Pac10again

Ducks will be Doves if We Go to the BIG

Don't hate me.   Freezing weather, and much stiffer recruiting wars against Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Michigan State.  If Oregon is a 3-loss team for more than a few years in the BIG then we're finished as recruiters.  Today's kids want instant gratification.  In the Pac we will be king. In the Big we're just little brother... I think we have a serious chance in playoffs in the PAC-10, no chance in the Big.  

Yes, we caught Ohio State flat once.  But they beat the team that killed us twice in the bowl game.   They are that good every year.  Just saying...

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The projections show that in seven years....the TV revenue given to B1G teams will be over 100 million compared to the projected TV revenue to Pac-12 teams at just over 50 million.  You cannot be buried like that and compete for long...

giphy.gif

My preference is to stay in the Pac as well, but if the invitation is made to Oregon, we should take it to remain competitive and relevant.  (And I think we will do fine in the B1G)

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

I think a supped up Pac16 with  aggressive non conference scheduling keeps the Ducks relevant on the National scene. Imagine some Phil Knight/Nike sponsored non confrence September  triple feature  bowl games in LA.

SD St vs Baylor then Utah vs Clemson followed by UO vs Miami. LA kids could watch Pac teams staying nationally competitive while staying west coast centered. Then compare that to SC and UCLA traveling cross country to face mediocrity in the snow.

Someone please make this happen!

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/30/2022 at 12:15 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I think a supped up Pac16 with  aggressive non conference scheduling keeps the Ducks relevant on the National scene. Imagine some Phil Knight/Nike sponsored non confrence September  triple feature  bowl games in LA.

SD St vs Baylor then Utah vs Clemson followed by UO vs Miami. LA kids could watch Pac teams staying nationally competitive while staying west coast centered. Then compare that to SC and UCLA traveling cross country to face mediocrity in the snow.

Someone please make this happen!

I agree that UCLA is finished in the BIG

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/30/2022 at 12:07 PM, Charles Fischer said:

The projections show that in seven years....the TV revenue given to B1G teams will be over 100 million compared to the projected TV revenue to Pac-12 teams at just over 50 million.  You cannot be buried like that and compete for long...

giphy.gif

My preference is to stay in the Pac as well, but if the invitation is made to Oregon, we should take it to remain competitive and relevant.  (And I think we will do fine in the B1G)

Making playoffs in the PAC-10   Beat Utah, Arizona, and Washington. 

Making playoffs in the BIG-  Beat Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin.       

Thats my thoughts.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/30/2022 at 12:07 PM, Charles Fischer said:

You cannot be buried like that and compete for long...

My solution, Uncle Phil buy the Pac media rights to guarantee equal payouts to BIG and then resell them on the secondary market for a tax write-off.

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 7/30/2022 at 11:57 AM, Pac10again said:

Don't hate me.   Freezing weather, and much stiffer recruiting wars against Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Michigan State.  If Oregon is a 3-loss team for more than a few years in the BIG then we're finished as recruiters.  Today's kids want instant gratification.  In the Pac we will be king. In the Big we're just little brother... I think we have a serious chance in playoffs in the PAC-10, no chance in the Big.  

Yes, we caught Ohio State flat once.  But they beat the team that killed us twice in the bowl game.   They are that good every year.  Just saying...

On 7/30/2022 at 12:22 PM, Pac10again said:

I agree that UCLA is finished in the BIG

That's a lot of hand wringing when we beat OSU last year, Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl, 2019, MSU in the Red Box 2018 and Nebraska 2017 in Autzen.

That's a 4-0 streak. The B1G teams put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.

We beat OSU legit last year, the problem is AB was at his Ceiling already and didn't get any better! The Utah DC Scalley had all that game film to scheme for AB and we did NOTHING to break TENDENCIES. Now if we would have come out running Tempo and taking some deep shots Utah would have had to adjust to that. 

In 2019 we beat Utah and Wisconsin by running Herbs and breaking TENDENCIES.

