Mic

Dalton Kincaid Controversy

According to KPNW radio this morning SI magazine reporting that a Utah official says one college team (Alabama implied) has offered TE Dalton Kincaid a $ million buckeroos to transfer.  If you didn't see the game last Saturday evening , Kincaid had 16 catches (1 TD) in an incredible demonstration on how not to cover a TE, by USC.  It was the Rising-Dalton show for most of the 2nd Half.

A $ million to transfer!  Who says collegiate football isn't heading towards 'minor league' status for the NFL?  Except I don't remember reading about minor league ball players getting a $ million. Nick Saban might have a lot of 'splainin' to do.  If true, what should happen to Saban, if anything?  Where's this all headed?

(How much should Oregon 'demand' for Bo Nx?)

Edited by Mic

On 10/19/2022 at 11:36 AM, Mic said:

According to KPNW radio this morning SI magazine reporting that a Utah official says one college team (Alabama implied) has offered TE Dalton Kincaid a $ million buckeroos to transfer.  If you didn't see the game last Saturday evening , Kincaid had 16 catches (1 TD) in an incredible demonstration on how not to cover a TE, by USC.  It was the Rising-Dalton show for most of the 2nd Half.

A $ million to transfer!  Who says collegiate football isn't heading towards 'minor league' status for the NFL?  Except I don't remember reading about minor league ball players getting a $ million. Nick Saban might have a lot of 'splainin' to do.  If true, what should happen to Saban, if anything?  Where's this all headed?

SI Report about it.

KSLSPORTS.COM

Over the summer allegations swirled about possible NIL Collective tampering with a Utah football player by another school.

• Thanks 1

From the above article I snip this:

“I believe so much in it, I believe it’s the right thing,” Harlan said of NIL. “But it’s difficult to not have an enforcement mechanism when we’re running into someone who is clearly utilizing it, in some form or fashion, as inducement. And we’re not. That’s frustrating.”

I've been surprised to learn that (apparently) I am in the minority about this NIL-thing and how dangerous it is - how potentially destructive this could be to amatuer sport.  The genie's out of the bottle now and there will be no going back, I know.  But I refuse to believe this is a good thing for out colleges or High Schools because as certain as the sun rises in the East this is going to infect our HS sports programs as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Basically the same tampering allegations as those involved in the Jordan Addison to U$C incident last summer.

It stinks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seems to me that there are many ways to dodge “tampering” allegations.

Any elite player that transfers with NIL $$$$ involved could be considered a tampering violation. Gathering sufficient evidence to penalize a team is the hard part. 

On 10/19/2022 at 9:32 AM, Drake said:

Seems to me that there are many ways to dodge “tampering” allegations.

Any elite player that transfers with NIL $$$$ involved could be considered a tampering violation. Gathering sufficient evidence to penalize a team is the hard part. 

How easy can it be to hide a $ million?  Especially if the 'kid' is coming from the 'hood'. (not that Dalton is).  I'm beginning to suspect the NCAA doesn't really have the will or the teeth to do much about it yet.

On 10/19/2022 at 9:35 AM, Mic said:

I'm beginning to suspect the NCAA doesn't really have the will or the teeth to do much about it yet.

Tampering allegations generally will be levied against the 'haves' of college football.  Therefore the NCAA will not find a problem.  Wait until the Sisters of the Poor are accused, enforcement on them will come down like a ton of bricks.

Too cynical?

• Haha 2

On 10/19/2022 at 9:43 AM, McDuck said:

Tampering allegations generally will be levied against the 'haves' of college football.  Therefore the NCAA will not find a problem.  Wait until the Sisters of the Poor are accused, enforcement on them will come down like a ton of bricks.

Too cynical?

No.  Just realistic.  It's how the world works, unfortunately.  It seems to me that if these allegations are true, the NCAA has been handed a softball to deal with this issue right here and now, to get a  handle on it before it gets further out of control.  We'll see.

I get college athletes are not under contract and are not employees, but to receive offers to transfer during the season is tampering.  If the team wants to offer players money, do it during the transfer portal windows.

