Pennsylvania Duck

Coach Dan Lanning Named Among Leading Candidate for Texas A&M Job

When you have a young head coach who is finding success on the field, fans are going to have to get used to hearing his name thrown about in conversations about open head coaching jobs across the nation, especially when they come at some of the more notable schools in college football.

It comes with the territory, and it’s something that fans of the Oregon Ducks should be used to by now.

So on Sunday morning, it might not have been a massive surprise to wake up and hear that Ducks’ coach Dan Lanning is being mentioned as one of the leading candidates for the Texas A&M Aggies job, which is expected to open up with the firing of Jimbo Fisher, something that was reported early this morning.

Fisher, who is 45-25 in his six seasons at College Station, is expected to be let go this weekend, with the Aggies buying out his full $78 million contract and eating the loss.

Going forward, they will be looking for coaching candidates who can help return the program to heights seen early last decade.

It’s understandable why Lanning is seen as one of the leading candidates.

In less than 2 seasons at Oregon, he has coached the Ducks to a 19-4 record, and appears well on his way to a potential spot in the Pac-12 Championship Game and subsequent College Football Playoff appearance should Oregon win their coming games.

As you would expect, the news of Fisher’s firing, and the subsequent speculation about his replacement, fired up social media on Sunday morning, with Oregon fans feeling some type of way.

Here’s a look at how fans were reacting...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Ducks head coach Dan Lanning has been named as one of the leading candidates for the Texas A&M job after the firing of...

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 3

Mr. FishDuck

But... I was positive MariNo-0 would be a top candidate! 

WotInEll happened?

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1

What?  They don't want Lincoln Riley??  risa.gif.b29d4d4da95afe2578786dd4ebb4a17c.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The only part of this story that catches my attention is the $78 million that they're going to pay Jimbo to hit the bricks. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A few months ago this might have been a threat......now that Oregon is BIG......why would a coach that has it made want to ruin it. 

A&M fans think their program is a move up.....it's not.....in fact it's a move down. 

Oregon has the facilities, fan support, weather, cash and is now in the BIG on the best channels......all that is missing is a few trophies....and that may be coming.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 3

Here we go again.

• Applause 1

Not worried 

• Like 1

Is Lannings heart in the SEC? He says all the right things but that means nothing when it comes to College HCs. 

Ducks aren't Bama, UGA, tOSU or the few other traditional BlueBlood progr'ms. UofO can sweeten the job but tradition is attractive.

So untill Ducks put some titles on the books, they are susceptible to getting their coach poached. Just the way it is in my opinion..

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/12/2023 at 8:05 AM, Desert Duck said:

The only part of this story that catches my attention is the $78 million that they're going to pay Jimbo to hit the bricks. 

He might be the only man in history to be paid 100 million (between Florida State and TAMU) to go away!

I wish I could be paid to go away, but instead with me....

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Here’s a novel idea. Hire a great coordinator at a modest salary and then give him time to develop and earn a bigger contract. A&M likes to throw money at the hot name and then hope they can fix their problems. They want somebody else to do the work and then buy them. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

In the hubris-and-money filled bubble that surrounds the ATM program, it is thought that they can name them, and they will come.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/12/2023 at 9:33 AM, Charles Fischer said:

He might be the only man in history to be paid 100 million (between Florida State and TAMU) to go away!

I wish I could be paid to go away, but instead with me....

giphy.gif

Exactly. And it is such a huge reminder of what a massive money making venture college football has become.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/12/2023 at 9:17 AM, fred flintstone said:

Oregon has the facilities, fan support, weather, cash and is now in the BIG on the best channels......all that is missing is a few trophies....and that may be coming.  

I'm not concerned about Lanning and A&M. If it was Alabama, then I'd just say, "Good night, Martha." And that day might come sooner than any of us want. 

However, if you know much about A&M, or College Station TX, you know that they have everything you're talking about in spades, and tremendous tradition to go with it. 

Well, in all fairness... they also get 100° temps with 98% humidity -- which is the worst.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I think calling someone a "candidate" implies that person has decided to enter the race with interest in the job. Who else is a "candidate": Bill Belichick? Nick Saban? The Golden Bachelor? Go ahead and name away all you want, ATM.

• Haha 3
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

This is indeed something the Ducks will need to get used to.  But it doesn’t make the take any less lazy.  

Oregon is rolling in talent, recruiting pipeline, NIL backing and will be in a conference that has as many paths/slots to the CFP as the SEC.

DL is on the cusp of creating a perennial powerhouse.  

