DanLduck

Updated and Admin Revised: Top Rated Recruiting Class: Who Cares?!

It appears coach Lanning and staff have brought in the highest rated high school recruiting class in Oregon history.

Are we supposed to care?

Get excited?

In this day of transfer craziness and nil money madness, how many of these young men will actually become Oregon graduates?

Now don't get me wrong, I love to see all these stud blue-chip players come to Oregon, but by the time I get to know their name and number, a little history, too many have moved on elsewhere. 

I guess I'm too old school, but when Marcus gave his acceptance speech for the Heisman, I cried like he was my own son. I felt I knew him.

Today I'm not sure I even want to bother reading about this latest class. 25% will probably leave next year.

Coach talks alot about family, I guess he means adoption more than birth.

So forgive me for being a bit of a sourpuss, I'm glad we got so many new stud guys.

But does anyone else feel short changed, or is chasing the elusive Natty worth whatever the costs?

• Oh no! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I’m with you DanL but it is what it is. Hopefully this will slow as DL continues to recruit like he has. Hopefully there will be less of a need for the portal players and we can grow more from within. 

That being said we will probably always have to grab That Guy when he is available that we can’t live without.

On 12/21/2023 at 2:06 PM, DanLduck said:

But does anyone else feel short changed...

Yea, I feel this way. I try not too but finding it difficult. Two years ago it seemed all I heard was "We don't want him, play our guy!". Now what I hear is " our guy is a bum, throw him out!".

I admit it probably isn't an accurate depiction of what is said. But it is what I hear, what translates from ear to brain. It sucks and is a huge turn off to me. 

I fight it but can't seem to shake it. I love college football. Been a fan for over 40 years. Since a few weeks ago and "throw the bum out", I have struggled being passionate about the game I have loved for years.

Connection it appears, is being severed. Thanks for bringing this up. I have been trying to say the same things and have been pushed back on pretty hard.

This is just my thoughts and opinions. It's how it feels to me and I don't like it. In no way is it an attack on anyone on OBDF or OBD. 

I can't be alone and I think a lot of folks are going to walk away from college football. I am really struggling not to.

Sad!

Edited by Log Haulin
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It’s a new world, and I don’t see it changing……for the better.

I’ve sounded off before about the hypocrisy of the student athlete tag, and the ridiculousness of it has never been more apparent. 

Top players are looking for the best opportunity to make it to the LEAGUE, and maybe fatten up their bank account in the process. A college degree is not their main priority.

And, yes, the revolving door of players coming and going is here to stay.

This is the new landscape college of football.

And as long as Oregon operates with integrity and within the rules, I will be pulling for the Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Recruiting and now transfer portal are what we have available to root for this time of year. I prefer the Ducks be good at it . Its what I can get behind so I follow as close as I can. 

In listening to interviews with kids like Novostad, and Uga( i cant spell the rest) I am coming to appreciate the job the coaches are doing to create just what they say they are, a good vibe. That also holds true for many of the players such as Bo and Bucky playing in what is definitely not a first choice bowl matchup.

I think the coaches try to act with class and play within the rules that are now in effect.

I am enjoying all of it. and am glad they are not usc

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I care about recruiting. These are teenagers and there is a huge learning curve in front of them.  Some will succeed and some will not. Nature of the beast. 

I have never felt the need to feel close to any of these kids. They certainly aren’t looking up into the stands thinking that they want to hang with me after the game. 

I don’t drive back to Portland thinking that I really need to get to know these guys. I guess I don’t follow your message.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

So much has changed over the years (and I'm a person who is not fond of change).

I go back so far that I can remember going to football practices! Not just in the spring or fall camp, but even during the season. Getting to know, and even talk to, the coaches and the players. We didn't overdo it, but we could chat with them at times.

Players, for the most part, stayed 4, or even 5, years. And I think life-long friendships among players were formed. I remember one time that a senior player, in the last home game of the season, asked the coaches if his friend, who never got to play, could fill in for him on one of the special-team situations. The coaches said yes, and that player was thrilled with his short, once only time in the game.

