Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FishDuck Article

Bo Nix’s Picks: Can You Live With Them?

On 6/8/2022 at 10:03 AM, Drake said:

I can live with a completion percentage around 60% if we are throwing the ball downfield more often. 

On 6/8/2022 at 10:03 AM, Drake said:

I am not as worried about the completion percentage. Just for reference, Joey was at 55% and Akili was at 56% for their careers at Oregon

GeotechDuck beat me to it.

I guess it is a long time ago now, but Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Kellen Clemens all completed roughly 55% to 59% of their passes in a more traditional pro-style down field pocket passing game.

Actually, Clemens did hit 64% his senior year, 2005, the first season in a different offense (Gary Crowton's spread).

If the Duck offense is going to be dropping back and attacking the intermediate and deep portions of the field more regularly, something like 58%-62% should be plenty fine.

As great a season as Bryce Young had in Alabama's current vertical/attacking offense, in Alabama's six closes games, he was 165-268 which was 61.5%.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Great post! 2

My way of looking at this is how many picks he will throw compared to how many turnovers our D will create. Im hoping this year our D will not only create turnovers but will score as well. So a pick every once and awhile wont bother me as long as our D does its job too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Charles, he threw that pick for two reasons ...

1)  So you would have a column to write;

2)  Keep Ty and Jay in the room.

• Cool 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Also keep in mind Bo was brought here for two years not one. 

Lot of talk all about him grooming Ty And Butters for 2023. 

If they can’t crack the lineup this year does anyone think that both those guys will be here for 2023.

Myself thinks not unless Bo is standing on the podium in New York or is heading for the pros.

I was thinking about this the other day and one former Pac-12 QB came to mind that I feel has some legit comparison with Nix...

Yup, Jake Browning.  I considered him an above-average college QB who could competently run the offense and make most throws but he had a consistent issue of panicking when under pressure, attempting ill-advised plays when being chased by the defense.  He did that at least a few times when playing Oregon.  If Nix could perform at a similar above-average level while reducing the amount of puzzling bad plays to just a handful, then Oregon had a good shot at winning the Pac12 champion and perhaps even sneak into the CFP. 

Edited by kirklandduck
  • Thumbs Up 1

AB couldn't process fast enough so was late with the throws and had accuracy problems throwing downfield.   Bo appears to be much more accurate and sees the field much better.  If your quarterback can process the data and has just a decent arm he can succeed in college.  He does have the tendency to just fling it once it awhile to try and make things happen, a little of that Brett Favre mentality.   If he can control that tendency he can be damn good. 

If not he still will be pretty decent and certainly exciting.  The other thing he does well is scramble.  He's really good at making you miss and buying time I went back and watched some of his highlights and he almost reminded a little of Johnny Manziel when he was scrambling.  He was always just a finger away from being tackled but somehow managed to escape.  Looking forward to seeing what our offensive production looks like with Bo at the helm.  Would love to make it to the CFP but just give me some exciting offensive football.  That's what duck football is supposed to be.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 6/8/2022 at 1:18 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

My way of looking at this is how many picks he will throw compared to how many turnovers our D will create. Im hoping this year our D will not only create turnovers but will score as well. So a pick every once and awhile wont bother me as long as our D does its job too.

Agree, turnovers will be nice. Also, how many points will the D give up after TO. If we have the stingy D we are all hoping to have, offensive mistakes mean less.  My expectation is that Dilly and his staff will get these players coached up and protect possessions. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/8/2022 at 7:40 AM, Quackanadian said:

I will NEVER forget the ULTIMATE head shaking throw.... BRETT FAVRE!!!! Minnesota Vikings marching.... around a minute left.... he just has to take a knee.... he tosses a WTF interception to New Orleans defender... NO marches and wins  NFC and goes on to win Super Bowl.

Brett Favre is not immune to "Bo Nix-ing"....  😂😂😂 

Why!!!!!

I had buried that soooooo deep. Down there with all the other monsters and heartbreak. I'll never forgive you 

• Haha 2

I believe the key to Bo's season will be our line doing a better job of pass blocking. I don't believe they we good at it last year. Can Klemm get them to a point where they will excel at both run and pass.

If they can I say the sky's the limit. We have never had the depth of every position group on offense that I can remember.

I'd like to make a little prayer. Please make it August tomorrow.

He's a river boat gambler.

Gotta no when to hold em and when to fold em.

On 6/8/2022 at 2:07 PM, kirklandduck said:

Yup, Jake Browning. 

Once I got past the odorous UW connection there is a lot to be said for your comparison here. Of course, with Browning comes the wag

image.jpeg.7949b9832b253a01da4700b3035e01ed.jpeg

On 6/8/2022 at 11:46 AM, DanLduck said:

… I think all 3 qb's have the skill to be the #1 guy. Whoever wins out the fall competition will have earned the position and should give us all at least a sense of confidence, knowing he is whom Dillingham believes will run the offense the best.

I agree DanLduck, I think we have depth in the QB room like never before.  I am not too worried about a starter getting dinged up, as I feel the next 2 in line could probably start on 80% of CFB teams.

I also think that any inexplicable pick (not tips) should result in the thrower sitting out the next series and giving #2 or #3 a shot at moving the offense.  Might discourage throwing into double or triple coverage.

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Don’t forget 1981 NFC championship game 49ers against the Cowboys. Joe three three picks and Everson walls dropped a fourth right before the catch. 

Thats a lot, and he was a pretty good QB. 

Bo nix has no picks to date. Clean slate. 

Edited by Vandownbytheriverduck
  • Applause 1

It’s difficult to say how much Mariu’s game day interference with his OC ‘s game plan played with AB’s confidence and trust in what they’d worked on, but Nix’s focus would certainly benefit by a lack of that stressful uncertainty.

On 6/8/2022 at 4:59 PM, 30Duck said:

Once I got past the odorous UW connection there is a lot to be said for your comparison here. Of course, with Browning comes the wag

image.jpeg.7949b9832b253a01da4700b3035e01ed.jpeg

Yeah I had to hold my nose as well but I limit it to just the questionable decision-making tendencies that seem to parallel the two.  If Dillingham can get Nix to reduce his mistakes and think a little more clearly, he'll do well running the offense.