And he’s going to leave that for TAM?

It’s honestly annoying.  

Of course it will be further fueled by DL not commenting on rumors blah blah blah (though it would be awesome for him to just come out and say ‘not happening’ to avoid the distraction of palace intrigue)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

On 11/12/2023 at 9:34 AM, CalBear95 said:

(though it would be awesome for him to just come out and say ‘not happening’ to avoid the distraction of palace intrigue)

IMO and if it were me. I wouldn't say one way or the other. Why would I shut down conversation that only raises my brand? Who knows, might be able to get another pay bump or other wants meet. So yea, I would leave it alone and let the chatter be what it will be.

• Thumbs Up 5

@Log Haulin

Quote feature not working on phone…

I know the nature of the beast is to never shoot down a rumor that can lead to you getting paid more now or in the future so I won’t be shocked for him to let the chatter go unchallenged 

Have to figure TAM hires a coach before December to get in front of the portal opening.  Or not.  

Either way it’s going to be an annoying few weeks 

• Thumbs Up 1

AnM fires their coach and a few hours later Lanning is "named" as a possible replacement. I highly doubt that a single source within AnM was sited as naming any candidates for the job. News without sources is just gossip. Lanning will get this team into the playoffs, his contract will again get bumped up to reflect his current value and the Ducks will keep on keeping on.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 11/12/2023 at 9:40 AM, Log Haulin said:

IMO and if it were me. I wouldn't say one way or the other. Why would I shut down conversation that only raises my brand? Who knows, might be able to get another pay bump or other wants meet. So yea, I would leave it alone and let the chatter be what it will be.

Unless it becomes a distraction for the team. He could, of course, address that internally within the team and not publicly. Hard to imagine sharing something that significant with 80-something college-age kids and expect them to keep it confidential, however.

We've been burned before by coach-speak about Oregon being a great place to be, then bolting as soon as something else comes along. It feels different with DL, and I want to believe it is different.  Time will tell.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

On 11/12/2023 at 8:05 AM, Desert Duck said:

And then if they some how manage to convince Lanning it would be another 20ish mil for his buy out ... And then the actual sallery on top of that. 

They probably could do it if they really wanted to but I don't think Lanning is going to bite. 

He is building his own loyalty as Oregon by building his own program. 

I also don't think his family would be too keen to move again when he has already said multiple times that he feels bad about moving them as much as he has. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/12/2023 at 9:46 AM, CalBear95 said:

Either way it’s going to be an annoying few weeks 

Going to be this way for years... This time every year is going to have Lanning as a top candidate for such and such job.... Until he is embedded so much at Oregon that it becomes a why bother. 

No one is saying Smart are Saban are on the market because they are so settled in their jobs that they aren't moving for anything.

Lanning is man of integrity, some say Alabama would be his dream job, but I tend to believe he wants to raise his family in Eugene and win a title.

If he can't win a title, or his family doesn't develop in the way he expects in the culture of Eugene then we may have to worry. I just don't believe he is talking about the next shiny thing as appealing.

Some say following Saban, or going to A@M would be an incredible challenge a truly competitive guy would want. It wouldn't be competition, it would be about the money for most of these positions, and that will be what we see, and probably failure again.

There have been two guys recently who moved on to their dream jobs from Oregon, both found out dreams aren't always what we expect. I think Lanning's dream job is where he is, he knows it and the dream is alive and well.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 11/12/2023 at 10:24 AM, Haywarduck said:

Some say following Saban, or going to A@M would be an incredible challenge a truly competitive guy would want. It wouldn't be competition, it would be about the money for most of these positions, and that will be what we see, and probably failure again.

Or a great folly... Following Saban at Bama will be a trap when that job opens up that only someone foolhardy enough would take. They'll have a good roster but be expected to win big right out the gate, they'll have a ticking clock on them as soon as they take that job. They'll also have to coach under the shadow of Saban and be constantly compared to Saban which is a losing scenario. 

The TAMU job would also be a nightmare. Sure they have good players.... In theory.  But they are a full on culture rebuild and therefore a roster rebuild. Easier to do today with the transfer portal. 

But to make that job even worse, they'll not be recruiting against Texas, which is pretty good again, in the same conference.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/12/2023 at 7:55 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

What?  They don't want Lincoln Riley??

It's not that, Riley is just SECared, that's why he bolted OK.

• Thumbs Up 3

Dan coached on championship teams at Bama and UGA.

