CjAllen180

IT'S OFFICIAL...HE GONE!

Welp, Kalen DeBeor is going down south to Alabama to try to fill Saint Nick's shoes!

So let me get this straight. Washington is: 

-reeling from an embarrassing loss in the Natty

- going to a tougher conference
- making half of what everyone else is
- has less talent than half their new conference
- loses all its best players
- loses its head coach

did i miss anything?

SHOULD be sympathetic. As a Duck fan, I too have felt the anguish of losing a beloved coach to another gig. It sucks, I know, so I absolutely SHOULD be sympathetic....

But I WON'T!

I shall bathe in the misery of Husky fans everywhere, and relish every second of their collective meltdown, and I shall do so with a smile on my face!

In the words of Mr. Charles Fischer himself...

"I never said I was NOBLE."

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Cool 1
  • Haha 4
  • Mic drop 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 6

Happy Fuskie day!!!

• Salute 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I ❤️ that he was making half of what DL is making even after beating PBD 3x!! Maybe Phil shouldn't have brought the Fuskies along in the negotiations to become a B1G member? The way they spend their football money reminds me of a certain orange rodent!! Would have been better to bring Standford along as the complement to OBD!!

In closing: that's another PUNCH to the Fuskies!!

Duck fans react to news that Washington's Kalen DeBoer is leaving for Alabama job

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Duck fans celebrated at the news that Washington Huskies’ head coach Kalen DeBoer was leaving Seattle for the Alabama...

WWW.ESPN.COM

Washington's Kalen DeBoer, who guided the Huskies to a spot in the College Football Playoff National Championship game this past season, has agreed to a deal to become the next head coach at...

I was kind of hoping DeBoer would stay at UW, if only to see him here when the Duck play the huskies next year!

• Thumbs Up 1

Accurate.

• Haha 6
  • Applause 1

As awkward as it feels agreeing with Husky fans, at least a couple of them are talking some sense.

image.thumb.png.209db60b0c758253fa9a24d08deb15f3.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Husky success over the past two seasons ends up being their demise.  This is going to be a tough recovery.

On the other hand, I was hoping Alabama would leave at least one void at the top of the CFB pecking order.  Unfortunately, I think KDB is a freaking good coach and the best option available to Alabama.  If he can solve recruiting, he may be better than Kirby Smart and far better than Sark or Kiffin.  I have a feeling we'll be butting heads with KDB and Alabama soon and often in a 12 team playoff.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

I’ve been consumed by a time sensitive situation and so have been oblivious to the outside world.  

On Thursday morning I did a quick scan and saw Pete was fired (a good thing I think) and read a cursory list of potential replacements. 

I have finally finished what I had been focused on to just now read DeBoer is going to Alabama (I didn’t even know Saban retired!)

And I live in Seattle making my cluelessness all the more ridiculous 

Sometimes it’s good to be off the grid from time to time 🙂

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

While I love that UW fans are feeling this pain...the thought of playing KDB with Alabama talent in the playoffs frightens me.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 5:20 PM, Vanducky said:

As awkward as it feels agreeing with Husky fans, at least a couple of them are talking some sense.

image.thumb.png.209db60b0c758253fa9a24d08deb15f3.png

Herein lies the difference between DL and DeBoer. Dan Lanning is a builder and Kalen DeBoer is a maintainer. One is basically an engineer the other is a mechanic. Sure, one kept winning races with a finely tuned machine while the other was inventing something to beat it. When they stopped making parts for the finely tune machine the mechanic moved on.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is emblematic of the future and another example of Uncle Phil and Friends being so instrumental to Oregon's sports success. 

I do not think that UW had a prayer of matching the Bama offer. Even in a Power 2, there is a strata of true contenders and the 'other guys.' Jen Cohen without a big budget pulled this hire out of her hat. Next up if I were UW AD Troy Dannen, I'm going to take a long look at Liberty's Jamey Chadwell. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/12/2024 at 5:47 PM, DUCati855 said:

While I love that UW fans are feeling this pain...the thought of playing KDB with Alabama talent in the playoffs frightens me.

