NJDuck

Oregon Football's Traeshon Holden Issues Apology for Spitting on Ohio State Player

Wanted all to see of Traeshon Holden's apology to Igbinosun:

Oregon wide receiver Traeshon Holden issued an apology on social media Sunday, the day after he was ejected from the Ducks' 32-31 win against Ohio State for spitting on Buckeyes cornerback Davison Igbinosun.

In a statement addressed to teammates, coaches, fans and Igbinosun, Holden said he wanted to, "apologize for my actions during our recent game. My actions were not only disrespectful but also the betrayal of the values of sportsmanship, integrity, and respect that I strive to embody as a student athlete."

WWW.REGISTERGUARD.COM

Oregon wide receiver Traeshon Holden was ejected from Saturday's game against Ohio State for spitting on an opponent...

• Thumbs Up 2

As long as he learns something positive out of it, I'm sure he's already gotten an earful from DL all the way down to his position coach.  Benched for 2 games sounds about right for a punishment.

🤔Hmm...

Oregon WR Traeshon Holden Gets Booked For Using AI To Write His Apology To Fans After Getting Ejected For Spitting On Ohio State Player

WWW.TOTALPROSPORTS.COM

Oregon Wide receiver Traeshon Holden got caught using AI in apology for spitting on a Ohio State defensive back

I can't imagine being barred from sharing in the amazing out flow of positive energy from that game, due to my own selfishness. If Holden cares about this team at all, it should have been a gut wrenching, 'Come to HeySuess' moment for the young man.

Self control can be a tough lesson for some folks to learn.

Edited by woundedknees

On 10/14/2024 at 10:09 AM, NJDuck said:

🤔Hmm...

Oregon WR Traeshon Holden Gets Booked For Using AI To Write His Apology To Fans After Getting Ejected For Spitting On Ohio State Player

WWW.TOTALPROSPORTS.COM

Oregon Wide receiver Traeshon Holden got caught using AI in apology for spitting on a Ohio State defensive back

That doesn't make much sense to me.  Wouldn't someone from Oregon's media team help him write up such a letter?

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/14/2024 at 10:09 AM, NJDuck said:

🤔Hmm...

WWW.TOTALPROSPORTS.COM

Kinda doubt this. I'm sure the UO helped considerably, of course.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/14/2024 at 10:07 AM, kirklandduck said:

Benched for 2 games sounds about right for a punishment.

On the surface, that seems like an excessive punishment to me.  Of course, there are other things that go on behind the scenes that can influence the outcome, which is why I will just trust whatever the coaches decide is appropriate.

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2024 at 10:07 AM, kirklandduck said:

Benched for 2 games sounds about right for a punishment.

I haven't heard of any additional punishment and I'm not sure what the best answer is, but I would be disappointed in the standard of "Men of Oregon" if Holden sees the field in our next game.

• Great post! 1
  • Like 1

I expected a fairly severe punishment from Coach Lanning.

His action was gross, but certainly not, 'punch Hout out', egregious. I'm glad the recipient had a shield on his face guard.

As far as the 'apology' goes, I would be shocked if this was not vetted by the Duck AD.

I also know that it could have been a personal statement that was run through an automated editing process to achieve the end result. That would not be out of the question, depending on the language skills possessed but a student athlete.

Without knowing the way Holden speaks and writes  under normal circumstances, it's difficult, if not impossible, to judge.

Edited by woundedknees
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2024 at 12:17 PM, ElPatoUO said:

On the surface, that seems like an excessive punishment to me.  Of course, there are other things that go on behind the scenes that can influence the outcome, which is why I will just trust whatever the coaches decide is appropriate.

Same here. Missing the Ohio State game and writing an apology letter seems like sufficient punishment to me. I hope that he learns from it and moves on.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2024 at 10:17 AM, ElPatoUO said:

There were people online saying that Treshon should be kicked off the team, that's excessive punishment.  Benching him for a couple games would give him ample time to work on himself a bit before getting into the meat of the schedule.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2024 at 12:27 PM, kirklandduck said:

There were people online saying that Treshon should be kicked off the team, that's excessive punishment. 

I realize that there are different coaches, with different rules, but if LGB got a second change after punching an opposing player in the face, then I hardly think that spitting in the face of opponent (though disgusting and disrespectful) should be treated more severely.  Just my $0.02.

