Pennsylvania Duck

Coach Dan Lanning Named Among Leading Candidate for Texas A&M Job

I am sure Crepea will be more than happy to ask Dan about it tomorrow night at his presser.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/12/2023 at 2:56 PM, Steven A said:

In case you already haven't tuned out Dennis Dodd at CBSsportsline, now would be a good time . . .

"Dan Lanning, Oregon coach: Texas A&M has to make a call, but because of the timing, it would likely be difficult to pry Lanning away from the Ducks. TAMU is a better job than Oregon"

In all fairness to A&M, it’s a top 5 job in college football. Unlimited money, top notch facilities, fertile recruiting area, top conference, and most importantly….they’re starved for success. They’ll do anything to win.

The drawbacks to coaching there are obvious. They want immediate success, so their coach will always be standing on a trap door. Also, they’re currently getting burned by a fully guaranteed contract, so their new coach likely will have a 3 year window to win the SEC and National Championship. Oh, and if he doesn’t, he only gets a percentage of his contract after getting fired.

Lanning has everything he could possibly want right here especially a great calm lifestyle for his family. UO/ Uncle Phil will make sure to match any offer to leave he gets. Jonathan Smith leaving a sinking ship on the other hand....

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/12/2023 at 1:25 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

In all fairness to A&M, it’s a top 5 job in college football. Unlimited money, top notch facilities, fertile recruiting area, top conference, and most importantly….they’re starved for success. They’ll do anything to win.

Texas A&M may not even be a top 5 job in the new SEC.  I would put Alabama, Georgia, Texas, and Oklahoma ahead of Texas A&M.  You could argue that LSU and Florida are more attractive destinations.

Nationally, I would also put Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Clemson and USC above Texas A&M. I wouldn't even put Texas A&M in the top 10 college football jobs. 

Texas A&M hasn't won a conference championship since 1998!!!

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On a previous list just posted, if aTm wants an almost sure guarantee that they'll be in CFP contention and possibly win a natty in the shortest period of time, Urban Meyer is probably the man for the job.

Questionable character, but the guy can coach - at least at the college level.

On 11/12/2023 at 8:05 AM, Desert Duck said:

The only part of this story that catches my attention is the $78 million that they're going to pay Jimbo to hit the bricks. 

Oil money. They’ll get that out of the change jar…….and have plenty left to pay Oregon the $20 million exit fee.

On 11/12/2023 at 3:36 PM, OregonDucks said:

Texas A&M may not even be a top 5 job in the new SEC.  I would put Alabama, Georgia, Texas, and Oklahoma ahead of Texas A&M.  You could argue that LSU and Florida are more attractive destinations.

Nationally, I would also put Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Clemson and USC above Texas A&M. I wouldn't even put Texas A&M in the top 10 college football jobs. 

Texas A&M hasn't won a conference championship since 1998!!!

Disagree. Every team you mentioned has to come into their backyard to recruit effectively. If Lanning was in College Station he and Sark would lock Texas down. The only thing holding the Aggie football program back is their management. 

I read The Athletic's comment boards so you don't have to.

Basically, TAM fans think they can get Lanning because 'oil money' can buy and sell Oregon at will.  They will pay whatever money is needed to get their guy.  I'm sure that last statement is entirely accurate.

What they fail to mention is that money comes with huge strings in the form of boosters who think their money has bought them a seat at the table when deciding how to run your program.

I don't know how many coaches would be willing to deal with that type of setup.  Someone will take TAM's money but not sure DL is wired that way (nor Jonathan Smith for that matter).

Edited by CalBear95
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 10:39 AM, Steven A said:

I hope so and agree.

According to my non-source (I think it was Groucho [JJ will know]) if nominated Lanning will not run/seek the job, and if offered/elected, he will not accept.

Wasn’t that LBJ?

On 11/12/2023 at 12:09 PM, Desert Duck said:

I'm not concerned about Lanning and A&M. If it was Alabama, then I'd just say, "Good night, Martha." And that day might come sooner than any of us want. 

However, if you know much about A&M, or College Station TX, you know that they have everything you're talking about in spades, and tremendous tradition to go with it. 

