SmithRiverDuck

Bo's Gonna Play!

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Ducks quarterback Bo Nix has announced that he will play one last game for the Ducks, suiting up for the Fiesta Bowl vs. Liberty.

Good for him. I'd want the last film of my college career to be a good one too!

• Yikes! 1
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 6

Gotta love Bo! That's character, doing what's best for the program instead of what's best for himself.

Thanks for the memories Bo, I'll be pulling for you wherever you wind up in the future. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Wow, thats a huge risk. Not sure he is thinking this one through. I hope his wife, coach and parents talk some sense into him. I don't see any benifit to Nix playing this game.

• Thumbs Up 3

Awesome. Hopefully Bo playing will encourage other Duck players who were thinking of sitting out to suit up as well. 

• Let’s hope! 1

On 12/3/2023 at 4:11 PM, noDucknewby said:

Gotta love Bo! That's character, doing what's best for the program instead of what's best for himself.

Thanks for the memories Bo, I'll be pulling for you wherever you wind up in the future. 

That's amazing and, while I'm so impressed with him for making this decision, I'm stunned as well. But Bo's a smart guy, so...

I'd bet a certain Duck donor, or perhaps a bunch of Duck donors, wrote one big mutha of a premium check to a Lloyd's of London for one massive insurance policy on Bo's behalf. 

But regardless, I'm really glad to see that he's going to play. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I cannot convey my relief.  Hopefully he will inspire the others to join him!

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

This is the Bo we know all too well.  The de-facto team leader and hyper competitive gamer!  Frankly, I would have thought it would've been a bit out of character if he decided to skip the bowl game.  Most likely the way the Pac12 season ended really sticks in his craw and he wants to go out on a high note.  In this situation, no better place to do that than a NY6 bowl game on national TV!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Maybe there is something more important than squeezing every last dollar of everything you can. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 12/3/2023 at 3:26 PM, jrw said:

Maybe there is something more important than squeezing every last dollar of out someone or something.

Exactly!  He's not a spoiled, arrogant Caleb Williams or Shedeur Sanders.  Bo loves football, period.  This is just the latest example.

• Applause 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

THAT is my quarterback!

I guess this will be the last HALF of college ball we see him play.

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

I hope his decision and example is followed by the rest of those who will move on next year.   They should play this c game for each other and to close out a magical season with a WIN!

I don’t see any more risk to Bo or any of the others playing this game than any other game.  The stakes are certainly higher than they were with Portland State and Hawaii.

I hope Lanning is clear sighted enough to give Bo zero snaps in this bowl game. 

• Go Ducks! 1

Let's be real:  There is no REPLACING Bo.  Guys like him are hard to find and I'm not sure when we will see the next one.

The next QB the ducks bring in will have to realize winning is big, but character is "biggerer". (Charles, that was intentional misuse of grammar)

What I have seen is that DL is fostering a culture where character and integrity matter.  Cam Ward, you paying attention?

Thanks Bo, for one last Duck game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Liberty is going to come out with their hair on fire. This is the biggest game in Liberty history. They will be looking to hit anyone and everyone in their way. They will bring juice, violence and aggression. This game means everything to Liberty.

Flip the coin, this game has zero impact on the Ducks season. Win or lose Ducks gain nothing. I don't see how risking millions to a possible career ending injury in a game that means little is a smart decision. 

I see I am standing alone on this. Thats ok. I hope Bo escapes this unscathed and goes into the NFL a high 1st round pick. I have seen enough of Bo and it has been a blast. I don't need to see "one more for the team" when the risk/reward doesn't balance out.

• Thumbs Up 2

Great way to go out. One last time to thank him for helping to rebuild Oregon offensive football.

Thank you DL, thank you coach Stein, be better next year, thank you coach Dillingham.

Now lets set out sights on the field of 12.

Oh my Good Gosh, beat Washington next year.

Please. It was a tough Southwest ride back to Sacramento yesterday.

