Charles Fischer

I Should NOT Enjoy USC Fans' Misery So Much....

....but I never said I was noble.

12052356.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Mr. FishDuck

12052468.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

12052637.jpeg

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

12052340.png

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

Mr. FishDuck

• Haha 5
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

USC 1.jpg

USC 2.jpg

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

USC 3.jpg

USC 4.jpg

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/22/2023 at 11:45 AM, Charles Fischer said:

And they tried to avoid Oregon but that didn't work out.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

What a great gritty win by the Utes. 4 in a row for a team with character galore against a bunch of posers. (And hosers.)

As David noted, SC players show up to be interviewed after Ws but not Ls. Great way to install character in your players, right Riley?

And hats off to the Heisman winner who did not stick around to congratulate the other team including a 2-star QB who engineered the win.

BTW - It's official. Rising and all-conference TE Kuithe, are both out for the season. Many believe that Rising will use this as a red shirt year and be back in 2024. If so, he will probably lead Utah to a B12 title.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 10

The annoying “fight on” fans in meltdown mode are entertaining.

However, they should be used to watching an average football team in the Coliseum. Bringing in a top QB was never going to solve all of their weaknesses.

They have improved, but did they really think they were one of the top teams in the nation?

Btw fight on fans, all the blue bled out of your program years ago. 

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

WWW.LATIMES.COM

Year 2 of the Lincoln Riley era at USC has been marred by back-to-back losses that have destroyed their...

I posted about this in a different thread but it is so much fun that I'll post it here also!!!

• Cool 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 2

Trojan tears sweeten my coffee...

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

Mr. FishDuck

Fitting that the one USC poster doesn't even know that Utah's coach is named Whittingham, not Whittington.

• Applause 1

Cognitive_dissonance posted that he’d booked a room in El Paso. Probably should move his res from Dec to next week so he can enjoy the Dia De Los Muertos parade which should feature his team with a float.

• Haha 3
  • Mic drop 1

That guy who GAVE his tickets away better watch out he isn't sued for price gouging!

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 2

College Football Fans Calling for Lincoln Riley To Leave USC For NFL After Latest Loss

Utah has now beaten USC in four-straight meetings

12052231.jpg

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-football-fans-calling-for-lincoln-riley-to-leave-usc-for-nfl-after-latest-loss

Lincoln Riley says he plans to stay at USC for 'long time,' explains disappointing skid

Rumors circulated this week that Riley would leave USC to coach in the NFL in the future. 

247SPORTS.COM

Rumors circulated this week that Riley would leave USC to coach in the NFL in the future.

• Haha 1

Remember, this is the guy who didn't leave OU because they were going to the SEC.

And then, off to the BIG without a U of O or UW.

How's that working out for you?

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/22/2023 at 1:34 PM, Steven A said:

How's that working out for you?

The KING of the one-liners.  We love you Steven A.!

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/22/2023 at 12:07 PM, Jon Joseph said:

BTW - It's official. Rising and all-conference TE Kuithe, are both out for the season. Many believe that Rising will use this as a red shirt year and be back in 2024. If so, he will probably lead Utah to a B12 title.

I feel Rising is back to play another year of college football. I can certainly see that he feels like there is some unfinished business with his time at Utah. Sure two conference championships but two Rose Bowl failures. 

Next season he'll have a chance to make the playoff. NIL does change the equation these days as well... If Division Street didn't pony up to pay Bo would he have been back this year? Probably not ...

It's not the only factor in returning but it does give those stars who would be inclined to another season the feeling of financial security in doing so because they'll get paid and not miss out on NFL dollars. 

Rising will be back next year. We might play him in the playoff. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/22/2023 at 1:19 PM, NJDuck said:

College Football Fans Calling for Lincoln Riley To Leave USC For NFL After Latest Loss

Utah has now beaten USC in four-straight meetings

12052231.jpg

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-football-fans-calling-for-lincoln-riley-to-leave-usc-for-nfl-after-latest-loss

Lincoln Riley says he plans to stay at USC for 'long time,' explains disappointing skid

247SPORTS.COM

t USC keeps signing those checks... Paying that mortgage should be foremost in his mind.

• Go Ducks! 1

After Riley, Helton, Sark, Kiffin, Hackett and understand that Carroll was a third choice it's obvious that the powers that be at USC are totally messed up. 

Even their academic rating in US news is slipping......of course with so many scandals to handle it's hard to run a college. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/22/2023 at 2:45 PM, fred flintstone said:

After Riley, Helton, Sark, Kiffin, Hackett

Yeah—it’s simply a culture problem at U$C.

From the administration, to the football field, to the gynecology dept, the arrogance is blinding.

Riley reschedules spring practice so he can watch golf

Lincoln Riley Buys $17M Mansion in Palos Verdes (an hour commute to U$C)

On 10/22/2023 at 11:45 AM, Charles Fischer said:

And the two bottles of Power Juice aren't talking.