It excites me because that would be a playoff game. And will DB keep this signing class and draw anywhere near Saint Nick when it comes to recruiting? I doubt it.

The happiest guy down South today has to be Kirby Smart. With Kiff and Sark not far behind.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/12/2024 at 5:53 PM, Jon Joseph said:

This is emblematic of the future and another example of Uncle Phil and Friends being so instrumental to Oregon's sports success. 

I do not think that UW had a prayer of matching the Bama offer. Even in a Power 2, there is a strata of true contenders and the 'other guys.' Jen Cohen without a big budget pulled this hire out of her hat. Next up if I were UW AD Troy Dannen, I'm going to take a long look at Liberty's Jamey Chadwell. 

They came up with $8.4M/year. DeBoer turned it down. I think he was fresh out of Petersen/Lake’s players and knew it was time to move nests.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

A little disappointed. As much of a rivalry as there has been between Oregon and UW in the past. With DeBoar at UW and Lanning at Oregon this was about to go to another level. The two long time rivals were about to be ongoing national title contenders. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

It will be interesting to see how long Alabama can keep getting top 10 recruiting classes, let alone top 5.

Are any of the Bama coaching staff going to stay on and help?  If not, the tide will not roll, it will fade.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not just Sleepless in Seattle, but Coachless in Seattle!

Seahawks and Huskies with no coaches.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/12/2024 at 2:47 PM, DUCati855 said:

Alabama is gonna be a BIG PROBLEM for college football...for the next 2 years. After that, it's all downhill.

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 4:47 PM, DUCati855 said:

Ehh, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Why Alabama chose Kalen DeBoer as its new head coach

Kalen DeBoer has a tough act to follow.

Alabama will name DeBoer its next head coach, sources told ESPN on Friday, replacing Nick Saban and his more than 200 wins and six national titles at the school.

DeBoer, 49, is 105-12 as a head coach and was named AP Coach of the Year at Washington last season on his way to the national championship game.

Now he must transition into a tougher-than-ever SEC that adds Texas and Oklahoma next season.

Why did the Tide choose DeBoer to lead the next era of Alabama football? And what's next for Washington?

We answer some of the most pressing questions about the move...

WWW.ESPN.COM

Alabama moved swiftly to replace coach Nick Saban and his six national titles with the Crimson Tide. Our college football staff...

Alabama HIRES Washington’s Kalen DeBoer As Next Head Coach! | What Does This Mean For Crimson Tide?

Alabama hires Kalen DeBoer: Washington coach replaces Nick Saban after 25-3 run with Huskies

It's official. The Alabama announcement can be seen in the article...

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

DeBoer has quickly emerged as a rising star in the coaching ranks, and now he steps into the shoes of an icon

Week 3, Bama at Wisconsin, with Van Dyke playing QB for Wisconsin could be very interesting. DeBoer's 1st road test. Milroe is good but he will not blow the opposition away by throwing the ball. And Michigan exposed the UW and the Bama OLs. (The center who dribbled the ball back to Milroe in the Rose Bowl has transferred to Ohio State.)

It will be interesting to hear from Paul Finebaum and his friends comes Monday.

On 1/12/2024 at 5:59 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

They came up with $8.4M/year. DeBoer turned it down. I think he was fresh out of Petersen/Lake’s players and knew it was time to move nests.

Doc, WOW! What was the source for this dollar amount? Thanks.

DeBoer is going to be deadly for a year or two at Bama. He has a roster full of play makers and big linemen. 

He has proven he can make the Xs and Os work but he hasn't recruited a Division 1 roster to date. He bailed from Fresno before his recruits became upper class men and he is leaving Washington before his recruits become the backbone of the team. 

He has shown he can take someone else's roster and add some nice transfers into it and make it into something. But he hasn't proved he can build a roster from the ground up. 

But he is going to have to learn to recruit fast to maintain any success he has. 

