Charles Fischer

How Beaver Fans Feel About Future Civil Wars? Whoa!

It is a slow time and entertainment comes in many forms.  Fortunately, the fans of Oregon State have given us some dandies that would snap anyone's head around.  They really need to chew on a tree to let go of their frustration...  I would have thought that offering an olive branch of future Civil War contests would create some goodwill?  Think again...

About Future Civil War Clashes...

"Tell them to go fricken themselves."

"Nothing less than a total break from $UO."

"Unless uo is planning on splitting their B1G revenue with OSU, they can move completely on. Thanks to the ducks, we’re in different leagues. They will have superior athletes and coaches and facilities. Would be like OSU playing Portland State."

"Saying "we will prioritize the long-held traditions", right after bolting the conference you've been in for over 100 years, leaving behind an historic rivalry.....is pretty tone deaf. Especially after they were the ones that ultimately drove the final nail in the coffin."

Beaver Envy KC FP.jpg

"No way should we ever play the Ducks in any sport ever again. Phil Knight single handily destroyed our conference."

"Agree, it is clear traditions, rivalry and the state of Oregon football don't mean anything to them."

"I didn’t think I could dis-like UO any more than I do…but now I have found even more reasons to hate that athletic department. Really, really despicable."

"We must not play them ever, in any sport."

"Spare me. The rivalry means jack squat. They took the money. Good for them. Don't call me. Don't text me. Don't think of me."

"Rob Mullins can die in a fire."

"You would have to be completely brain dead to think this is a good idea."

"Oregon destroyed what was left of the Pac-12 for the big time $. Good for you, but don't pretend that little brother needs you to throw us a pity bone. 1. We've always been the big brother, you know established first (More national championships) and 2, we are no longer brothers. We're not even cousins."

"Screw Mullens and all things duck, the only way we ever play them again after this season is in a playoff situation."

Beavers beleagured Video.jpg

"Yes the ucks weren’t alone destroying it but they could have saved it. But decided to turn their backs and give all us the finger."

"Call me an idiot then, at least I'm not an *uck. NEVER SCHEDULE THE *UCKS."

"The arrogance of *uskies and *ucks on social media is just astounding. They seem shocked that Beavs and Cougs do not want to continue rivalry games with them (especially if not in another Power 5 conference).

Who do they think they are that they get to pick and choose which CFB traditions they'll keep, and which they'll destroy? They can rip apart a conference over 100 years old, but still decide for us they want to play certain rivalry games. Pound sand, *ucks and *uskies. Sure, OSU would have jumped to the B1G if the situation were reversed. That's not the point. The point is OSU and WSU have a full say in which traditions they want to maintain going forward."

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I don’t blame the Beavs for being upset. 

They are most definitely wrong about Phil Knight killing the conference—that was SUC’s Carol Folt. 

Can we revenue share with the Beavs??

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Like you, I felt bad about how things shook out.  I wanted the Pac-12 to survive, but had to accept the B1G decision, and now am pleased with it.

But to blame Oregon or Phil Knight?  That is beyond wacko...how about blaming the right people?  You know...the tons of incompetent ADs in Corvallis who hired one loser coach after another for umpteen years?

Think of it...in 1979 the Beavers had to choose between--the ultimately most winning coach at UCLA, Terry Donahue, or Rich Brooks, or Craig Fertig.  Good call, BONEHEADS.  All of the history of the Ducks could have been Oregon State's had they hired Brooks...the gradual growth of the program...bring Mike Bellotti to Corvallis, who then would have brought Chip Kelly to Corvallis?  Geez...orange would have been a fashionable color with all that happening!

Don't have much of a brand or fan base?  Whose fault is that?

The lack of clear thinking really is Mountain West logic...which is where they belong.

giphy.gif

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

If the rest of the Pac had invested as much time effort and cash as the Ducks have the last 15-20 years in building up both their brand and teams, maybe someone would have been interested in broadcasting their games. Expecting the Ducks to bury themselves in an Apple streaming subscription wasteland when they had better options, is ridiculous. I feel  bad for the Beavs but joining the Mountain West or some sort of Pac/ MW merger may not be so bad.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Fan talk and bantor means absolutely nothing. If Beaver fans dont want to play us thats okay.

