DrJacksPlaidPants

Ty Thompson Enters Transfer Portal

We all expected it. Good luck to Ty.

IMG_3066.jpeg

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

After Gabriel committed I think we all expected this. I wish him well and hope he lands at a good place where he can finally get some playing time.

• Thumbs Up 4

I’m sure Mario will take a run at him. I would also expect DeBoer to consider him.

No surprise. Best of luck to Ty.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/9/2023 at 11:57 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I’m sure Mario will take a run at him. I would also expect DeBoer to consider him.

That would really be a kick in your plaid pants to have Ty Thompson start for the Huskies and beat us in Autzen!

• Oh no! 1
  • Yikes! 2
  • Haha 3

Ty needs to run as far away from Mario as possible. That said, I hope Ty finds a solid team and a starting roll. Dude got shafted in my opinion. I will root for the Ducks and Ty Thompson to dominate next year. 

Good luck to you young man. Hope you put second thoughts in Lanning head next year

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

2 questions for my more knowledgeable fans of OBD?

Does this mean Austin Novosad is QB2 for the Fiesta Bowl?

Would Dillon Gabriel be able to suit up or is he just available next year?

In theory, even though he is in the portal, Ty could play in the Fiesta Bowl. Utah QB Barnes is in the portal and will play for Utah in the Las Vegas Bowl.

Gabriel is not eligible to play in the 2024 Fiesta Bowl, 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I was shocked he didn’t go last year. In reality he got to learn under 2 pretty good offensive coordinators so if he didn’t learn from it then it wasn’t meant to be. 

Wish him luck wherever he beads up minus a few places.🥴

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know why we'd play TT in the Fiesta bowl if we know he's transferring.  Give Novasad any backup snaps since it looks like he'll be our number 2 next year.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Good luck young man.  You've earned my respect by how you've handled yourself while with the Ducks!

Hope you go shine somewhere!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

Sad to see this but totally understandable. Hope he lands at a program that is willing to take a chance and make him the starting QB.

• Thumbs Up 2

There's little college north of us that could use him.

Will be rooting for the guy, wherever he lands. Class act all the way, and whoever lands him will have better program because of it!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I wish Ty Thompson nothing but the best. He has been a class act and represented Oregon well. I hope that he goes somewhere that he can start right away and shows everyone what he can do. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Ty will have great success wherever he ends up. He just didn't get the reps needed at UO.

There it is. All the best to that young man. I'm optimistic that he will be a winner wherever he goes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sports is not nice. It’s about winning and losing: games, roles, positions. 

If Thompson lost out in the eyes of the coaches who have been watching him for three years, that’s harsh, but part of the cruelty of sports. 

i truly wish him all the best somewhere else,  and see zero evidence that he got shafted or was treated unfairly in Eugene. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

I played Quarterback in high school and so I feel like I have some feel for the position.  There is an "it" factor to being a quarterback and I don't think Ty has it.  He may prove all of us doubters wrong but I will be very surprised if he excels in college.  I remember when both Marcus and Justin were either redshirting or on the bench,  You would still hear from players that something amazing was coming up the pipeline.  You never (at least I didn't) hear that about Ty even though he was here for 3 years.

I do appreciate his hanging in there and like so many others I can easily root for him and hope he proves me wrong.  Seems like a quality young man.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 12/9/2023 at 4:48 PM, Ben H said:

I played Quarterback in high school and so I feel like I have some feel for the position.  There is an "it" factor to being a quarterback and I don't think Ty has it.  He may prove all of us doubters wrong but I will be very surprised if he excels in college.  I remember when both Marcus and Justin were either redshirting or on the bench,  You would still hear from players that something amazing was coming up the pipeline.  You never (at least I didn't) hear that about Ty even though he was here for 3 years.

I do appreciate his hanging in there and like so many others I can easily root for him and hope he proves me wrong.  Seems like a quality young man.

I think Charles said it before. If somebody is going to be great then their greatness shows early.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

In the olden days, when a player committed to a school you could pretty much count on them remaining there for their full college career. Similarly, schools were committed to developing their players, and young back ups who, more often then not, became starters as they matured. It was the world of college football that many of us understood and loved.

