Log Haulin

If I Were Lanning?

If I were Lanning I would take a close look at the aTm job. I would have indepth conversations with the brass at both universities.

Oregon is solid but aTm checks all the boxes. Every coach in the country knows this is true. It's why Jimbo took the job. 

Lanning owes it to his family to look at this job more that just casually.

I hope Lanning stays put but I have my doubts.  Oregon is a great program that is up and coming as a CFB power. aTm is different though and should be taken seriously. 

Just one mans opinion.

All one has to do is look at the coaching history of the two schools and realize one is a coaching trap, and the other is a coach maker. 

Not to say Lanning isn't talented, but Oregon fosters coaches into greatness, TAM puts coaches into foster care.

If he wants to win, raise a family in a stable atmosphere, and grow as a coach, there is no better place. My bet he is a man of his word, and word is he is staying.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 7

On 11/13/2023 at 7:22 AM, Haywarduck said:

All one has to do is look at the coaching history of the two schools and realize one is a coaching trap, and the other is a coach maker. 

Not to say Lanning isn't talented, but Oregon fosters coaches into greatness, TAM puts coaches into foster care.

If he wants to win, raise a family in a stable atmosphere, and grow as a coach, there is no better place. My bet he is a man of his word, and word is he is staying.

I don't disagree with any point you made. aTm is a serious program though. And that will require Lannings due diligence. But this will come down to a family decision and rightfully so.

There is also another component in all of this, and one that few outside Oregon would know; the coaching curse for those who leave Oregon to become head coaches elsewhere.  For some reason...it rarely works out, with Andy Avalos being the latest victim.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

If I were Lanning sure I’d have conversations with aTm and check it out.  Maybe even interview.  But I think I would do this just for leverage in a contract renegotiation.  I think I would absolutely want to stay with Oregon, so long as they would play ball.  I don’t think Oregon would blink at paying Lanning a good bit more to keep him.  Would They?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/13/2023 at 7:28 AM, Charles Fischer said:

There is also another component in all of this, and one that few outside Oregon would know; the coaching curse for those who leave Oregon to become head coaches elsewhere.  For some reason...it rarely works out, with Andy Avalos being the latest victim.

giphy.gif

Forgot about that, a coach maker, and when they leave, breaker. One would actually be wise to only come to Oregon if you want to stay, this isn't so much a stepping stone program as a landing point.

If you are wanting to move up, start else where. If you are just running through, it isn't going to end well. 

One might even say Bellotti went into a funk after flirting with sc back in 2000. Careful if you are playing the stepping stone game with Oregon.

hKpXJt.gif

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Lots of rumors out there--and we know how reliable rumors can be. 😉

WWW.SPORTSLINE.COM

So as it turns out, both head coaches were fired in the wake of Texas A&M's 51-10 home blowout win against Mississippi State...

Just pay him the money and get it done by 5 PM PST this afternoon... before this crap starts to have a significant negative impact on recruiting. 

Like all of us, Duck brass had to know this would be coming, so they already should have a plan in place to deal with it. And 99+% of the time, the answer in that plan is "Mo-Money, Mo-Betta."

Just git-er-dun.

• Thumbs Up 3

UO/ Uncle Phil could just verbal with Lanning that they'll match whatever the ATM coach gets and that should be that. Everything is setting up perfectly for him here. ATM would be a high stress pressure cooker with oil tycoons playing general manager constantly in his ear telling him what to do. Hard pass.

If I were Texas A&M, I wouldn't fire a coach with a $75M payout without having a definite game plan and some ideas about who I could get and what I was going to do..  I realize by starting now, they're ahead of the end of season firings, but I would still want to have an idea of who would be interested.  It seems to me that there would already have been behind the scene conversations with potential candidates prior to the firing, but maybe that's not how it works.

Maybe Lanning has already been contacted, or maybe he isn't even one of their top candidates.  Everything we've heard is just media speculation based on potential candidates successes.  Lanning is very young and still has a lifetime of coaching ahead of him.  I just don't see him jumping ship with the way our program is progressing at this point in his career.

Tranfer portal should be ripe. aTm had a #1 class a couple years back. A ton of talent on that team. How many jump?

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

If I were Dan Lanning:  I'd stay put.  