I think the Ducks are going to be just fine in the future.

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 7

The biggest game changer in recruiting (outside of NIL) will be if conferences share the revenue and pay their players. 

This wouldn't be revenue sharing across the board but linked to the conference you're in. So being in a conference that doesn't payout as big will kill recruiting entirely.

Though at that point the notion of college sports is dead. 

• Yikes! 1

On 7/30/2022 at 11:57 AM, Pac10again said:

In the Pac we will be king. In the Big we're just little brother..

As a comparison since the start of the Chip Kelly era:

Oregon v B1G  7W 4L

Rose Bowl x 3, Natty (+1 vs SEC)

USC v B1G     5W 3L

Rose Bowl x 2  No CFP

Yep, the competition is stiffer than Pac12 (now 10), but Oregon is the premier program against the B1G. They should do fine. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Hi new poster here. I love this site and the great comments.  Under this scenario I'd rather see the Ducks be a 3 loss BIG 10 team than the so called king of a lesser conference that nobody would respect.  That's what the Pac has been dealing with for years. I'm like everyone else, I think this sucks, especially for programs like OSU and WSU. But this is happening because of the lack of vision of the Pac Presidents, AD's and previous commissioners. They had a chance to address it but did nothing for YEARS. Now they have to deal with the consequences. Also in a 12 or 16 team playoff who says a 3 loss team from the 2 super conferences won't get in? I think Oregon would be more competitive than that.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but there's a lot of smoke coming out of BIG 10 country about the Ducks, Fuskies, and Tree getting invites soon. Maybe Cal if ND says no. This will ease the travel for the LA Benedict Arnold's and let Fox rip Saturday night football from ESPN. If/when that happens Oregon has to take that. Didn't a recruit just pick U$C because of realignment? The financial reasons Charles pointed out are another reason as well. Sorry for the long post. Just my thoughts on all this. Love to see the Pac stay together but I just don't see it happening. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 7/30/2022 at 1:00 PM, David Marsh said:

The biggest game changer in recruiting (outside of NIL) will be if conferences share the revenue and pay their players. 

This wouldn't be revenue sharing across the board but linked to the conference you're in. So being in a conference that doesn't payout as big will kill recruiting entirely.

Though at that point the notion of college sports is dead. 

With the expected TV money it doesn’t surprise me the B1G is leading the way on making football and basketball players employees. Unlike NIL money wages will come from athletic budgets which strongly favors the B1G. College football is getting increasingly ugly and as rich as the richest teams are now, inequality is going to skyrocket killing much we find unique and valuable about college football. I for one will not watch a semi-pro league but will turn to the NFL. 

• Great post! 1
  • Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 1:29 PM, 12Duck72 said:

Hi new poster here. I love this site and the great comments.  Under this scenario I'd rather see the Ducks be a 3 loss BIG 10 team than the so called king of a lesser conference that nobody would respect.  That's what the Pac has been dealing with for years. I'm like everyone else, I think this sucks, especially for programs like OSU and WSU. But this is happening because of the lack of vision of the Pac Presidents, AD's and previous commissioners. They had a chance to address it but did nothing for YEARS. Now they have to deal with the consequences. Also in a 12 or 16 team playoff who says a 3 loss team from the 2 super conferences won't get in? I think Oregon would be more competitive than that.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but there's a lot of smoke coming out of BIG 10 country about the Ducks, Fuskies, and Tree getting invites soon. Maybe Cal if ND says no. This will ease the travel for the LA Benedict Arnold's and let Fox rip Saturday night football from ESPN. If/when that happens Oregon has to take that. Didn't a recruit just pick U$C because of realignment? The financial reasons Charles pointed out are another reason as well. Sorry for the long post. Just my thoughts on all this. Love to see the Pac stay together but I just don't see it happening. 

Welcome, thanks for participating 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

So I read that possibly in a couple months the CFP committee is going to propose a new CFP format. Pretty much guaranteed that it will expand the number of teams. If the Ducks stay in the Pac 12 they'll have a much better chance of making the playoffs. That should help recruiting. Probably won't help long term media payouts but at least they'd be in the big show vs fighting hard to qualify in the Big 10. 

