are set to join next year, along with UCLA - but the Trojans do not have a vote on expansion yet. 

The Big Ten could vote to add their former Pac-12 rivals without even consulting them.

Another hurdle that needs to be cleared is the matter of what revenue split Oregon and Washington would have as Big Ten members.

To access the article, click here.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"USC has been opposed to the idea of adding more teams from the West Coast to the Big Ten - they are set to join next year, along with UCLA - but the Trojans do not have a vote on expansion yet."

"The Big Ten could vote to add their former Pac-12 rivals without even consulting them."

giphy.gif

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

I get why they might not like competing against UO in football and football recruiting, but for the rest of the sports, having more teams on the west coast makes financial sense.  I have said it before, having 6 teams on the west coast makes the money work way better for the B1G TEN.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I was looking on a B1G message board about this subject.  Not all are in favor of Oregon joining up. The below post from that site seems pretty silly to me.

"don't give a damn as long as none of them come to the B1G with the exception of Stanford. That's the only school from the dead Pac that potentially adds anything at all to the B1G and doesn't hurt the B1G. Adding Washington adds literally nothing and adding Oregon actually just hurts the B1G helmet brands like OSU, M, PSU, USC. A weakened Oregon in a subpar conference that eventually falls back to the wayside and in their rightful place as a back water is only a good thing for the B1G. Giving Oregon a lifeline and adding them to the B1G would be a disaster."

The whole thread in general seems to show a lot of western geographical ignorance.  The website is cfb51.com/big-ten just in case you have nothing else to do.

• Thumbs Up 1

From Jon Wilner:

Pac-12 survival: Are Oregon, UW, Stanford and Cal worth the investment for the Big Ten?

Let’s say the Northwest powers agreed to a laddered revenue structure like this over the Big Ten’s contract:

Years 1-2: quarter share

Years 3-4: half share

Years 5-6: three-quarters share

Year 7: full share

That’s two years at $16.5 million, two more at $32.5 million, two more at $48.75 million and one year at $65 million, for a total of $260.5 million.

Multiply that times two schools, and a media company would need to shell out $521 million to make the math work for the Huskies and Ducks to enter the Big Ten at reduced revenue shares for the entirety of the seven-year contract cycle.

(Please note: Our numbers are estimates. The Big Ten’s contract includes an escalator clause, meaning the payments start well below the estimated average of $65 million average amount and end well above.)

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

The Pac-12′s existence seemingly hangs in the balance.

On 8/3/2023 at 6:47 AM, Wrathis said:

Bottom line is that we're watching media companies trash 108 years of tradition to make a buck...and it just so happens that a room full of people who were supposed to be looking out for the universities made every horrible choice possible along the way. Almost sounds like collusion to me...

I'm trying not to put on my tin foil hat here ... I mean I'd have to make one first ... But it does feel very much like a mixture of a conspiracy, collusion and just some chance bad timing. 

I might write that post or article soon ... But right now I think I'll just wait a bit longe. 

But I'm with you... There is something not right with all of this. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/3/2023 at 3:07 PM, savagefund said:

don't give a damn as long as none of them come to the B1G with the exception of Stanford. That's the only school from the dead Pac that potentially adds anything at all to the B1G and doesn't hurt the B1G. Adding Washington adds literally nothing and adding Oregon actually just hurts the B1G helmet brands like OSU, M, PSU, USC. A weakened Oregon in a subpar conference that eventually falls back to the wayside and in their rightful place as a back water is only a good thing for the B1G. Giving Oregon a lifeline and adding them to the B1G would be a disaster."

The whole thread in general seems to show a lot of western geographical ignorance.  The website is cfb51.com/big-ten just in case you have nothing else to do.

Seems dubious to me.  Sounds more like it's coming from a USC fan signed onto this board, causing trouble.  This drips with disdain towards Oregon too much to be a BIG fan.

On 8/3/2023 at 12:07 PM, savagefund said:

The below post from that site seems pretty silly to me.

Savagefund...where do Utah fans sit with all of this?

Mr. FishDuck

I was looking on a B1G message board about this subject.  Not all are in favor of Oregon joining up. The below post from that site seems pretty silly to me.