On the one hand, I miss those days. On the other hand, the Ducks are in a much higher football realm in recent years--playing for conference championships, going to major bowl games, even playing in The championship game. It's exciting, it's fun to watch, and I'd guess that the players from years past would love to be playing at that level as much as I enjoy watching current players playing at that level.

• Great post! 3
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

He we go again with me posting an unpopular opinion in a thread.

I want to share with you some experiences...

I was a traitor and spent my first two years of college in Fuskyland (I wanted to get away from home, got lonely despite being associated with literally hundreds of people, and came back to Eugene and I'm a proud Duck alum).

Outside of the extremely tight academic rigors (if you didn't seriously study, you were seriously up for getting kicked out of UW), playing football is a full time job.  I met quite a few players.  Steve Pelleur was one of them (great human being).  Almost all of them complained heavily about being exploited- to the number.  

They literally spent four to five hours a day at the football facilities, not including practice.  Again, not including practice.  From weight lifting to getting ankles taped, to film study, it was brutal.  I left the school with a 3.0 average, and let me tell you, that was forty hours a week for real.  I would've flunked out of school trying to play football, and I wasn't up for that.

This doesn't include kids that couldn't even afford to breathe financially because of the restrictions placed in them to earn enough money to buy clothes and trivial things (it was against the rules to have a job). 

Add insult to injury, an Olympic medalist was kicked off his football team because he earned endorsements for his prowess AS A SKIER. Tyrell Pryor couldn't sell his Jersey, but Ohio State could.  Future Buckeye players couldn't play in a bowl the following year because of it.

That spelled out exactly how universities and colleges felt about their athletes earning money while they raked in Billions of dollars.  The hypocrisy stunk so bad you could smell it from Pluto.

Thus, the moniker student athlete in 1980 was already a joke.  Kids weren't close to graduating even then.  Not to mention, as we now know, Don James cut corners just to stay nationally competitive.  This doesn't include what is now considered NIL "contributions" to highly rated recruits.  USC used to sign players just to keep them off teams like UCLA and UW. 

College Football has been professional for decades, and the NFL gave them quite the assist by lobbying Congress to ensure kids couldn't enter the league before their third year of college.

I doubt anyone who avidly followed college football then actually believed in the amateur aspect of college football.  It's simply a myth.  A well propagandized myth at that.  There is no Innocence to college football in my eyes.  About two thirds of football players graduate nationwide.  As I said, that wasn't for me and I was talented enough to play college ball. 

After the 1978 NFL strike, it was clear money was going to be huge in the NFL.  College players that wanted to excell just as a college athlete had to train, study and live like an NFL athlete.  It was already that way in 1980.  There is no "walk on the field and play at an elite level" in college football.  You sacrifice just to stay on the team.  

In the 90s I used to argue with a friend about this.  Back then, Troy Aikman and Rodney Pete jerseys were donned all over LA.  I always asked him, if college football is really student athlete driven, then why aren't there Jerseys with the number 0 worn all over LA?

It's because marketing is player driven, not student driven.  The universities were exploiting the kids, and they absolutely didn't give them six or seven year scholarships so they could graduate (which is far more realistic).  

So excuse me for wanting to puke when the institutions want to claim their sport is purely about academic integrity and amateurism. It has not been for nearly my entire lifetime.

Do I like NIL? Not really, but I do see the generous players spread the love to make sure their teammates get rewarded too.  Do I like the NFL style "trading aspect" of college football?  Nope, but I guarantee you Alabama will hog every player if the other teams don't compete in that market.

Most kids are not going to play in the NFL.  Why shouldn't they get paid?  The schools rake in BILLIONS OF DOLLARS.  That is 1,000 MILLION.  Individuals and institutions want their alma maters to succeed. 