Agree with Log Haulin, one or two series and then take a seat.

There is no potential upside for him to play, I don't get it. 

On 12/3/2023 at 4:04 PM, Log Haulin said:

Liberty is going to come out with their hair on fire. This is the biggest game in Liberty history. They will be looking to hit anyone and everyone in their way. They will bring juice, violence and aggression. This game means everything to Liberty.

Flip the coin, this game has zero impact on the Ducks season. Win or lose Ducks gain nothing. I don't see how risking millions to a possible career ending injury in a game that means little is a smart decision. 

I see I am standing alone on this. Thats ok. I hope Bo escapes this unscathed and goes into the NFL a high 1st round pick. I have seen enough of Bo and it has been a blast. I don't need to see "one more for the team" when the risk/reward doesn't balance out.

I see where you're coming from.  But my sense is that Bo's pride and self-respect won't allow him to go out on a bad note, even with NFL dollars on the line.  He just loves football that much, which I commend him for.

P.S. I will also surmise that he's talked to and gotten support from his wife on this...which tells me that he has married well 🙂

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I see I am standing alone on this.

I hear you and respect your take.

NFL bound players skipping bowl games is mostly a recent phenomenon. Back in the day it was much less common, and kids would get grief for doing it. Now it's become common place and accepted.

Bo mentioned post game that he was looking forward to the flight home from Vegas, just to have one more with this team. Dude loves college football and his team, and knows that there is no going back once it's over. He's living his way.

At least once in the cinematic recaps he can be heard telling teammates to take in the sights and sounds and cherish the experience. He seemed to really enjoy and appreciate the ride, and now he wants to experience one last collegiate game. I respect that.

But, I wouldn't fault him for skipping either. I'm sure he'll have some good insurance in place...

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/3/2023 at 4:16 PM, bbmichaels said:

Bo mentioned post game that he was looking forward to the flight home from Vegas, just to have one more with this team. Dude loves college football and his team, and knows that there is no going back once it's over. He's living his way.

At least once in the cinematic recaps he can be heard telling teammates to take in the sights and sounds and cherish the experience. He seemed to really enjoy and appreciate the ride, and now he wants to experience one last collegiate game. I respect that.

This is a great insight on Bo. I respect Bo's decision from this view point. I still think the risk is too high but I am not the one at risk. If I was Lanning, I would bench Bo and let him call plays from the sideline. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It will be fun to watch Bo one last time.   He just simply wants to play. He's been pretty amazing in every game in that he thinks so quickly and releases the ball so fast that he is rarely hit or sacked.  As long as he doesn't run the ball much, he's almost never on the ground.  With a good insurance policy, and him using common  sense, hopefully he'll be fine.  Unlike a lot of players, Bo has such a coaches and leader mentality that  I think he will always have a football future whether he's an NFL QB or not.

Edited by 47sgs
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/3/2023 at 4:27 PM, Log Haulin said:

This is a great insight on Bo. I respect Bo's decision from this view point. I still think the risk is too high but I am not the one at risk. If I was Lanning, I would bench Bo and let him call plays from the sideline. 

I think DL respects Bo enough to let him make his own decisions and not force him towards any particular way.  He's very much an ultra-competitive gamer like Bo so I just don't see a benching happening.

On 12/3/2023 at 4:52 PM, Steven A said:

I guess this will be the last HALF of college ball we see him play.

I hear ya and I hope you are right... but after Washington, I'm going to be a bit more humble and let the Duck's play on the field do most of the talking. 

• Like 1

Man, Bo is so high-character and a man of such integrity that I really hope he reunites with DL after his NFL days to be our offensive coordinator. How incredible would that be?

• Go Ducks! 1

On 12/3/2023 at 5:27 PM, Log Haulin said:

I am highly confident that there is no way that this smart young man is playing without a huge safety net under him, in the form of an extremely large insurance policy, paid for by donors.