"don't give a damn as long as none of them come to the B1G with the exception of Stanford. That's the only school from the dead Pac that potentially adds anything at all to the B1G and doesn't hurt the B1G. Adding Washington adds literally nothing and adding Oregon actually just hurts the B1G helmet brands like OSU, M, PSU, USC. A weakened Oregon in a subpar conference that eventually falls back to the wayside and in their rightful place as a back water is only a good thing for the B1G. Giving Oregon a lifeline and adding them to the B1G would be a disaster."

I do think the Oregon brand is threatening to a whole lot of blue bloods. Oregon is really the only brand in the last twenty years to really shake up the status quo. 

I mean think of it this way ... Oregon since 2010 has appeared in 2 national championship games won 3 Rose Bowls, and a Fiesta Bowl. Go back to the earlier 2000s and add another fiesta bowl winning there. 

Then add in wins over Ohio State and some wins over Texas and making USC seem irrelevant for the last ten plus years.... And yeah the Oregon brand is scary. 

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yep, they want only easy wins each year to join their conference.  They know Oregon is going to make it harder for them...

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/3/2023 at 1:19 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Savagefund...where do Utah fans sit with all of this?

I can't really speak for the group.  My first desire is for the PAC to survive.  Not having a strong conference based in the west doesn't sit well with me.  If there is an implosion and this four team invitation happens I would love it if Utah could replace Cal in the invite.  But...fat chance.  I think it would be great for you guys to go if there is no hope for the PAC but I would miss games against Oregon.  I think there has been momentum for a bit of a rivalry between the two of us.

I like Big 12 as an option better than a half PAC half MW.  I would love to see the Utah - BYU rivalry be reignited.  I don't enjoy the back and forth insults but I do enjoy the intensity of that game and build up around it.   Sports radio talk around here mostly is focused on the Big 12 but some are pushing a B1G possibility.

• Whew! 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

If the goal is to stay competitive with the SEC, then the BIG adding UO is a no brainer. If the goal is adding value to the media deal, you bring in the Ducks as well. 

If the goal is to turn the BIG into a safe space for SUC and the other bottom feeders, then by all means stay away from OBD.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/3/2023 at 6:47 AM, Wrathis said:

When commercial cable/satellite sports channels replaced free broadcast channels as the means by which we watch CFB, sports tv viewers were moved from a national to a regional format whose focus was primarily on the highest number of tv sets tuning-in at prime viewing times. 

In light of that, it’s hard to blame sports media for viewing the western time zone as a big deficit. From the midwest eastward, you get viewers of both colleges plus those interested in any given game. In the west you get both colleges and everyone else in bed. 

ESPN and Fox, seeing the writing on the wall, did what any companies would do in our country: they sought to monopolize the markets that gave them the best return on their investment. Athletic Dept. of these midwest and southeastern universities simply saw what was offered as a chance to strengthen their bottom line.

It can be viewed as conspiracy-collusion, but to be fair, I’m not sure any college at the time those deals were done would have been aware of the effect those deals would eventually have on western colleges, as a result of sports media financial priorities.

If we need to point the finger, maybe we should all just look in the mirror. Sports media couldn’t do what they do without our support.

Notre Dame won't change view on independence if Big Ten expands further, per report

Notre Dame will not be influenced to give up its independence if the Big Ten makes any additional moves, according to new reporting from ESPN’s Pete Thamel.

The Big Ten is exploring the possibility of adding Oregon and Washington to its ranks as the Pac-12 continues to show signs of splintering.

Thamel has reported that the Big Ten doesn’t want to be viewed as “predatory” and could be waiting for the two Arizona schools to bolt for the Big 12 before making a move itself.

Oregon, according to Thamel, is the key to this next round of movement. If the Ducks move for the Big Ten, Thamel reported on Thursday that Washington would join with them.

If the Ducks decide they’re comfortable remaining in the Pac-12 and being the new flag-bearer for the conference when the College Football Playoff expands, the picture could change.

Either way, Notre Dame appears to be content to sit.

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Notre Dame leadership has placed a premium on its football independence. That doesn't appear to be changing soon.

A viewpoint from Colin Cowherd...