I think scheduling the games will be difficult if the BIG stays at 9 conferences games. Damn near impossible at 10 games.

However, money will dictate whether the Beavers play the Ducks at Autzen in future years.

Lets say the Ducks pay the Beavs $1 million to play in Eugene. Thats a lot of money.....

The MWC Commissioner said the schools receive beyween 5 & 6 million dollars annually from TV partners.

So a single game at Autzen could represent 20% of OSU football revenue. The strapped for cash Beavers athletic department will not care what the fans think.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/10/2023 at 6:36 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

They are most definitely wrong about Phil Knight killing the conference—that was SUC’s Carol Folt. 

Exactly. If anyone killed the conference, it's USC and UCLA. By the time the Ducks decided to leave for the Big10, CO had also left, and ASU, AZ, and Utah were getting ready to leave.

I hope OSU and WSU can find a way to join/merge with another conference to keep them competitive.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I cant wait till I meet up with the in-laws--They are all Beavers--😬

• Oh no! 1

They can replace the Ducks with Portland St.  I'm sure that will bring in the viewers.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 8/10/2023 at 6:15 PM, Charles Fischer said:

"Unless uo is planning on splitting their B1G revenue with OSU, they can move completely on. Thanks to the ducks, we’re in different leagues. They will have superior athletes and coaches and facilities. Would be like OSU playing Portland State."

But... 

Oregon State has played Portland State... 

They have also lost to Eastern Washington. 

No real need for me to mention that second one ... But Vernon Adams did a number on them and I just wanted to mention it. 

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Feelings are hurt right now. Facts are Oregon would have taken Oregon State with them if possible. Just like Arizona did with ASU. USC took UCLA with them, but unfortunately the B1G didn't see it as a gain.

Oklahoma State said they would stop playing Oklahoma after this year. I hope that isn't true. Give it a few years, the hurt feelings will go away... Hopefully.

Can't blame either side imo. For Oregon it was about securing a seat at the table. For Oregon State, it feels like abandonment.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

I think we have all had kids and know what to do, lets just move on and not pay attention.

dragontan.gif

Got a feeling this years CW game is going to be nasty. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Beaver hatred of all things Duck has always been rooted in jealousy.  It is always easier to blame someone else.

When they point their finger at the Ducks for Beaver deficiencies, how many fingers in their hand are pointing back at themselves?

How is it Oregon’s fault that the BIG did not want the SU’s from the northwest?  

As noted above, until OSU and WSU address their own problems, they are doomed to mediocrity. I for one can live without the game formerly known as the civil war, but understand it was the Beavs that pulled the plug on it, not the Ducks.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/11/2023 at 5:31 AM, GatOrlando said:

For Oregon State, it feels like abandonment.

I understand that, and really felt bad when all of this came down.  I did not want this for Oregon State at all.

Then I read what those dim-wits wrote, and you have to remember....I did not include all of them, or the worst because our "bad-word" filter would not have allowed the posts to publish.  After reading that so many of the OSU fans actually were angry at Oregon...it was pretty hard to fathom.

Some Beaver fans did take accountability and directed their anger at the Beaver athletic administration over the years, but so many just wanted to blame Oregon and Phil Knight. 

We gotta save little brothers from themselves?

giphy.gif

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I think it’s called little man’s disease. 

Lets see, $25M vs eventually $75M, national exposure vs regional exposure, and easier recruiting, bigger competition.  USC and UCLA already gone, Co already out the door, Az with one foot out the door, and OSU expects UO to give that up just to save them and a sinking ship?  If the roles were reversed, there's not a chance OSU would turn that down to save us.

I feel bad for the situation OSU is in, but a lot of it is self made, so take some responsibility.  Stop blaming and whining, and move forward with the best options that are still available.