This is America, the only country in the world that absolutely fosters individual liberty and prosperity. And don't forget, some of these kids just aren't good enough to play for elite teams, and want to play period.  Kids aren't any more loyal than the schools are to them.

Alums have the right to assist their cherished institutions to thrive in football, and kids have the right to prosper during what is truly the most difficult time in their lives to thrive financially.  

Now I get the sentiment. It stinks that money drives the sport.  Just look at conference realignment.  However, amateurism doesn't pay the bills.  It is best left for high school football (it's expensive to run at that level also).  Still, I get it: the love of money is the root of all evil.  Let's hope evil doesn't creep too far into the sport.

By the way, love the campus in Seattle, but the fans...I'll never forget the Rose Bowl chants when those Fuskies used to slay us.  I'm forever a Webfoot.  

• Great post! 6
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

Recruiting is the lifeblood of a college football program.

Dan Lanning believes that both high school and transfer portal recruiting is important. 

We hope that the high school recruits, with the help of our coaches, will become impact players for the Ducks. However, if they don’t develop as expected, are injured or transfer out, then the transfer portal is a viable option to plug holes in the roster or upgrade talent at critical positions. Oregon’s goal should always be to compete for a conference championship and make the expanded college football playoff. Our coaching staff needs to determine what is needed to achieve that goal. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Today I'm not sure I even want to bother reading about this latest class. 25% will probably leave next year.

Oh brother.

Yeah, this really hits the spot; with all the rain and fog in Eugene these days....I NEED MORE COLD WATER.  Sure, let's take a happy time, and douse it with sour.

DanL, you and everyone are free to share your opinion, but I will state that I do not care for people taking happy times, and LOOKING FOR THE NEGATIVES.  There are times to be negative, such as the 2016 season, the offense of Cristobal, the leaving of Taggart and Cristobal, losing to Washington...etc. etc.  Get the idea?  Those are the times to dwell on the negative--when there actually is negative.

This, to me, is a stretch of extracting the ugly from one of the happiest times of Duck Football in the year.

Eeyore_From YouTube.jpg

Oh my...I might as well go to where everything else is headed! 

On to the CRAPPER!

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/21/2023 at 4:12 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Oh brother.

Yeah, this really hits the spot; with all the rain and fog in Eugene these days....I NEED MORE COLD WATER.  Sure, let's take a happy time, and douse it with sour.

DanL, you and everyone are free to share your opinion, but I will state that I do not care for people taking happy times, and LOOKING FOR THE NEGATIVES.  There are times to be negative, such as the 2016 season, the offense of Cristobal, the leaving Taggart and Cristobal, losing to Washington...etc. etc.  Get the idea?  Those are the times to dwell on the negative--when there actually is negative.

This, to me, is a stretch of extracting the ugly from one of the happiest times of Duck Football in the year.

Eeyore_From YouTube.jpg

Oh my...I might as well go to where everything else is headed! 

On to the CRAPPER!

Well, thanks for letting me voice my opinion on your site.

I was reluctant, but you've often stated that all should feel safe sharing opinions, no matter. So, I did.

It's a great day for Oregon and Lanning Inc. I am thrilled. 

Sorry if it seems cold water to you.

CFB is morphing and I'm just trying to keep up.

• Thumbs Up 1

To the O.P. just look at the numbers: 4 players brought in from the portal, 9 left, and 25/26 recruits signed.

If you compare this to last year, holy cow, next year we won't lose or gain anyone from the portal. That won't happen, but you get the idea.

In defense of your emotions, I grew up a big Trailblazer fan, with Clyde, Jerome and some other staples. When free agency hit and rosters turned over every 3 years with trades, I lost interest in the NBA all together.

Edited by Solar
  • Thumbs Up 2

Now...how about some reality going forward?

Georgia has the No. 1 recruiting class; did you hear about ALL their transfers out?  It was an incredible number, that is the way it is these days, and the way it will be at Oregon.