Yahoo Sports Dan Wentzel

College coaches and leaders have dubbed these offers as “inducements” and called it “tampering.” A clear mind would see it as something else — a cause for celebration. A college kid being offered life-changing money is a great thing, not a problem in need of federal regulation.

If it wasn't tampering, then why does every professional sports league make it against the rules to contact players while under contract?

• Thumbs Up 1

Wouldn't it be cool if a kid took the deal and then ratted out the school for tampering and transferred back!

• Thumbs Up 1

"I am shocked... SHOCKED to find gambling going on in this institution!" "You can collect your winnings at the door Louie."

• Haha 1

On 10/19/2022 at 8:36 AM, Mic said:

(How much should Oregon 'demand' for Bo Nx?)

I’ve been saying it now for a while.  It’s NOT college football anymore 

On 10/19/2022 at 10:34 AM, debbieduck said:

I’ve been saying it now for a while.  It’s NOT college football anymore 

Sadly, not.  

If our CFB programs are making so much $$ off these young men, why are they still charging tuition for the rest of the campus?  If getting a scholarship to attend college virtually free isn't enough to entice and reward these young men to come play football what's that say about the value of that college education?

Good Lord!  How did it all come to this?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not posting this as fact but just showing this kind of stuff was being talked about last April  

WWW.UTEHUB.COM

University of Utah Sports Fan Community and Forum

I have no problems with players getting compensated more than scholarships.  When schools are making tens and sometimes hundreds of millions of dollars for sports, the players that generate that money deserve to get their own.  The schools aren't even directly paying the athletes, so it isn't like the schools are even losing money. 

The line between college and professional athlete is very blurry.  For all but a few sports, it is business as usual.  It is those few sports that generate a lot of money, where the issues pop up. 

In professional sports, teams can't call up Lebron, Judge or Herbert and talk to them about changing teams anytime they want.  There are windows when those conversations can happen.  Same guidelines should be put in place for college athletes.

On 10/19/2022 at 12:35 PM, Tandaian said:

I have no problems with players getting compensated more than scholarships.  When schools are making tens and sometimes hundreds of millions of dollars for sports, the players that generate that money deserve to get their own.  The schools aren't even directly paying the athletes, so it isn't like the schools are even losing money. 

The line between college and professional athlete is very blurry.  For all but a few sports, it is business as usual.  It is those few sports that generate a lot of money, where the issues pop up. 

In professional sports, teams can't call up Lebron, Judge or Herbert and talk to them about changing teams anytime they want.  There are windows when those conversations can happen.  Same guidelines should be put in place for college athletes.

This.  

I think a lot of people here are struggling to accept things as they are and not how they wish them to be.  This is common to the human condition and we likely all struggle with this in some aspect of our lives. 

Players getting a share of the value from the massive amounts of money sloshing through the system of CFB is a good and just thing.  Amateurism is a fiction and it’s time we acknowledge that reality and understand who benefits from the continuation of that myth (those raking in the cash).  

What is broken is how this system is working (I saw an earlier poster say they were in the minority on this view but it seems to me there is universal agreement on this point).  The schools are, frankly, 100% to blame for this fiasco.  It didn’t take a soothsayer to anticipate SCOTUS laughing the NCAA’s amateurism claim out of court.  They had time to prepare for a reality where NIL would exist and yet clearly did nothing with that time. 

Second, the schools’ greed will continue to get in the way of what is an obviously correct solution: treat the players as employees and allow those employees to unionize.  Once that structure is in place it makes it much easier to tamp down on a lot of this craziness.  

But these schools still want to fight against the tide and whine about their plight because they fundamentally hate giving these high value athletes a dime of money that isn’t fungible (i.e., tuition and room and board).  

So channel your frustration at the schools as they are in possession of the tools needed to solve this yet steadfastly refuse to use them.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/19/2022 at 10:46 AM, Mic said:

Sadly, not.  

If our CFB programs are making so much $$ off these young men, why are they still charging tuition for the rest of the campus?  If getting a scholarship to attend college virtually free isn't enough to entice and reward these young men to come play football what's that say about the value of that college education?

Good Lord!  How did it all come to this?