Now... Some might say that Lanning is winning with Cristobal's guys but that is false for the most part. Lanning has gutted and rebuilt the Oregon roster over the last two years. The 2021 team was mostly Cristobal guys but the 2022 team was majority Lanning. 

And the 2022 team was better! 

• Go Ducks! 1

The hire opens a 30-day transfer window at Bama and UW. All but 6 of Bama's 2024 recruits have enrolled. School is in session so the enrollees at Bama would have to use their one-time transfer waiver.

I am not certain of the enrollee status at UW. I would think that a guy like QB Will Rogers may be having 2nd thoughts. 

Good luck replacing the guy with over 200 wins and 6 titles won at Bama. DeBoer does not lack confidence.

On 1/12/2024 at 9:05 PM, David Marsh said:

DeBoer is going to be deadly for a year or two at Bama. He has a roster full of play makers and big linemen. 

He has proven he can make the Xs and Os work but he hasn't recruited a Division 1 roster to date. He bailed from Fresno before his recruits became upper class men and he is leaving Washington before his recruits become the backbone of the team. 

He has shown he can take someone else's roster and add some nice transfers into it and make it into something. But he hasn't proved he can build a roster from the ground up. 

But he is going to have to learn to recruit fast to maintain any success he has. 

Now... Some might say that Lanning is winning with Cristobal's guys but that is false for the most part. Lanning has gutted and rebuilt the Oregon roster over the last two years. The 2021 team was mostly Cristobal guys but the 2022 team was majority Lanning. 

David, that's if he can re-recruit the roster. A 30-day transfer window just opened at Bama and UW. Think the poachers are headed to Tuscaloosa and going after guys in 2024's 2nd-rated class?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/12/2024 at 6:05 PM, David Marsh said:

UW had a ton of transfers and this kid named Penix. 

On 1/12/2024 at 8:55 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Doc, WOW! What was the source for this dollar amount? Thanks.

WWW.NBCPHILADELPHIA.COM

Washington’s Kalen DeBoer has taken the head coaching job at Alabama following Nick Saban’s retirement.

ESPN's Pete Thamel reported that Washington made a pitch to keep DeBoer and offered him a contract that would more than double his current $4.2 million salary. DeBoer would owe Washington $12 million as part of a buyout in a contract extension he signed with the university in November.

• Thanks 1

On 1/12/2024 at 2:44 PM, CalBear95 said:

I’ve been consumed by a time sensitive situation and so have been oblivious to the outside world.  

On Thursday morning I did a quick scan and saw Pete was fired (a good thing I think) and read a cursory list of potential replacements. 

I have finally finished what I had been focused on to just now read DeBoer is going to Alabama (I didn’t even know Saban retired!)

And I live in Seattle making my cluelessness all the more ridiculous 

Sometimes it’s good to be off the grid from time to time 🙂

Fellow Cal Bear here…….you must have been waaaaay off the grid. You missed all the fun, and all the “will he or won’t he” chatter.

I just feel relieved that Dan is sticking around.

But I’m not naive, and realize that some day he will move on……they all eventually go.

So, let’s just enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Alabama called:

Lanning....Nope

Sark.......Nope

Kiffin......Nope

Norvell....Nope

DeBoer...... Well, OK

Tough to follow St. Nick in Tuscaloosa in spite of it being the premier CFB job. The success needle that needs to be threaded is very narrow and that fan base will be very unforgiving if big things don't happen.

DeBoer is a great coach and may do well there for a couple years, but the pressure cooker/cauldron of expectations at Bama will not tolerate many 9-3 seasons. He may not be an elite recruiter but he darn well better have a few on his staff to make this a smart move for both him and the Tide.

In the meantime we at OBDF can luxuriate in the turn of fortunes for our canine rivals to the north.

Revenge is a dish best served cold. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/12/2024 at 6:12 PM, Jon Joseph said:

David, that's if he can re-recruit the roster. A 30-day transfer window just opened at Bama and UW. Think the poachers are headed to Tuscaloosa and going after guys in 2024's 2nd-rated class?