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/14/2024 at 10:27 AM, kirklandduck said:

There were people online saying that Treshon should be kicked off the team, that's excessive punishment.  Benching him for a couple games would give him ample time to work on himself a bit before getting into the meat of the schedule.

Well yeah, you can find any opinion you are looking for on the Internet. Anyone that thinks he should be kicked off the team for that alone are complete morons.

In a vacuum, my initial thought was Holden would be suspended for 1 game, or perhaps the first half of the next game. What is appropriate is always debatable. I know in the NFL players have been caught spitting on other players and they have received minor fines (relative to their astronomical salaries), with no suspension.

Lots of thoughts as this story unfolds.

He looked heartbroken in the tunnel but--for the love--could we get an apology letter/video that actually sounds like it's from the individual; that actually sounds sincere!!??

I'm tired of these sanitized PR department, perfect grammar, poor excuses for authenticity.

They should sit him in a room ALONE with a pencil and paper, no electronics, and no PR/Editor/English major in his ear, and make him compose an apology letter and release that without any proof reading/editing.

Re: the potential use of AI . . . I'll bet the person that wrote the article about the use of AI used AI to help him write his article.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I was actually curious if there was an NCAA suspension in place for this type of foul and according to the rules, it is ejection only.  There is no further suspension like there is for a targeting penalty.

So any further discipline will be given by DL, UofO, etc.  

Screenshot_20241014-105124.thumb.png.8f101591b89aaa6561980400747e26d6.png

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/14/2024 at 1:27 PM, kirklandduck said:

Just my personal opinion, what just transpired should be sufficient enough.  He spit hitting the opposing player's face guard shield.  He wrote the apology and sat out for the rest of the game.

• Applause 2

In today's highly technical age, I am not bothered by him using AI for an apology.  Have you seen how "educated" young men write these days?  It stated the right things, and we can move forward.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

I have a not-so sneaky suspicion that the young man may be suffering leg cramps for a few days... Up-downs and stadium steps can have that effect on a feller. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2024 at 2:40 PM, woundedknees said:

I have a not-so sneaky suspicion that the young man may be suffering leg cramps for a few days... Up-downs and stadium steps can have that effect on a feller. 

A lot of up-downs as well.... he won't do it again

Classless act followed by a somewhat insincere apology (not the content, the writing of).  

That said he's already missed most of the biggest game of his life so that's probably punishment enough and I'm guessing there's probably some internal consequences as well.

Move on and for criminy sakes learn something from this.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

DL should follow Chip's lead and bench Holden like Blount.   We did get LaMike out of that decision and still went to Rose Bowl, so I am sure someone else will step up to finish the season for Holden.

Edited by DuckFan93
  • Go Ducks! 1

On 10/14/2024 at 11:36 AM, Charles Fischer said:

In today's highly technical age, I am not bothered by him using AI for an apology.  Have you seen how "educated" young men write these days?  It stated the right things, and we can move forward.

The statement was in his name with the right acceptance of blame and correction. I'd rather he use AI and modify based on his true sense of regret and contrition than have an Oregon program staffer write it for him. Not that different than when politicians use speech writers to pen the right words to say when they find themselves in hot water. Holden owned the bad mistake and made the apology, even if a sophisticated word generator helped.

Kicking him off the team, which happened once already after a gun charge he was ultimately exonerated on (and nothing from that episode should necessarily be read into the current one), is excessive. So is suspending him for the season.

Holding him out for a game or two is a Lanning decision and I very much doubt it would be made on a 'how much do we need him' basis. Justus Lowe played most of his snaps Saturday and did a good job, particularly blocking. Other WRs are there to step up. Any further punishment should and likely will be made based on:

Is it good for Holden in the long run?

Is it good for the team in terms of lesson learned, accountability and cohesion?

Does it distract from the task at hand, which is beating Purdue on the road Friday?

• Thumbs Up 2

I read the letter... as a teacher I've read far too many AI generated things. This didn't strike me as AI generated but it could have... in short is was a pretty standard apology. I wouldn't have been surprised if it started as AI generated or was based off a standard apology. It doesn't go into specifics it is just standard. 

As for Holden... he has been running hot emotionally for quite a few games now. I think he got an unsportsmanlike against Michigan State. He needs to control himself better. 