Did Oregon lose GREAT STARTERS to the portal?  NO. They lost players who for the most part did not play much, and looked to be passed on the depth chart by underclassmen or incoming players.

The Lanning strategy is to recruit a ton at each position, find out who is best, and the rest transfer out.  That is it, the strategy, and it will be a combo between the best of the HS players who emerge, coupled with portal transfers to plug a few holes.  You will note Oregon will have far fewer transfers in this year than last, and as the cream of the last two recruiting classes rises to the top--thus there will be even less portal players brought in.

This means we will lose half to two-thirds of the roster over time, as those who do not play a lot will leave.  It is the way at Georgia, and will be the way of things here.

Can you live with it?  And can you live with ALL THE WINNING that will come from it?  Meanwhile the players are getting paid AND a scholarship.  Seems like everybody wins to me...

Autzen vs. MSU 2014_Jeff White.jpg

• Great post! 3
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 7

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/21/2023 at 5:06 PM, DanLduck said:

It appears coach Lanning and staff have brought in the highest rated high school recruiting class in Oregon history.

Are we supposed to care?

Get excited?

In this day of transfer craziness and nil money madness, how many of these young men will actually become Oregon graduates?

Now don't get me wrong, I love to see all these stud blue-chip players come to Oregon, but by the time I get to know their name and number, a little history, too many have moved on elsewhere. 

I guess I'm too old school, but when Marcus gave his acceptance speech for the Heisman, I cried like he was my own son. I felt I knew him.

Coach talks alot about family, I guess he means adoption more than birth.

So forgive me for being a bit of a sourpuss, I'm glad we got so many new stud guys.

But does anyone else feel short changed, or is chasing the elusive Natty worth whatever the costs?

I certainly understand your point.  Lanning and Co are starting to show their recruiting prowess, and it’s natural to be concerned that many good players might leave with visions of the grass being greener elsewhere.  

This happening can easily lead to animosity, but as Oregon continues to recruit well and play the portal well, the truth is honestly somewhere in the middle.  A program that excels at recruiting and successfully uses the portal will ultimately be looking for scholarship spots for incoming players.

It stinks but this has been happening at GA, and it will happen at Oregon soon.  Very good players will be pushed aside to make room for very good players that fill a need for the program.  Sure, we all lose players that we want to keep, but it’s turned into more of a business model.  In the future there will be many players that love Oregon that will likely be asked to enter the portal bc the program has different needs or bc they haven’t meet expectations.  

CFB has and is changing.  GA hasn’t been extremely active in the portal, but they will and have certainly used it to fill needs.  And GA just signed 28 recruits, they have no choice but to make room.  

My point is that sure recruits are in the business of exploring and looking for a better situation, but the programs are doing the same.  I’m not a fan of it, but this is where we are. 

And it goes without saying that I’m certainly no expert in these things!  This is just what it appears to look like at the moment for myself.  

• Thumbs Up 4

While many of us can lament and pine for the structure of the past, Lanning’s staff is crushing it in the new rules.  That is something to be ecstatic about.

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 5

And DanL?  

I did not say I LIKED IT, but I wish to remain an Oregon fan, thus will adjust to the new reality.  And AllOregon crushed it with a fantastic observation...

On 12/21/2023 at 5:13 PM, AllOregon said:

While many of us can lament and pine for the structure of the past, Lanning’s staff is crushing it in the new rules.  That is something to be ecstatic about.

Amen Duck-Brother.  

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

This seems to be the strategy - over recruit an area of need, and those who don't rise to the top move on so that you can over recruit another area of need.

Case in point: Last year DL brought in 11 edge rushers, and they all looked good. Does anybody need 11 edge rushers??  No, but we needed 3 or 4 easy. So 6 or 7 can hit the portal if they think they are not going to make it on to the field. Opens up more room to over recruit corners.

Lots of people transferring out is why NCAA had to lift the 25 recruiting limit in a single year.

