Joe F

BREAKING: USC Defensive Coordinator Alex Grinch Fired

Way too late!

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

Appeases the fans... But unlikely to solve anything by next week. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/5/2023 at 1:13 PM, David Marsh said:

Appeases the fans... But unlikely to solve anything by next week. 

I hope not but I would have preferred to face a Ginch “coached” USC defense…

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Maybe the new defensive coordinator will put an emphasis on defense.

• Haha 2

Riley to Grinch:  Sorry buddy, I gotta let you go.  We're having a hard time scoring enough points to keep up with the other team.

Grinch to Riley:  So why not fire the OC for not scoring enough points?

Riley:  Great Point.  I'll hire you when I go to the NFL.  Keep your phone on.

• Haha 9
  • Mic drop 1

On 11/5/2023 at 1:12 PM, Joe fricken said:

Way too late!

Week too soon

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Oregon fans react to USC firing DC Alex Grinch a week before Duck game

They really couldn’t have waited one more week?

That’s likely what a lot of Oregon Duck fans are thinking right about now after the news broke that the USC Trojans officially fired defensive coordinator Alex Grinch, one of the most scrutinized coordinators in all of college football.

USC’s 52-42 loss to the Washington Huskies on Saturday night — the Trojans’ third loss in the last four games — was the straw that broke the camel’s back, with Michael Penix leading Washington to a big-time victory on the road.

It was actually Washington RB Dillon Johnson who did the most damage, rushing for 256 yards and 4 touchdowns in the win.

After being pegged as a College Football Playoff contender before the season started, USC’s porous defense quickly identified itself as a major hindrance. This season alone, the Trojans gave up more than 40 points in four games and had the No. 121 ranked scoring defense in the nation.

This came after a year where nobody could understand why Lincoln Riley decided to keep Grinch on his staff, with the Trojans’ defense being one of the main reasons for their ultimate downfall.

As you can expect, the college football world, and particularly the Oregon Ducks’ fanbase, had a lot to say about the firing on Sunday afternoon.

Here are some of the best reactions from the day...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Duck fans and the college football world at large reacted strongly to the USC Trojans firing DC Alex Grinch on Sunday.

• Like 1

I could never understand what went wrong, because (seriously) Grinch was GREAT at Washington State under Mike Leach and was instrumental in beating us four years in a row, I believe.  I thought he'd be scary at USC...

We gotta appreciate the three DC brain trust we have in Lanning, Lupoi and Hampton.  (All three were DCs at other schools)

Lanning and Lupoi discuss_Screenshot from Pac12 Network Video.jpg

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 3

Mr. FishDuck

The problem as USC is probably a bit schematic... But the bigger problem is not lining up properly, maintaining gap integrity and tackling. 

Last year opponents just seemed to give them the ball with a super high turnover margin. That hasn't happened this year and it's falling apart. 

You can't fix most of what is wrong with USCs defense in a week or a month. It's an off season. Best thing they can do heading into a game with the Ducks is simplify their defense and really sell out to stop something whether that is the run or the pass. 

They are no where complete enough to stop both. They'll sell out to stop something. Granted they basically sold out to stop the pass against Washington and that kind of worked in that Penix had a down night... But washywas happy to run all over them. 

I don't think USC has the players needed to stop the Ducks and this has been years in the making.

USC has ignored the lines both offensive and defense... And the Ducks have focused on them. Cristobal recruited some good linemen for us of which I am thankful. But under Lanning those linemen have been elevated to another level. 

FISHDUCK.COM

Oregon and USC seem primed to be the top two schools in the Pac-12. Both have top ten recruiting classes...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Truth is, you won't be able to gut and reshape the defense in a week. 

Scheme may be a little different and the new guys may call plays little different but the coordinators coached the players they way they have been playing.

I honestly don't think we will see much of a change next week.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It might have been more efficient if Riley had just fired himself. 

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I dont like things to change when all of our scouting is  based on tendencies observed. Things will change for this weeks game even if it is attitude of the players.