Cheer up Beavus. It's friday, try and find some joy in Your day. There is beauty everywhere. 

My day started on a mountain 8 miles behind Detroit Dam. Mt Jefferson at sunrise behind Detroit Lake. 20230811_062336.thumb.jpg.a7f51ad6f5217a0f4cd8cd498c034a9b.jpg20230811_062101.thumb.jpg.319b3df34d0638b60cd5c194dcace512.jpg

• Wow 1
  • Like 2

The Mountain West might not be anywhere near the P4 TV deals, but it better than everybody else, except the AAC.  However, since the AAC lost their 3 biggest teams, I'm guessing the MW will have the better of the TV contract the next go around.

B1G Ten - 1 billion per year, 62.5 mil per school(16 schools)

Big 12 - 31.7 mil per school

SEC - 300 mil per year, which is only 18.75 per school??  Where does the SEC get all their money, if their contract is only 300 mil per year?  The 2nd article has the SEC at 70 mil per school.

ACC - 17 mil per school

AAC - 7 mil per school

MW - 4 mil per school

Mid-American - 600K per school

Sun Belt 500K per school

Conference USA - between 400k - 500k per school

WWW.ON3.COM

While changes are coming, here are the conference TV deals for each of the 10 leagues, for Notre Dame and for the College Football Playoff.

STREAMINGSTADIUM.COM

Which Power 5 conference has the most lucrative TV deal? We rank the TV contracts for the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, PAC-12, and SEC.

I wonder if any of these fuming Beavs remember Ed Ray? You know, Larry Scotts biggest advocate.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 8/10/2023 at 6:57 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I wanted the Pac-12 to survive, but had to accept the B1G decision, and now am pleased with it.

100% agree.

I would think the Beavs would want to keep the fka CW, so they could try and get revenge/bragging rights.

Good news Beavs, when you're in the MW you'll be at the top of the heap; bad news, you'll be shunned as a payday game for being too good.

Mismanagement of the PAC 12 led to its demise. It is an unfortunate turn of events for OSU. 

Oregon was forced into this position simply because of the economics of the move.

Unfortunately, the bonds used to pay for the renovation of Reser Stadium may not be paid by revenues from OSU athletics. They may very well default and nobody is a winner if that happens. 

Both Duck and Rodent fans will end up paying for the default out of the general fund in Oregon….ughhh

On 8/11/2023 at 8:31 AM, GatOrlando said:

Feelings are hurt right now. Facts are Oregon would have taken Oregon State with them if possible. Just like Arizona did with ASU. USC took UCLA with them, but unfortunately the B1G didn't see it as a gain.

Oklahoma State said they would stop playing Oklahoma after this year. I hope that isn't true. Give it a few years, the hurt feelings will go away... Hopefully.

Can't blame either side imo. For Oregon it was about securing a seat at the table. For Oregon State, it feels like abandonment.

Go away? Likely, but Texas hasn't played A+M since 2012. 

On 8/11/2023 at 2:07 PM, anyotherduck said:

I wonder if any of these fuming Beavs remember Ed Ray? You know, Larry Scotts biggest advocate.

And the Pac-12 is also eating a big dose of Michael M. Crow.

• Thumbs Up 2

Texas and Texas A&M were never partners imo. It's like Florida and FSU, there is no "brothers in arms" deal in these states. It's a rabid dislike in these football crazy states. I can speak to the majority in saying we would relish FSU being relegated to the AAC.

The uncivil beavus fans can keep the "civil" war game.

And paying lots of $$ is a silly idea.

Maybe the pac4 can revive and gather 6 more teams. Then the Apple deal will seem worth it.

In the mean time, they really are acting like a little brother. 

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

On 8/11/2023 at 8:01 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I understand that, and really felt bad when all of this came down.  I did not want this for Oregon State at all.

Then I read what those dim-wits wrote, and you have to remember....I did not include all of them, or the worst because our "bad-word" filter would not have allowed the posts to publish.  After reading that so many of the OSU fans actually were angry at Oregon...it was pretty hard to fathom.