Though if anyone was watching when Holden entered the tunnel he sat down and broke down. He was clearly upset and he knew he had let everyone down. That's the lesson learned and to be blunt he didn't need to be yelled at. He probably needs a sports psychologist to be honest because he runs too hot emotionally too much of the time. He needs some strategies to cool down and to focus that emotion into lifting others up on his own team. 

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 6
  • Thumbs Up 5

I believe he should have apologized in a press conference that night.  Seeing him personally speak would have demonstrated exactly who he is.

I doubt he is as insincere as the Media driven letter appears ( nothing against him, but it looked like every other apology we've seen from politicians, actors, other athletes etc.).

NBC caught his authentic reaction best.  He obviously wasn't going to be a distraction from the game press conference, but a significant player like he is should have had his moment live and in person.

CFB is damn near the NFL already.  An NFL WR had to appear to explain his encounter with the Miami Police.  This seems to me to be no different.  

He is a major cog for a major team.  The University shouldn't shield him from the consequences of his actions.  He was man enough to spit in someone's face.  He should be man enough to explain his actions in front of the press.

This is what the kids wanted.  Money, fame accolades.  Attention and praise.  Well there's another side to the coin.

Not to mention, he absolutely knows he impacted the team, and completely minimized his exposure on the big stage.  He has to wait for the playoffs now to demonstrate his skills.  And he already was killing it Saturday.

No amount of suspension time can make up for that. 

Mike, can you say that in less than five thousand words lol

Edited by Mike West
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/14/2024 at 1:13 PM, Mike West said:

I believe he should have apologized in a press conference that night.  Seeing him personally speak would have demonstrated exactly who he is.

I agree this would certainly have been more meaningful and impact... though I don't think doing it during the press conference that night would have been appropriate for two reasons. 

1. I don't think Holden had the mental head-space to do it that night. I don't think most adults would be able to emotionally regulate and get themselves into the correct mindset to own up to their actions that quickly. 

2. Those media interactions and interviews were about the team and the team's win. Giving airtime to an apology that focused on the actions of one player kinda goes against focus. 

I am sure Lanning is going to have him stand up on the stage during a team meeting and apologize to the entire team that way. We may get a taste of it in a Ducks vs Them video but I kinda doubt it. That apology is far more important and meaningful than anything that goes out to the media and fan base. We love this team and we may all appreciate an apology but the reality is that we don't work or train nearly as hard as these players. 

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1

One more small rant after re-reading his apology letter.

You can always tell when someone other than the offender is involved in writing it, because it brings in fans and "community".

I don't think he owes the fans or the community anything. He didn't spit in my face, or the face of workers at the local grocery store.

The only folks he inconvenienced was his team/coaches and the tOSU player he spat on.

Just my additional $0.02 . . . which brings my total of two comments to my $0.04.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/14/2024 at 2:10 PM, cartm25 said:

One more small rant after re-reading his apology letter.

You can always tell when someone other than the offender is involved in writing it, because it brings in fans and "community".

I don't think he owes the fans or the community anything. He didn't spit in my face, or the face of workers at the local grocery store.

The only folks he inconvenienced was his team/coaches and the tOSU player he spat on.

Just my additional $0.02 . . . which brings my total of two comments to my $0.04.

I disagree with this a bit, he does represent the university, and the university is a major part of this community.  I coach at the high school level and I always tell my players they not only represent the program, they represent the school, and the community that live in.  Holden is doing the same thing but on a much bigger level. 

I don't think he should be kicked off the team, but he does have a responsibility to be better.  I would agree that the hierarchy of that responsibility starts with himself, his family, his teammates, his coaches, and so forth down the chain to the overall community of the university.

I will also say that I was not offended like he did something that will affect me in my life, I was more upset by what he was doing to the team/university that I support.

Edited by spartan2785
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm with Fishduck on this one, let's move forward.

Go beat the Boiler Boys of Purdue. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Spitting was, of course, a totally bad move by Traeshon. He had to leave the game, has issued an apology, and will probably have  some sort of further punishment regarding playing time.

But we never know what someone else is going through, we don't know what is happening in their personal lives, so I feel that we can just let DL and the university handle it and hope Traeshon has learned a lesson.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I’m sure that apology was for the public. I would be very surprised if he didn’t make some personal phone calls.

"Go beat the Boiler Boys Plate Out of Purdue."

FIFY

On 10/14/2024 at 10:41 AM, cartm25 said:

Lots of thoughts as this story unfolds.