Give it another year and let’s see how players who are not getting money,  block for those who are?  

Jealousy will begin to raise its head before this is over. 

On 10/19/2022 at 1:05 PM, CalBear95 said:

So channel your frustration at the schools as they are in possession of the tools needed to solve this yet steadfastly refuse to use them.  

Aren't the scholarship players receiving a 1st-class education, not to mention a free look by NFL scouts and a shot at playing professionally?  

Aren't the 'walk-on' players (not on scholarship) still walking-on in hopes of winning one and in hopes of the same scouts seeing them play for an invite to the NFL combine?

We can't have our presidents paying everybody's loans off so those paying for their education loans might just think a 'free scholarship' is pretty nice compensation for playing sports.  If you think the universities are just greedy people, well, I won't argue with that, because most of these big universities have endowments that would make the richest among us blush.  So why are they charging tuition at all for everyone else?  You'd have to ask them.

But to pay collegiate athletes to play (which, when you look at the dirty under-belly of this so-called NIL is) it smacks of greed all right. Greed on the part of everyone at the expense of amateurism which still has an important role to play in molding and shaping young lives to be better citizens of their nation.  Imo, professionalism has no business in the education of our young people, from K-12 to college. None what-so-ever.

I'm willing to concede you and I will not agree on this and that's fine.  There are others in both camps and for equally good reasons.  So be it.  Go Ducks!

On 10/19/2022 at 1:57 PM, debbieduck said:

Give it another year and let’s see how players who are not getting money,  block for those who are?  

I sure hope not debbie.  

I'd hate for that to occur (but it might!) because that could kill this golden goose once-and-for-all.   If players start letting their teammates get hurt intentionally the NCAA would be criminal to let it to continue.  And what could they do to stop it?  Pay everyone, I guess.  Or, out-law the NIL - and good luck with putting that genie back in the bottle.

(Yeeessh, I sound like a doomsday predictor.  Forgive me)   GO DUCKS!

On 10/19/2022 at 2:18 PM, Mic said:

I sure hope not debbie.  

I'd hate for that to occur (but it might!) because that could kill this golden goose once-and-for-all.   If players start letting their teammates get hurt intentionally the NCAA would be criminal to let it to continue.  And what could they do to stop it?  Pay everyone, I guess.  Or, out-law the NIL - and good luck with putting that genie back in the bottle.

(Yeeessh, I sound like a doomsday predictor.  Forgive me)   GO DUCKS!

Well I say pay everyone a base flat rate.  

On 10/19/2022 at 10:09 AM, Wood Duck said:

"I am shocked... SHOCKED to find gambling going on in this institution!" "You can collect your winnings at the door Louie."

Beat me to it.....the new-NCAA has a very Peter Lorre vibe about it.

Not entirely on topic but one has to wonder what the dynamic on campus will become?

Imagine spending 8 years earning a PhD, then spending 10 or more years teaching and developing research to get tenure, then by age 40 working your way up to $140,000 a year (rough number from the American Association of University Professors) and seeing 18 year old high school kids walking on campus getting $1 million or more per year to play 12 games of football?

How about the divide between the general student body at a place like Texas A&M where 25 recruits were given full scholarship and living expenses plus a reported million a piece for playing 12 games of football a year - against the rest of the student body who are reportedly playing up to $32,000 a year in-state: roughly $13k for full tuition, books, fees, and $19k for full living expenses and budget (and as much as $58,000 for out-of-state kids) according to CollegeCalc org.

Not taking either side here particularly, just wondering the dynamic? It's been many years since my college days; but, while it was recognized they did have a bit of "special status" the athletes I knew generally didn't appear to have an experience dramatically different than the rest of the student body.

With the money thrown around today, I wouldn't even see why a lot of these A&M kids don't just hire someone for a couple thousand a term to go to school for them? Wouldn't cut to much into that million and would free up a lot of time for football (and fun).

Edited by AnotherOD

On 10/19/2022 at 2:11 PM, Mic said:

Aren't the scholarship players receiving a 1st-class education

It's still a good education but in truth most College Athletes, especially football, can't really pick any major they want. They need to pick a major easy enough for them to be able to complete the course work while also allowing them to take on the rigors of the athletic side of the program. 

