Log Haulin

Thoughts on Texas Tech

Watching TT v. WY. Late in the 2nd TT is up 17-10 with 156 yrd of offense. Meh, they are ok. 

No way TT keeps up with Ducks. Techs D is going to get throttled. Oregons O could very well end up top 3 nationally. 

I think Ducks D comes out and plays with some urgency. Lannings presser, he kept going back to the "standard". Numbers were outstanding but again, eyeballs dont lie. 

Lanning will address it. Hopefully the D brings aggression and speed next week. Get after it.

Right now, what I see of TT, Ducks by 17. Game never in risk. Colorado just got interesting. Looking forward to the Buffs forsure.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 2

Tech may be heading home to face OBD with a loss. 😬

But even if they eek out a win, and given the jump from game 1 to 2, plus home field advantage, I still agree with you. Oregon comes home 2-0. 

We'll see. Of course I hope OBD wins, but some teams play up and down depending on who their competition is. I'm sure TT will be fired up when the Ducks come into their house.

Ducks just need to focus and execute and all the rest will fall into place. I'm sure DL will have them prepared.

We'll have a ton of film on Tech, though Tech will have a lot of film to correct their mistakes.

Feel great about our offense, defense I have no idea since it was such a weird game today with some guys out.

On 9/2/2023 at 7:32 PM, Log Haulin said:

Colorado just got interesting. Looking forward to the Buffs forsure.

Colorado is a bit of a mystery right now because we also have no idea how good TCU actually is... they were good last year but have they lost too many pieces? Also... Big 12 doesn't play defense so Colorado will fit right in there next year.

I don't think Colorado can stop Oregon's run game... I'm also not sure they have enough firepower to keep up if Oregon is able to get some solid stops.

All I can say about Oregon this week is that the Ducks looked DEEEEEP in terms of talent. Definitely the deepest team in the conference.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Oh my. Just tuned in to this. TT up by a TD over Wyoming in the 2nd OT. Plenty of film for DL and crew to study. 

A special thanks is in order for Wyoming taking Texas Tech into OT to wear them down and show us the recipe how to stop Texas Tech's offense.

Edited by Solar
  • Haha 1

Wyoming has a ton of heart. Good win. Hurts our SOS a bit, but worth it to watch such a great win. 

And Wyoming scores a TD and makes the 2pt conversion to win 35-33. They were a 13pt underdog. Oregon will absolutely benefit from this.

On 9/2/2023 at 9:42 PM, Krsmqn said:

Wyoming has a ton of heart. Good win. Hurts our SOS a bit, but worth it to watch such a great win. 

It's what makes college football so great, going to be sad if we see less of this in the future, and I say that knowing Oregon might be on the wrong end one of these times.

• Thumbs Up 2

I missed this one. Was it in Laramie? Strange things happen there similar to the way that Duck fans describe games in Pullman.

Colorado looked legit to me on offense, but this early impression may change before they meet the Ducks. Defense, who knows? If I am Nix, however, I'd know enough not to challenge Travis Hunter too often. Hunter is impressive on both sides of the ball, similar to Georgia's Champ Baily on the late 90s who was a first-team all SEC wideout and a first-team All American cornerback on everybody's team the year he declared for the draft. 

Had Champ in class during the off season after his first year in the NFL. He was very shy around me at first to the point of asking his young wife, who was also a student in that class, to ask if it would be possible to make up the scheduled exam upcoming. When I asked why, she told me that Roland (his given name) had been selected to play in the Pro Bowl in Hawaii and they wanted badly to go. I laughed and told her "Be ready to take the exam om Tuesday of the following week" and they were. As I got to know Champ better, little did I know that I was chatting up a future Hall of Fame pro CB. He was a very nice and surprisingly humble young man.

Sorry to get so far off-script for this thread. Hunter for the Buffs really impressed me today thus eliciting memories and a story I felt was worth telling.

• Cool 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 3

What? Your telling us Wyoming won?  Oh crap!  

Well, good for Wyoming - you gotta hand it to them for what was a big program win.  Congratulations Cowboys.

But it will diminish the game somewhat for the Ducks ASSUMING they win.  If Oregon plays as flawlessly as it did today and limits the penalties like today it should be a convincing win for the Ducks.  

I sure didn't see this one coming.