He looked heartbroken in the tunnel but--for the love--could we get an apology letter/video that actually sounds like it's from the individual; that actually sounds sincere!!??

I'm tired of these sanitized PR department, perfect grammar, poor excuses for authenticity.

They should sit him in a room ALONE with a pencil and paper, no electronics, and no PR/Editor/English major in his ear, and make him compose an apology letter and release that without any proof reading/editing.

Re: the potential use of AI . . . I'll bet the person that wrote the article about the use of AI used AI to help him write his article.

Cartm25, I could not agree with you more.

When I read Holden’s apology statement it was very upsetting, to the point of being borderline disgusted by it. I don’t know who wrote it, and I certainly hope Holden contributed to it, in some way, but I have my doubts.

Let him speak for himself.

If I had done what Holden did, I might have started my statement with something like this…..”I was an idiot and totally overreacted. No excuses. I sincerely apologize and understand that whatever punishment comes my way I deserve……etc.

• Thanks 1

My reaction to this incident was major disgust with the player and his attitude. Pulling a gun in a parking lot pre season would have been enough for me. Someone else suggested he got an unsportsman like penalty as well. I see a trend here, he seems almost out of control. This does not reflect well on my University. For me.........Next man up.

BTW I doubt seriously that he wrote much if any of this apology.

Edited by Santa Rosa Duck

Alabama defensive back Malachi Moore apologized for his behavior toward the end of the Crimson Tide's 40-35 upset at the hands of Vanderbilt.

"I was completely out of line," he said in a statement posted to social media. "I let the emotions of the game get the best of me and put myself before the team. As a two-time captain and a fifth-year player, I understand the standard that we are expected to live up to at Alabama, and I failed to do so by acting in a selfish and unacceptable manner."

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/14/2024 at 5:55 PM, DUCKED said:

Cartm25, I could not agree with you more.

When I read Holden’s apology statement it was very upsetting, to the point of being borderline disgusted by it. I don’t know who wrote it, and I certainly hope Holden contributed to it, in some way, but I have my doubts.

Let him speak for himself.

If I had done what Holden did, I might have started my statement with something like this…..”I was an idiot and totally overreacted. No excuses. I sincerely apologize and understand that whatever punishment comes my way I deserve……etc.

Amen!

And I'd like to add, I'm suggesting the "locked in the room/pencil/paper" thing, not because I assume there should be grammar errors, but because I think Holden would do a better job and sound more sincere than the Admin team that wrote most, if not all, of that letter.

I think it's a disservice to Holden not letting him do his own apology, both for his own personal growth, and also because I think all involved would be quick to move on and forgive if sincere.

We all saw he was devastated in the tunnel; he felt the gravity of his mistake.

But instead, the PR folks drafted an apology that sounds like it was penned by C-3PO.

That's not fair to Holden.

Edited by cartm25
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/14/2024 at 6:15 PM, cartm25 said:

I think it's a disservice to Holden not letting him do is own apology

Hey, this is another opportunity to jump on Lincoln Riley. A while back after a USC loss, I can't remember which one. In the post-game presser, a player was asked a question and was about to respond when Riley grabbed mike and told the reporter(s) to ask him the questions, not the players,

And never forget Oklahoma State coach. Mike, "I'm A Man" Gundy. 

On 10/14/2024 at 10:31 AM, OregonDucks said:

I realize that there are different coaches, with different rules, but if LGB got a second change after punching an opposing player in the face, then I hardly think that spitting in the face of opponent (though disgusting and disrespectful) should be treated more severely.  Just my $0.02.

I disagree…….in my opinion, spitting in someone’s face is worse than throwing a punch and should be treated more severely.

• Oh no! 1

On 10/14/2024 at 11:36 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I think it comes off as hollow and insincere, as if it was composed by the PR department.

It was wrong and even embarrassing to me as a fan, but as they say stuff happens . He should have at least a 2 game suspension and send the tOsu player a decent gift. That was gross. The apaology did seem a bit contrived however.

Edited by 1Ducker1
add

On 10/14/2024 at 10:27 AM, kirklandduck said:
On 10/14/2024 at 10:17 AM, ElPatoUO said:

Expand  

There were people online saying that Treshon should be kicked off the team, that's excessive punishment.

Are these the same people that want DG benched because he doesn't see the whole field or can't throw a deep ball? A different OC because Stein doesn't call good plays? A different running backs coach because Samples isn't as good as the previous one?