So what's more important, the CFP, or money?

Am I missing something here?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/30/2022 at 1:29 PM, 12Duck72 said:

Hi new poster here. I love this site and the great comments. 

We have had over 60 new members over the last three months, and I have not been able to greet all of them when they post.  (Most do not post, and I don't know why! It is the only safe place anywhere to post)

Great to have you in this superb community, and do post your thoughts often.  WELCOME!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/30/2022 at 1:38 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

So I read that possibly in a couple months the CFP committee is going to propose a new CFP format. Pretty much guaranteed that it will expand the number of teams. If the Ducks stay in the Pac 12 they'll have a much better chance of making the playoffs. That should help recruiting. Probably won't help long term media payouts but at least they'd be in the big show vs fighting hard to qualify in the Big 10. 

So what's more important, the CFP, or money?

Am I missing something here?

It is doubtful that conference winners will have a guaranteed place in the new CFP, thus a popularity contest that is rigged against us.

It is about both, as we must have both to prosper, IMHO.

• Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Always about the money.  Disgusting but true.

Better, in my opinion, to be in Big than left with a paltry tv pay out in the

pac whatever.  We will always be as competitive with equal payout, as our donors choose to be.

First thing to do is to beat GA and then win the Pac 10 this year.

Life is in the moment, the rest is just a mental exercise.

• Great post! 1

If there are going to be two "super conferences", I tend to think those schools aren't gonna want to play anyone too tough outside their conference going forward.

If you have Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, LSU, Florida, Texas, Texas A&M, etc. (or Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, USC, Michigan State, etc.) to deal with each year, are you gonna wanna add a home and home with Clemson, Miami, Oklahoma State, or Oregon?

The ACC, Pac-12, Big-12 I think are going to have to try to play each other if they want to "soup-up" their schedules (and even if they can actually get those games scheduled), is gonna give one of the schools an extra loss, which is going to make it tough for many from the "remaining" P5 conferences to try and out-resume those at the top of the two "mega" conferences.

With all the big games going on in the mega-conferences, is Oregon going to be making many waves nationally saying, "but yeah we beat Cal, WSU, ASU, Colorado, and Oregon State" we should be there too? It maybe makes sense as an argument to long time Pac-12 fans, but nationally I don't see it selling too well. Just as beating TCU, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Houston, and West Virginia won't register too well for the B12 either (fair or not).

While not exactly a recipe for becoming irrelevant, it does look like a huge uphill battle - with a lot of things each year that would have to go right - that are outside a team's control. That and pretty much going undefeated each year.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oregon will absolutely be competitive in the B10.  We've already held our own against their top tier:  Michigan, Michigan St., Wisconsin and now tOSU.  Sure it will take an exceptional season to win the conference.  Granted everyone is still chasing Ohio State at this point, but Michigan broke through this year and there's absolutely no reason we can't too.

Besides, we won't have to win the B1G to get into the playoff.  Since Warren and Sankey have indicated they may not support AQs now in the expanded playoff, it's unlikely that a salvaged P10 will get an automatic bid with or without conference expansion.  Since the B1G and SEC have all the power, they're going to get as many at-large "best teams" spots as possible.  Assuming an expanded 12-16 team playoff, those two conferences will account for at least half the playoff spots.  Consequently a third or fourth place finish in either of those conferences gets you in.  We remain in the P12 and we will most likely have go undefeated to even get a look.  A one-loss P12 champion probably doesn't even get a sniff.

I don't really like it, but if we get invited we have to go.  We gain top-tier financial stability, playoff access and will always be seated at the big table.  Stay in the Pac and we're just going to get table scraps.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Ducks enter B1G and lookout. Recruiting will go through the roof. Play them chumps down south EVERY year. Win your division play conf championship game. Win that your in.