• Thumbs Up 1

We can celebrate the fact that Lanning is doing a great job acquiring talent. We can also celebrate that players are profiting off NIL, wich they themselves own. We can celebrate more parity across the board with TP.

Mike makes great points for sure.

But there doesn't seem to be any guidance in any of this. Anything goes free for all never ends well. 

This won't either unless some adults step up and set some boundaries.

More 100+ year old conferences will be disolved. womens college athletics will be put at risk. Non-revenu sports will be put at risk. Players will be pushed out with nothing to show for it, promises of an education from the university that pitched these players to commit will be broken.

And on and on.

All for what? Power and wealth. Sorry to rain on anyones happy day but we as fans have skin in this game as well. I have purchased tickets, bought merch and cheered this sport for almost a half a century. I have a lifetime invested and it's foolish to discount that. 

I am not the only fan that feels this way. A lot of people are going to be hurt in this trasition to profesional football. And if they destroy it... then what? Everyone loses imo.

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Who cares? College football fans care. Beaver fans will act like they don’t care, but that is what happens when you have a triple digit rated recruiting class.

• Applause 1

On 12/21/2023 at 8:26 PM, Charles Fischer said:

And DanL?  

I did not say I LIKED IT, but I wish to remain an Oregon fan, thus will adjust to the new reality.  And AllOregon crushed it with a fantastic observation...

Amen Duck-Brother.  

I absolutely agree, and I applaud the observation of @AllOregon .  

And like you @Charles Fischer I also am determined to remain a fan.  A fan of my Dawgs, of the Ducks, and ultimately CFB in general.  

I can’t say I’m a fan of all of these changes, but I try to understand that something that is of the magnitude of CFB will without doubt evolve over time.  In this case it feels like a few very drastic changes very quickly, which is likely why some of us are unsure or apprehensive about them.  But I guess that is the nature of this particular beast, for reasons beyond any fans control.  

Like you, I’m doing my best to adjust to this new reality.  It will be what it will, and I’ll continue to love the Dawgs and the Ducks!  

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

I love winning!! It's clear to me that this new format is going to fast track Oregon's path to the Playoffs. I personally don't get connected to the kids. It's because I have linked my love of CFB long before these kids parents got together. And Oregon is my team. With that said..

DanL, I feal your pain. NIL is still pretty new. Getting used to the new format will take time. You should be able to express your love of Oregon in your way. Tradition means something, it's College Football. We are in the middle of a convergence of loyalty, or lack thereof, to individualism and team. 

I personally am beyond STOKED for this recruiting class as well as the transfers. It's obscene what we hauled in. 

Please don't let yourself get too down. It's they way of it all and you will most likely do better if you keep your distance from the players and just think about the Team.

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/21/2023 at 5:07 PM, SoGaDawg said:

I certainly understand your point.  Lanning and Co are starting to show their recruiting prowess, and it’s natural to be concerned that many good players might leave with visions of the grass being greener elsewhere.  

This happening can easily lead to animosity, but as Oregon continues to recruit well and play the portal well, the truth is honestly somewhere in the middle.  A program that excels at recruiting and successfully uses the portal will ultimately be looking for scholarship spots for incoming players.

It stinks but this has been happening at GA, and it will happen at Oregon soon.  Very good players will be pushed aside to make room for very good players that fill a need for the program.  Sure, we all lose players that we want to keep, but it’s turned into more of a business model.  In the future there will be many players that love Oregon that will likely be asked to enter the portal bc the program has different needs or bc they haven’t meet expectations.  

CFB has and is changing.  GA hasn’t been extremely active in the portal, but they will and have certainly used it to fill needs.  And GA just signed 28 recruits, they have no choice but to make room.  

My point is that sure recruits are in the business of exploring and looking for a better situation, but the programs are doing the same.  I’m not a fan of it, but this is where we are. 

And it goes without saying that I’m certainly no expert in these things!  This is just what it appears to look like at the moment for myself.  