It used to be that they could realistically do anything they wanted to do but now they are required to do so much more outside of just the academics. The notion that football players in particular only have "20 hours" of practice time might seem fine on paper but those 20 hours are formal practice and meeting time. Athletes are expected to do workouts, extra player organized practice time, and film study all on their own. 

Overall they are working over 40 hours a week for just football during the season. Even in the off-season they are expected to continue their strength and conditioning, both formally and informally, their player-led workouts, and film study, but at this point its not for an opponent but on themselves. And in the off-season they are even expected to show up for some limited meetings. 

This really is a full time job before you add in the school work which again isn't necessarily the major they would have picked but rather the major that is most comparable for them with football. There are obviously exceptions to the rule, as there are players who achieve degrees in majors that are typically not football friendly but for the most part student athletes find themselves picking for a restricted selection of majors. 

Personally... I majored in Medieval Studies, Religious Studies and Geography. Probably one of those majors could be football friendly but certainly not all three at once. 

On 10/19/2022 at 3:04 PM, David Marsh said:

It's still a good education but in truth most College Athletes, especially football, can't really pick any major they want. They need to pick a major easy enough for them to be able to complete the course work while also allowing them to take on the rigors of the athletic side of the program. 

Personally... I majored in Medieval Studies, Religious Studies and Geography. Probably one of those majors could be football friendly but certainly not all three at once. 

I wouldn't begin to know how hard it would be to attend college while putting in all the practice hours and play-studies today's athletes have to do as well as all the extra-curricula activities expected of them for the university.  I would imagine many good 'athletes' get overwhelmed with it all and may fall by the way side - which is really sad.  So, you make a very good point David.

Nice area of studies, btw.  I'd loved the first major to go along with my engineering studies.  I was probably better cut out to major in something like that ( the classics! ) rather than engineering but probably would have ended up with making less $ to feed all my greedy appetites!

Edited by Mic

I think it is more of what one makes of it? I see the argument but it doesn't always totally compel me (and this may not be a totally popular opinion which I understand).

While full-time at least used to be 12 credits (usually 4 classes) it was 9 credits and 3 classes for athletes (at least during the season).

The few athletes I encountered generally saved a few of their easy classes for the term their sport was in season. Both OSU's Jaydon Grant and UO's Bo Nix have been interviewed this year on Portland radio and the host has talked to them on their class work and it has been mostly yoga, advanced yoga, ballroom dancing, or an odd online survey class. I think one of the two guys even dropped yoga for online yoga (however that works) because getting to yoga class a couple times a week just wasn't working.

More difficult course work is saved for the rest of the year and the NCAA has some pretty strict rules about the amount of time a kid can spend doing anything sports related during those months.

For example, I think the S&C coach is the only guy in the coaching staff that is able to talk to kids from like January to summer and over summer the coaches are limited to 8 hours a week. They do train and try to stay in shape and do voluntary summer work, but don't a lot of college age kids do something similar because in part it is a benefit to their health (and self-esteem) and to a degree it is considered something people enjoy and/or is social or otherwise see benefit in, rather than something just done as required for compensation)?

I think it is fine to pay college athletes and always was surprised more "general expense" money wasn't a regular part of a scholarship (a pair of shoes, a movie, a trip home, dinner out, Netflix, a new phone); but, I still don't see it as close to working a job 40 hours a week year around. It still is playing a sport and practicing a sport. It isn't billing, or coding, or nursing, or delivery, retail sales, office work, or building roads and bridges. A lot of it is shooting hoops, playing ball, exercising, watching tape, and hanging out with your buddies.

Edited by AnotherOD

On 10/19/2022 at 4:57 PM, debbieduck said:

They’re just getting a NFL education. It’s the same thing they’ll deal with at the next level. The difference in pay between the stars and the special teams guys is vast. It’s also why most of the younger guys blow everything they make. They want to keep up with the big boys with regard to status symbols like houses, cars, etc.

Does everyone who plays now get paid?  I have never researched this.  I have had three daughters all grow up.   And when one is being treated special- look out.  