Hope the Raiders are up for this game like Meatchicken was the week after losing to Appalachian State... could be fun for OBD!

On 9/2/2023 at 9:37 PM, Solar said:

the recipe how to stop Texas Tech's offense.

Starting Tyler Shough?

On 9/3/2023 at 12:44 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

And Wyoming scores a TD and makes the 2pt conversion to win 35-33. They were a 13pt underdog. Oregon will absolutely benefit from this.

I’m not sure this will benefit Oregon.

After laying an egg Tech will definitely be more “up” for the Ducks than ever, so the loss may actually help TT.

I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t the loss as a benefit to Oregon, other than possibly helping to tweak the game plan.

I tuned into this game when TT was already up 17-3. Announcers were talking about how TT was absolutely dominant up to that point but I didn't see it. What I did see was Wyoming battling much harder than TT and deserving the win. I didn't see nearly enough defensive power to stop the UO offensive machine. I didn't see enough offensive power to over power the UO defense.

Each game is different sure but what I saw last night looks like an up coming tewnty ish point victory for the Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 3

While I would agree that the road OT loss might make TT more determined against the Ducks, two factors give Oregon a small but real advantage. 

DL and staff have more and better film to study. TT was likely forced to use more playbook to try and pull out a win in Laramie. Perhaps of greater importance is that OT offense and defense is all red zone, and could tip their hand to how they would play in the toughest part of the field.

Historically teams are impacted by OT games. The impact on the following game is greatest when you lose, particularly on the road. While teams that subsequently play at home still have a relative advantage straight up, they do poorly against the spread. Again, small but real potential advantage Oregon.

WWW.ODDSSHARK.COM

There have been seven overtime games so far in the 2019 season, including six in Week 2 alone...

Edited by EastBayDuckDad
Misspell

Texas Tech vs. Wyoming score: Cowboys rally from three-score deficit to shock Texas Tech in double overtime

Wyoming defeated Texas Tech in double overtime Saturday, 35-33, rallying from a 17-0 first-quarter deficit to stun the Red Raiders as two-touchdown underdogs at War Memorial Stadium in Laramie, Wyoming.

In a game delayed by more than an hour prior to kickoff due to weather, the Cowboys found themselves down to their final breath in the second overtime series when quarterback Andrew Peasley connected with tight end John Michael Gyllenborg on a hot read for a touchdown. Wyoming then converted the 2-point conversion for the win.

It was a wild ending to a game that was all Texas Tech early. The Red Raiders offense scored on its opening series of the night when quarterback Tyler Shough found wide receiver Myles Price for a 33-yard touchdown.

They quickly doubled that lead to 14-0 with another touchdown following a fumble recovery that put the offense back on the field. Texas Tech later addend a field goal to exit the first quarter up 17-0

However, momentum seemingly shifted early in the second quarter after a Shough pass was intercepted by Wyoming defensive back Wrook Brown.

Wyoming later tied the game at 17 on a 16-yard touchdown run by Sam Scott midway through the third quarter before taking a 20-17 lead on a field goal with just over six minutes into the fourth quarter.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Wyoming fell behind 17-0 in the first quarter only to storm back for a double-overtime thriller

Say, isn't the stadium at Laramie one of the highest (elevation-wise) in the nation?  Perhaps the Red Raider's were gassed by the end of the game.  In fact, very likely they were.  That elevation difference can be a very real obstacle to overcome.  This is not to take anything away from the Cowboys.  They deserved the win.  I can't wait to see how the Ducks do against Tyler Shough and company after this lop-sided with against PSU.

Team that plays the best D should win. TT at home will be a different team.

Oregon 44

TT 38

The Texas Tech O started with a bang and then just sputtered the rest of the evening against an undersized but aggressive group of Cowboys.  An impressive win in OT by 2 TD dog Wyoming.

Shough's OL in 2023 was supposed to be a strength of the TT team but the Wyo D got pressure on Shough all game long. 

TT will be fired up to right the ship next Saturday, The game kicks off later than the CU at TCU game did (11 a.m. Central kickoff in Fort Worth) but it still will be hot, hot, hot in Lubbock. The on-field temperature in Forth Worth yesterday reached 106 degrees. DL might consider practicing in a sauna. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/2/2023 at 9:36 PM, David Marsh said:

Ducks looked DEEEEEP in terms of talent. Definitely the deepest team in the conference.