• Thumbs Up 2

It will be interesting and probably easier for Bo to read this new D.

With Grinch, the way the players lined up had nothing to do with their assignments.  At least now he may be able to guess what they are supposed to be doing.

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1

Per Riley after last year . . .

"I've been through it enough with that guy to know, don't bet against him. Anybody in a situation like this where we know we need to take a big jump in all areas, and we need to be better as coaches. We need to be better as players. We need to own the things that we did well. We need to own and fix the things we didn't do well," said Riley last year. "I just know what he's made of. I just do. And I know what's getting ready to happen defensively. And so, I just have a confidence and a belief, and not just Alex, but the other guys in the room. I believe in the quality of people that we have in there."

This on their way to the worst scoring D in school history!

Can you hear the collective groans from the BIG?

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

I honestly never thought Lincoln Riley was ever a good fit at USC and just kind of cringed when the news came out that he was hired to be the next Trojans HC. As I've said before, prototypical USC football is a pro-style offense and a solid defense. Right now, USC is a glorified Texas Tech with blue-chip players IMHO.

Sure, USC can replace the DC, but without Caleb Williams next season and no heir apparent in sight, I wouldn't be surprised if USC is a sub .500 team next season.

Also, it's kinda funny how the two prized schools in the LA market that the B1G pursued just both fell out of the top 25, while the two schools that the conference was hesitant to add, "that school up north" and OBD, are in the top 10 and in line for CFP contention.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/5/2023 at 3:58 PM, OceaniaDuck said:

Also, it's kinda funny how the two prized schools in the LA market that the B1G pursued just both fell out of the top 25, while the two schools that the conference was hesitant to add, "that school up north" and OBD, are in the top 10 and in line for CFP contention.

Unless the B1G wanted the additional TV money that the LA market brought, without the competition…

• Thumbs Up 2

Dangit, Jim... I wanted the Grinch, not some Johnny Come Lately who might have a clue!

Surely, folks don't think LR can stumble onto a cohesive defensive strategy in one week?

Wait! What??? They're after Lupoi???

I guess the, "Flop if you're tired" strategy could be installed by anyone, in a week.

Edited by woundedknees
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2023 at 3:29 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I could never understand what went wrong, because (seriously) Grinch was GREAT at Washington State under Mike Leach and was instrumental in beating us four years in a row, I believe.  I thought he'd be scary at USC...

We gotta appreciate the three DC brain trust we have in Lanning, Lupoi and Hampton.  (All three were DCs at other schools)

Way before USC, and based on what I saw at Wazzu, I thought it was a great hire for OU.  It wasn’t.  When Riley went to SC I was surprised he took Grinch with him.  I’m fairly certain he wishes now that he hadn’t. 

Riley used Grinch as a foil to survive another year and collect his 10 mil. 

The special teams at USC have been horrible. 

The OL has been like crap

The recruiting has been subpar

DB's playing like crap

LB's playing like crap

So they fire the DC and pretend they solved the problem

• Applause 1

On 11/5/2023 at 1:29 PM, Charles Fischer said:

This. I thought Grinch was finally going to make Oklahoma defense legit. He kinda did until about a year and a half, then the D got soft again.

There is a reasonable chance here that Riley is correct that replacing Grinch won't solve their problems on defense. Riley's complacency, apathy, devaluing towards defense is just corrosive to that part of the team.

• Mic drop 1

On 11/5/2023 at 5:01 PM, fred flintstone said:

So they fire the DC and pretend they solved the problem

USC fires its DC after UW scores 52.

What happens when the Ducks drop 60 or 70?

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Not sure this changes much. Can't install a whole new defensive scheme in 6 days. Players will not gain discipline in a week. I can't see them becoming gap sound and tackling better overnight.  Seems to me there will be a week or two of chaos before the Trojenz defense begins to turn the corner. If they ever do.