Well, in all fairness... they also get 100° temps with 98% humidity -- which is the worst.

Well in all fairness....weather not even close.....it's horrible there.......my son who lives in Dallas was married in Austin in September.....,.the entire wedding party was soaked an hour into the ceremony.....and the heat runs from April to October....... .they won 3 NC.....the last one in 1939.......84 years ago.......one big 12 championship to their credit.....yes they have cash.....so does Oregon.......oil money is there but Knight is the 25th richest in the world......facilities......seriously.......the Oregon facilities are the top dog.....granted A&M is maybe second.......as for the grand SEC.......the BIG is roughly equal to the SEC.....but with the west coast going BIG.....I'am not sure that is true any longer.....oh the sec is putting on Oklahoma....so what.  

• Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 1:25 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Unlimited money, top notch facilities, fertile recruiting area, top conference,

Sounds like the Ducks, our fertile area is USA, USA, USA

• Go Ducks! 1

I think this rumor has given Duck fans a little ptsd flare up. Understandable after WT and MC debacle. This is going to get boring pretty quick imo.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 11/12/2023 at 1:59 PM, DUCKED said:

Wasn’t that LBJ?

Correct.  

On 11/12/2023 at 4:18 PM, Steven A said:

Sounds like the Ducks, our fertile area is USA, USA, USA

True. However, we have to travel to the fertile areas.

When coach was hired didn’t DL’s brother vouch for his integrity, and his long term commitment to the progrum?

I am not concerned about vapid speculation; DL is a smart man who has everything he needs here. For a guy like DL elevating a program form good to great would be an appealing challenge.

aTm is both the train wreck and the stockyard of college football programs. Only a total douche would take that job.

Dan is no douche. 

Why go to TAM? They haven’t been consistently good since RC Slocum. He’s got things rolling at Oregon and could be positioned to be a CFP contender York years, plus massive buyout.

I personally like Kiffin to A&M. He and Sark worked under two of the best head coaches in recent history. They’re great recruiters and offensive minded. The Aggies haven’t had a decent offense in 10 years.

On 11/12/2023 at 11:24 AM, Haywarduck said:

Lanning is man of integrity...

So were Cristobal & Taggert... until they weren't.  

But Lanning is not leaving Oregon for A&M.

On 11/12/2023 at 2:50 PM, Desert Duck said:

So were Cristobal & Taggert... until they weren't.  

How dare you compare Lanning to that bunch!!!

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/12/2023 at 3:59 PM, OregonDucks said:

How dare you comparing Lanning to that bunch!!!

Actually... my apologies for that. Almost nobody deserves to have their names mentional along with those two other guys. 

• Salute 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/12/2023 at 7:43 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Fisher, who is 45-25 in his six seasons at College Station, is expected to be let go this weekend, with the Aggies buying out his full $78 million contract and eating the loss.

1736069043.jpg?w=640

Crime-i-ninny. This translates to a 65% winning percentage.  Their next coach had better think this one over carefully.  This also translates to about 10 wins per 15 outings, just about what a team will be playing if they get into the post-season.  Dan, please stay put!

On 11/12/2023 at 2:25 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

The drawbacks to coaching there are obvious. They want immediate success, so their coach will always be standing on a trap door. Also, they’re currently getting burned by a fully guaranteed contract, so their new coach likely will have a 3 year window to win the SEC and National Championship. Oh, and if he doesn’t, he only gets a percentage of his contract after getting fired.

Sounds like the ideal situation for Lane Kiffin.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/12/2023 at 10:40 AM, Log Haulin said:

Why would I shut down conversation that only raises my brand? 

Because of the distraction it could/would cause to your team that's trying to make the playoffs, and the negative impact that allowing your name to linger out there would have on recruiting. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/12/2023 at 3:14 PM, Desert Duck said:

Because of the distraction it could/would cause to your team that's trying to make the playoffs, and the negative impact that allowing your name to linger out there would have on recruiting. 

Bingo!  Have we already forgotten what happened to Oregon's recruiting AND morale when Mario was in the process of being poached by Miami?  