Why would he want anything to do with the SEC pressure cooker with OREGON off to Power 2 B1G next season? If anything, DL's agent can use an A+M offer, if forthcoming, to leverage more money for his existing job.

The guy who makes the most sense for A+M is former DC at A+M, Duke HC Mike Elko. 

UNLV now tied atop the MW has not missed there for a second in LV, A+M OC Bobby Petrino.

A+M has never won the SEC W. The SEC W is going away but UGA, Bama, and LSU are not going away and Oklahoma and Texas, 2 schools A+M rarely defeated in the B12 are coming to town.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/12/2023 at 10:24 AM, Haywarduck said:

Lanning is man of integrity, some say Alabama would be his dream job, but I tend to believe he wants to raise his family in Eugene and win a title.

I hope so and agree.

According to my non-source (I think it was Groucho [JJ will know]) if nominated Lanning will not run/seek the job, and if offered/elected, he will not accept.

On 11/12/2023 at 12:37 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Why would he want anything to do with the SEC pressure cooker with OREGON off to Power 2 B1G next season? If anything, DL's agent can use an A+M offer, if forthcoming, to leverage more money for his existing job.

Oregon might do well to make DL a $10M/year head coach. He’s proved that he’s worthy and it’s the kind of thing great programs do to maintain stability.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

BTW, with Florida being destroyed by LSU and QB Jaydon Daniels, the first FBS player to throw for 350 yards and rush for 200 yards, Rivals 13 Florida, and 14 A+M (ESPN has UF 3 and A+M 9) are likely both ready to have 'commits' flipped. 

Something I am certain DL has his eyes on. And many A+M and UF players may be hitting the portal.

Why would DL want to have to re-recruit existing players and current 'commits.' And, have you been to College Station?

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Agree- don't fan the flames.  Focus on what's at hand.

• Thumbs Up 2

IMO and if it were me. I wouldn't say one way or the other. Why would I shut down conversation that only raises my brand?

You shut it down right away to prevent it from becoming a distraction to your current team, who is trying to win a conference championship and earn a spot in the playoffs. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I think Lanning will stay but we will need to increase his salary to make that happen. Texas A&M will pay a crazy amount of money for the right candidate. If Lanning is their main target, we will have to pay him $10 million a year and a long term contract to keep Lanning in Eugene. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Would Deion Sanders be a  candidate for A&M?  With ATM’s NIL, seems like he could kill it on the recruiting front, and he seems like he would relish the challenge. 

• Great post! 1

Extending some comments…why coach at TAM when you can just poach their best players in the portal!  

In all seriousness, IIRC, didn’t DL ask for the $20MM buyout clause?  If so (or at least spiritually accurate) that doesn’t sound like someone waiting to jump for the next shiny, high paid gig.  

The Ducks do need to crank his salary to that of a top 3 B1G coach (my logic is that you can make an argument the Ducks will be the third best team in the B1G next year, certainly not lower than sixth.  The margin in that range IMHO is super thin)

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/12/2023 at 10:24 AM, David Marsh said:

Going to be this way for years... This time every year is going to have Lanning as a top candidate for such and such job.... Until he is embedded so much at Oregon that it becomes a why bother. 

No one is saying Smart are Saban are on the market because they are so settled in their jobs that they aren't moving for anything.

Another reason no one is mentioning Smart and Sabin is because they are the two highest paid coaches in college football. Both are over $10 million a year. Lanning is 21st at $6.6 million this year.

The only way for Oregon to stop the yearly rumors is to offer Lanning an 8-10 year contract at $10 million a year. This is the type of contract that the top 10 coaches are getting. If that is too much money for Oregon then we will need to get use to this yearly annoyance.

Sheesh. Young kids. Great supportive spouse (I'm assuming) that apparently loves Eugene. Humble but driven HC building a culture in the great northwest with a possible CFP berth this year and a move to the B1G next year.

Currently getting paid a boatload of dinero with more likely to come. Appears to be a man of his word when he says Oregon is a destination. 

Best choice:  Lame Kitten

Already in SEC

Always been a coaching golddigger.

Divorced with attractive young (like 25, you dogs) GF that went to Ole Miss and now works at SMU

Two older HS aged kids that probably can't wait to bail on Oxford.

How much does he love living in M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I ?

No knock on that state, but he had the run of LA when he coached the Trojenz.

• Haha 1

On 11/12/2023 at 11:07 AM, OregonDucks said:

You shut it down right away to prevent it from becoming a distraction to your current team, who is trying to win a conference championship and earn a spot in the playoffs. 