I'm wondering if the new way of telling a kid he needs to hit the portal is calling them into your office and handing them a tray of avocados from Mexico............

Edited by SmithRiverDuck
  • Wow 1
  • Mic drop 1

Roster management in today's college football landscape has become...cumbersome.  I appreciate the energy and apparent ability of Lanning and co. to maneuver the complexities of recruiting, transfers, NIL, against the roster limits imposed.  Maybe his youth as HC is an advantage, as DL seems more attuned to modern day roster building.

At this point it is a free-for-all and at sometime in the near future will "self correct", probably through litigation of some sort or another.  Until then it is apparent that Duck Inc. is going to take every advantage afforded them to annually create a top flight roster to compete with.

No, definitely not what we are accustom to and it does, drastically, change the "flavor and atmosphere" of what had always been associated with college football.  Time and change marches on.

I take the effort to follow the outstanding roster management and then start to get excited about players ACTUALLY on our roster after the second signing period ends in the spring.  Until then it just seems pointless. 

So I am along for the ride but I do know I'm going to get to watch some top notch Duck Football, year in and year out. And watching elite level, well played football, is why I am a Fan of the sport.  

GO QUACKERS!

• Whew! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The free market is the best poverty alleviation system ever devised.....said someone wise once.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/21/2023 at 9:22 PM, SmithRiverDuck said:

I'm wondering if the new way of telling a kid he needs to hit the portal is calling them into your office and handing them a tray of avocados from Mexico............

Lol, I have to admit that I’m not sure of your meaning here.  Perhaps it went straight over my head.  I do however love avocados!  I have some Mexican friends that can work wonders with an avocado.  They even taught me to make a very delicious guacamole!  Many times it has since been a game day staple for me.  

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 6:32 PM, SoGaDawg said:

Lol, I have to admit that I’m not sure of your meaning here.  Perhaps it went straight over my head.  I do however love avocados!  I have some Mexican friends that can work wonders with an avocado.  They even taught me to make a very delicious guacamole!  Many times it has since been a game day staple for me.  

It’s from a funny commercial.  The head coach benches a kid but gives him chips & avocados  and the player is fine with it. 

• Thumbs Up 3

DL is paid big $$ to win games and that is bigtime college football for better or worse now days. He and the powers at The University of Oregon are trying to do just that. With that said Im not happy about losing to the Fuskies 3 times. Next year hopefully will will FIX this issue. I say Hit the portal and recruiting with every thing we have!!!! GO DUCKS!!!!!! Im not getting any younger, the sooner the better.

how many of these young men will actually become Oregon graduates?

The student athletes as opposed to the athlete students.

or is chasing the elusive Natty worth whatever the costs

Fortunately or unfortunately HELL yes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nix to the Rams looks more and more likely.

🙏🤞

Is it wrong that I am wishing for KD to the Chargers?? Could you imagine?

On 12/21/2023 at 10:01 PM, Duckman60 said:

It’s from a funny commercial.  The head coach benches a kid but gives him chips & avocados  and the player is fine with it. 

Oh yeah 😂, that rings a bell!  A commercial with the “avocados from Mexico” jingle!  Apologies @SmithRiverDuck sometimes it takes me awhile 😂🤣😂

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/21/2023 at 5:42 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

Nix to the Rams looks more and more likely.

🙏🤞

Is it wrong that I am wishing for KD to the Chargers?? Could you imagine?

Huh?

Another point is that Phil Knight ain't getting any younger. He deserves it right about now!!

Care? Heck Yes! 

No team without a Blue Chip Roster has won a BCS or Playoff title. 

I don't understand why anyone who is a fan and follower of CFB wouldn't care.

Frankly and with no disrespect, why wouldn't any Ducks fan care about the new guys coming on board?

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/22/2023 at 12:37 AM, 1Funduck said:

Another point is that Phil Knight ain't getting any younger. He deserves it right about now!!