That has all changed with transfer portals and no holds barred NIL money. It now makes sense for elite players to consider their college options given that NIL money rivals what they might expect to earn in the NFL. It also makes sense for coaches, feeling the tremendous pressure to win and supported by wealthy donors, to instantly fortify their teams with game proven talent, regardless of who has been patiently waiting for his turn. 

You could say Ty Thompson was shafted because the loyalty and patience he afforded to his team was not extended to him. As jrw said above, sports are not nice. Lanning’s job is to utilize all of the resources at his disposal to field the best team he can assemble. Patience and loyalty don’t always figure into the “win now” equation. It’s the way of the brave, new “what have you done lately” world. 

Although Ty Thompson’s patience and loyalty to Oregon’s football team didn’t pan out for him, I appreciate and respect what it demonstrated about the kind of person he is. His character most definitely earns 5 stars. I truly hope he goes on to find a team where he fits and where he gets to shine.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

Truly wish Ty the best. Great character.

But when 2 different well respected coaching staffs just decide you are not the guy for what is needed at this level, that is the opinion I trust most.  Can’t possibly see him as a B1G starter for any contender. 

Edited by AllOregon
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I wish him well and future success.  5 stars don't earn playing time, Coaches know best.  Hope he develops at the next stop and plays well

• Thumbs Up 1

Greatness shows early. 

Maybe so. But is development the same as greatness?

Did Tom Brady show greatness early?

Our Beloved Marcus redshirted. Was a 2☆ qb.

Dillon Gabriel was a 3☆, rated 9th best in Hawaii, 247th in nation.

But he got a chance to play. He started at UCF before transfer to OK.

He developed. 

We all have no idea, zero, about Ty. He never got an opportunity to play and develop. What little we saw suggests potential, so I hope he gets his chance.

Gabriel has 1 year left. As  Duck fan, I hope he does well. But I don't like this 'hired gun' mentality. How do we look high-school recruits in the face and tell them 'come to Oregon, get developed '

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/9/2023 at 3:24 PM, DanLduck said:

Our Beloved Marcus redshirted. Was a 2☆ qb.

No, he was a 3-Star, and EVERYBODY on the team knew what Marcus was as he redshirted in 2011, as Oregon had a fantastic team, and a proven starter in Darron Thomas who took us to the 'Natty the year before in 2010.

But Mariota's first Spring Game in 2012?  REMEMBER when he exploded?  That was not development, that was GREATNESS epitomized as a raw freshman, who then led the team and MM's presence forced Darron to declare for the draft.

Please do not mistake being overlooked in the recruiting rankings a decade ago as not having uber-talent to begin with as Marcus did.

Ditto with Herbert.  Overlooked in the recruiting process, and came in and took the job his freshman year.  He was great from the beginning.

I am not denying that development takes place with QBs, but often you know early-on what the deal is.  We actually Johnny Manziel and Marcus here at the same time in recruiting trips, and when Manziel heard that Marcus was coming here? 

Johnny wasn't.

N.RIVALS.COM

Marcus Mariota - 3 Star Dual threat quarterback for Oregon on DuckSportsAuthority

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I found this article from seven years ago, where our Grizzled Ol' Coach told me at a spring scrimmage that Justin Herbert would Oregon's next First Round Draft pick.  That article below was ridiculed, and people were laughing at the coach and I.  Justin Hopkins of 247 Sports then, ScoopDuck now said of the article, "that is just plain silly."

Greatness and Weakness Emerge Early, Baby

FISHDUCK.COM

The Grizzled Ol’ Coach, Gageac, and FishDuck combine to offer thoughts about the players of the 2016 Oregon football team for FishDuck.com.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I just hope that the Ducks' ability to recruit QB's is not damaged down the road.

Just concerned that in the future, good QB's coming out of high school may have second thoughts about coming to Oregon as they will probably think they'll just be riding the bench anyways in favor of someone coming in through the TP and thus will hardly get a chance to start, if ever.

It's a Catch-22 situation, balancing decisions between the "win now" mantra vs possibly going through some seasons with maybe 3-4 losses while the QB develops. Probably the last QB we had that was developed by Oregon was Marcus Mariota.