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/22/2023 at 1:19 PM, NJDuck said:

247SPORTS.COM

Best case scenario is that Riley stays with USC for the move to the B1G.

Bad scenario is that he flips to the NFL and the Trojenz hire a good defensively minded coach.

Worse case scenario is that when he flips, the Chargers fire Staley and Justin gets stuck with him for 5 years.

• Oh no! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Best case scenario, Riley leaves and USC promotes Grinch.

• Haha 2

On 10/22/2023 at 3:11 PM, Annie said:

two bottles of Power Juice aren't talking.

Because they aren't allowed to.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

SUC’s next game is with Cal. Another tough defensive team with just enough offense to move the ball on a bad defense.

Expect even more hilarious melt down heartbreak this week.

• Like 1

Another option - Riley leaves USC to take a job at Disneyland playing Mickey Mouse.

• Haha 2

When asked who would play in the Pac-12 Championship game--John Canzano went through the teams and came up confused and figured tiebreakers would come into play.  Except for USC....

...and he stated that "USC won't be in Las Vegas unless they buy tickets."

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

Mr. FishDuck

We absolutely should enjoy it.  Every time USC does a face plant an angel gets its wings!

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/23/2023 at 12:59 PM, kirklandduck said:

Every time USC does a face plant an angel gets its wings!

Looks like Hell will have to give up some of its residents to fill the "wing" quota.

• Haha 1

On 10/23/2023 at 12:34 PM, Charles Fischer said:

"USC won't be in Las Vegas unless they buy tickets."

I just realized the "win prediction meter" went to 100% Utah after sc made it 32 - 29 with time left on the clock and sc having to send out their D.

• Yikes! 1

Didn’t the football writers overwhelmingly pick USC to win the conference this season? Shows how much they know about the sport they cover…

I think a valid question out there right now is who would even want the USC job that in turn USC wants??? 

They need a coach who doesn't actually care about the Hollywood element. Who is going to work hard and outwork his competition on the field and on the recruiting trail. 

They need a Dan Lanning or Jonathan Smith. I know the Beaver's recruiting classes aren't shocking anyone but they are good for OSU standards and he knows how to use the portal. 

But does USC want either of those coaches? Fans might but they don't have the flash the higher ups want and beyond that I seriously doubt either would want the USC job. 

USC wants splashy hires, like Riley, just like how they like splashy transfers and splashy recruits. They certainly have the stars in their eyes down there. 

The culture is entitled and doesn't want to work... And in this day and age talent alone isn't enough. 

• Applause 3

On 10/23/2023 at 8:10 PM, David Marsh said:

I think a valid question out there right now is who would even want the USC job that in turn USC wants??? 

They need a coach who doesn't actually care about the Hollywood element. Who is going to work hard and outwork his competition on the field and on the recruiting trail. 

They need a Dan Lanning or Jonathan Smith. I know the Beaver's recruiting classes aren't shocking anyone but they are good for OSU standards and he knows how to use the portal. 

But does USC want either of those coaches? Fans might but they don't have the flash the higher ups want and beyond that I seriously doubt either would want the USC job. 

USC wants splashy hires, like Riley, just like how they like splashy transfers and splashy recruits. They certainly have the stars in their eyes down there. 

The culture is entitled and doesn't want to work... And in this day and age talent alone isn't enough. 

Great take. Yet Pete Carroll embraced the Hollywood culture and built one heck of a program.

Riley, whatever he does in regard to the glitterati or not, inherited a program from Bob Stoops and has never built his own program. 

Keeping Grinch? At Wazzu in a bad conference, Grinch did well. He was suspect, along with co-DC Schiano, at Ohio State. Did fine in the B12 at OK with a huge roster advantage. Stepped up into the PO, and Grinch was lost.

Any HC with a bit of objectivity would have let Grinch go after last season. 

I think, DUH, Riley is one heck of an OC but is not going to make it with his philosophy and, he isn't lighting it up when it comes to recruiting. His portal pickings will not make up for mediocre recruiting and a culture that does not teach toughness.

OREGON, OR ST, UW, AZ, WSU, and Utah of course, all have better HCs. None of whom are making $10M a year.

One disappointment I have with future B1G schedules is that OREGON does not play SC every season.

On 10/23/2023 at 5:05 PM, OregonDucks said:

Didn’t the football writers overwhelmingly pick USC to win the conference this season? 

Not at FishDuck.com!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/23/2023 at 2:47 PM, Washington Waddler said:

Another option - Riley leaves USC to take a job at Disneyland playing Mickey Mouse.

And he will CONTINUE to be beaten up by Donald Duck!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 3
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Riley struggles in big games both reg season & bowl games.

Funny how Colin Coward has jumped off his bandwagon.

On 10/23/2023 at 6:41 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Great take. Yet Pete Carroll embraced the Hollywood culture and built one heck of a program.