Dan's become akin to royalty here and probably has everything he wants and needs from both Phil and the University to succeed.  A&M would be like starting all over again from scratch.  A&M is one of the largest universities in the nation (student body wise) but it's arguable which brand is larger right now: theirs or O's.

If they want an Oregon coach, the guy who filled the void from Jimbo's last job is available.  I think they would have more luck getting that guy than trying for Lanning.

85vw2i.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

What's this?  Taggert A&M?

I am not sure why people think that Texas A&M is that great of a gig.  Yes, it's in the SEC and a few years back Jimbo brought in a great recruiting class.  But aside from that, this program has been a middle of the road program for two decades.  They had a Big12 title (when they were still in that conference) back in 1998 and in their first year in the SEC, they were 11-2.  The COVID year they were 9-1.  

But going back to their entry into the Big12 in 1996, aside from the previously mentioned years; this program has been a 9-4, 8-5, 7-6 type of program year in and year out.  Yes, they have the OCCASIONAL glory win over a high ranked team but they have not had an measure of noteable success. This link is for reference to their records:

WWW.SPORTS-REFERENCE.COM

Check out the Texas A&M Aggies College Football History, Stats, Records, Polls, Bowls and More College Football Stats at Sports-Reference.com

With Oregon moving to the Big next year, I would actually see this as a step backward for DL.  He is on the edge of a Pac-12 championship, a CFP berth, and there are more than a few analysts saying Oregon could win it all. 

THAT is becoming the standard at Oregon.  Lanning is a part of something special here and I don't see him making a move to a middle of the road program.  Let's not forget that he has been with several programs where the coaches have had success by staying....

I DO think that Oregon/PK should set him up VERY WELL and make sure he is locked in for a very long time.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/13/2023 at 7:00 AM, Log Haulin said:

Oregon is solid but aTm checks all the boxes

The box marked "Decades of under-performance"? A box called "Complete culture change required"? The "Entitled Rich Booster Meddling" box? The box called "Unrealistic expectations"? The "Live in a West Texas hellhole" box?

I think the view that the ATM job is dream of all college coaches plays into the notion that life is about only money.

• Haha 3
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It gets back to where he is comfortable; is he happy at Oregon?  Now, this is yours-truly talking, but does it really matter that much whether you get 7 million from Oregon a year versus 10 million a year from TAMU?

Yeah, I know the math, but you are still going to be independently wealthy quickly where ever you go.  So if you are set either way...so where are you happy?

Lanning2_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/13/2023 at 9:09 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

I am not sure why people think that Texas A&M is that great of a gig.  Yes, it's in the SEC and a few years back Jimbo brought in a great recruiting class.  But aside from that, this program has been a middle of the road program for two decades.  They had a Big12 title (when they were still in that conference) back in 1998 and in their first year in the SEC, they were 11-2.  The COVID year they were 9-1.  

It has the potential to be a top 8 or so job.  Unlimited resources, huge pay, ripe recruiting grounds, plays in the SEC, huge stadium with reliable attendance, the thing you don't have is it doesn't matter what you do, you'll always be considered number 2 to Texas, it doesn't even matter if you are the better team, you'll always be number 2 to the lead university in the state.

I would get it if Lanning decides to leave, I'm always wondering about how coaches that are not from the west coast are going to react to the different culture around here, everything doesn't revolve around football in this part of the world like it does does in Texas or the Southeast or even parts of the midwest.  This isn't mentioning the political climate.  I'm not as worried about him leaving as I was Mario or Willie though since he isn't returning to a place he knows.  

I think it's going to be Elko or Traylor, barring those two I would look at Leipold.

• Thumbs Up 1

I heard the SDSU job is opening up.  I'm sure DL will be considered there too.  My bet is he goes there and becomes a surf instructor on the side!🤣

Come on aTm as you say is Texas's little sister and will never compete with Bama, LSU, and now Texas and Oklahoma for even the SEC West (if that's how the divisions break down) title.

DL is a smart man and will bring a new and exciting game to 3 yards and a cloud of dust B1G.  Michigan won't be able to win a game not passing in the 4th quarter in Autzen like they did last week.

On 11/13/2023 at 9:24 AM, candyduck said:

I heard the SDSU job is opening up.  I'm sure DL will be considered there too. 