I agree. But PK was in the money when Mike, Chip, and Helf were on board and they did not come close to recruiting like Mario and now Danno who has surpassed Mario.

And, put not your trust in money but put your money in trust and B1G money is here now and will get B1Gger when the next B1G media deal comes around.

On the eve of the BEST DAY in Oregon's recruiting history, why not go negative?

Are you whipping me? What does the change to NCAA football, changes that have been happening for decades have to do with Oregon pulling in its all-time class on the eve of going B1G?

Respect the post but I don't get it. In a world of change and that's what the world is all about, I'm celebrating the players DL is bringing in and the next year's team. Tomorrow will have troubles of it's own. 

I read this post and some of the comments and with all due respect, I ask: What in Hades do you want?

That the system is different from the way it was has nothing to do with today's recruiting success. And toddlers and youngsters yet born who will attend Oregon one day will not know the difference between when Yale and Princeton ruled the CFB roost, the world we now live in, and the world they will live in.

SMH!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I believe this post truly started due to ALL the changes going on in college football today.   Recruiting has somewhat been shady for decades given plenty of teams "bend the rules".  Now that it is no longer a secret college football is a major industry all in itself, it is understandable why some are just pining for simpler days.

I'm more concerned with the effect the sport is having on other sports.  If and when the football players start sharing revenue, it is going to dramatically alter scholarship sports overall.  Not to mention, tough I don't watch much G5 action, I think it is totally awesome those kids get TV exposure too.  

I'm hoping for the best, and I completely get the angst over what has evolved in college football the past five years.  The issue is valid.  It just happened to be mentioned when Lanning pulled in Oregon's best class ever.  

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 2:39 AM, Mike West said:

I believe this post truly started due to ALL the changes going on in college football today.   Recruiting has somewhat been shady for decades given plenty of teams "bend the rules".  Now that it is no longer a secret college football is a major industry all in itself, it is understandable why some are just pining for simpler days.

I'm more concerned with the effect the sport is having on other sports.  If and when the football players start sharing revenue, it is going to dramatically alter scholarship sports overall.  Not to mention, tough I don't watch much G5 action, I think it is totally awesome those kids get TV exposure too.  

I'm hoping for the best, and I completely get the angst over what has evolved in college football the past five years.  The issue is valid.  It just happened to be mentioned when Lanning pulled in Oregon's best class ever.  

Right! And your earlier post is valid and needs to be taken seriously as well. 

It is essentially the off season. And with it came toughts and feelings I didn't anticipate. Many more of us will come to these same feelings on the subject.

I agree this thread topic is layered far beyond recruiting alone. I immediately went there almost involuntarily. I didn't expect that.

Thanks for your thoughtfulness with your posts. Very well done and your insights have a unique quality to them that helps me fully form my thoughts and insights even when we disagree. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I have had feedback on this thread, and wish to update it.

There is a time to discuss all the negative aspects of what college athletics is turning into, there is ALWAYS a time to go negative--when things are negative, as it makes sense and that is what we do here.

But I have found over the years that a percentage of people are just "Negative-Nellies" who always look at the gloomy side of things, and when there isn't gloom--they pull from another topic to pour cold water on the good news or happy events occurring.

I have had this happen a number of times over the last dozen years, and my mistake with those people was letting them "say whatever, and whenever" and thus coming to forum or to the comments below the articles turned into a buzz-kill.  I had serious discussions with other key members about how to address it.

I created the Rule No. 31c about venting.  Writing negative when negative occurs is fine, writing about negative when negative events occur is fine, but pulling out the negative when you have a happy event is venting.  The bottom line is that I have to protect the atmosphere of the site, as I do other behaviors, and hence why the rule No. 31c was created.

My Mistake?

Now it is the next day?  My regret is doing this in public, as that is not our protocol.  But I have a temper concerning my own personal "hot" topics, and people pulling negative out during positive events is near the top of my list.  I lost my head and was wrong to denigrate DanLduck in public.  I should have hid the thread immediately, and discussed things with him like the mature man that I was not at that moment.