Exactly! We have the highest rated team in the league by a mile. DL is finally putting that on the field.

On 9/3/2023 at 12:27 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

Exactly! We have the highest rated team in the league by a mile. DL is finally putting that on the field.

We'll need to see this depth against the varsity next Saturday and not the JVs, in 100+ degree on-the-field heat. 

That was an impressive beatdown of an overwhelmed opponent. SC, UW, Cal, Wazzu, and every team but ASU, played better competition and came away with impressive victories. Cal under OC Spavital looked like a brand-new football team. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Lets say Wyoming is 150% better than PSU--We still come through with a 20 point on the road victory. I don't think Wyoming is 150% better than PSU, maybe 75% better. Just my opinion of course.

Even If we are playing the grand pa's and grand ma's, 80 points is pretty dang good.

Next week we will see.

Tex Tech went to Laramie a day early to adapt to altitude.  Wyoming's coach said beforehand "well, the scientists tell me it takes about six weeks."   Obviously a little gamesmanship, laugh.

Wyoming's coach also said before he was at Laramie and he brought his visiting NDSU team, "we were gassed in the fourth quarter, and we lost to Wyoming late."

Elevation in Lubbock is 3,200 feet.  It is 7,200 in Laramie.   It is 430 in Eugene.

Elevations are always interesting to look at.  We tend to think of someplace "in the desert" as being low elevation, but not always the case.  Lubbock is higher than any Pac12 location except Utah and Colorado.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/3/2023 at 12:54 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Lets say Wyoming is 150% better than PSU--We still come through with a 20 point on the road victory. I don't think Wyoming is 150% better than PSU, maybe 75% better. Just my opinion of course.

Ah, the old transitive property (TP) football score game. TP is lots of fun but rarely wins bets or comes true.

To me, this is an Al Davis, Just Win Baby!, game. So long as Oregon's postgame wheels up with a W, I will be happy.

All I learned from yesterday's beat down of PSU was that PSU is really really bad. TT will give the Ducks a run for their money next saturday. I don't see the Ducks losing but they'll have to earn it. Early line Ducks by 7. Should be a much more entertaining game vs a highlight reel.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 stats from the PSU blowout that I find to be disturbing.

SACKS - 0, Zip, Nada against an overmatched group of athletes. TFL - 3. 

Where was the pass rush and the havoc-play D? I hope this isn't a trend. The D will be playing against better athletes in every game from now on. I saw nothing yesterday to convince me that the front 7 has improved let alone greatly improved.  Is Tosh the right guy? Because I do not see the players 'getting it.'

• Thumbs Up 3

This weeks "W" is in the books.  Next week is a new opponent with new challenges.  I am confident in DL's ability to prep and plan for the upcoming opponent, and I also believe that TT is NOT going to mail it in after that game at Wyoming. I recall a game last year against Georgia that was kinda ugly and that season turned out ok.

Shough has something to prove to Oregon and TT's coaches will do what they can to prep/calm him down for this matchup.   TT does have a couple good WR's so our DB's have to bring a good game.  Pressure on Shough should help, but as Jon pointed out, "Where was the pass rush"?  I think we see a more complex defensive plan, a plan that works to create havoc in the backfield.  TT's offensive line seemed a little suspect so it will be fun to see what is dialed up instead of the vanilla D against PSU.

Ahhh, college football...welcome back!!

• Thumbs Up 2

Road trips can trip you up. This will be the next challenge. 

I do agree with Charles this team has the potential to be special.

The one item is they had better been holding back the more complex defensive packages. If we can't pressure a qb this season it won't be special.

Another curious stat is Soelle led our team in tackles. I guy with one start at ASU leads our team in tackles? The defense is definitely still a question mark. I'll be looking for more clarity here next week.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think "havoc" may mean something different to DL than "sacks" or even TFL's.  It's a more general idea of disruption with containment and forcing QB's to make spot reads and decisions under duress.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/3/2023 at 2:19 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

I think "havoc" may mean something different to DL than "sacks" or even TFL's.  It's a more general idea of disruption with containment and forcing QB's to make spot reads and decisions under duress.

Georgia had 49 sacks for a loss of 400 yds the year after he left.

Maybe Georgia redefined havoc after Lanning left?

Sorry but that excuse sounds like how we tried to rationalize MariØ's offense.