And I'm sure he has already done so in his locker room... Or he will be doing so at the next team meeting.

Coaches may pretend not to read media coverage but they all do. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/12/2023 at 10:17 AM, SilverDuck said:

Unless it becomes a distraction for the team. He could, of course, address that internally within the team and not publicly. Hard to imagine sharing something that significant with 80-something college-age kids and expect them to keep it confidential, however.

We've been burned before by coach-speak about Oregon being a great place to be, then bolting as soon as something else comes along. It feels different with DL, and I want to believe it is different.  Time will tell.

He may address it privately with the team and they are pretty well schooled on what's for public consumption.  The internal media people at UO keep a good handle on things.

@OregonDucks I agree you shut it down ASAP.  I think the AD can make that super easy by him by giving him a raise and upping the buyout this week or early next.  

• Thumbs Up 2

New level of stupidity at A&M . . .

According to the terms of the contract, Texas A&M will owe Fisher $19.2 million within 60 days and then pay him $7.2 annually through 2031. There is no offset or mitigation on those payments, and the annual payments start 120 days after termination.

Which means when Mich State gives him a new 100 Mil deal, A&M still has to pay the remaining buyout.

I had thought (silly me) that after Charlie Weis was getting paid by 3 organizations, mitigation for future jobs was built into most contracts.

I guess Larry Scott's advisors were hired by A&M a few years ago.

• Haha 2

On 11/12/2023 at 11:45 AM, JB89 said:

Another reason no one is mentioning Smart and Sabin is because they are the two highest paid coaches in college football. Both are over $10 million a year. Lanning is 21st at $6.6 million this year.

The only way for Oregon to stop the yearly rumors is to offer Lanning an 8-10 year contract at $10 million a year. This is the type of contract that the top 10 coaches are getting. If that is too much money for Oregon then we will need to get use to this yearly annoyance.

I'm sure Texas could have found a way to get the money Saban wanted if he was a real option for them when they were doing any of their coaching searches this last decade. 

Saban doesn't have any interest in leaving the program he created and he is getting paid enough that he's not interested in leaving. 

I'm sure Lanning will get a pay bump at the end of this season if it turns out as we all hope with at least a conference championship. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Something to remember, Dan's chief of staff, Marshal Malchow came to UO from  aTm.  There's a reason he left, it's a toxic environment.

I'm hoping this is just media click bait, but it better not be a distraction... These next two games are crucial. We all know what happened when we started hearing rumors about Mario and the Miami head coaching job:   Ducks were destroyed twice by Utah and I blame most of that on the coach, he checked out mentally on the team, causing a morale problem amongst the players and it was reflected on the field. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/12/2023 at 12:06 PM, David Marsh said:

I'm sure Texas could have found a way to get the money Saban wanted if he was a real option for them when they were doing any of their coaching searches this last decade. 

Saban doesn't have any interest in leaving the program he created and he is getting paid enough that he's not interested in leaving. 

I'm sure Lanning will get a pay bump at the end of this season if it turns out as we all hope with at least a conference championship. 

Should Oregon wait until the end of the season? I would like to see Oregon open talks now. Lanning is a top 10 type coach. If we want to keep him it is time to pay him top 10 money. This would send a message to recruits and all of college football that Dan Lanning will be the coach at Oregon for a very long time. 

In case you already haven't tuned out Dennis Dodd at CBSsportsline, now would be a good time . . .

"Dan Lanning, Oregon coach: Texas A&M has to make a call, but because of the timing, it would likely be difficult to pry Lanning away from the Ducks. TAMU is a better job than Oregon"

On 11/12/2023 at 11:47 AM, David Marsh said:

And I'm sure he has already done so in his locker room... Or he will be doing so at the next team meeting.

Coaches may pretend not to read media coverage but they all do. 

But that doesn't stop the media from constantly talking and writing about it, and players will continue to see and hear it.  The screenshot that I posted above was from the front page of espn.com.  

Oregon does not need any distractions right now. 

Edited by OregonDucks

As others have said, "here we go again". Looking at what happened with Willie Taggart and Mario Cristobal, the grass is not always greener on the other side. IIRC, Taggart in an article that I read did express some regret at leaving Oregon as the support system was actually there to help a HC be successful, which he didn't appreciate at the time.

I was resisting the move at first, but now that Oregon is going to be in the B1G, I hope that would be an incentive among other things to remain at Oregon. Even Kalen DeBoer from "that school up north" has been announced as a possible candidate.

Here's hoping that DL decides to stay at Oregon and finish what he started.