EVERY job that comes up FOREVER will have Dan mentioned as a candidate.  We have get calloused up as Oregon fans; listen and take a nap.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

IF we were not one of the best teams in the country, and IF we were not loading up with elite talent, and IF Bo Nix were not the front runner to win the Heisman, and IF we were not heading to the BIG, I MIGHT be slightly concerned with the A&M rumors.

As it is, not so much.

Go Ducks-the next one matters most!

• Thumbs Up 1

Fisher had no ties to Texas when hired and by most accounts didn't really fit in. That would not be the case for the two co-favorites to replace him in UTSA's Jeff Traylor and Duke's Mike Elko. The latter is about as Texas-centric as coach can get. The East Texas native got his start at Gilmer High, leading it to three state championships and two runner-up finishes while winning Texas high school coach of the year honors four times.”

I’m more concerned with losing Will Stein, if Jeff Traylor is hired by ATM than I am in losing Lanning. Stein was on Traylor’s staff at UTSA and has Texas ties. That is BIG in Texas. 

I agree with others that the Texas A&M job is not that great (ask Jimbo Fisher).  They haven’t won a conference championship since the late 1990s.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/13/2023 at 9:42 AM, OregonDucks said:

I’m more concerned with losing Will Stein, if Jeff Traylor is hired by ATM than I am in losing Lanning. Stein was on Traylor’s staff at UTSA and has Texas ties. That is BIG in Texas. 

Great observation and reminder.  Since we have the No.1 offense in the nation--it is a real concern.

Yet, now that his expertise is established...why would Stein leave?  He will not get better talent at TAMU, and I doubt the same supporting staff as good around him.  And if the next step is to be HC someday...he can do that from Oregon pretty easily.  (As Dilly proved)

• Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

It's great the things you learn on this site.  I didn't know about Will Stein's connection with Jeff Traylor.  Yeah, I'd say this is a worry but one that Dan' will deal with when the time comes, if it does.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I also think the Oregon job is better than the A&M job. But I am a Fan. I think my team is the best job in the country. Oregon is definitely a top 10 job in my view.

Doesn't really matter what fans and analysts say or think is the better job. It matters what head coaches think. aTm is a highly coveted job in the coaching circles of college football. 

This is a real threat to Oregon. I hope Lanning views Oregon as the better job but am not sure he does. 

I hope Duck brass has a long talk with Lanning today. Puts it on the table and Lanning concludes its a no brainer.

Go Ducks!

On 11/13/2023 at 9:50 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Great observation and reminder.  Since we have the No.1 offense in the nation--it is a real concern.

Yet, now that his expertise is established...why would Stein leave?  He will not get better talent at TAMU, and I doubt the same supporting staff as good around him.  And if the next step is to be HC someday...he can do that from Oregon pretty easily.  (As Dilly proved)

Especially since Stein has done a great job developing Ty Thompson this year, from what we’ve seen in games. I’m sure Oregon could hire another great OC but I don’t love the idea that our players will have to learn another coach/system for the 3rd time in 3 years. 

Perhaps Stein (and his family?) miss Texas or he is close to Traylor? I hope he stays until he gets a head coaching opportunity. 

On 11/13/2023 at 12:42 PM, OregonDucks said:

Fisher had no ties to Texas when hired and by most accounts didn't really fit in. That would not be the case for the two co-favorites to replace him in UTSA's Jeff Traylor and Duke's Mike Elko. The latter is about as Texas-centric as coach can get. The East Texas native got his start at Gilmer High, leading it to three state championships and two runner-up finishes while winning Texas high school coach of the year honors four times.”

I agree with others that the Texas A&M job is not that great (ask Jimbo Fisher).  They haven’t won a conference championship since the late 1990s.

A+M did win a Natty. In 1939! Even I was not alive when this happened.

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

On 11/13/2023 at 12:58 PM, Log Haulin said:

I also think the Oregon job is better than the A&M job. But I am a Fan. I think my team is the best job in the country. Oregon is definitely a top 10 job in my view.

Doesn't really matter what fans and analysts say or think is the better job. It matters what head coaches think. aTm is a highly coveted job in the coaching circles of college football. 

This is a real threat to Oregon. I hope Lanning views Oregon as the better job but am not sure he does. 

