Charles Fischer

Unbelievable: T&F Coach Robert Johnson Fired

On 6/23/2022 at 10:54 PM, Charles Fischer said:

He created more National Championships in three years than the Huskies did in 130 years!

Hahaha! I hear the Huskies are pushing to have all competition done via MS Teams.

"“We are not professional athletes. We do not have access to a bounty of organic food. We do not have unlimited time to cook. We cannot plan our days around our nutrition, and we are not the 30-year-old Olympians that coach Johnson seeks to compare our body fat percentage to."

I'm sorry, but I'm just not very sympathetic with all of these former Oregon track athletes complaining that their body fat percentages are being tracked, and that they're being told their percentages need to be very low in order to be an elite runner. Perhaps Oregon should be more upfront prospects about this process in the recruitment process, because if you are on the University of Oregon Track & Field team, you should be striving to be an Olympian, and soon.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/26/2022 at 10:51 PM, 2002duck said:

"“We are not professional athletes. We do not have access to a bounty of organic food. We do not have unlimited time to cook. We cannot plan our days around our nutrition, and we are not the 30-year-old Olympians that coach Johnson seeks to compare our body fat percentage to."

Don't track athletes have access to "training tables" just like football players?  The Oregon Athletic Dept staff directory lists positions such as "Sports Dietitian",  "Senior Sports Dietitian", Director of Performance and Sports Science", "Director of Food Operations", plus cooks and food operations.  I doubt T&F is excluded.

There must be more to the personnel change than what shows up in this thread. I am confident in Rob Mullens, President Schill, and the inside circle of donors.

They have not been inclined to rash or arbitrary personnel actions.UO has solid and reliable administrstive leadership. I do not need to know all the details, and have confidence that the new coach will be very connected and qualified.

My view is that Oregon T&F should be tops by a confortable margin. Eugene IS Tracktown USA, and a global mecca of Track and Field.

• Go Ducks! 1

The American Council on Exercise suggests an ideal body fat percentage for a female athlete to between 14% and 20%. One female athlete at Oregon whose body fat was 16% was told she should consider lowering it to 13%.

Having too little body fat could impact muscle function and other body systems.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/27/2022 at 7:43 AM, McDuck said:

Don't track athletes have access to "training tables" just like football players?

Before the Hatfield-Dowlin Complex was built, T&F athletes were given meal compensation because the previous training table operation was to small to manage anything but team-oriented sports. As I remember from my days as a T&F volunteer, most of the athletes felt that what their compensation could purchase compared poorly with what was provided by the training table.

At the H-D, this problem has disappeared because they’ve room to accommodate individual traffic.

On 6/27/2022 at 8:32 AM, Washington Waddler said:

Before the Hatfield-Dowlin Complex was built, T&F athletes were given meal compensation because the previous training table operation was to small to manage anything but team-oriented sports. As I remember from my days as a T&F volunteer, most of the athletes felt that what their compensation could purchase compared poorly with what was provided by the training table.

At the H-D, this problem has disappeared because they’ve room to accommodate individual traffic.

Thank you.  Descriptions of the H-D mention both a dining area and a nutrition center.  I assume healthy food and guidance are readily available to all athletes?

The complex opened in 2013, seven years before the unnamed athlete sent her email to the AD.  I believe a responsible journalist should have mentioned that piece of information in his column.

• Wow 1

On 6/27/2022 at 8:08 AM, Annie said:

The American Council on Exercise suggests an ideal body fat percentage for a female athlete to between 14% and 20%. One female athlete at Oregon whose body fat was 16% was told she should consider lowering it to 13%.

Having too little body fat could impact muscle function and other body systems.

Well, when I look at most professional/college distance runners I think they're all much thinner and fragile than what a normal person should be, male or female. They're molded that way for a reason, and it's to get the fastest time possible. I personally have no problem with athletes sacrificing their bodies for the glory of victory, but I understand that's definitely not for everyone, and I think UO scouts should be telling recruits they will be periodically tested for biological metrics to get the fastest speeds. If the NCAA bans the practice then the UO can fall in line with the rules at that time.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm sure The administration of sports medicine at the U of O know of what you cite. The key here is the emphasis of feeling. Thus the feeling of being shamed by the athletes. With that power it's almost impossible for an organization To function at top form.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/24/2022 at 5:02 AM, JDuck said:

He helped us become more of a sprint program but we won the Pac this year again both men and women, and then did WHAT at nationals?  We have WHAT for a facility?  Uncle WHO and WHAT company for top notch T&F exposure?  A company founded by a T&F athlete alum...did he have any say in this you think?

It does feel like it's time for a change

Of course Uncle Phil had a say and given his150 million + gift of an incredible stadium, why not?  Without Uncle Phil, we’re Corvallis 

On 6/27/2022 at 8:04 AM, Notalot said:

There must be more to the personnel change than what shows up in this thread. I am confident in Rob Mullens, President Schill, and the inside circle of donors.

They have not been inclined to rash or arbitrary personnel actions.UO has solid and reliable administrstive leadership. I do not need to know all the details, and have confidence that the new coach will be very connected and qualified.

My view is that Oregon T&F should be tops by a confortable margin. Eugene IS Tracktown USA, and a global mecca of Track and Field.

I have zero confidence in the athletic department.  Long ago (Runge) they trashed women’s hoops, then later women’s softball, now track.  Took women’s hoops a decade plus to recover their misgivings (and I realize there are different leaders from Runge, but apparently the new aren’t looking at historical precedent).