And I am really excited that he is going to play.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon's O line should have no prob with a Conference USA team undefeated or not.

• Thumbs Up 3

Surely Bo walks the walk when it comes to loving his teammates.  He wants to be with them.  But I think there are two other points worth considering.

The one thing that has continuously followed Bo is his drive to compete ... and excel.  He voiced understandable disappointment in the outcome of the mutt game, but also in his own performance as well.  I would suggest that being the competitor that he is, he wants to go out with a win AND his best stuff.

Also, as mentioned above, there is no doubt (!) that an insurance policy will be in place that will, in case of a debilitating injury, provide him and his family with an equivalent amount of wealth that would be earned playing in The League.

I am so very grateful that Bo decided to come to Oregon.  He certainly has set a high bar and great example for all players coming to OBD

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I respect Bo’s decision while I also think it’s ill-advised.

I will take 1 Bo Nix over 10 Caleb Williams any day of the week! CW is self-absorbed and exudes arrogance while Bo exudes humility and leadership. If I am drafting an NFL QB I would take Bo over Caleb in a heartbeat. I am not saying CW is stupid, but I'll bet the house that Bo is far more analytical in his decisions on the field. CW is improvising on the fly because of his athleticism while Bo saw everything that was going to happen before the snap, kind of like Peyton Manning.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bo on the sidelines in Autzen Stadium in the next 10 years. Hopefully, it will be for OBD! Thanks for the memories Bo, except when you beat Herbert!

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, the game would be more meaningful to me as a fan if run by coach Lanning as a competitive scrimmage for next year’s crop. Bo (and anyone else trying out this year for the league) should step aside and give TT a chance to show his stuff in a big game with next year’s first stringers. 

Edited by AlaskaDuck
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Alaska,

You should never underestimate an opponent, but if this game goes as it should, Bo will be out by halftime if not before. I want to see them put up a Hundo spot!

On 12/3/2023 at 5:56 PM, AlaskaDuck said:

Honestly, the game would be more meaningful to me as a fan if run by coach Lanning as a competitive scrimmage for next year’s crop. Bo (and anyone else trying out this year for the league) should step aside and give TT a chance to show his stuff in a big game with next year’s first stringers. 

I guess they have zero interest for TT next season

On 12/3/2023 at 6:19 PM, VegasDuck said:

I guess they have zero interest for TT next season

Sure they do.  He (hopefully) will get a full second half to run the offense.  Seems ideal to me...

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/3/2023 at 5:56 PM, AlaskaDuck said:

Theoretically the game should be over by halftime.  That means TT and maybe even Austin Novasad will get the entire 2nd half to run the 1st/2nd string offense.

DL is probably looking at the portal, but this should be the moment to give Ty the chance to practice and run with the ones ….

Bo did say he has never played in a New Year's Day bowl before!

• Cool 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Bo's decision to play is totally within character.  Sure, other players make different decisions and that is totally fine.  (Some of you on this board would make a different decision.).  But he loves football, loves Oregon and loves his teammates.   I think he made his decision based on those feelings----and based on the code that he lives by.

Don't forget, Bo is really intelligent.  3.9 GPA, got his degree magna cum laude from Auburn.  He knows the risks, he also knows himself; good for him that he does.

• Thumbs Up 5

Glad you're willing to be the rock of Gibraltar on the stormiest of nights.  While I don't stand with you, I share your sentiment.  My first thought was he'll barely get touched, but man that's a risk. 

I hope the gameplan is score 28 by half, and the swan song blares into halftime.

Certainly the subs will want to put their signature on the win as well.  You get what you think about my friend.  So let's think good tidings and play to win, not to avoid injury.

All should be well.

Time to make 2024's opening statement with some of 24's crew.  With a little help from their friends.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why risk an injury?  Remember that Jordan Travis of Florida State broke his leg against little North Alabama U.   Football is football no matter who you play.