On 12/9/2023 at 5:19 PM, OceaniaDuck said:

Probably the last QB we had that was developed by Oregon was Marcus Mariota

I am would throw Justin Herbert into that mix also.  Between Mariota and Herbert, we had Vernon Adams who was developed elsewhere and the Dakota Prukop experiment that paved the way for Herbert.

Herbert started as QB2 behind Prukop but then was thrown into it as a freshman.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2023 at 11:26 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

I am would throw Justin Herbert into that mix also.  Between Mariota and Herbert, we had Vernon Adams who was developed elsewhere and the Dakota Prukop experiment that paved the way for Herbert.

Herbert started as QB2 behind Prukop but then was thrown into it as a freshman.

Oh yes - thanks for correcting my post! How could I have forgotten about Herbert lol!

IMO, this QB portal business may become a self correcting problem, to some extent.

Right now, we are in the tail end of a unique set of circumstances, partially created by covid, and the unique addition of eligibility extensions, as well as the wide open regulations associated with the unlimited free agency for student athletes, which temporarily allowed multiple transfers, in some cases, during the same year/cycle.

It's a shifting landscape, but the likelihood of having multiple uber-experienced quarterbacks (and other positions) available may soon wind down.

• Thumbs Up 1

High school QB recruits since Marcus (11 classes)

Jake Rodriguez

Jeff Lockie

Damion Hobbs

Morgan Mahalak

Travis Jonsen

Kristen Wallace

Terry Wilson

Justin Herbert

Braxton Burmeister

Tyler Shough

Cale Millen

Jay Butterfield

Robby Ashford

Ty Thompson

With the exception of Herbert, "finding and developing" high school QBs hasn't really been too successful in quite some time (and the Herbert story generally has him pretty much coming to the UO ready to play at a high level).

If the coaches and staff are able to hit on 2/3 or 3/4 portal or graduate transfer QBs, the numbers/history (since 2011) sort of suggests it's a no brainer.

• Thumbs Up 4

Ty has had 3 O-coordinators:  Moorhead, Dillingham and Stein.  They had a couple pretty good starters ahead of Ty, but for some reason(s) didn't take much opportunity to get him playing time.  Why?  Performance in practice?  Performance in the video analysis room?  Recognition of defensive alignments at the college level?

Someone elsewhere suggested the analysis of Ty as a recruit was limited by COVID restrictions in 2020 high school season.  But, he was offered and accepted based on 2019 season and committed Spring of 2020 before his senior year.

It is concerning his "growth curve" has been pretty flat.  I remember a coach (Bellotti maybe?) who talked about "players who peak as freshmen and don't advance.  A guy is all-world coming from high school, but college is a whole 'nother deal."   Obviously three O-coords have been skeptical.  That being said, he appears to have enough raw physical ability that he would be able to find a spot somewhere IF he is leaving.

On 12/9/2023 at 5:19 PM, OceaniaDuck said:

I just hope that the Ducks' ability to recruit QB's is not damaged down the road.

Just concerned that in the future, good QB's coming out of high school may have second thoughts about coming to Oregon as they will probably think they'll just be riding the bench anyways in favor of someone coming in through the TP and thus will hardly get a chance to start, if ever.

It's a Catch-22 situation, balancing decisions between the "win now" mantra vs possibly going through some seasons with maybe 3-4 losses while the QB develops. Probably the last QB we had that was developed by Oregon was Marcus Mariota.

There are 90+ FBS quarterbacks in the portal. Including those who started at Ohio State and Duke and Miss St. 

Oregon is nowhere near the only program with turnover at QB and it is definitely a 2 sided equation. 

If someone doesn’t get a shot to play, or doesn’t like the offense/coordinator, or doesn’t like the NIL deal, they leave. 

if a team doesn’t think a player is good enough to play or finds out through back channels that a better player wants to come play for them, they bring the better player in and don’t play the player they have. 

It is not unique to Oregon at all. I mean, Dillon Gabriel is probably coming here because Oklahoma wants to play Jackson Arnold next year and Gabriel didn’t want to take the chance on being forced out of the starting slot. 

It’s just more mercenary environment causing annual adaptation by all involved because there are no real employment contracts. 

Dante Moore snubs us, then gets humbled and realizes starting in P5 isn’t as easy as he thought and now is, by accounts, considering coming to Oregon to learn and develop for a year before taking the reins in 2025. 