I hope Duck brass has a long talk with Lanning today. Puts it on the table and Lanning concludes its a no brainer.

Go Ducks!

I humbly disagree with A+M being a threat. The Threat? When Saint Nick hangs it up.

I’m sure DL will make the correct decision and his wife and family will have a huge part of it. 

As Charles pointed out he is a rich man no matter what decision is made. 

Dan seems, on the outside at least, to be a people person with a focus on family. Looks like he has that part of life exactly where it needs to be. 

The people of Oregon, even my Beaver friends love the guy. Except of course in 2 weeks.

Don’t think he would leave it for a job with no guarantee except money which he already has. Oh and there is the 95% humidity and 90 degree temp thing.

On 11/13/2023 at 9:59 AM, Jon Joseph said:

A+M did win a Natty. In 1939! Even I was not alive when this happened.

So have Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Penn, Chicago, Army, Illinois and Cornell.  Guess we should be worried about those programs too…

• Applause 1

At these pay levels, it shouldn't make a difference, but Oregon's cost of living is rated 10% higher than Texas.

Having been to parts of Texas, I'd choose Oregon's Willamette Valley based on the weather, alone.

UO gave Lanning $4M+ a year for his first head coaching gig. The next year they bumped it up to nearly $7m a year for a Mario like year. If he gets to the playoff, I'd expect that to get bumped up again in the $10M a year range regardless of the ATMs lurking out there. I can't see him leaving the perfect situation for similar pay to have to just recreate an infrastructure all over again to just be the 3rd or 4th best team in the SEC.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 11/13/2023 at 10:01 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I humbly disagree with A+M being a threat. The Threat? When Saint Nick hangs it up.

I think it depends on timing. If it's a few years down the road and Lanning has established Oregon as a national top 5 power in the B1G with a trophy in the case, I don't know if any program at the college level will be a threat.

At that point Lanning will be fully entrenched as an Oregon Duck. Probably looking to build a legacy as Saban did at Bama. I think Lanning is capable of Saban status, only needed element is time.

But A&M is coming at him early in his HC career. That makes them a threat.

On 11/13/2023 at 9:31 AM, Charles Fischer said:

EVERY job that comes up FOREVER will have Dan mentioned as a candidate.  We have get calloused up as Oregon fans; listen and take a nap.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

My point exactly!  He isn't going to Texas A&M just like he isn't going to SDSU!  This is all just ramblings.  I never trusted Free Willie or Mario.  I trust Lanning to be a man of his word.

• Applause 1

All Dan has to do is ask Marshall Malchow about life at TAMU.  There's many reasons why Malchow left and I'm sure Dan has some pretty good insights already.

If Jeff Traylor gets that job then maybe Stein makes a lateral move and goes back to Texas but it's also a pretty major rebuild there and that fan base or as one of my Texas friends calls it, 'that cult' is not patient.  Jimbo had a good thing going at FSU and jumped for money.   Look at what that got him.  

As Dan says, the grass is damn green in Eugene.  Hope he continues to think that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jimbo takes the aTm job, lands the 1st ranked recruiting class and then coaches them to 5-7 and (so far) 6-4 records. Small wonder they would want to land a HC that could develop talent instead of squandering it. 

I just don't see DL wanting to leave what he is building at Oregon for a couple extra mill a year and the headaches that taking that program on would entail. Sure, when Saban (sooner) or Smart (later) step away, expect those programs to come after Lanning full throttle. We can all worry then.

The concerns about losing Stein seem legit, but propably not just a lateral move to another OC job. The day will come where he gets a HC gig. The Ducks will be OK. There was some consternation about losing Dilly to the ASU job and look how that is turning out. 

As I mentioned on another thread, my vote is for Lame Kitten. Although I find it funny that his own son Knox, a 2028 QB prospect (so that makes him like, thirteen?), was in Eugene for the U$C game. The Dad joked that he was worried Oregon was recruiting his own kid.

Let aTm throw $100M at replacing their coach. I don't think DL will nibble, much less bite.

Another item to observe is how Dan handles all this talk. This is the first big job where he is seriously mentioned, how will he respond?

The idea Lanning is a candidate for a major coaching position will happen again and again, we will see how he handles this one. We should be able to expect the same going forward, and will also be able to compare if something is amiss.