Riley, whatever he does in regard to the glitterati or not, inherited a program from Bob Stoops and has never built his own program. 

Keeping Grinch? At Wazzu in a bad conference, Grinch did well. He was suspect, along with co-DC Schiano, at Ohio State. Did fine in the B12 at OK with a huge roster advantage. Stepped up into the PO, and Grinch was lost.

Any HC with a bit of objectivity would have let Grinch go after last season. 

I think, DUH, Riley is one heck of an OC but is not going to make it with his philosophy and, he isn't lighting it up when it comes to recruiting. His portal pickings will not make up for mediocre recruiting and a culture that does not teach toughness.

OREGON, OR ST, UW, AZ, WSU, and Utah of course, all have better HCs. None of whom are making $10M a year.

One disappointment I have with future B1G schedules is that OREGON does not play SC every season.

What's been really interesting in Riley's use of the portal is that USC seems to have ranked higher in the transfer portal than Oregon but looking at the players they have prioritized has been drastically different. 

Oregon has gone after linemen on both sides of the ball and filling needs at multiple positions. I'd say outside of Burch Oregon really didn't get too many splashy transfers this last cycle. 

In the previous cycle Nix was the flashy get but we also wrangled Irving and Whittington who were kinda under the radar in terms of flash. 

But USC gets all the flashy pickups. Last season they got multiple big players from Oklahoma... Caleb Williams and Mario (?) Williams. They also grabbed that Pitt transfer that created a huge stir, Addison. They grabbed Travis Dye from us. And star Colorado receiver, Rice. 

I mean so much flash from the portal. 

But those are all offensive big weapons without an offensive line to enable them to play big. Where's the defensive firepower? Donte Williams has recruited so many DBs to USC that the joke is that they are just going to field a team of DBs and forget the line of scrimmage... And they kinda have. 

USC is so wrapped up in getting the flashy offensive weapons that they have forgotten they need the support to enable those players to thrive. 

And they're paying for it now... Which is delightful. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 1

I certainly enjoy USuCs problems........but I must add that think that the ducks will roll them up is a major mistake.  Just having a qb that can do what he does is concerning.  Average D with a great qb is still a dangerous team.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/24/2023 at 8:19 AM, FG Lumber said:

I certainly enjoy USuCs problems........but I must add that think that the ducks will roll them up is a major mistake.  Just having a qb that can do what he does is concerning.  Average D with a great qb is still a dangerous team.

I normally would agree but the big question will be “what will USC’s mindset be when they face Oregon?”

They’ve lost 2 games in a row which eliminates them from the playoffs. How will they show up against a tough Cal defense?  Then if they get rolled by UW the week before they play Oregon, will their players quit (it wouldn’t be the first time an LA team did)?

• Thumbs Up 1

Calling USC's defense average is being very generous.

• Haha 1

"

A6mLVEWk_bigger.jpg

They say USC is leaving the Pac-12 for TV money but really they’re leaving so they never ever ever have to play Utah again ever"

This is certainly something that has been batted around in SLC for the entire time since Utah beat both the Ducks twice in one year, followed by beating USC twice in one year.  It showed the rich fatcat alums/donors for U$C that they were officially eclipsed by both ORE and UTAH;  and that they would never be dominant again.

So now it is off to a conference (with an unexpected return of ORE to their nightmares) where they get to deal with far more Utah-like teams.  I always feel a bit ashamed at profound schadenfreude, but damn if it just isnt SO RIGHT concerning this school... it has gotten away with buying EVERYTHING and breaking rules (that penalty they had a few years back was pretty much meaningless) for decades.  Chickens... Roost... etc.

I had really begun to enjoy the very serious FB rivalry between Utah and Oregon... I hope they can swing a few NC games over the next decade.

I will continue to lurk here and enjoy the amazing community y'all have.  Many thanks to Charles Fischer for maintaining a wonderful board community.

• Thanks 1

On 10/22/2023 at 3:07 PM, Jon Joseph said:

And hats off to the Heisman winner who did not stick around to congratulate the other team including a 2-star QB who engineered the win.

That behavior speaks volumes. Character reveals itself in so many ways.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I guess you can't just throw anybody the head gig, and expect the ship to run smoothly. Alabama will learn that whenever Saban retires. Miami, Texas, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Florida, and Virginia Tech are aware of this. Michigan, Florida State, and Georgia know this. Ohio State has been lucky to have three straight guys to keep them rolling, but they struggled before that.

USC can't just put any guy out there. They've got many inherent advantages. But with those come inherent expectations.

On 10/24/2023 at 2:54 PM, kirklandduck said:

Calling USC's defense average is being very generous.

Participation trophy.

On 10/24/2023 at 3:40 PM, tee duke said:

Character reveals itself in so many ways.

Usually when no one is looking, here it was when the nation was looking.

• Thumbs Up 1