On 10/19/2022 at 10:03 AM, Tandaian said:

I get college athletes are not under contract and are not employees, but to receive offers to transfer during the season is tampering.  If the team wants to offer players money, do it during the transfer portal windows

NIL is not to be used as an inducement to recruit players by the school - doing so at any time is a violation. 

On 10/19/2022 at 10:09 AM, Steven A said:

Wouldn't it be cool if a kid took the deal and then ratted out the school for tampering and transferred back!

The problem is the collectives operate independent of the school. If a player did set up a sting on another school, would he have evidence to prove the school was involved? How is the NCAA going to punish the institution for what a booster's collective did independently? 

The NIL is a mess, and the NCAA needs to move fast to figure out a way to regulate it as best they can. It's empowered booster collectives to recruit HS kids and offer them a NIL deal they will get when they sign the letter of intent. They can also contact a family member or friend and let them know if a player transfers, they will get a NIL deal.

The school and coaching staffs can play stupid and say we had no idea what our boosters were doing, while claiming other schools are trying to induce their players into the portal. 

it's a circle of stupidity

On 10/19/2022 at 4:03 PM, debbieduck said:

Does everyone who plays now get paid?  I have never researched this.  I have had three daughters all grow up.   And when one is being treated special- look out.  

No not everyone gets NIL. If you're a lowly 3-star who plays in the 3rd and long passing down Dime defense package you're not to marketable or much of an impact player.

The QBs have value in being marketable and as an impact player. Booster's collective will pay them the most. But if you're a 5-star DL you can get paid for being an impact player - they just say the money is for your Name-Image-Likeness. 

The loophole here the booster's collectives can pay the best players to play for their team to load up on talent. They get away with it by saying the money isn't paying them to play - it's for the NIL. They can hold an event at a car lot the players attended and sign autographs for 5 people and pay them $50K or whatever for that. 

There is no declared matrix of market values that defines what player is worth and if they are being overpaid for their Name-Image-Likeness. So, it comes down to how much money do we have to spend on the roster? The ones with the most to spend get the best teams

Possibly the biggest problem right now is not the existence of NIL - it's the lack of many rules regarding the NIL, or any ability by the NCAA to enforce what few rules there are.  

The NFL pays every player, and there is inequity in what different guys get, but they have very well defined rules.  One team owns your rights for a certain amount of time; guys come into the league through the draft; you can't just walk away from a contract to another team; teams can't tamper with a player under contract, etc.

The NCAA has few rules and is toothless to enforce any they actually have.  Until all teams are operating under the same rules, the rules are well defined, there's a reasonably level playing field at least for the top 25 - 50 teams, and there's an enforcement mechanism, this will continue to be a complete free-for-all mess.

Right now, the only real enforcement mechanism is the conferences.  If Bama is who tampered with a Pac-12 player, you think the SEC is going to do anything?  Heck no.  But if Bama tampers with a Georgia or LSU player, you watch the SEC have a big problem with it.

I don't want to sound too sarcastic here. But I sure don't know many one hundred employee companies where the employees make 59 k a year, their direct bosses make 159k to 300k, the next level management makes at least a mil, and the big boss makes 5-10 million. 

I don't see millions of people cheer regular front line employees either.  For their forty hour a week plus efforts to generate a  world class product.  It just doesn't happen often.  

Some sixty institutions are doing exactly that.  I'm not socialist, but in the entertainment industry, the front line players get paid handsomely because they generate Billions in revenue. 

Sound familiar?  

The players create memories we hold dear the rest of our lives.  They generate value few people could even dream of creating.  

Do I want a bunch of prima Donna boys hoisting their lifestyles? No.  But those boys do things we couldn't do in if we tried a million times.  We cherish the moments.  We spend hours a week talking about it.  How many of the other 15,000 regular students in Eugene do that?  

So why are we complaining about the recruitment of some of the finest moments a human being will experience?  Those kids wouldn't create such memories if they practiced five hours a week, watching no film, and spending no time getting bigger stronger and faster.  