I made a mistake, and compounded it in the thread.  I publicly apologize to DanLduck for the mistake, and resolve to get better.  I make this mistake about once a year, and after doing it so many times--I should be able to recognize within myself when I am over-reacting at the moment, and need to take it private.

This is why I say..."none of us wear halos here."  We all make mistakes with the rules, and I am not exempt....which is crazy when you consider that I MADE THE RULES!  It is humbling to realize my error, but as I tell everyone else when they make a mistake..."we acknowledge it, learn from it, move forward and forget about it."

Age 67 and still learning...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 6
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/22/2023 at 7:38 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Age 67

Well, considering your youth, such errors are forgivable,

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

As one that has had to deal with my own shortsighted perceptions viewed through the lens of my own temperment, I thoroughly appreciate your cander, self reflection, and apology (public even), I thank you for that.  This is, and always will be, the true definition of a Man.  

It is obvious that this forum is a labor of Love and your focus on keeping it a civil and a productive space for all things Ducks is obvious and admirable.  It must be quite the endeavor and balancing act, but is appreciated by all that frequent this site.

Thank you. 

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/21/2023 at 6:27 PM, MicroBurst61 said:

At this point it is a free-for-all and at sometime in the near future will "self correct", probably through litigation of some sort or another. 

Unfortunately, every time the courts get involved they make college football worse. First, NIL without any limits/restriction and, more recently, eliminating the rule that a player has to sit out a year after the first transfer. 

Thank you Charles for your honest reply.

Point I'd like to make, I didn't intend to sound negative about the BEST recruiting class EVER!

The title was to invite clicks.

Not being a writer, I sometimes struggle clearly expressing my thoughts.

I cheer for Oregon because I went there. I met my wife there. So many of my feelings about being a Duck are wrapped in memories of my youth. I suppose that affects my thinking now.

I still see the players as kids, becoming young men. I'm a people person, which means if I've ever met you even once, you are now part of my circle of friends. Ask my kids friends from hischool, I acted like I adopted each and everyone. 

It's hard for me when someone leaves the program early, it's like losing a kid.

So silly me. I know. My wife tells me all the time. When I played bball and lost my starting spot to an incoming younger player, the coach convinced me that the harder I practiced and pushed the starters, the better they and the team would be. So I did. Won most 'inspirational player' that year even though I didn't start.

So I guess I have a soft spot for players that don't "show greatness early" but work their butts off to make the team better. And when they leave to find more playing time, I totally understand, but I don't like saying good bye. 

I also feel that the winning at all costs mentality can easily become mercenary and non personal. 

In this day of CFB, I clearly need to adapt.

Do I like winning? Yes.

Do players deserve $ compensation? Yes.

Is it up to me? No.

To me, the players at Oregon will always be more than what they do on the field. 

I will probably always struggle with the roster changes, perhaps they won't be so large in the future. But that's on me.

I don't follow professional sports because it's too impersonal. It's just a business. 

I'll need to adjust my thinking to continue enjoying college ball.

So what do I want? What do I expect?

For coach Lanning to continue doing what he has been doing. Bring in the best possible athletes who are also quality individuals. Whether by hischool recruits or transfer portal. And prepare them the best he can for winning. 

On and off the field. 

And someday, a Natty.

But for me, that's not the most important thing.

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Classy and well conveyed post.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, I don’t know about you guys, but I’ll take Recruiting Prowess over Academic Prowess any day or the week!  

Thank you @SoGaDawg for reminding me what the priorities are!

And THAT is why our record setting class of commitments is important!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

What little Innocents that college football had is gone and never will return. Greed and our governing bodies have seen to that. 

Miss managed businesses usually fail and the Pack is proof of that.

Sad we only get to know our team for a shorter time than before.

So I will buckle up and enjoy the ride until I just can’t take it any more.

• Thumbs Up 1