The Ducks need to play sound offense and defense. Bo will make his reads and execute the offense. The O-line will do their jobs. The defense will have the same match ups and reads. Williams is a very good QB and he will put a few scores up. Oregon will give up 30 or so, but the offense should score 40+. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess I have to agree with David on this one, not likely to solve much (in one week) and might even make things worse.  Riley must have been under a LOT of pressure: a 'Fire Grinch or you go too', sort of thing.  If the Ducks hang 45 points on 'em who's Riley gonna have to blame?  They may play better next game but I imagine morale in the locker room is pretty low right about now.

Go Ducks!

There is NO WAY a new defensive coordinator will get this team gelling in 6 days. No way against the #6 team. Oregon isnt getting weaker, they are getting stronger. Absolute nightmare for a U$C defense to learn and develop any cohesiveness in 6 days. They are going to get smoked...HARD!

45-24 Oregon.

U$C has gone overtime, lost by small margins and won by even smaller margins. 

U$C is submarining and Oregon is igniting the Rocket Engines on the launch pad. The score might be worse. 51-24

Its going to be ugly

• Let’s hope! 1

On 11/5/2023 at 5:09 PM, OregonDucks said:

USC fires its DC after UW scores 52.

What happens when the Ducks drop 60 or 70?

My 1st reaction to this post is "Are U kidding?!"  Then I remember last night's duel in the Duck Pond and I'm no longer gonna say that's a bit too high.  I still kinda think it is because USC will be able to eat up some clock with time of possession but I'm done with underestimating this Lanning-coached team.

On 11/5/2023 at 4:23 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Oregon fans react to USC firing DC Alex Grinch a week before Duck game

They really couldn’t have waited one more week?

That’s likely what a lot of Oregon Duck fans are thinking right about now after the news broke that the USC Trojans officially fired defensive coordinator Alex Grinch, one of the most scrutinized coordinators in all of college football.

USC’s 52-42 loss to the Washington Huskies on Saturday night — the Trojans’ third loss in the last four games — was the straw that broke the camel’s back, with Michael Penix leading Washington to a big-time victory on the road.

It was actually Washington RB Dillon Johnson who did the most damage, rushing for 256 yards and 4 touchdowns in the win.

After being pegged as a College Football Playoff contender before the season started, USC’s porous defense quickly identified itself as a major hindrance. This season alone, the Trojans gave up more than 40 points in four games and had the No. 121 ranked scoring defense in the nation.

This came after a year where nobody could understand why Lincoln Riley decided to keep Grinch on his staff, with the Trojans’ defense being one of the main reasons for their ultimate downfall.

As you can expect, the college football world, and particularly the Oregon Ducks’ fanbase, had a lot to say about the firing on Sunday afternoon.

Here are some of the best reactions from the day...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Duck fans and the college football world at large reacted strongly to the USC Trojans firing DC Alex Grinch on Sunday.

199 yards before contact for Johnson when he put up 256 rush yards vs. USC.

The Grinch Who Stole D had to go. He should have been gone after Tulane came back to win the Cotton Bowl. Jen Cohen is a new AD but she is not completely lost in space and had to be hearing from SC boosters.

On the sidelines last Saturday vs. the Dawgs, Grinch looked like a lost puppy. No one can fix this in one week.

Still, with Caleb Williams, Troy has a shot at winning every game.

SC has a bunch of good athletes on D playing like they are on their own. And a guy I like, Jon Wilner, had Bear Alexander as the best transfer coming into the Pac-12. Right?

Every situation is different, but Deion Sanders took away play calling duties from the OC last week and they turned in their worst offensive performance of the year (other than against the Ducks of course) this weekend.

• Oh no! 1

On 11/5/2023 at 5:52 PM, Solar said:

Every situation is different, but Deion Sanders took away play calling duties from the OC last week and they turned in their worst offensive performance of the year (other than against the Ducks of course) this weekend.

I didn't know that (I heard the announcers talking about something along those lines) but if that's the case he had better re-think his position quickly.  Although, the silly Beavers almost made him look like a genius in the last half of the 4th Qtr.  The in-game decisions made by Smith were reminiscent of what Mario Cristobal would have done.  What the heck happened to Johnathan Smith all of a sudden?