He'll hold onto enough to be dangerous for the next year or so... But might have a quicker drop off. 

Keeping an eye on that blue chip ratio will be the telling sign. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/12/2024 at 6:19 PM, VegasDuck said:

UW had a ton of transfers and this kid named Penix. 

Can't maintain a winning program through the portal alone. There just isn't enough high quality talent in it on the line of scrimmage for starters. 

A big bulk of that Washington team was composed of Petersen and Lake recruits who were in their 4th-6th years of eligibility.

• Thumbs Up 2

The Arizona Athletic Department is broke. $5 to $6M would likely lure Jedd Fisch to Seattle and the B1G. Fisch's Arizona team gave UW a heck of a battle in Tucson.

But I'm sure the 'experts' will soon be out with more likely candidates. But Fisch is the guy, FWIW, that I'd go after. 

On 1/12/2024 at 11:15 PM, Jon Joseph said:

The Arizona Athletic Department is broke. $5 to $6M would likely lure Jedd Fisch to Seattle and the B1G. Fisch's Arizona team gave UW a heck of a battle in Tucson.

But I'm sure the 'experts' will soon be out with more likely candidates. But Fisch is the guy, FWIW, that I'd go after. 

He has tons of NFL experience. Hiring him would be nice but fuskie fans would be on pins and needles every time a NFL coach gets fired.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/12/2024 at 9:15 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Fisch is actually the guy I'm most worried that they will hire.  Arizona is looking really good and is on the rise.  I don't like seeing his name on the list of potential replacements. 

Edited by MikeJ
  • Thumbs Up 1

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't care who they hire, Penix was a once in a generation player that without him they were an 8 - 5 team at BEST.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/12/2024 at 6:10 PM, Jon Joseph said:

a guy like QB Will Rogers may be having 2nd thoughts. 

Crystal ball . . .

Safety Asa Turner, TE Tre Watson, QB Will Rogers and LB Ethan Barr

Previously:  QB Dylan Morris, QB Will Haskell, WR Taeshaun Lyons, DB Vincent Nunley, DB Jabbar Muhammad and DB Jaivion Green 

I say go after Muhammad.

WWW.MSN.COM

• Applause 1

"Following DeBoer agreeing to coach Alabama in early afternoon, the UW called a players' meeting. One father posted that roughly only 25 percent of the team attended it."

WWW.MSN.COM

• Oh no! 1
  • Wow 1

On 1/13/2024 at 1:31 AM, OregonDucks said:

"Following DeBoer agreeing to coach Alabama in early afternoon, the UW called a players' meeting. One father posted that roughly only 25 percent of the team attended it."

WWW.MSN.COM

On 1/12/2024 at 10:02 PM, Steven A said:

Crystal ball . . .

Safety Asa Turner, TE Tre Watson, QB Will Rogers and LB Ethan Barr

Previously:  QB Dylan Morris, QB Will Haskell, WR Taeshaun Lyons, DB Vincent Nunley, DB Jabbar Muhammad and DB Jaivion Green 

I say go after Muhammad.

WWW.MSN.COM

Agreed, but one has to think some transfers will follow DeBoer to Bama. I'd love to get Muhammad, a true shut down corner.

Who is most likely to take over as the next head coach for the Washington Huskies?

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

A look at who the most likely candidates might be for the next head coach of the Washington Huskies after Kalen DeBoer’s departure.

He gone too! Wow, the dawgs are loose, and gonna lose!

WWW.YAHOO.COM

Washington loses its 2024 QB right after Kalen DeBoer's departure.

Call the pound.

The fusskies are straying, and there's no known rescue service! 

Mongrel tears are shedding like a warm winter coat in July... I can feel the warmth from here!

Edited by woundedknees

On 1/12/2024 at 5:35 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Why Alabama chose Kalen DeBoer as its new head coach

That's easy... Because they couldn't get Dan Lanning. 

Or Kirby, or Sark... DeBoer might actually have been a bit down the Bama coach preference food-chain.