That's better than relying on human opinion like we would get in the Pac-10. 

Lanning turns out to be a great game day coach and look out. Dude can recruit and hire top talent. Thats a recipe for winning titles.

B1G or bust. Get into the B1G and get in position to control our own destiny. 

Now doesn't that sound like a lot of fun? 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

If DL does what we hope he will...and in the end he'll out recruit Mari Crisbal after we win conference championships and they go 8-4... yes we could win in the B1G too.  tOSU isn't invincible, DL and staff recruiting big classes will beat most of the UM, MSU, Wisc, PSU types.  Or go 13-0 in the Pac and make the playoff...put your money where your mouth is in the real games.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/30/2022 at 2:57 PM, Pac10again said:

My biggest takeaway is this...would you rather see great games against great competition throughout the season (yes, with some tough losses mixed in), or watch blowouts most weeks in an effort to go unbeaten against poor competition, for the opportunity to play against 1 or 2 exciting opponents at the end of the season in the playoff? 

I'm an "enjoy the journey" kinda person so I want to watch Oregon play incredible games again Penn St, Michigan, Ohio St, Wisconsin, Michigan St, and occasionally the So Cal schools as they fight for a playoff spot.  Some years they may miss the playoffs but that's ok...gotta have the downs to enjoy the ups.  

Edited by DCDuckfan
  • Go Ducks! 2
  • Great post! 1

There is a lot of ways to look at these super conferences but as we all know football is a fairly brutal sport. IMO these super conferences favor the teams that can recruit 3 deep and the rest will be canibalized. I think a lot of in fact most teams will be hurt by all this new realignment. One of the reasons Clemson was able to win a NC was the fact that they only have to play 3 or 4 tough teams a year.

I want to see Oregon up against the best teams too but only 4 or so times a year to minimize injury.

• Great post! 1

First time poster. Thank you all for letting me in. First, Don Reed is my favorite football coach is Duck history. JK. That 1976 game against USC at Autzen is still burnt into my brain. It's still not the cheerleaders fault. Anyway, I like Kamikaze Kid's idea of a PAC-16; however, I think the focus it too much on football. A viable PAC-16 must have balance between basketball and football and needs to add Oklahoma State, San Diego State, Boise State, Fresno State, Gonzaga, and St. Mary's to balance between the two sports.

Television  will be looking for a total package, football and basketball. To me, a package like this secures the West Coast in both, and makes the PAC-16 has a whole a very viable conference  The PAC-10 needs to look at a bigger picture than just football. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Fathertime, I love how your spin on what I call us "Greybeards" as a great posting name.  Do post often, and WELCOME!

Mr. FishDuck

I guess I'm still worried about Lanning. Why would a 36 year old continue to coach a team that plays in the "Hooterville"  conference if some sort of change isn't made?

I believe that he IS what we have been looking for and am making the 1,000 mile round trip from Sacramento three times this year, plus seeing Oregon at CAL. 

How do we keep him, and the recruits? We are starting to see the fall out now.

IMG_0261.JPG

The BIG question is will the new travel expectations in the larger BIG create more losses for all teams. Will the Cali schools lose games they should win because they have to travel so far. Will the old BIG schools lose more because they have to travel to Cali now?

If so all of the sudden Oregon dominating and not losing is the team which can't be denied a playoff birth, while the BIG cannibalizes their chance. Just another scenario to consider.

These are student athletes with more expectations and less maturity than the professional leagues with these expectations. This is uncharted territory, and nothing is guaranteed.

• Thumbs Up 4

In the NCAA basketball tournament it is readily acknowledged that traveling across several time zones is a disadvantage.  Why would football be any different? 

• Thumbs Up 2

Oregon did well under Chip in a down Pac 12 so a watered down Pac 12 with added teams should still get the Ducks in the CFP if they win out or at least with one loss and a marque win. 

Until we know what the future plans are for the CFP format then it's really hard to make point for expansion or remaining in the Pac and adding some teams.