Heck, he even took some of our players and recruits with him, didn't he?

Edited by Mic
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/12/2023 at 2:44 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I personally like Kiffin to A&M. He and Sark worked under two of the best head coaches in recent history. They’re great recruiters and offensive minded. The Aggies haven’t had a decent offense in 10 years.

Is TAMU that much better of a job than Ole Miss? Considering Kiffin has again built something and it's still a work in progress but it's not certainly rebuild status. 

Whereas TAMU is a full rebuild for whoever takes over. Not entirely from a talent standpoint but certainly a culture standpoint. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/12/2023 at 3:43 PM, Mic said:

Bingo!  Have we already forgotten what happened to Oregon's recruiting when Mario was in the process of being poached by Miami?  

Miami was the ONLY program Mario was leaving Oregon for... 

I don't see TAMU at that status of dream job for Oregon. 

Also .. I'd like to note that Miami came up before in 2018 and MC turned it down at that point. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Hopefully, the powers that be at Oregon have been on the phone with Dan's agent throughout the day and are nailing down his new contract and money as we speak.

It's unlikely to me that Oregon would not have anticipated this kind of activity, and already have had a plan in place to address it. 

We had a bunch of key recruits at the game yesterday. Which is exactly why we need to immediately drive a wooden stake through the heart of this A&M garbage, instantly followed by Lanning releasing a public statement regarding him staying at Oregon until the cows come home. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/12/2023 at 3:54 PM, David Marsh said:

Also .. I'd like to note that Miami came up before in 2018 and MC turned it down at that point. 

Fair enough.  I also remember what happened to team morale and some of our players when he did leave.  Can you imagine what would happen to this team if Dan let his name stay out there?  

On 11/12/2023 at 4:03 PM, Mic said:

Fair enough.  I also remember what happened to team morale and some of our players when he did leave.  Can you imagine what would happen to this team if Dan let his name stay out there?  

I think if he doesn't shut it down if asked a direct question, which he'll probably get tomorrow during his weekly press conference, it could be a problem. 

At this point I'm sure he's already shut it down internally with his team during the Sunday meetings. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/12/2023 at 4:17 PM, David Marsh said:

I think if he doesn't shut it down if asked a direct question, which he'll probably get tomorrow during his weekly press conference, it could be a problem. 

At this point I'm sure he's already shut it down internally with his team during the Sunday meetings. 

Well, I'm pretty selfish in this regard, I admit.  I certainly hope you're right.  That said, IF Dan were to accept another position somewhere, I'd still respect him (and miss him) a heck of a lot more than WT & MC both put together.

Onward to better thoughts: ASU may offer O a bit more of a challenge being on a bit of a roll themselves, next week. Whatever's in the works, I expect Oregon to be focused on that game if Dan has anything to say about it, which he does.

Let's say the worst does happen and DL bolts for aTm. Maybe promote Will Stein to HC if he doesn't follow Lanning? Offer Tosh Lupoi a better contract to entice him to stay? I think I'm done with the "hiring outside" thing lol.

Edited by OceaniaDuck

On 11/12/2023 at 3:14 PM, Desert Duck said:

I disagree, he can address his team and put them at ease. He took a job at Oregon then turned around and led UGA to a national championship. He did just fine keeping his Dawgs D focused. 

This will be done long before the early signing period. Recruiting won't be affected unless he took the aTm job.

If I am Dan, I use this as an opportunity to secure generational wealth for my family. His first obligation is to his family. And thats exactly what he should do 

On 11/12/2023 at 4:41 PM, OceaniaDuck said:

Let's say the worst does happen and DL bolts for aTm. Maybe promote Will Stein to HC if he doesn't follow Lanning? Offer Tosh Lupoi a better contract to entice him to stay? I think I'm done with the "hiring outside" thing lol.

Why not go and hire Jonathan Smith?  I'm sure our friends in Corvallis wouldn't mind...

• Haha 2
  • Great post! 2

On 11/13/2023 at 11:04 AM, OregonDucks said:

Why not go and hire Jonathan Smith?  I'm sure our friends in Corvallis wouldn't mind...

