Charles Fischer

The Most Nervous EVER? This is the WORST Week...

This is the worst week for me in a very long time.  I am much more nervous, anal, agitated, distracted, pissy, annoyed, and over-the-top-loud,...than usual.

I banned a new member this week for twice being rude to me in public on the forum. Now I could argue that he should been at least reprimanded for simply being stupid...I mean, when you poke-the-bear...what do you expect?

But I realized my reaction was over-done due to my anxious state. (I released the ban, explained what he did wrong, and now we forget about it and move forward--unless he does it again)

This week is murder on my nerves.  I've talked to a ton of people who are feeling the same because the stakes are so darn high in this game.  The most since a 'Natty game nine years ago?

How about for YOU?

Fan_John Sperry.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I'm just happy to be in a playoff quarterfinal. 

Win the next 3 games and we're national champions. Can't complain.

Edited by Solar
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

The first match-up this season I was a stressed out wreck the entire week. 

This time around... I'm feeling rather calm more like how I was against USC and OSU. Both of which had the potential to beat the Ducks and both games had a few moments where it looked like the Ducks might be in for a real fight but in the end comfortable wins. 

So right now I am feeling confident in the Ducks and this staff. I do feel that the loss to Washington was a huge learning point for coaches and players. The games following that loss have been planned better and the Ducks are playing harder than ever. 

So I am feeling fairly confident at the moment but not feeling like it will be a cake walk by any means. I wasn't feeling this way at all the last time we played Washington, I spent a lot of time trying to convince myself we were better prepared than we turned out to be. 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 2

Definitely nervous.  For a little levity, here is a picture I saw.  Not sure who generated this, but lol.

669ml7xo0tu8.jpg.a3482dbe75e0406e4dc80e52b70babf4.jpg

• Haha 6
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2

On 11/29/2023 at 2:20 PM, David Marsh said:

The first match-up this season I was a stressed out wreck the entire week. 

This time around... I'm feeling rather calm more like how I was against USC and OSU

This is spot on for how I am feeling. Still a HUGE game but not nearly as stressed out as the last Hate Week. 

• Like 1

Sorry to make things worse @Charles Fischer

I'll be at the game.

The unfortunate part? On the rare occasions I've spent good money to see my favorite team live in a high stakes game . . . the result has always been ugly. Not like "we lost close" ugly, but "we just got blown out" ugly.

Perhaps by acknowledging this publicly, I've reversed the original jinx? Or, maybe now I've reversed the reverse jinx back to the original jinx? 🙂

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Oh no! 1
  • Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

669ml7xo0tu8.jpg.a3482dbe75e0406e4dc80e52b70babf4.jpgWhere can we put the toilet paper roll?

• Haha 1

On 11/29/2023 at 2:33 PM, cartm25 said:

I'll be at the game.

The unfortunate part? On the rare occasions I've spent good money to see my favorite team live in a high stakes game . . . the result has always been ugly. Not like "we lost close" ugly, but "we just got blown out" ugly.

Perhaps by acknowledging this publicly, I've reversed the original jinx? Or, maybe now I've reversed the reverse jinx back to the original jinx? 🙂

I'm not going to have any fingernails left....

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

Mr. FishDuck

I'm confident, not overly so, just confident.

Of course, that will disappear around kickoff and hopefully reappear at the end of the first quarter.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love the excitement. Feeling pretty relaxed about this game. I don't know who is going to win but I really like Oregons chances.

I do know come kickoff I will be super jacked to the point I am vibrating. This is a great time to be a Duck.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not nervous at all... because my life does not depend on it.

"Don't worry, be happy."

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I would say, as silly as it may sound, that the stakes in this game are higher in some ways than any past Duck game, simply because the combination of factors. Yes, it's not the national championship or even the CFP semis, but, it's the final Pac-12 game ever...to decide the final Pac-12 champ ever...with a CFP birth on the line...against UW of all teams.

Adding that final bit in there is a game changer, at least for me.

There is no "we'll get 'em next time."

This is it.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

There was a bit of mystique with Washington the first time. They looked untouchable. I wasn’t terribly worried about losing the first game because I knew we’d get a second chance with one loss since we scrapped divisions. 