I want to see havoc!

I do love our offense, I just want a matching crazy good defense!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/3/2023 at 5:49 PM, Haywarduck said:

Georgia had 49 sacks for a loss of 400 yds the year after he left.

Maybe Georgia redefined havoc after Lanning left?

Sorry but that excuse sounds like how we tried to rationalize MariØ's offense.

I want to see havoc!

I do love our offense, I just want a matching crazy good defense!

What is this, Lanning's 14 game? 11 wins. How long did it take Kirby to get his D up to the elite level they play at today?

Duck could very well have a top five offense. So YES to a matching defense. Probably win the superbowl. 

Viks aren't talented enough get a read on where this D is at. Pretty bland play calling. PSU threw the ball 20 times. Many v. Ducks 2nd and 3rd team. Not much opportunities for sacs. Especially with a mobile qb.

Defensive playbook will be opened up a bit more next week. Ducks front seven should be much more active. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Watching the Texas Tech game last night honestly reminded me of the 2020 Civil War. We were up with Shough as our QB, and we just bogged down. It seemed the same exact thing happened. But I also feel the Wyoming team was inspired, which is why I love college football! No sport like it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2023 at 12:05 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Partly because it was obvious that PSU was trying to get out of Autzen as quickly as possible. They ran the ball on normal passing downs once they were down by a few touch downs.  PSU was 8 of 20 passing. 

While I am not completely sold on our DC, I think this years defense will improve.  

Edited by Drake
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2023 at 6:44 PM, Drake said:

While I am not completely sold on our DC, I think this years defense will improve.  

If you are referring to Tosh Lupoi (which I think you are) then I have to agree with you.  But he is Lanning's choice so I respect that even if I can't respect the man himself.  And if he helps to build a defense at Oregon that mimics their offense, helping them to win a championship then I'll bite my tongue.  But I'll never forgot why he was let go twice by two different coaches I respect, and why.

He's Oregon's DC and that's that.  Go Oregon.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/3/2023 at 12:05 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Yep. And for a coach who only cares about playing to the "standard", one has to wonder what his approach is here. Because it seems very strange to me that the standard wouldn't include sacks and tfl's. For a defense that wants to be "feared"? 

Teams (especially opposing QB's) will fear a potent pass rush, as well as defenders they know can make good tackles behind the line. Add in lockdown DB's and you have a recipe for a feared defense. 

I trust Lanning, for now. He has done nothing to show me otherwise. But I feel like Tosh, and perhaps Tony T may need to reevaluate their approach. 

Maybe this was a designed vanilla showing on defense. Who really knows? But it seems like giving the opposition more to prepare for could serve us well. I mean, it sure did in the past whan Chip was here. I'm sure there's an article/video somewhere around here exploring that. 

Anywho... I don't think our defense played badly, but just that it lacked that deadly and "feared" element, in my opinion. 

I mean, not one sack? C'mon. 

On 9/3/2023 at 6:44 PM, Drake said:

PSU was 8 of 20 passing.

Right there solved the mystery of the lack of sacks. 

20 passing attempts. The rest of the plays were handoffs to run. You can't sack a runner ... It's a TFL. 

Granted... Yeah 3 TFLs isn't great. But the dress was also pretty bland. And keep in mind the defense also held PSU to 8 first downs. That's not a lot of plays. 

Not trying to make an excuse... But we also don't know enough yet to judge. 

The biggest jump in development happens between games 1 and 2. So here's hoping the defense makes that jump.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2023 at 7:55 PM, David Marsh said:

Right there solved the mystery of the lack of sacks. 

20 passing attempts. The rest of the plays were handoffs to run. You can't sack a runner ... It's a TFL. 

Granted... Yeah 3 TFLs isn't great. But the dress was also pretty bland. And keep in mind the defense also held PSU to 8 first downs. That's not a lot of plays. 

Not trying to make an excuse... But we also don't know enough yet to judge. 

The biggest jump in development happens between games 1 and 2. So here's hoping the defense makes that jump.

I see your point. But I still look at it as 0 sacks out of 20 chances. 

I agree though that it's too soon to judge. I just expected more from a defensive line that was hyped up a bit during camp. 

Lesson learned. 

Well, it's difficult for me to make assessments or pass judgement from a glorified scrimmage.