Lol! I hate to think that up to now, the U of O is probably still viewed as a "stepping stone" program.

Yes, we were never considered a blue-blood either, but I guess there are no guarantees anymore as to whether we will see the kind of coaching stability/passing of the torch the U of O had starting with Rich Brooks and ending with Marc Helfrich's firing.

I guess the motto of the day now is to enjoy the ride while you still can.

I just can't see this happening, it just doesn't fit his character.  He was pretty specific about why he picked Oregon, what the potential was here, and what his goals were.  He has everything going for him.  Great staff, recruiting extremely well, program heading in the direction he wants, and an awesome fan base.  He's paid well, and I just don't see hie integrity allowing him to leave in less than two years with his goals here in reach.

Unlike Slick Willie and Mari-no-O, he wouldn't be returning to his alma mater or even a place he's coached before.  Why would he leave a relatively calm environment to go to a pressure cooker job at a school that is a lateral move at best.  He's paid well, and if needed, would be paid even more.  Again, this potential move just doesn't fit his character to me.  He just seems more honorable than that, and I don't see him leaving 25 new recruits in the wind.

I think they should rip off the Fuskies coach.  That would be a meltdown to see.

Edited by 47sgs
  • Go Ducks! 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/12/2023 at 3:07 PM, Mic said:

This translates to a 65% winning percentage.

56% for league games.

Overall, about $2mil per win.

On the bright side, 0 for losses if you only pay for wins.

On 11/13/2023 at 11:18 AM, 47sgs said:

I just can't see this happening, it just doesn't fit his character.  He was pretty specific about why he picked Oregon, what the potential was here, and what his goals were.  He has everything going for him.  Great staff, recruiting extremely well, program heading in the direction he wants, and an awesome fan base.  He's paid well, and I just don't see hie integrity allowing him to leave in less than two years with his goals here in reach.

Unlike Slick Willie and Mari-no-O, he wouldn't be returning to his alma mater or even a place he's coached before.  Why would he leave a relatively calm environment to go to a pressure cooker job at a school that is a lateral move at best.  He's paid well, and if needed, would be paid even more.  Again, this potential move just doesn't fit his character to me.  He just seems more honorable than that, and I don't see him leaving 25 new recruits in the wind.

I think they should rip off the Fuskies coach.  That would be a meltdown to see.

I guess to paraphrase a quote by a famous boxer:

Everybody has a plan, until they get a lot of $$$ shoved in their face

Lol!

On a more serious note though, I do think DL is more conscientious than the other two previous HC we had and if anything, would ponder over the pros and cons of leaving more than the other two did. I really hope DL decides to stay if offered the HC position at aTm.

Edited by OceaniaDuck

Didn't we lose a recruiting battle for a 5-star last year to ATM? DJ Hicks, I think. 

How likely are we to get him in the transfer portal? 

• Thumbs Up 2

I find it interesting that neither Canzano or Crepea have weighed in on this yet.  As I said in a previous post I will not be surprised if Crepea asks Dan at his presser tomorrow night.

This is an interesting take that should make everyone feel a little better.

• Go Ducks! 1

Behind a pay wall, John Canzano posted  his weekly mailbag10 mins ago and yes, the big questions were about Dan and TAMU. John said he does not  think Dan is going anywhere.   He commented that he thinks Dan has clearly seen what has transpired with his predecessors who left.  He also said he believes Dan realizes he is sitting in one of the best jobs in college football and wants stability for his family.

John also said he thinks Dan will address it tonight in his presser.

On 11/13/2023 at 1:57 PM, Augduck said:

Behind a pay wall, John Canzano posted  his weekly mailbag10 mins ago and yes, the big questions were about Dan and TAMU. John said he does not  think Dan is going anywhere.   He commented that he thinks Dan has clearly seen what has transpired with his predecessors who left.  He also said he believes Dan realizes he is sitting in one of the best jobs in college football and wants stability for his family.

John also said he thinks Dan will address it tonight in his presser.

Yes. But, John also thought the Pac-12 would stay together.

• Haha 2

What time is his damn weekly conference?  Geez

He needs to end this asap

• Thumbs Up 1