One scenario that's interesting is if the BG1 adds Or, Wa, Ca, Stanford along with USC and UCLA. You would think that the west coast schools would play each other on a yearly basis. That's 5 games on the west coast which is normal. Add 3 OOC games and 4 BG1 tie in games. Figuring hopefully that the BG1 tie in games are 2 away and 2 home would mean that only two trips a season would be needed. That's not really that much of a deal breaker IMO. 

So much unknown but it's fun to speculate. 

Edited by GODUCKS15
  • Go Ducks! 2
  • Great post! 1

On 7/31/2022 at 11:56 AM, Fathertime said:

I guess I'm still worried about Lanning. Why would a 36 year old continue to coach a team that plays in the "Hooterville"  conference if some sort of change isn't made?

I believe that he IS what we have been looking for and am making the 1,000 mile round trip from Sacramento three times this year, plus seeing Oregon at CAL. 

How do we keep him, and the recruits? We are starting to see the fall out now.

IMG_0261.JPG

"How do we keep him, and the recruits? We are starting to see the fall out now."   I have no Idea.  If Ducks win the Pac-12, and play Georgia tough, say goodbye to Lanning.  He will head to the SEC or BIG with the first decent head coaching position open.  I never thought about that until you asked.  

On 7/31/2022 at 12:33 PM, Haywarduck said:

The BIG question is will the new travel expectations in the larger BIG create more losses for all teams. Will the Cali schools lose games they should win because they have to travel so far. Will the old BIG schools lose more because they have to travel to Cali now?

If so all of the sudden Oregon dominating and not losing is the team which can't be denied a playoff birth, while the BIG cannibalizes their chance. Just another scenario to consider.

These are student athletes with more expectations and less maturity than the professional leagues with these expectations. This is uncharted territory, and nothing is guaranteed.

I doubt the networks are going to allow a B1G of SEC team be excluded. Even if both conferences best team have 2 losses. They are getting in over a 1 loss Pac/Big-12  team. They are getting in over an undefeated mid major. 

On 7/31/2022 at 12:57 PM, Log Haulin said:

I doubt the networks are going to allow a B1G of SEC team be excluded. Even if both conferences best team have 2 losses. They are getting in over a 1 loss Pac/Big-12  team. They are getting in over an undefeated mid major. 

I think there will be an 8-team playoff now.   2 from the BIG, 2 from the SEC, Notre Dame, Pac 10 champ, Big 12 champ, ACC champ.  or something very similar.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 11:56 AM, Fathertime said:

We are starting to see the fall out now.

Nope, we saw it with one recruit.  Or it may be the reason he is using?  After all, if you don't want to go somewhere, any reason will work and that was a timely one.

Once Dano shows the world on the field what Oregon is about?  Some verbals might be turned, and Oregon will do just fine in recruiting this year.  (And that is an awesome picture!)

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/31/2022 at 12:56 PM, Pac10again said:

He will head to the SEC or BIG with the first decent head coaching position open. 

No...he won't, IMHO.  He believes he can win a 'Natty here, has the staff, the facilities--and a loaded team with talent compared to rebuilding somewhere else, and trying to win in the SEC.

After he wins us a 'Natty....he will go to the NFL.  (You heard it here first!)

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/31/2022 at 1:23 PM, Charles Fischer said:

No...he won't, IMHO.  He believes he can win a 'Natty here, has the staff, the facilities--and a loaded team with talent compared to rebuilding somewhere else, and trying to win in the SEC.

If your prediction comes true, and Lanning wins us a natty, then bolts to the NFL (which is plausible) then you Mr. FishDuck will go down as a legend.  

On 7/30/2022 at 4:29 PM, 12Duck72 said:

Welcome, thanks for your own great comments. 

I admit, I would love nothing more than to see a conference formed from the PAC, Big 12 and ACC that would not only compete with the arrogant B1G (I know that, living in Ohio) and SEC, but beat them. 

But you're right, Oregon just might be in a position where they have to take and invite to the B1G. 