Multiple starters and back ups on the defense were playing together for the first time. For the first time....

D units take time to gel and build that level of trust with each other. The starters did not play every play and every down.

Players were being interchanged from the middle of the second quarter on.  Including true freshmen!

After the 2nd and third Vikings series, the D settled down and controlled their portion of the game. They made early mistakes but in game adjustments were made.

No matter who was on the field for the Ducks D they played assignment football and PSU punted 8 more times after the Vikings score  

Their was no open space over the middle on 3rd down. Thats an immense improvement over the last few seasons.

Everyone is entitled to how they viewed the game and their expectations. I cant share the negative view, in light of only surrendering 7 points. A few FCS schools have lit up the scoreboard at Autzen. The Vikings did not....

As for a linebacker leading the team in tackles, isnt that the goal. The big boys up front control the line of scrimmage and the linebackers fill the gaps, making tackles.

As for sacks, the Vikings were getting the ball out quickly. But with little results to show for it. 

I am proud of our Ducks D. They held a lesser opponent to just 7 points. They used 1st, 2nd and 3rd team players to accomplish it.

They say the most improvement comes between week1 and week 2. There are things that the D will need to improve on before playing TT next Saturday.

The quality of the next opponent is a significant upgrade over the Vikings. The Duck D needs to improve and put pressure on Shough. Throw off his his timing and jam their routes.

To me and i apologize if I offend anyone on the Forum, but the Viking scrimmage was not the benchmark for me to measure the D or coaches from.

The Texas Tech game will be. Then we will have a better base to evaluate from.

Go Ducks. .....

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

PSU had 52 passing yards. I don't think that was considered much of a threat.

106 teams recorded a sack this weekend. 

Oregon wasn't one of them.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2023 at 8:10 PM, Krsmqn said:

I see your point. But I still look at it as 0 sacks out of 20 chances. 

I agree though that it's too soon to judge. I just expected more from a defensive line that was hyped up a bit during camp. 

Lesson learned. 

I just looked at the snap counts... Many of the big defensive starters were on the field for less than 25 snaps. 

But I am looking for improvement on the sack front. Need to get to the QB and take him down. 

I know I saw quite a few throw aways from PSUs QB which are some pretty smart moves. But need to get to the QB faster moving forward.

• Applause 1

On 9/3/2023 at 8:32 PM, David Marsh said:

I just looked at the snap counts... Many of the big defensive starters were on the field for less than 25 snaps. 

But I am looking for improvement on the sack front. Need to get to the QB and take him down. 

I know I saw quite a few throw aways from PSUs QB which are some pretty smart moves. But need to get to the QB faster moving forward.

Precisely!

Bigger fish await, and if Oregon doesn't have a pass rush against a lowly FCS team, then we're in BIG trouble this year, in this league. 

I know I'm being skeptical, but I'm also going to be patient. If next Saturday shows more of the same, then I'll develop a worry. 

For now, I think I'm sick of the topic. How about that Offense!! 😎🐥

• Applause 1

On 9/3/2023 at 10:51 AM, HDuck said:

Tex Tech went to Laramie a day early to adapt to altitude.  Wyoming's coach said beforehand "well, the scientists tell me it takes about six weeks."  

Wyoming's coach also said before he was at Laramie and he brought his visiting NDSU team, "we were gassed in the fourth quarter, and we lost to Wyoming late."

Elevation in Lubbock is 3,200 feet.  It is 7,200 in Laramie.   It is 430 in Eugene.

There has been a small amount of comment about this and I believe that might be a bit short-sighted. 

, Wyoming was very motivated and played well down the stretch and maintained their composure in the two overtimes, but if you look at the TT players even in Q4 as well as the OT periods they just weren't as crisp and they looked gassed.

I hope it isn't true but I think the Ducks will see a much better 4th quarter TT team and we'd better be ready for that. 

GO DUCKS!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

They made early mistakes but in game adjustments were made.

This⬆️⬆️⬆️

These words were music to my ears.  The former guy did not know the meaning of in game adjustments.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2023 at 8:28 PM, Krsmqn said:

106 teams recorded a sack this weekend. 

Oregon wasn't one of them.

Yeah, it was kinda odd but you have to credit PSU with scheming to avoid that and their QB getting rid of the ball in a real hurry.  They'll come, I have no doubt.