Oregon lost, but we proved they were beatable and left a blueprint for others. It’s like when Rocky finally hit Drago in Rocky IV - “he’s cut, the Russian’s been cut and it’s a bad one.”  Now we go in and finish it. 

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 11/29/2023 at 2:33 PM, cartm25 said:

I'll be at the game.

Steven A's photo shopped picture of Nix and Penix gave me my second belly-laugh of the day.  Thanks for that.

My worst experience with spending money and watching the Ducks lose was in Glendale, AZ, vs Auburn.  I was offered $2,000 each, cash, for two tickets while outside the stadium by an Auburn fan.  Our tickets were next to friends we travelled with, so even if I had wanted to sell them, I would not have taken the offer.  Then we sat virtually surrounded by Auburn fans, too damned far from the playing field and had to endure watching the officials make wrong calls costing us the game and Chip's worst play calling of his career.

• Oh no! 2
  • Wow 1

On 11/29/2023 at 3:59 PM, Grandpa Duck said:

Steven A's photo shopped picture of Nix and Penix gave me my second belly-laugh of the day.  Thanks for that.

My worst experience with spending money and watching the Ducks lose was in Glendale, AZ, vs Auburn.  I was offered $2,000 each, cash, for two tickets while outside the stadium by an Auburn fan.  Our tickets were next to friends we travelled with, so even if I had wanted to sell them, I would not have taken the offer.  Then we sat virtually surrounded by Auburn fans, too damned far from the playing field and had to endure watching the officials make wrong calls costing us the game and Chip's worst play calling of his career.

Ugh! Brutal!

I recently discovered the root cause of my football anxiety...all the time-outs, breaks and commercials. So I did the DVR trick for the University of Oregon/Oregon State University Pacific-12 Conference annual National Collegiate Athletic Association football rivalry game. (Sure wish there were a shorter name for that game). I then watched a stress-free beatdown of the Reser Rats. Plus I had control of the replays instead of cursing what they chose to show me.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

I'm more worried about the Georgia/Alabama game than the Duck game.

I feel our Ducks will take care of the puppies. But, I'm not sure the Dawgs will handle the Tide.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/29/2023 at 6:36 PM, DUCati855 said:

I'm more worried about the Georgia/Alabama game than the Duck game.

I feel our Ducks will take care of the puppies. But, I'm not sure the Dawgs will handle the Tide.

Lol, yeah I’m the same.  Don’t get me wrong, I feel that GA is the better team.  If we play to our potential I think we handle Bama.  But I’ve seen Saban get the best of us more often than not so I’m worried.  Bama should have been beaten by Auburn. If they play like that GA will destroy them.  But they won’t play like that this weekend.  It’s likely gonna be close.  And that worries me.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I will have to watch the game at home.

I’m sure I won’t be able to control myself in a public environment if things don’t go my way.

As far as nervous goes I’m pretty good so far but I know that will change the closer we get to kick off.

Blood pressure pills will be mandatory.

After we butt stomp the mutts I will adorn my Ducks gear and head for my favorite pub.

Hopefully a smile will be on my face and an IPA down the hatch.

Go🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆s

• Thumbs Up 1

Totally feel the same Charles.   I am trying to really focus on work as a distraction and it's not working.   I keep pausing and then find my self thinking about the game.   UGH.

I am very nervous.   One thing I am hoping is that there are more Duck fans than Dawg fans and they make lots of noise.  

Can it just be Friday at 5 pm??????   Please

May I humbly suggest Vodka, or a 6-pack of righteous OREGON IPA, with a Mylanta chaser?

On the Right Coast, we have 3 additional hours of Nervous Nellie angst. I was in CA. for TG, and watching the Civil War at 5:30 was far better than watching at 8:30. 

And I did not run out of elixir adult beverages. And also Bayer aspirin. 

GO DUCKS! UW Rolls Craps in LV!

Bo wins on the Pass Line and wins the Stiff Arm Trophy. Troy gives his own stiff arm into the face of the Biletnikoff wankers.

Flounder, Bluto, Schoenstein, D-Day, Otter, Otis Day and his Knights, and even Dean Wormer, go nuts and hopefully go to Pasadena on 1/1/24.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 3
  • Like 1

To add to my above post and more to the topic at hand:  I’m not too nervous about the Ducks game yet.  The Ducks IMO aren’t just very good, they are a legit title contender.  I honestly think that the game Friday won’t be close.  Ducks take care of business and hopefully make the Playoff.  Although, come Friday afternoon I’ll likely be very nervous.  