Now remember the Oregon record against B1G teams is all against top half teams, maybe top 1/4 teams and when top PAC teams have played top B1G teams in the Rose and other bowls the PAC has more than held it's own.

Now one thing I don't think the PAC can change. That is how we are perceived back east.

Except for the too short time I lived in Oregon, I've lived east of the Mississippi my whole life. I'm 65 and my whole life the PAC has never been respected. 

Even when the evidence is against the insistence that the PAC is an inferior conference, like bowl records (declining recently but still 500 since 2000) NCAA tourney wins in B-ball... it doesn't matter to folks back east.

There is s very big bias against west coast athletics. Even in the pros the west coast is not respected. 

When west coast teams join east coast conferences because they think they "have to" to compete, it only feeds that perception. 

For now, I'm still hoping for a merger of conferences not named B1G or SEC that will put a better product on the fields and courts and end up beating them.

There is still time for that. But the thinking has to be long term.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/31/2022 at 4:23 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I don't think he goes to the NFL for a while even if he wins a Natty.  The impression I get is that he wants to build a power house like Bama that becomes a mainstay in the playoff.  Once that happens, I imagine he will test the waters in the NFL, but I'm guessing once he's won 3 or more titles.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

All I know is he won't be stepping down to the dawgs when he leaves, warms my heart, and give me great comfort!

• Go Ducks! 1

On 7/31/2022 at 1:51 PM, OhioDuck said:

Welcome, thanks for your own great comments. 

I admit, I would love nothing more than to see a conference formed from the PAC, Big 12 and ACC that would not only compete with the arrogant B1G (I know that, living in Ohio) and SEC, but beat them. 

But you're right, Oregon just might be in a position where they have to take and invite to the B1G. 

Now remember the Oregon record against B1G teams is all against top half teams, maybe top 1/4 teams and when top PAC teams have played top B1G teams in the Rose and other bowls the PAC has more than held it's own.

Now one thing I don't think the PAC can change. That is how we are perceived back east.

Except for the too short time I lived in Oregon, I've lived east of the Mississippi my whole life. I'm 65 and my whole life the PAC has never been respected. 

Even when the evidence is against the insistence that the PAC is an inferior conference, like bowl records (declining recently but still 500 since 2000) NCAA tourney wins in B-ball... it doesn't matter to folks back east.

There is s very big bias against west coast athletics. Even in the pros the west coast is not respected. 

When west coast teams join east coast conferences because they think they "have to" to compete, it only feeds that perception. 

For now, I'm still hoping for a merger of conferences not named B1G or SEC that will put a better product on the fields and courts and end up beating them.

There is still time for that. But the thinking has to be long term.

Thanks for the comments. I agree with what you said. I think a big part of the problem is programs out here have done a terrible job of combating the East Coast bias. There's a lot of good football out here but when the conference leaders just sit back and do nothing for years and watch the BIG 10 and SEC sprint by it's frustrating. Remember the Hansen years? I do.

I've been a Duck fan for almost 30 years (yikes! I'm getting old). One of the things I love about Oregon is they didn't  just settle on being a team out West. They got with Mr. Knight and Nike and figured out how to brand their program. Remember the Times Square billboard? Remember when Oregon was the only team that was doing uniform combos and everyone was laughing at them? Now all sports teams are doing it. See what I mean?

Instead of everyone out West taking shots at "Uncle Phil" and "The Paris Hilton of College Football" maybe they should have listened and learned how a small liberal college in Eugene Ore-gone turned itself into a national brand. Then maybe we wouldn't be in this position and schools would be trying to join us instead of the other way around. 

I agree, I wish we could figure out a way to keep things together but I fear that ship has sailed. Merging with the BIG 12 won't help much and I feel the ACC  is going to split up like the Pac at some point. Who knows how this will all end but I believe because of Mr. Knight and Oregon's leadership building the brand for all these years has put the Ducks in a great position to remain relevant. I wish the "Conference of Champions" had done the same.

• Applause 1