A couple of years ago the Beavers D was bad and not improving. JS fired the DC mid season and promoted Trent Bray. There was an immediate improvement in the D, and Trent is still the DC.

So... there may be some improvement... although the idea of a three headed monster does not impress me. Somebody's got to be in charge and call the shots.

"All is well! Nothing to see here, move right along." Kevin Bacon - Animal House.

Hard to fix stupid in one week. But, beware of Hubris. 

SC can score points in bunches. Cam Ward put up a lot of points against Oregon and put up 7 versus Stanford. And Caleb Williams is far, far better than Cam Ward. And ditto for the guys catching his passes.

I hope Oregon will not come into this game thinking that it will be a layup. 

This is now more of a trap game than versus Cal. Riley, SC, and Caleb have nothing to lose. It's the Holiday Bowl or LV Bowl for SC so Troy will be going a

• Thumbs Up 1

Can’t imagine Dan will let the team think this is a ‘layup’.  Just my perspective based on what I have seen thus far and let’s not forget the crowd will be pretty juiced by 7:30.

And another thing...

CAL played U$C how well? They should have beat U$C. Oregon just throttled CAL. Oregon choked them out. Oregon gifted CAL 10 points and yet beat them by 44. Yup.......44!!!

Oregon will not overlook U$C. Its the game they have looked at all year. If they don't win this one then its a real chance they don't play in the PAC championship. Yeah...Oregon won't overlook U$C.

Two weaknesses of Lincoln Riley, defense and winning bowl games. 

Riley is much like the Dodo bird, the defenseless bird who became extinct. Actually he is more like the Passenger Pigeon, which also became extinct, because a Riley led team does take to the air, but I just like the name Dodo.

While Riley won't become extinct because he will be protected by programs like sc, he is the defenseless Dodo who keeps on giving. 

Kudos to sc for forcing Riley to fire his dc. If only somebody had been more proactive with the Dodo bird maybe it could have been saved.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmmm... Spoiled Children+Coordinated D+discipline would be concerning... hahahaha.

Any more LR jokes?

• Thumbs Up 1

Jon Gold: USC finally sacks Alex Grinch, too late for it to matter

Ding, dong, the Grinch is dead, put out to pasture by either Lincoln Riley or Jen Cohen, depending on who you believe.

Alex Grinch’s tenure as USC defensive coordinator is finally over, months after it should have been.

Lincoln Riley finally mustered the gumption to do the hard work and fire his loyal comrade in arms...

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Alex Grinch’s tenure as USC DC is finally over, months after it should have been. Lincoln Riley finally mustered the gumption to...

Bruce Feldman names top candidates to replace Alex Grinch as USC defensive coordinator

From the article posted by @Pennsylvania Duck wrt the Cotton Bowl:

The fact that Grinch wasn’t summarily fired after that unforgivable finish speaks volumes about Riley’s loyalty, and speaks even louder about his unseriousness as a coach.”

This! Riley is not a serious coach.

Lincoln Riley says lack of 'progress' prompted firing of USC DC Alex Grinch

Lincoln Riley said he hadn't seen much progress or improvement from USC's defense since the previous November, and that's why he finally decided to fire coordinator Alex Grinch.

Riley acknowledged Monday that he felt exactly the same way as most of his team's fans while the USC defense badly failed to match its offense's excellence this season, culminating in three losses in the Trojans' last four games.

That didn't make the decision any easier for Riley, who fired a good friend and longtime colleague with two regular-season games left in only their second year at USC...

WWW.FOXSPORTS.COM

Lincoln Riley explained his decision to fire his friend and USC defensive coordinator Alex Grinch, noting a lack of improvement...

Is it harder for a defensive minded head coach to have a great offense, or vice versa? Alabama has changed it's philosophy from Saban's early years to now. Ohio State has seemingly flipped back to pre Urban days with this year's squad. Great recruiting helps obviously, but USC tried to get a quick fix with the portal. They've actually regressed. If I were USC, I would go after Parker at Iowa. Look at what Knowles has done for Ryan Day. Jokes aside, look at what Harbaugh has done. Finally using a 21st century offense.