One thing is for sure though, come Friday at 8:00 pm eastern, I’m gonna be sporting my Ducks attire, have a few cold ones, maybe some chicken wings or pigs in blankets or some such, and be Yelling Go Ducks!!!  I can hardly wait!!!

• Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 2:33 PM, Steven A said:

669ml7xo0tu8.jpg.a3482dbe75e0406e4dc80e52b70babf4.jpgWhere can we put the toilet paper roll?

My sentiments, exactly, Charles!

On 11/29/2023 at 3:33 PM, BeaverStateDuck said:

So I did the DVR trick

The only way to watch the game and save the dog!

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope I don't have the worst week ever. The worst week ever would turn into one of the worst offseason ever. 

Right now this is setting up as the best week ever. We get to have revenge on our nemesis, the dawgs. Lanning gets to prove he is the better coach, and is building the superior program.

The worst week ever is when the best week ever isn't true.

The most nervous ever would be seeing the game come down to the wire and maybe we have to rely on a non-football player to win the game. That is when I would be the most nervous.

Right now I am not nervous because I think the Ducks will make it a game where the kicker doesn't matter. They can control that and they know they need to.

I hope I am not the most nervous ever, because I may just lose it! Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 2

For some reason I'm a lot LESS nervous about this game than the last one against the Beavers.  After seeing how well the Ducks are playing these past 5 weeks I can't see UW having much of a chance unless Penix throws for 5 TD's and I really don't think that's gonna happen.  I think the oddsmakers have it about right and I think the CFP committee has it right that Oregon is the highest ranked 1-loss team.

I'm picking the Ducks to cover - and then some.  GO OREGON!

On 11/29/2023 at 2:10 PM, Charles Fischer said:

This week is murder on my nerves

Relax.  We had a fantastic year that will end with a great bowl game win or lose.  I hate UW, but I respect them and their coach.  In my currently calm state I would be pissed, but not really mad at a hard fought loss.

But:

losing last Friday would have resulted in me being banned from this board, having to sleep on the couch, and possibly going to jail for one reason or another.

Watching the aftermath of the suitcase nuke detonation in Corvallis this past weekend has made me really see how great life is.

• Applause 1

On 11/29/2023 at 2:10 PM, Charles Fischer said:

This is the worst week for me in a very long time.  I am much more nervous, anal, agitated, distracted, pissy, annoyed, and over-the-top-loud,...than usual.

I banned a new member this week for twice being rude to me in public on the forum. Now I could argue that he should been at least reprimanded for simply being stupid...I mean, when you poke-the-bear...what do you expect?

But I realized my reaction was over-done due to my anxious state. (I released the ban, explained what he did wrong, and now we forget about it and move forward--unless he does it again)

This week is murder on my nerves.  I've talked to a ton of people who are feeling the same because the stakes are so darn high in this game.  The most since a 'Natty game nine years ago?

How about for YOU?

Fan_John Sperry.jpg

I would guess the fuskie fans are feeling worse....but wait till we beat them and knock them out so we can take their place in CFP.

I recently discovered the root cause of my football anxiety...all the time-outs, breaks and commercials. So I did the DVR trick for the University of Oregon/Oregon State University Pacific-12 Conference annual National Collegiate Athletic Association football rivalry game. (Sure wish there were a shorter name for that game). I then watched a stress-free beatdown of the Reser Rats. Plus I had control of the replays instead of cursing what they chose to show me.

This is the key to happiness I have employed for years now.....and it works.

I am on double colon-clench lockdown this week.  

If I were to use a Kingsford charcoal briquet as a suppository, by Friday's kickoff, it would be a diamond.

We're talking pressure on a geologic scale.

• Haha 10
  • Great post! 2

On 11/29/2023 at 5:16 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

If I were to use a Kingsford charcoal briquet as a suppository, by Friday's kickoff, it would be a diamond.

Idontroll, I have a business proposition for you. 

• Haha 3

On 11/29/2023 at 5:16 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

I am on double colon-clench lockdown this week.  

We're talking pressure on a geologic scale.