Some Beaver fans did take accountability and directed their anger at the Beaver athletic administration over the years, but so many just wanted to blame Oregon and Phil Knight. 

We gotta save little brothers from themselves?

giphy.gif

I keep hearing that Oregon State and Washington State , did more with less than any other P5 member. Is that true? I'm asking as someone who associates Washington State with that '97 squad with Ryan Leaf. I recall Oregon State playing in a Fiesta Bowl back in '01. I think they throttled Notre Dame. 

I know they may have more history, but I think that was before my time. Heck until Chip Kelly elevated Oregon, and the uniforms became elaborate, I only knew about Oregon because of Akili Smith, and Joey Harrington. Then it was the Oregon punch game against Boise State.

On 8/12/2023 at 5:29 AM, GatOrlando said:

I keep hearing that Oregon State and Washington State , did more with less than any other P5 member. Is that true? I'm asking as someone who associates Washington State with that '97 squad with Ryan Leaf. I recall Oregon State playing in a Fiesta Bowl back in '01. I think they throttled Notre Dame. 

I know they may have more history, but I think that was before my time. Heck until Chip Kelly elevated Oregon, and the uniforms became elaborate, I only knew about Oregon because of Akili Smith, and Joey Harrington. Then it was the Oregon punch game against Boise State.

Every once in awhile Bevus gets good. More of a blind squirrel thing than a progr'm turning a corner thing.

Ducks are a progr'm turned a corner thing. Maybe the corner was a long sweeping bend over a few decades.

The history of the rise of Oregon is a great story. A few bumps in the road as you mentioned. "Blount force trauma" game at Boise State.

The Ducks are on the cusp of turning that corner and becoming a true BlueBlood progr'm. We will always be "new money" in the eyes of traditional BlueBloods.

Ducks are here to stay. Bevus will have a nice season now and again. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sometimes teams get the right coach with the right players at the right time. That’s what happened to WSU and OSU. However, both coaches only stuck around for a couple of years afterward and left for what they thought were greener pastures. Erickson got fired by the Seahawks and Price’s Bama story doesn’t need explaining. Neither of these coaches really moved the needle in college football afterward.

The Beavers hired a great coach (IMHO) afterward and came close to the Rose Bowl a couple of times, but they were thwarted in dramatic fashion both times in their final Pac 10 game. They haven’t really been good since 2009 not counting last season. WSU had one more good year under Doba with Price’s players, but he was terrible from then on. Leach was a great hire for them, but he could never with the division.

Good programs maintain some sort of success after going through coaching changes which I think is the product of a good administration. A bad AD can bury a football program for years due to bad hiring/firing decisions. Oregon has won the PAC with 4 different coaches since Rich Brooks left, so somebody is doing something right. The detractors will say it’s Uncle Phil’s $$$, but that hasn’t kept the coaches from leaving. 

They were probably a giddy about future CW’s in their new stadium. I’m sure they thought it was going to be louder than Autzen. Now it’s going to sit half filled during their epic border clashes with Boise, WSU and Nevada.

• Yikes! 1

That Fiesta Bowl was so sweet. As soon as ND found out that Oregon State was going to be their opponent in the game, they started complaining that ND deserved a more "worthy" adversary. It was really quite satisfying to watch the Beavs beat them 41-9. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 8:29 AM, Annie said:

That Fiesta Bowl was so sweet. As soon as ND found out that Oregon State was going to be their opponent in the game, they started complaining that ND deserved a more "worthy" adversary. It was really quite satisfying to watch the Beavs beat them 41-9. 🙂

Seeing Notre Dame getting clobbered in just about every big bowl game since the turn of the new millennium is always welcome. The attitude of them being elite, yet getting exposed every time they make the playoffs, or BCS title game, or NY6, just is the gift that keeps giving.

The ACC did everyone a disservice in 2020.

• Applause 1

On 8/11/2023 at 11:07 AM, anyotherduck said:

Beaver fans: "Ed who?"

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2