Clemson has fallen back since they lost Venables, and Dabo being a dummy that refuses to adapt. Lincoln Riley needs to go get somebody that can bring a toughness he doesn't provide.

On 11/7/2023 at 4:35 AM, GatOrlando said:

Clemson has fallen back since they lost Venables, and Dabo being a dummy that refuses to adapt. Lincoln Riley needs to go get somebody that can bring a toughness he doesn't provide.

Actually, I'd just as soon see Riley make another poor hire.  The mean streak in me prefers to see USC struggle and lose because Oregon gets a lot of their best players from Southern California.  I'd like to see that pipeline keep flowing.  

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/7/2023 at 6:45 AM, Mic said:

Actually, I'd just as soon see Riley make another poor hire.

Brady Hoke might be available soon.

• Haha 3

Same with Texas and Florida.

Dillion Johnson on Saturday past put up 256 rush yards of the Trojans D.

Before Saturday, in his playing time at Mississippi State and UW, Johnson had 1 100-yard-plus game.

How could Riley, after watching the 2022 Pac-12 champ game loss to Utah and the Cotton Bowl loss to Tulane not have pulled the trigger earlier on Grinch?

1 week under new co-DCs will not fix this defense.

The long list of problems at USuC falls on Riley. Blaming the shortcomings of your own failed leadership and disconnected culture on a subordinate further shows that Riley isn't the man. Could USuC have learned anything from Oregons recent coaching journey? Oddly enough, USuC should have fired Riley and promoted Grinch to HC.

On another note, is Caleb Williams even draftable? My money is no, he is not, not right now anyway. At this point CW is looking like a bigger flame-out than Johnny "football" Manziel. If CW were smart he'd jump in the portal and get an extra solid year under a coach who can actually lead and coach.

• Applause 1

On 11/7/2023 at 11:04 AM, anyotherduck said:

The long list of problems at USuC falls on Riley. Blaming the shortcomings of your own failed leadership and disconnected culture on a subordinate further shows that Riley isn't the man. Could USuC have learned anything from Oregons recent coaching journey? Oddly enough, USuC should have fired Riley and promoted Grinch to HC.

On another note, is Caleb Williams even draftable? My money is no, he is not, not right now anyway. At this point CW is looking like a bigger flame-out than Johnny "football" Manziel. If CW were smart he'd jump in the portal and get an extra solid year under a coach who can actually lead and coach.

CW is going 1st overall in next year's draft. You can't teach the gifts that guy has.

On 11/7/2023 at 11:04 AM, anyotherduck said:

I guess this puzzles me because Caleb is leading the nation is some offensive stats.  And 7-3 (at this point) isn't bad, esp. in the Pac-12 this year.  Also, one doesn't have to be on a Championship team to get the scouts interested (tho it certainly helps).  Heck, he's already won one Heisman; he could still win another. (Hope not).

Would he 'jump' to another team?  That seems unlikely - unless he wants to win a Natty and figures USC isn't gonna be able to do that.  About his draftability - this I can't say.  He does have the size Manziel lacked and that's a big thing in the NFL.

Edited by Mic

On 11/7/2023 at 11:23 AM, Solar said:

CW is going 1st overall in next year's draft. You can't teach the gifts that guy has.

You might be right, but I have my doubts. 

While CW's physical talents are undeniable, his demeanor and entitled attitude likely won't be overlooked.

• Like 1

It will be interesting "who" Cindy Lou Riley will hire to replace his Grinch.

• Haha 1

Lincoln Riley has a very narrow resume working with almost exclusively Air Raid coaches.  The Mike Leach well has run dry, and Lincoln is going to have to hire someone he really doesn't know.  Whoever that is must be an amazing recruiter, an amazing defensive coordinator, and someone who is willing to work for Lincoln.  Sounds like mission impossible.