C'mon man, cubic zirconia at best. One trip down the mountain with me in my mule train... diamonds for sure.

• Haha 1

Having grown up in and married into another family of career loggers, I have reason to vouch for Log Haulin's assertion... There are instances that most assuredly result in an immediate, although temporary, burst of explosive adrenal output.

• Salute 1

It’s very difficult to beat a good team twice in one season. I’m nervous about this game, but I’d be a lot more nervous had Oregon won the first time around!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

So I did the DVR trick

This is how I watch every game. Start it one hour late and catch up by the end (ideally). 

I'd like to say that I'm feeling calm but I woke up in the middle of night after a dream that Bo was kicking field goals for us. So clearly there is something bothering my psyche. 

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 5:37 PM, Log Haulin said:

C'mon man, cubic zirconia at best. One trip down the mountain with me in my mule train... diamonds for sure.

We'll put DeBeer's out of business!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Im more worried about Bama beating GA then the Ducks losing to the mutts of the north.

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Relax. Huskies are not being underestimated. We are going to beat their AZZes. Ducks win by three scores. Bet ducks to cover easily, have a few adult bevs and enjoy Lanning getting payback.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/29/2023 at 6:46 PM, Principal Duck said:

I woke up in the middle of night after a dream that Bo was kicking field goals

Was he making them?

• Thumbs Up 2

Thought I was going to be a total mess going into this game week, but for some reason I began thinking about both Dan’s ‘Oregon vs Oregon’ and Chip’s ‘Faceless Opponent’, and the puppies just disappeared. We’re going to win the last PAC 12 Championship. It really doesn’t matter who the opponent is.

• Applause 1

Today I watched Greg McElroy's "Always College Football" podcast on playoff selections, and Greg managed to outdo Jon Joseph, listing the scenarios that would present a path for inclusion for each of the top eight teams in the CFP rankings. My head hurt unwrapping all this, but he did have a point, or should I say rationale, for each of the team's inclusion. Of course several teams would need an improbable sequence of outcomes, but each scenario could conceivably happen.

I've just decided to sit back on Friday night and Saturday afternoon and watch how things unfold with a trusty bottle of bourbon at my side. I hope that I am not an alcoholic by Saturday at about 4:30.

So Charles, I understand the queasiness and feel it myself. And I'm betting that you'd agree with me that this would have been a great year to kick off the expanded playoffs to get them off to a rousing start.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

“To say Oregon is not the best team in the country, there would be some people to fight you on that… I would not bet against Oregon.”

Urban Myers on3 quote

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Go Ducks, Fly High!!

oregon-ducks-flying-v.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1

I look at it this way.  Would I be more stressed and nervous today if I were a Duck fan or Husky fan.  Although Huskies fans would probably never admit it, I would much rather be in the Ducks position with this team than the Huskies and their team.  For that reason, I am actually more calm this week than I was for Utah, USC and OSU.  Anything can happen in football and there are no guarantees but I actually think this one might play out like Utah.  

Bo Nix is a winner and just a great person.  Rooting for him to finish this dream season with both the Heisman and the CFP.  Leaders lead and he is a winner and a leader.   I honestly believe this is the best, most well-rounded Duck team in all my 60 years of following them and rooting for them.   

• Applause 2

I just have this awful feeling that the best referees in the world, will either make this tough on our Ducks or even take it from them. Too bad we can't import neutral referees.

I'm going to the game. Does anyone know if there are going to be any pregame festivities?

On 11/30/2023 at 7:21 AM, Fathertime said:

I just have this awful feeling that the best referees in the world, will either make this tough on our Ducks or even take it from them. Too bad we can't import neutral referees.

I was feeling pretty confident until THIS ^ post.  Those awful calls over the years came rushing back to me.  Why, o why did I give up alcohol?!

• Haha 1

On 11/30/2023 at 7:51 AM, Mudslide said:

I was feeling pretty confident until THIS ^ post.  Those awful calls over the years came rushing back to me.  Why, o why did I give up alcohol?!

Cirrhosis and wet brain? 😜 

On 11/30/2023 at 7:53 AM, Log Haulin said:

Cirrhosis and wet brain? 😜 

Oh yeah.  That's it.  I forgot.  😵‍💫

• Haha 1