Stein would be crazy to leave for Texas A&M, but I also thought Dilly was crazy to head to ASU.

My Oregon centric glasses aren't flawless, but I do enjoy the view!

Unknown.jpeg

From the view of an agent, Dan Lanning is a hot commodity. This is a dream client and his agent knows that Oregon will get a bump in media revenue when they go to the BIG.

Dan will get his money no matter whether he stays, or goes elsewhere. It really comes down to DL’s personal goals and family interests. 

In the college football world I think that you should never take for granted that one of your top employee’s is a happy employee. However, an employer can’t have a gun held to their head every time another opportunity arises. 

Dan has a great opportunity to win a National title at Oregon. Oregon will be competitive with contract negotiations, NIL money and other resources. 

If that isn’t enough, then what is enough? 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

At the end of the day Lanning may chat with aTM but he won't leave Oregon.  Why leave behind a good thing that you've built yourself with nearly unlimited resources for a dumpster fire full of meddling boosters?

On 11/13/2023 at 2:29 PM, kirklandduck said:

At the end of the day Lanning may chat with aTM but he won't leave Oregon.  Why leave behind a good thing that you've built yourself with nearly unlimited resources for a dumpster fire full of meddling boosters?

And after the chat, DL's agent will have a chat with Rob. 

You know, if ATM gets Kalen DeBoer, maybe Jimmy Lake would be willing to go to the Huskies? Or... even better, why didn't ATM simply trade coaches? They could take Jimbo. Gosh, DeBoer leaving UW would be a dream scenario to see that meltdown in Seattle.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dan's agent is Jimmy Sexton.  Jimmy is very good at playing this game because it means more $$$$$$ for Jimmy.

On a separate note, Dan's presser is tonight @ 6:45.  I am guessing someone will asking him (looking at you James Crepea) 😉 That's how the Auburn thing was handled. 

Well it’s settled then,

WWW.YAHOO.COM

Stephen A. Smith wants to see Deion Sanders take the vacant Texas A&M head coaching job

On 11/13/2023 at 11:33 AM, Jon Joseph said:

And after the chat, DL's agent will have a chat with Rob. 

Exactly.  That's probably the most likely outcome, DL will get another extension and pay bump.  But if Rob understands correct (as he should) that's just the price of success in today's college football landscape.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/13/2023 at 9:59 AM, Jon Joseph said:

A+M did win a Natty. In 1939!

I didn't realize the Oregon connection there.

Hey Dan, give AtM a double bird and re-negotiate with the Ducks and tell them that you want $1.00 less to stay as AtM is paying Jimbo not to.

• Haha 1

On 11/13/2023 at 12:06 PM, Pocketchange said:

Stephen A. Smith wants to see Deion Sanders take the vacant Texas A&M head coaching

With all his success at Colorado, it makes sense to hand him the keys to A&M.

Maybe Shadeur will stop getting his car booted.

On 11/13/2023 at 7:28 AM, Charles Fischer said:

giphy.gif

On 11/13/2023 at 9:21 AM, Charles Fischer said:

It gets back to where he is comfortable; is he happy at Oregon?  Now, this is yours-truly talking, but does it really matter that much whether you get 7 million from Oregon a year versus 10 million a year from TAMU?

Yeah, I know the math, but you are still going to be independently wealthy quickly where ever you go.  So if you are set either way...so where are you happy?

Lanning2_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

This is the argument a wise man makes. 7 mil vs. 10 mil, so what compared to living your life the way you want for you and your family.

Oh and the old bird in the hand..things are going well for him at Oregon. It's a fine line between success and failure. 7 mil x 10 years vs. 10 mil x 3 years. Which is more?

I do wonder how long DeBoer will stay at the dawg bowl feeding off scraps because he is recruiting to a supposed elite school. If he had the talent at Texas ATM has he could do wonders. If I was up in seattle I would be worried. Your last dream coach just up and quit.

Oregon makes great coaches, Washington just destroys them. 

If I was DeBoer I would run to the highest bidder too. What says you are going to pick up another qb like Penix next year. Cash in and get that $78 million golden parachute if it goes wrong like Jimbo.

All good posts and reasoned speculation. 

But as they say in Tejas, "Hey y'all.  He ain't leavin' Oreegun."

• Thumbs Up 1