90 QBs in the Portal!

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I do not think Ty Thompson ever had much of a chance this year to show us what he might be capable of. It was pretty clear that the University, the Athletic Department and Dan Lanning were going to promote Bo Nix for the Heisman. "Not that there is anything wrong with that" but Bo played enormous minutes that might have gone to TT in a perfect world. Ty, I hope you find a great place to practice your skills!

On 12/10/2023 at 10:45 AM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

I do not think Ty Thompson ever had much of a chance this year to show us what he might be capable of. It was pretty clear that the University, the Athletic Department and Dan Lanning were going to promote Bo Nix for the Heisman. "Not that there is anything wrong with that" but Bo played enormous minutes that might have gone to TT in a perfect world. Ty, I hope you find a great place to practice your skills!

How many 4th quarters did Nix sit out this year so TT could get game time? I'd say far more than the average starting QB sits out to give his backup game experience. TT has had numerous opportunities to get up to speed, prove himself, etc. The big reason it didn't work out for TT was the writing on the wall... It just wasn't in the cards. TT is/was a loyal Duck and a great guy, but he wants to play so best he finds a team that fits his talents and skills.

It seems naive to think that if Bo would have gone down due to serious injury that TT could have stepped in and produced at anywhere near a level needed to win.

• Thumbs Up 3

Duck fans show love and appreciation to Ty Thompson after QB enters transfer portal

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Ducks quarterback Ty Thompson entered the transfer portal on Sunday, leaving fans to show love and appreciation on social media.

My two cents:  I was as critical of Ty Thompson during the 2022 season as anyone. My overriding impression of TT then was that ever-present deer-in-the-headlights look on his face. Thus, I was pleasantly surprised this season to see what I thought was vast improvement in his on-field play, coupled with a little less of that previous glazed look. That's a tribute to his work ethic, I think.

So, I wish him nothing but the best and I would LOVE to read about him lighting it up with some other team next year. He certainly has the physical tools to do so. 

After watching some FCS quarterfinal games Friday and Saturday, I think it would be great to see Ty go to a team at that level and really dominate. 

As to all the comments above debating whether or not Ty ever had a "fair" chance to show his skillset on the field for the Ducks, I'm of the opinion that he definitely DID have the chance. Furthermore, with regard to those above who worry about the Ducks' ability to attract top-rated H.S. quarterbacks to the program in the future, I think they're not really reading where college football has already gone. To understand my point here, I suggest a look at the articles about this year's Heisman Trophy finalists.

Three of the four Heisman finalists this year (including OBD's Bo Nix) were transfers; all three were quarterbacks. In addition, previous winners Williams, Mayfield, Murray, and Burrow were all transfer QBs. Thus, I see teams like the Ducks, who have designs on making the CFP every year, predominantly using other teams to develop young quarterbacks in game action and then plucking the best of those out of the transfer portal. In doing so, they avoid the uncertainty of allowing an inexperienced QB prospect to develop on the field while (potentially) losing games.

Certainly, every top team will continue to look for that high school phenom like Caleb Williams and Justin Herbert, who can come in and take the field immediately with top-level performance. But, realistically, those guys are an absolute rarity. 

So, what are the prospects for a guy like Austin Novosad? Well, he continues to work on his game in practice as the #2 QB. And, in the event, that the #1 QB goes down to injury, he gets his on-field playing time with the first team. If that never happens, he too will likely transfer to another school in a couple of years. Not necessarily sad; just the new reality of college football where quarterbacks are concerned.

Edited by WiseKwacker
  • Thumbs Up 3

I kind of wish Bo would have sat out the bowl game and we could have seen what Ty had to offer in a full game.  From afar it seemed he handled himself with dignity and was a good teammate.  Hopefully he is amazing wherever he goes.

He might make his way to ASU.  

Onward Oregon!!

On 12/10/2023 at 4:02 PM, TexasDuck said:

He might make his way to ASU.  

Don't they have a highly rated freshman QB who showed some good things this season before being injured?

TT needs to go somewhere that he'll be able to win the starting spot, even if it's a bit of a step down.

• Like 1

'Once a Duck, always a Duck;' Ty Thompson sends parting message to Oregon fans

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Ducks quarterback Ty Thompson sent a parting message to fans after entering the transfer portal on Monday.