I haven't seen one intramural stud make plays on Sports Center.  I never will.  He doesn't work as hard as these student athletes do.  He doesn't sacrifice the college experience the regular students relish in.  

That has value we want to out a ceiling on.  Yet expect world class performances.  

I didn't use to feel this way about it. But we didn't see NFL type money being thrown around at the college level till recently either.  

Is it proper that colleges try to breach contracts signed? No.  But are these contracts a reflection of the value these kids bring to life these days?  Nope. 

There is a balance between what we want, and what reality is these days.  The industry is a multi Billion Dollar Enterprise.  It isn't Kansas with Toto.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/19/2022 at 5:23 PM, DazeNconfused said:

No not everyone gets NIL. If you're a lowly 3-star who plays in the 3rd and long passing down Dime defense package you're not to marketable or much of an impact player.

The QBs have value in being marketable and as an impact player. Booster's collective will pay them the most. But if you're a 5-star DL you can get paid for being an impact player - they just say the money is for your Name-Image-Likeness. 

The loophole here the booster's collectives can pay the best players to play for their team to load up on talent. They get away with it by saying the money isn't paying them to play - it's for the NIL. They can hold an event at a car lot the players attended and sign autographs for 5 people and pay them $50K or whatever for that. 

There is no declared matrix of market values that defines what player is worth and if they are being overpaid for their Name-Image-Likeness. So, it comes down to how much money do we have to spend on the roster? The ones with the most to spend get the best teams

Thank you for taking the time to explain that to me.  I am wishing now I wouldn’t have asked.  Lol

On 10/19/2022 at 8:58 AM, Mic said:

From the above article I snip this:

“I believe so much in it, I believe it’s the right thing,” Harlan said of NIL. “But it’s difficult to not have an enforcement mechanism when we’re running into someone who is clearly utilizing it, in some form or fashion, as inducement. And we’re not. That’s frustrating.”

I've been surprised to learn that (apparently) I am in the minority about this NIL-thing and how dangerous it is - how potentially destructive this could be to amatuer sport.  The genie's out of the bottle now and there will be no going back, I know.  But I refuse to believe this is a good thing for out colleges or High Schools because as certain as the sun rises in the East this is going to infect our HS sports programs as well.

It is no longer amateur sports!  College is professional sports now.  That is the definition of payed players.  

We have been debating the NIL changes in collegiate sports for many months now.  Nothing has changed in the effect of NIL, the NCAA's lack of control over it, the universities' understanding of the impact of it, or even our business/fiscal or sociological arguments for and against the damn thing.  And ultimately what?  Nothing.  Nothing has changed.  The U.S. Constitution is what it is and the courts will (or should...another story) provide the sideline boundaries for who does what to whom and when during the play of this NIL game.

For me, the ONLY entity with any control over what happens with the NIL program is the fan.  With feet, fingers, funds and affection, when the fan takes leave from enjoying the sport and what it becomes, then and only then will amateur sports return to campus.  And I also believe that pay for NIL (PfP...let's call it what it is) will go the way of the AFL...smaller fish subsumed in a larger tank of professional sports.   It's already begun, by the way.  The "super conferences" are becoming a reality.  Soon, I foresee super-super conferences subsuming the best (paid) teams as hundreds of schools drop by the fan and fun relevance wayside.

I, for one, will cheer that day.  It's all personal preference, of course.  I stopped watching professional sports years ago when greed and hundreds of millions were paid to players and billions of dollars paid out to teams aggravated my sense of worth from giving them any attention, or even a single dime of my hard earned, every-day-Joe's salary.  Collegiate sports is going there.

Charles has suggested that we still have a couple of years to enjoy college sports in much the same way we always have.  I've come to agree.  But, as in seemingly all things in this society, change is occurring at warp speed.  Before long, I'll be taking my rooting interests to true amateur/club sports.  I'm thinking rugby might a good replacement.  Player inducements usually range in the 6-pack area.  That is...until NIL from breweries screw that sport up, too.  LOL. 😉  

Meanwhile....I'm still on board.  GO DUCKS!

1597258212_OregonChampions.jpg.49efa5daed50aec24a73aa993d2b37ea.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2