One thing those experts NEED to know: In Lanning WE trust! Go DUCKS!

Edited by criticalduck

On 10/15/2024 at 4:23 AM, criticalduck said:

Are these the same people that want DG benched because he doesn't see the whole field or can't throw a deep ball? A different OC because Stein doesn't call good plays? A different running backs coach because Samples isn't as good as the previous one?

One thing those experts NEED to know: In Lanning WE trust! Go DUCKS!

Over the years--I have become much more forgiving with intense discussions.  I guarantee that some stuff was written above that I think is stupid-as-hell, but I'm sure others think the same about my views and attempts at humor at times.

No sweat.

We all are right about half the time, and the important thing is that we can share out opinions, no matter how off-the-wall-or-wrong they appear to others.  In this thread, we had a put-down of another OBD member that fortunately was only up for 11 minutes before I caught it and deleted it.

The OBD member is restrained from posting for a while.  I don't have time to babysit adults, but when I do--I give them a time-out.

I do not subscribe to "the coach is always right," because discussing coaching decisions is what we do on a forum.  We will agree, disagree and everyone can have their view--even if others disagree with it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Charles, I said the same thing about MC. We had to trust his process until he proved to us it, he, was wrong. I was very happy when MC went to Miami and their team did the same things wrong as the Ducks when he was coach.

I'm not saying that the coach is always right because no one is. All the coaches of Oregon’s past have made many, many mistakes.

DL will continue to make mistakes but has he learned from them? I think he has learned from some but not all. Has he made OBD good bordering on great! He is one of the few coaches that have hired better replacements for assistants than the ones he had previously, IMO.

We are all fans, or haters, and we all have reactions to plays and bad calls. It's just ludicrous to read that  people are calling for someone to be benched or fired with a small sample size of games.

I trust DL in his process and his growth. Until he gives concrete proof that his judgements are flawed I will continue to trust him--even with the field goals and two point conversion tries.

I was/am in the minority, about BN as OBD QB, because I watched him, as a freshman, beat OBD in Dallas but all the mistakes he made then he was still making four years later. He's a great kid and will likely have a decent career in the NFL but he's still making those 18 y/o mistakes as a pro.

• Applause 1

On 10/14/2024 at 2:09 PM, David Marsh said:

Those media interactions and interviews were about the team and the team's win. Giving airtime to an apology that focused on the actions of one player kinda goes against focus. 

You said it better than I tried to explain that.

I agree-his apology to the team is far more important.  

I'm sure they had his back, but man, talk about a mistake that could have had significant consequences.  

Traeshon Holden is a huge piece of the puzzle for this team.  Not much difference than losing Birch on defense. 

That said, he does represent far more than himself.  So I understand the range of emotions about the incident and how some feel he should be punished harshly.  Back when we old geezers played, that may have been the end of his football career at the school, much less football period.  

I personally felt disgusted, yet very concerned for Holden.  We expect so much from these kids, and too many of them never had the foundation to rise to the standards we hold dear in this country.  That's no excuse, just the facts.  That is one of the greatest aspects of what college sports ( and sports from an early age ) have done for way too many of these kids. 

They finally are channeled in an institution that hopefully matriculates them into society with better standards, and an impulse to rise to those standards.  That's one of the important components of this issue-Holden is right where he needs to be to become a much better man.  Who he is associating with inside and outside of the football program is going to materially affect his future.   Fortunately, he is in good hands. 

Let's hope he grows substantially from this experience. 

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/15/2024 at 9:47 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Coach Lanning also said that he spoke with Coach Day about the incident, FWIW.  

What kind of person spits in the face of another person?  Not a good person, in my opinion.

Also it wasn't a mistake it was a CHOICE.  

I see both sides of this.  As a coach, I think DL needs to set an example here.  However, I also think it is important to teach and give second chances.  I know I got my fair share of second chances when I was in my teens and 20s.  

If it was me, I would probably sit him for the Purdue game to reinforce that his behavior was unacceptable.  IMO, that is probably sufficient considering what he did.  

Spitting on a player is vulgar and unacceptable. However, the punishment should NOT be anymore harsh than a player intentionally spearing someone in the head. Holden was ejected from a game, accepted responsibility, apologized, and had off field discipline. Way more punishment than a spear that could break someone’s neck.